Skip to main content
Topic: Anthropogenic Global Warming (Read 198313 times)

Re: Anthropogenic Global Warming

Reply #400
Gotta ask: How do you know that the acid rain falling in Japan is US in origin?

Everything I've ever heard says the winds go the other way. From Japanese balloon bombs to weather. It seems more likely our pollutants goto Canada. This (2 year old) article suggests China's pollution is actually coming to the US. Caused in part by manufacturing products for the US.

As happens so often with this subject... Both sides are moving towards opinion based "facts".

Reply #401
The US isn't the international bad guy for acid rain — its Acid Rain Program is a poster child — on the other hand, EU SO2 emissions were reduced by 70% while US SO2 emissions were reduced by "only" 65%. :)

Reply #402

Gotta ask: How do you know that the acid rain falling in Japan is US in origin?

Everything I've ever heard says the winds go the other way. From Japanese balloon bombs to weather. It seems more likely our pollutants goto Canada. This (2 year old) article suggests China's pollution is actually coming to the US. Caused in part by manufacturing products for the US.

As happens so often with this subject... Both sides are moving towards opinion based "facts".

Well, I was reading about it in the 1980's, so I cannot doublecheck everything simply by googling, and yes, I got the direction wrong. But what do you remember from what you read in the 1980's? At any rate, it was a known global problem in the 1980's, but for Oakdale it has meanwhile become a local problem.

Reply #403
But what do you remember from what you read in the 1980's?

I was young so that would most probably be a list of things I was taught that turned out to be wrong scientifically.

At any rate, it was a known global problem in the 1980's,

On a related side note; I have a set of encyclopedias printed around 1900-ish I keep. I like to look things up in them to see how knowledge has evolved, when i'm bored and they catch my eye. Can really be entertaining.

Reply #404

But what do you remember from what you read in the 1980's?

I was young so that would most probably be a list of things I was taught that turned out to be wrong scientifically.

At any rate, it was a known global problem in the 1980's,

On a related side note; I have a set of encyclopedias printed around 1900-ish I keep. I like to look things up in them to see how knowledge has evolved, when i'm bored and they catch my eye. Can really be entertaining.

Very clever. You can repeat the same every thirty years to see how current scientific knowledge ages. This teaches you to never have an opinion one way or another.

Edit: In the 80's the topic was not politicised and and it was not politically polarising. This is the main thing that has changed since then.

Reply #405

My favorite encyclopedia is my 6th edition Meyers Konversations-Lexikon. Note that you don't need a physical copy to access the work these days, for example see here.* I make good use of Archive.org, DBNL.org and Project Gutenberg on my ereader — in fact it's the primary reason I bought it.

* That being said, electronically it's a poor experience even finding the relevant parts, let alone actually looking something up.

Reply #406
My favorite encyclopedia is my 6th edition Meyers Konversations-Lexikon. Note that you don't need a physical copy to access the work these days, for example see here.* I make good use of Archive.org, DBNL.org and Project Gutenberg on my ereader — in fact it's the primary reason I bought it.

Oooh nice. I'll have to check out your link later. You've posted Archive.org in relation to retro games before and turned me onto that site. Project Gutenberg is well known, of course. DBNL.org will require some translation patients.

* That being said, electronically it's a poor experience even finding the relevant parts, let alone actually looking something up.

I love the smell of old books too. Has a way of pulling me in.

Very clever. You can repeat the same every thirty years to see how current scientific knowledge ages. This teaches you to never have an opinion one way or another.

Meh. Healthy skepticism isn't really so clever nor always so common...

politically polarising.

Not that I want to dance around nomenclature with you, but: "Polarizing" tends to mean drastic opposition across a table of opinion. You completely lose me with the political part. I'm just not an alarmist. Technologies to burn coal cleanly and reduce emissions across the board are coming online. Batteries in the last, hell, 3 years has improved dramatically. We are moving in the right direction we just need to keep pushing the development and implementation of technology (which is the opinion I've stated many times). Climate change has been a reality for as long as this planet has had an atmosphere and will change with or without us. Do we effect it? Of course. So, if we can damage it thru technology we can repair it the same way.

Change is as much about circumstances as understanding. You can't always force it and there's no reason to destabilize economies yet.

Reply #407
I love the smell of old books too. Has a way of pulling me in.

Sure. But mostly you just don't read an encyclopedia like a novel. ;)

DBNL.org will require some translation patients.

Hehe, I doubt the few texts in other languages will be of much interest to the general public regardless.

Reply #408
Sure. But mostly you just don't read an encyclopedia like a novel.

Damn. I was afraid I was doing it wrong, lol.

Lots more page turning and swapping volumes but surrounded by reference books has always been more my thing.

Dad had a vast collection of novels and such. He used to suggest some for me but I never really got into them. Perhaps one day I will. They aren't going anywhere.

Reply #409
Dad had a vast collection of novels and such. He used to suggest some for me but I never really got into them. Perhaps one day I will. They aren't going anywhere.

Yes they are. There's a time for everything in life, maybe their time haven't arrived yet, maybe their time have already passed by.
Sagesse it's all about knowing the right time.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #411
Climate change has been a reality for as long as this planet has had an atmosphere and will change with or without us. Do we effect it? Of course. So, if we can damage it thru technology we can repair it the same way.
My apologies for this quibble, but sometimes the use of almost the right word creates an impression that was not intended… :)
I assume you meant "Do we affect it?" since effect would imply cause and control, which would say too much!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #413

politically polarising.

Not that I want to dance around nomenclature with you, but: "Polarizing" tends to mean drastic opposition across a table of opinion. You completely lose me with the political part.

As does Oakdale me.

So, if we can damage it thru technology we can repair it the same way.

One way to do it is to go back the way we came. Do we really need more invasion and pervasion from technology that we didn't need a few decades ago?

Change is as much about circumstances as understanding. You can't always force it and there's no reason to destabilize economies yet.

You lost me totally on the economic point there. How do you destabilise economies that have instability built in? They always go by boom and crash, don't they?

Reply #414
How do you destabilise economies that have instability built in? They always go by boom and crash, don't they?

Evident but just tell me something for my curiosity, do you think that it's possible stable economies? I mean, stable and sustainable, economies? Just yes or no, no need for too much explanations,  I'll know what you mean.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #415

How do you destabilise economies that have instability built in? They always go by boom and crash, don't they?

Evident but just tell me something for my curiosity, do you think that it's possible stable economies? I mean, stable and sustainable, economies? Just yes or no, no need for too much explanations,  I'll know what you mean.

Yes, it's possible to have a stable and sustainable economy. The instability is due to emphasis on money (wealth recorded in currency and credit, and trade recorded by exchange of stocks and bonds, instead of goods and property).

Simply attribute less value to financial/bureaucratic instruments of debt and property, and accordingly attribute more value to actual goods, products, and means of production. There's a critical point there somewhere at which oscillation of the financial markets becomes negligible.

Reply #416
Yes, it's possible to have a stable and sustainable economy. The instability is due to emphasis on money (wealth recorded in currency and credit, and trade recorded by exchange of stocks and bonds, instead of goods and property).

Simply attribute less value to financial/bureaucratic instruments of debt and property, and accordingly attribute more value to actual goods, products, and means of production. There's a critical point there somewhere at which oscillation of the financial markets becomes negligible.

I agree but not entirely. There's no way of financing a "social economy" based only at goods, products and means of production. It doesn't produces the enough cash required to.

Of course, cash it's an illusion, thanks to Breton Woods, just funny numbers inside computers.

Let's go back to AGW, much more important, it destroys any possibility of correcting past errors. Economy is just a by product.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #417

And if only someone "smart enough" were put in charge — all would be well!? :)
You're still a Soviet, ersi… You just want to be the Lenin or Stalin. (Belfrager has a similar "problem"… :) )
Let's go back to AGW, much more important, it destroys any possibility of correcting past errors. Economy is just a by product.
Are you, sir, Antediluvian? Or merely Quixotic?
You seem (much like ersi…) to know little of science, specially climatology. The "talking points" editorials and postmodern critiques of science are grist for the mill of ideologues of various stripes. But when the real world -and the science that pays attention to it- disparages your "stance" you revert to Papal Authority? (Or something as similarly silly.) Why?
Are you just too old to learn? :) (Perhaps Kuhn was onto something…? :) Of course, others had had the same insights, long before he was born!)

AGW is a political/economic theory desperately seeking to perpetuate itself! It's scientific underpinnings are not near secure enough to support it, to the extent that the "true believers" need… (The world will survive this latest apocalyptic cult.)
进行 ...

Reply #418

I agree but not entirely. There's no way of financing a "social economy" based only at goods, products and means of production. It doesn't produces the enough cash required to.

I didn't say "based only at goods etc." I said shift the focus of values.

On one side, there's a thing, let's say, food, that has value. On the other side, there's the measure of value, expressed in currency. In capitalism, financial markets mistake the measure of value for the value itself, whereas in reality it's the thing that has the actual value.

I'm not saying that economic units of measurement, such as currency, are worthless. I'm only saying that they are units of measurement, not commodities of actual value. A ton of rye is a whole different thing than the words "ton of rye" written on paper, but financial markets only deal in words on paper. Even worse, they deal in digits in computers...

Reply #419
I didn't say "based only at goods etc." I said shift the focus of values.

On one side, there's a thing, let's say, food, that has value. On the other side, there's the measure of value, expressed in currency. In capitalism, financial markets mistake the measure of value for the value itself, whereas in reality it's the thing that has the actual value.

I'm not saying that economic units of measurement, such as currency, are worthless. I'm only saying that they are units of measurement, not commodities of actual value. A ton of rye is a whole different thing than the words "ton of rye" written on paper, but financial markets only deal in words on paper. Even worse, they deal in digits in computers...
But you did say that you (or someone else) gets to decide what they mean…
I  beg to differ.
Neither you nor any of your political favorites has any power to affect "the economy" or "the climate" or "human nature"… Except arbitrarily.  And, BTW, the climate is something we'd like to understand, isn't it? :)
But you're still stuck in the "command and control" mode… And you don't (perhaps, can't) realize that you don't know enough to do anything.

Please show me the papers that purport to explain extreme weather, as a result of the greenhouse effect…

(Failing that, show me the papers that document increased extreme weather. I'd like to see that, just because I know better…)

Another theoretical nicety I'd like to hear of: What is the connection between the greenhouse effect and extreme weather… (Surely, there's a great deal of "science" to support that?)
———————————————————————————————————————————
You should take a poll, and show that most "people" agree with you! That, after all, is what you believe "science" to be… :)
进行 ...

Reply #420

Please show me the papers that purport to explain extreme weather, as a result of the greenhouse effect…

(Failing that, show me the papers that document increased extreme weather. I'd like to see that, just because I know better…)

Another theoretical nicety I'd like to hear of: What is the connection between the greenhouse effect and extreme weather… (Surely, there's a great deal of "science" to support that?)
———————————————————————————————————————————
You should take a poll, and show that most "people" agree with you! That, after all, is what you believe "science" to be… :)

Ever since you demonstrated your absolute lack of concern for science, its basics and for scientific consensus, I stopped caring to show you anything. You don't think that climate exists, so you have no say on the topic.

Reply #421

... extreme weather...
(... extreme weather…)
... extreme weather…
I don't think the matter is about extremes. It's about shifting averages.
(BTW: you lot should have lessons about the proper usage of "its" and "it's".  :furious:)

Reply #422
(BTW: you lot should have lessons about the proper usage of "its" and "it's".  :furious:)

To be fair, the new averages are somewhat "extreme". That's kind of the problem. :P

Reply #423

To be fair, the new averages are somewhat "extreme". That's kind of the problem. :P

Has Earth ever known a time when the averages haven't been extreme? It seems to swing from warm to cold and back again often enough, if you take a good look at the thing over a long period of time.

Right now we're having a bit of warmth, with its accompanying longer growing seasons and relative prosperity. Stick around, the little ice-age is coming back around for a return engagement, with shorter growing seasons and relative poverty.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #424
Right now we're having a bit of warmth, with its accompanying longer growing seasons and relative prosperity.

Have you ever heard of too much of a good thing? In fact, with desertification accelerating, the prosperity has already become poverty. The evidence for anthropogenic climate change is all but irrefutable. Saying the climate is always changing doesn't change this.

These CO2 aren't increasing this quickly on their own. What other explanation does anyone have besides human activity? Sea levels have risen about 8 inches since 1880 has the icecaps retreat due to rising temperatures. What's been going on since than? Industrialization and the accompanying CO2.

The opposition to do the climate data is purely political and without scientific merit. Perhaps it's because politicians receive campaign funds from traditional polluting industries and the oil companies. Perhaps some people fear that it's human advancement and prosperity vs tree hugging hippie crap.

I can assure them this is not the case. There are multiple areas in which "green" is good economic policy replete with business opportunities. For example, China is dominating the solar panel market, while America fails to cash in on the new industry and missing out of the good paying jobs making them. Solar panels are but one example of industries and jobs created by investing in clean technologies. The market for hybrid and electric cars is improving and in the next couple decades at least hybrids will be the norm. In America we need to get in gear, so speak, and be the ones making the batteries for those instead of China. There is some hope in that area, though. Telsa is building a "gigaplant" here in Nevada for that. And guess what? Those batteries can power a lot more than just cars, as it turns out. I could go on for pages about the new opportunities created in "green" technologies and reducing CO2 emissions. These new economic growth areas will exist if AGW is true or not. I dare say we're on the cusp of new industrial revolution and to say it would be shame to miss out because some GOP politicians don't want to lose money from Exxonmobile and friends.