Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia (Read 60115 times)

Re: Replacing Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia

Reply #225
You are doing a dance Oaky because if you let your mind think of it what passes for a legal world over there is an entertainment an farce. The Supreme bunch are a political lot and that alone tells you  the farcical side.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #226
RJ, why do you persist on displaying your ignorance…? I'd guess it's LDS; but not everyone would agree. :) (Does the "L" stand for limp or little? :)

Why do you think courts anywhere aren't political? Brain-washed is what you are. (And yet you still have a dirty little mind! Apparently, the term is not to be taken literally… :) )
The Supreme bunch are a political lot and that alone tells you  the farcical side.
And since when has your supreme court not been politicians from the House of Lords, eh? :) (I don't expect you to know; nor care: You're an ignorant fellow who deserves his Scotsman's right to remain such! Is that just for Glaswegians, btw? :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #227
The Lords situation was replaced by the Supreme Court started by that Yankee fan,  Tony Blair. They ARE legal people.

Reply #228
They were politicians… But don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that your system is or was wrong; it's just different from mine. Different culture, different history — if it works, for you, I can live with that.
Were it not for you mindless (…read "unexplained") animosity towards the U.S., I wouldn't have brought it up…

Is there anything about your "wider" democracy that you do like? I mean, other than the sound of it… :)
进行 ...

Reply #229
Yes I am right that your supreme judges are picked on political grounds and tht is morally not principally right.

Reply #230
It was and is good enough for your lot… But we, being independent, have to adhere to some higher (imaginary) standard? :)

Howie, your courts work well enough for you. Likewise, our courts work well enough for us. (Mind you, boy, we don't keep changing them to suit the political winds — ours are just buffeted by such! But we're younger, and more vigorous!) Each of our systems has its problems; as do all others. You seem uninterested in ameliorating problems…
You're just an old lady who, having lost her husband, feels free to nag everyone else.

If you'd shown any understanding of our judiciary, I'd have cut you some slack. But your ignorance apparently knows no bounds. (I think that's the result of two-parts incapacity and one-part laziness… But it could be different proportions.)
进行 ...

Reply #231
Likewise, our courts work well enough for us
I specially like the part when you find innocent a man you've just sent to death.
On a more laughing note, I also appreciate your "deals", justice turned into a business show.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #232
Younger and vigorous proves dash all in practice when you see the way things are run even after two plus centuries!

Reply #233
I specially like the part when you find innocent a man you've just sent to death.
Well, we never burnt people at the stake… Of course, you don't cite the case. But your history is known to all!
You -of course- are a perfect society, and have never made mistakes! That's why you rule the world! :)

We've come far from the original topic… But you have sidled up to Howie, haven't you? (Is it the fault of the U.S. that Portugal is a basket-case? :) Who else could you blame? You've tried to blame Germany; but the one country you've ignored is — Portugal. One wonders why…?)
进行 ...

Reply #234
Too young a place for burnings Oakdale but you still dealt with so-called witches didn't you and lots of blacks got burned to death well into the 20th century. F or a would-be civilised country you were still doing public executions up until before the 2nd World War. And still today gassing, electric burning, poisoning and shooting to death.

Reply #235
Ooh! You're so civilized! That's why -on your example to the contrary- we outlawed "cruel and unusual" punishment… The GB forte, remember? :)

So, now, you don't even put murderous scum to death? How enlightened! Yet you let little girls be raped, so as not to "offend" another's "culture"… It went on for almost 20 years, RJ! And you still shrug it off, because it was in England and not Scotland? What if it turns out, it was in Scotland, too? How would you know?
That's not the most interesting question, which would be "Why should you care?"
You're not interested, anyway. Police — coppers become social workers, become multi-culti ambassadors; and you're fine with it… Indeed, you're smug!
You only want to flog the U.S., which is typical of you.
I'd say you can get down off your high-horse… But, in the interest of accuracy, I'd say get off your hobby-horse.
You're still a little boy who never had to grow up… (Should I call you Pan? :) )

Your problem with Scalia is that he was an American. My problem with you is that you're a Howie, who shames his kin. A foul-tempered ignorant ill-educated bilious galoot, and a tea-totaler to boot! Which is to say, a poor excuse for a man…
进行 ...

Reply #236
To get back to the topic…

Why must Scalia be replaced before the next president is inaugurated? Are there really pressing questions before the Supreme Court that need to be decided, on a contentious 5-4 basis? Is 5-3 that difficult? :) (Some know why it is… :(  But those who do won't say so: They only have their political goals.)
Of course, I'd like to see someone of Scalia's caliber and honesty replace him; someone for whom the original intent of the founders was an important consideration. I'm not hopeful that we'll get that…
There are "parties" that will fight tooth and nail to prevent it!
进行 ...

Reply #237
Clearly this position won't be filled until President Clinton, so it's not the case it must be filled.

Last there was any interest in the subject, you were asking this group of international advisors what would be proper, and you got an answer. In the bigger scale of things it doesn't matter.

Reply #238
Clearly this position won't be filled until President Clinton, so it's not the case it must be filled.
I appreciate your reply, jax; it's perfectly in keeping with European "values"… :)

I actually think Trump is going to win…

I don't think I was "asking this group of international advisors what would be proper". (Mind you, I didn't start the thread…) Since almost all of "them" reject the primacy of the U.S. Constitution, their opinions mean little in this context. And "proper" is an odd word to use… Don't you reject any form of absolute morality? :) (In fact, you've argued against even the most common-place forms, e.g., alms…
Charity begins at home. Is that perhaps why you've been such a wanderer? (Sorry to make this sort-of personal, but I really thought your original topic about this deserved a much more thorough exploration… Perhaps I've piqued your interest?)
进行 ...

Reply #239
Primacy of the US Constitution relative to what? We would agree that it doesn't apply outside US jurisdiction and its primacy within that jurisdiction. What is the issue?

We might agree as well to "May the best justice win!" (in this case in the US Supreme Court), and most of us have no dog in that race, but we may have insufferable reservoirs of wisdom ready to shower on the receptacles of legal affairs. 

Ideally the race condition should be non-partisan, so that the court wouldn't have to settle for the sub-best but party-compatible justice. Relative to such high ideals the talk of a partisan 4-by-4 is a let-down. Actually a politicised selection process can work fine, but a partisan vetting process should lead to on average better candidates than without the vetting. For getting justices that seems to be the case, I am less convinced for the case of ambassadors.

In Norway, by comparison, Supreme Court Justice is a job you apply for. Retirement age is 70 (though a justice might resign earlier). In many aspects the Norwegian (1814) constitution is quite heavily inspired by the US (1787) constitution, back then the latter was new, hip, and modern.

Reply #240
Here's an example of (U.S.) legal reasoning that touches upon some contentious issues, including general perceptions of the not-a-lawyer public: (as I'd put it) Why Clinton failed the DC bar exam — she's incompetent. That is, she pretends to be a lawyer the same way she'd pretend to be President… :)
For those of you who missed it, she doesn't believe in the rule of law…
进行 ...

Reply #241
Antonin Scallia can now rest in peace knowing that the Gun-Grabbing Left have all been spayed & neutered! 

Now we can get down to solidifying that list of Conservative, non-activist  judges.......The Donald will probably be nominating 4 or 5 of them over the next 4 years....... ........so[glow=blue,2,300] THE SECOND AMENDMENT ... THE PEOPLES RIGHT TO KEEP & BEAR ARMS WILL NOT BE INFRINGED FOR AT LEAST 2 GENERATIONS!!  [/glow]

In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.

Reply #242
Well what is "left" in the ex-colonies amounts to little in practice and I would remind you smiley that the Clinto faction actully polled more votes!So keep up the tradition and ensure that the people shot to death are kept up in the 5-figures. Should be easy.

Reply #243
Now we can get down to solidifying that list of Conservative, non-activist  judges.......The Donald will probably be nominating 4 or 5 of them over the next 4 years...
Ginsberg would live to be a hundred, to keep her seat on the Supreme Court from The Donald's clutches! :)
Breyer and Kennedy are old, but tenacious.
Thomas is a young 68!
I'd bet no more than two appointments for the Trump administration
进行 ...

Reply #244
It might help for all of you to know that Trump dyes his hair. Let me also suggest a nice candidate for the Court.

Reply #246
Yeah right jimbro! He would probably want to dismiss the charges against many of his predecessors to give an impression of a moral basis.  ???  :D

Reply #247
He might even forgive the Scots who rejected Christ, in favor of a monarch who's pecker didn't shoot straight…!

But I suppose you could blame it on in-breeding? Nah!
进行 ...

Reply #248
Scots who avoided Christ? Eh? Seeing you are a Yank and will naturally no little I would state that the Protestant Reformation in Scotland was totally different from England and Henry 8th. Ours was by the people and people flooded to it. My ancestors fought for it hence there is that Howie monument south of Glasgow. Indeed in the 17th century over a quarter of a million signed a religious petition in an Edinburgh kirk-yard and in those day a might band of spiritual heroes. Nice of you to try to be a big spoon man in-between putting the glass to one side but thanks for the opportunity to tell the truth.

Reply #249
Actually, RJ, I would "no" much… But you can't avoid your bloody history, a truth you continue to ignore; your contention seems to be that, if other nations have transgressed, yours is not to be questioned.

BTW: Protestantism is only another form of Judaism… :)
进行 ...