Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 156092 times)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #575
You are, you are.....
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #576
There's a new article about phonology making the rounds, which to me is usually good news: https://blogs.umass.edu/phonolist/2016/10/21/hall-hume-jaeger-wedel-2016-the-message-shapes-phonology/

Unfortunately I won't have time to read it until next week. I do think the phrase "language as a system of message transfer" in the abstract is a bit suspicious at first glance because it seems to sweep the social aspect of language under the table.

Reply #577
For those of us who are celebrating Thanksgiving, kill a turkey. :chef:

Reply #578
So what are you supposed to be thankful for?

Reply #579
I thought this was pretty cool.

Jeff Atkins, Can drinking tea help us understand climate change?, Plos One blog.
We were struggling making many litterbags, and we could not find the right fabric. I discussed this with Joost Keuskamp, the first author on the methods paper, during a tea break at a conference, we realized that the tea bag was actually a ready-made litter bag. I was writing my thesis at that time, and as an excuse to go out and do some field work, I started to bury tea on a sunny day. Later the idea was developed further in a course together with Bas Dingemans and Taru Lehtinen, and we came up with the idea to use different tea types as proxies for different phases in the decomposition process.

Reply #580
Still curious about the thanksgiving dinner thing......

Reply #581
Mouse restaurant re-opened.

Reply #582
It's Christmas.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #583
It certainly is and I am waiting for a charming lady dishing out a kiss rather than me carrying mistletoe.....

Reply #584
Another traitor is dead.
Can God have mercy for his sins, because we don't.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #585
Twitter suing the U.S. government over order to "unmask" user critical of the Customs service and the current administration… They should prevail: It's an obvious 1st Amendment issue.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #586
Well, that was fast… :)
进行 ...

Reply #587
The good news continues with the fact that the wee smart alec, Nicola Sturgeon is over in the ex-colonies and sooking in with that waste of time, Hilary Clinton.

Reply #588
Lawsuit: Santa Clara Elections Run Afoul of Voting Rights Act

By Jennifer Wadsworth, SanJoseInside,  4/6/17

A new lawsuit claims the city of Santa Clara’s at-large elections violate state law by systematically discriminating against Asian-Americans.

The city’s winner-take-all system dilutes minority votes and has prevented Asian-Americans from ever being elected to the City Council, according to the complaint filed last week by retired social worker Wes Mukoyama. In 2016 alone, five Asian-American candidates lost despite the fact that almost 40 percent of the city and a third of its electorate is of Asian descent.

“Something is wrong when such a sizeable Asian-American population cannot elect candidates of its choice,” said Mukoyama, who’s represented by civil rights attorney Robert Rubin and the nonprofit Asian Law Alliance.

The California Voting Rights Act prohibits at-large elections in jurisdictions with racially polarized voting patterns, which, according to the lawsuit, persist in Santa Clara. Not a single Asian-American has won a seat on the council since at least 1951, when Santa Clara adopted its city charter.

“It is unconscionable that the city would allow such wide scale disenfranchisement of such a significant segment of its population,” said Rubin, who successfully resolved more than a dozen voting rights cases in California. “It is particularly troublesome because the discrimination is based upon race.”

Santa Clara spokeswoman Jennifer Yamaguma said switching to district elections would require a ballot measure to amend the city charter. But, she added, the city’s Ethics Committee has advised the council to reconvene the Charter Review Committee, which will ultimately decide whether to bring the measure to voters.

Rubin called the city’s initiatory action “window dressing.”

“They’re not promising to do anything,” he said. “They’re promising to study the issue, but we’re not interested in studying this issue. We want it resolved.”

Richard Konda, head of the Asian Law Alliance, said he’s not going to hold his breath either. Mukoyama brought the issue to the city’s attention more than five years ago. Though the city formed the Charter Review Committee to address the concern, Konda said, nothing changed.

“They’ve been aware of the problem for quite a while,” Konda said. “They’ve had a lot of time to fix this but haven’t. Santa Clara continues to be one of those cities where the council doesn’t reflect the diversity of the city.”

Rubin has sent multiple letters over the past year urging the city to correct course or risk a lawsuit, he said, but each one was ignored.

“People don’t give up power voluntarily unless they’re forced to,” Rubin said.

Click here to read a copy of the complaint.
(I'd give the link; but I've already given the entirety of the post…)
This  will fail. Even in the 9th Circuit.

Wes Mukoyama is a typical Democrat: He seems to think that people should vote in proportion to their racial representation in the population… (We need quotas!) It seems to me that this is Howie's sort of "wider" democracy!
I'm sure we'll all wait with bated breath to see what happens.

Why is this good news? Well, the left is coming off the rails… (Many of us on the right knew they were, many years ago. But examples like this make it plain to everybody.)
进行 ...

Population - who cares?

Reply #589
So, it's not desirable that the votes represent the population.
How typically American.

Reply #590
So, it's not desirable that the votes represent the population.
By your reasoning (and Mukoyama's…), we don't need to vote: Just determine the race/ethnicity of the candidates and allot "votes" according to the latest census tally of the same!
Or did you miss the meaning of Mukoyama's complaint? :) He thinks he should be elected because he looks more like the majority, who didn't vote for him…
进行 ...

Reply #591
Your reading comprehension is astounding.
When you reply to what I (or Mukoyama) actually said, we can discuss further.

Reply #592
They want proportional representation of course.

Representation

Reply #593
They expect that the representation should somehow reflect the population. They are not asking for quotas.
So, they are questioning why does it not happen to a reasonable measure.
My answer is simple: it's not the people who elects - it's the system.

Reply #594
I take issue with your definition of "represent"… It means something else here than "looks like" or "sounds like". The city Counsel (and Mayor) represents the entire city.
What the suit calls for is Gerrymandering based on race/ethnicity… (Or something else -left to the court to impose- that achieves the same result.) It's an old story: Don't win at the polls, sue.
进行 ...

Reply #596
Hhhm - city Counsel? Perhaps should be City Council?

Reply #597
Suit yourself… :)
进行 ...

Reply #598
We don't "practice" proportional representation… It's a system for children. :) ("Come now, boys and girls: Play nice! Everyone will get a turn!")
Your opinion of English is noted, ersi. I'll give it due weight… :)

On the example of RJ (and facilitated by jax), let's take this conversation here:) 'K?

String's original topic deserves its precedence.
进行 ...

Reply #599
You can never admit wrong but part of the braining over there.  ;)