Skip to main content
Topic: FIFA World Cups (Read 56991 times)

Re: FIFA World Cups

Reply #125
Sepp Blatter to travel to Women's World Cup final

According to a press conference I just watched, this is not confirmed yet.

It raises some speculative thoughts about possible conversations the FBI might want to have should he fly through a US airport.

In a way I hope not because the Woman's World Cup is a major tournament and it would be a shame of attention was distracted from it.

Incidentally, for those that have not habitually followed the woman's game, the standard there is very high. Admittedly it is not quite as fast as the man's game, but the skill level is very high and the games are well worth watching.

Reply #126
The United States beat Germany, 2-1. There is a God, and He's American!

And to think that Rj doubts our greatness.

Obama will win a third term.

Reply #127
In a way I hope not because the Woman's World Cup is a major tournament and it would be a shame if attention was distracted from it.

The women’s World Cup of Soccer is underway in Canada, not that you’d know it from the sports pages. Team USA played the Australians who didn’t have very friendly things to say about us after the game… which, we did win, 3-1, not that you’d know from the sports pages on Yahoo…
(source 38:58+ on the podcast)
Most Americans just don't care about soccer… It's dull! (Just like most Brits don't care about American football: It's dull, and violent… So, the violent part must be your problem. You're used to dull! Or do y'all just like running back and forth over grass?)
The Mexicans have a different perspective: Without severed heads and mutilated torsos, it's not really a sport, is it? :)

Perhaps that explains Mexico's poor showing…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #128
There have been suspicions of this, but now Blatter has seemingly confirmed his wish to try for re-election

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president says he did not resign].

He seems determined not to leave himself any dignity in this sorry corruption-ridden business called FIFA.

So we are in for more of the saga.

Reply #129
OakdaleFTL is largely wrong about European football not being popular. While there's an element of truth in that claim, soccer for youngsters is growing wildly, and downline that means much more interest in professional football. My grandsons played soccer in Michigan and do here in Tennessee, too.

If somebody had shown me a soccer ball when I was a child, I wouldn't have known what it was. Not so today.

University soccer is common and professional teams are widespread.

Check this out.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=soccer+in+tennessee&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Do a state search for soccer in any state, and you'll find the same interest. Montana?
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=soccer+montana&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Reply #130
and violent…

The reason why no one cares about American "football" it's exactly because it's the only game where the sissies who plays it wears helmets and so many protections that makes them look as monkeys.
Probably most not even needs to wear it to look the same way.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #132
I played Rugby and Boxing at my school times dear jimbro, your "football" doesn't impresses me.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #133
It doesn't impress me, either. I've never been a fan and never will. The same goes for your football. I prefer sports with a higher level of violence.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkdRzO5SKEA[/video]

Reply #134
Ahh Nascar, where Americans shows they can't even drive cars turning always just to the left side.
I hear people enjoys to go there and eat hot dogs while watching the worst pilots in the world. They find it very American.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #135
I'd love to see you pilot one of those cars, sir. When I watch a race I munch on a Francesinha.

BTW, not all races are on "round" tracks. This weekend's race is on a road course.

The round courses are exciting for somebody who doesn't drive fast. I went around the Daytonna track at 160 MPH some years back.

Reply #136
On occasion (*), I've sat in front of a telly to watch an American Football game but I've never lasted more than 10 minutes.

A couple of quotes from this link:

"Football combines the worst two things about America: violence punctuated by committee meetings.
–George Will"

and

"As David Biderman pointed out in a fascinating article in the Wall Street Journal in 2010, although the typical NFL game lasts more than three hours, only 6 percent of the total—eleven minutes—is actually spent playing with the ball and attempting to move it forward. The other 94 percent of the time is spent sitting, standing around, and talking about playing rather than actually playing."

In some respects it's a bit like American TV - perpetually waiting for something to happen.

(*) probably 3 or 4 times.

Reply #137
Most sports seem boring or pointless unless you are at least somewhat of a student of the game being played.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #138
Hockey is nice.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmVG31m6lMU[/video]

Reply #139
As we speak, two talented teams are playing soccer in Canada.

Reply #141

Hockey is nice.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmVG31m6lMU[/video]

Tarnasky - 19 teams in 14 years! Difficult to keep friends in such a sport?

Otherwise:

Glad for England - sorry for Canada.

Reply #142
For the uninitiated:

... and not a crash helmet in sight!

The last try is quite something.

Mod edit: Fixed URL (hopefully the right one)

Reply #144
"Page not found"

Try it now. Though as it's on the BBC, I don't know if you can view it.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #145
Thanks, Luxor. I can get to it now.

Reply #146
Thanks, Luxor. I can get to it now.

For the uninitiated:

... and not a crash helmet in sight!

The last try is quite something.

Mod edit: Fixed URL (hopefully the right one)

Hockey is more dangerous.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh_UN3RuoN8[/video]

But see this.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2408067/Rugbys-ticking-timebomb-Fears-grow-evidence-links-brain-damage-dementia-increasing-number-head-injuries-suffered-players.html

Reply #148
It depends on whether you're Japanese or English. We may need an Indifferent thread.

Reply #149
Well it seems that congratulations are in order for the American Ladies who beat Japan in the Final to becopme World Champions for the third time.

Those American gentlemen who gather here might like to ask their SWMBOs what it's all about.

In the play-off for 3rd place England beat Germany. I'd ask my SWMBO about that but she's Danish so it wouldn't help.