Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 257094 times)

Re: What's Going on in Europe

Reply #350
The thing is, European Union was never properly united. Every member is using its sluggish bureaucracy, technocratic force, and dripping finances for their own selfish purposes. And it seems to serve everybody's selfish purposes, no matter how contradictory, rather well, therefore the EU will stand for the foreseeable future.

Yes and no.

European Union has always to deal with three permanent fractures or dividers. Richer North/Poorer South; Central Locations/Peripheric locations; Western Europe/Eastern Europe.

Besides that, Nationalist forces grows, Extreme Left grows, while Germany acts as the Fourth Reich.

Besides, English are an American fifth column and nothing else.

Besides, the Protestants keeps their strategy of money worship and destruction of values.

If not enough, the Mediterranean, the Mare Nostrum, has turned into the Mare Islamicus.

And much much more, much more than most DnD posters are able to comprehend.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #351
Besides, the Protestants keeps their strategy of money worship and destruction of values.

It's a well-known fact that Catholics don't like money.
Catholic priests are expected to make a vow of poverty, so it is ironic that the church is actually the richest religion in the world. The Catholic Church owns some of the greatest art works ever made. It also has vast gold deposits and billions of dollars in assets. It also earns a significant amount of income from the tourism sector as the Vatican is considered an independent city-state. It also has more than a billion members around the world.

Charles and David Koch, the Libertarian-turned-Republican brothers, are both Catholic.  They’re worth $25 billion each.

Carlos Slim, the Catholic Mexican, is worth $75.5 billion.

Reply #352
It also earns a significant amount of income from the tourism sector as the Vatican is considered an independent city-state.

Ah yes, I've directly contributed to the Catholic's Church wealth that way. :)

Reply #353
Bless you, my brother!

Reply #354
I also frequent their cathedrals all over Europe, either paying for entrance (e.g. right here in Antwerp) or leaving (small) donations for maintenance and whatnot. But of course I don't limit myself to Catholic places of worship.

Today I had an interesting philosophical discussion with a street preacher of sorts. He was a Brahman. I donated some change to support their efforts for schooling poor children in India. Hopefully I'm not too misguided, but he seemed quite genuine and knowledgeable.

Reply #355
Belfrager gave me a laugh when he commented that Protestants keeps their strategy of money worship and destruction of values.

Kind of ironic of course considering the history of the RC Church and that smelly Bank they have run and was a hiding ground for crime money, etc. It even caused a murder in London once when a former senior member of that lot was murdered under Blackfriars Bridge . Talk about Vatican banking and corruption!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #356
He was a Brahman

Very European.

As for the protestant envy about the Catholic richness (that depending on the protestant mood varies between extremely rich and totally ruined...) I mention the Templar's motto already eight hundred years ago, Not for us, not for us but to Your Glory.
:lol:

Shut up and learn.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #357
As for the protestant envy about the Catholic richness (that depending on the protestant mood varies between extremely rich and totally ruined...)

If the Catholic Church were short of liquid funds it would be simultaneously extremely rich and totally ruined. No contradictions or variations necessary.

Reply #358
The meaning of "glory" is highly debatable.

Reply #359
The meaning of "glory" is highly debatable.

Yeah... charging a 10% religious tax to people, as so many of your Brasilian protestant evangelist churches do, is not debatable at all...
If the Catholic Church were short of liquid funds it would be simultaneously extremely rich and totally ruined. No contradictions or variations necessary.

I don't know about the Church's balance sheet but it has a gigantic patrimony that resulted from many people's donations and wills while cash income sources are not too much. It seems that Catholic economists do a better job than government ones. Probably guided by the Holy Spirit. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #360
It seems that Catholic economists do a better job than government ones. Probably guided by the Holy Spirit. :)

Reply #361
Maybe spirits like this....

“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #362
RC economists do a better job. Hope the Vatican Bank was not included in that sublission??

Reply #363
Somebody's sins aren't justified by somebody else's.

Reply #365
Huh. That better not be Irn Bru.

Reply #366
Meanwhile, the world would be satisfied to know that tomorrow Portugal will vote for a new President of the Republic.  :zzz:

The smell of rottenness and putrefaction continues while the vermin candidates feast on the Nation's left overs.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #367
Kind of sad situation.

Reply #368

There should be a comma between "ex-colonist" and "I." This is an English language forum, Howie. Of course, Nevada was never a colony of the British Empire. That being the case, in what way am I an 'ex-colonist?'

As for us, the Brits only controlled "Mississippi" (at that time, both MS and Alabama were one state before Bammer broke away) for 16 years. The French ruled us for 81 years, and of course, the Spanish ruled us for 6 years.

So in order:

1. French territory: 1682-1763

2. British territory: 1763-1779

3. Spanish territory: 1779-1785

4. *US territory: 1798-1816  *(Republic of West Florida (again a Spanish possession) for 10 days in 1810)
(West Florida flag)

(Otherwise Old Glory flew aside from the 10 day West Florida Gov't)

5. US State: 1817-1861, 1865- present.

(Magnolia Flag in use from 1861-1865, and it is the heavy favorite to replace the current one, should the need/vote arise)

(Current flag been in use since 1894, but was officially removed as "official" flag in 1906, and in 2001 it was reaffirmed as "official" status, so 1894-1906 (officially, 1906-2001 "de facto", and 2001- present "official".)

So if we have to vote on the flag again, and this time if a vote to change it happens, I'll be lobbying for the initial flag from the French, as it would tell Mr. Howie to get stuffed.  :yikes:

Also, my point being, Mr. Howie's imperial arrogance can bug off.
81 years a French possession> 16 years a Brit possession.

Q.E.D.     :knight:

Reply #369
And that official flag of the French was a Royal one representing a country that terribly kept the peasantry down thus creating the vile and disgusting Revolution. Then after you broke from us you spread west out of the 13 colonies that we were content to keep to. You created dozens of other States massacring the population (Indians - seeing you were educated in the ex-colonies) who were the peasantry of the time. Hey!Maybe you were right to take the French Royal flag?! You are getting a bit desperate Colonel like racoon brain.

Reply #370

And that official flag of the French was a Royal one representing a country that terribly kept the peasantry down thus creating the vile and disgusting Revolution. Then after you broke from us you spread west out of the 13 colonies that we were content to keep to. You created dozens of other States massacring the population (Indians - seeing you were educated in the ex-colonies) who were the peasantry of the time. Hey!Maybe you were right to take the French Royal flag?! You are getting a bit desperate Colonel like racoon brain.

Couple of events for you, regarding our genocide of Native Americans, that you might consider before cottoning on further, as they are your own episodes of genocide: Boer genocide, Mau-Mau genocide, deliberately starving the Irish, etc.

Reply #371
Howie is unfamiliar with the principle "Ignorance of the law is no excuse…" I suspect most people who don't have a yen for smaller, less intrusive government are. The motto of big-government types can be succinctly given: "Whatever isn't prohibited is mandatory!"
Doesn't work, for me… :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #372
As for us, the Brits only controlled "Mississippi" (at that time, both MS and Alabama were one state before Bammer broke away) for 16 years. The French ruled us for 81 years, and of course, the Spanish ruled us for 6 years.

You can call it born to be ruled...   :rolleyes:

Anyway that Fleur de Lys doesn't suits you well, American efforts when trying to speak French are always hilarious.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #373

You can call it born to be ruled...   :rolleyes:

Anyway that Fleur de Lys doesn't suits you well, American efforts when trying to speak French are always hilarious.

Mardi Gras is just around the corner. It's more of less obligatory.  :wine: :cheers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras#United_States

Reply #374
Ah bon... in that case, laissez les bons temps rouler  :wine:
A matter of attitude.