Boris Johnson's going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
Cameron's going on.
[ 0 ] (0%)
The Labourists are going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
Riots are going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
It's raining again. And again.. and again...
[ 5 ] (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Topic: What's going on in the UK and Crown Dependencies (Read 108989 times)

Re: What's going on in the UK and Crown Dependencies

Reply #75
You ignore history I am afraid and depend on emotional granny's Hielan' Hame stuff. However I have the sad news to tell you on two things.
(1) You lot can appear as forthright as you like and bluster because Salmond is going to lose. (2) Brigadoon does not exist! :devil:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #76

Barroso compared Scotland to Kosovo.

However, Spain has its own reasons/interests to not recognize Kosovo or even Scotland for that matter. Namely its own fear for losing the Basque Provinces ;)

Much more acutely and importantly Catalonia. The Catalan parties intend to hold a referendum November 9 this year, something the central government in Madrid has refused to acknowledge. Maybe partly for that reason the support for an independent Catalan state has grown while the support for an independent Scottish state has fizzled. There are 6 months left to the Scottish Referendum, 8 to the Catalan.

The EU wouldn't care that much about Scotland, but they do care about Catalonia. Anything that could lead to Catalan og Basque separatism Spain is against, and yes, that includes Kosovo as well.

When the referenda are well over, the EU including Spain would fasttrack any newly independent country back into the fold, it is much less damaging than if they didn't.

Reply #77
It's a question of timing though, Jax. Well over could be 20 years or more, and unofficial referendum or not, Spain is unlikely to soften it's stance in the short term.

Reply #78
The movements in Spain and Scotland are news grabbers today, but separatism in Europe is larger than just those two countries. History dies hard.

Reply #80
Ironically, the SNP is trying to persuade the Scots to separate from the UK so that they can surrender their independence to the European Union.

(The Euro, common defense policy and lots and lots of lovely rules.)

Reply #81
You have it in one there string. Independence then have your economy controlled by Brussels?!Think too that the earlier view that the EEC isn't interested in Scotland is also correct. The SNP has already been caught out saying it had been in touch with the EEC when it turned out they had lied. The EEC has also said that an indpendent Scotland  would have to aplly as a new country which is what it would be.

Salmond and his groupie deputy, Nicola Sturgeon just ignore things when caught out and doggedly stick to believing they are like Moses coming down the mountain. On top of the EEC fiasco they have been told by the GB Treasury that there will be NO currency agreement. Another fact that Salmond tries to bluster and bully on. He has no plan B  I just want to see the SNP lot slapped down so people must get off their backsides and vote. They are so arrogant the nationalist llot they think they are the sole holders of the St Andrew;s saltire. A while back I made a point of saying that their Yes March through Edinburgh did not have the numbers they expected and indeed a NO parade the year before had 12,00 marching through Edinburgh and more than the tartan shortbread could muscle.

Must say that jimbro does have a point in the reference to history but it is not just in Europe. There are hundreds of thousands in the ex-colonies who would love independence but their problem is they are too spread out and nothing will happen. Well in our lifetimes - after all no-one expected the Soviet Union ever to collapse. Anywa, history will always be with us no matter where we live.

Proud to be Scots - Proud to be British.

Reply #83
You ignore history

No I don't, I was educated far enough away from Glasgow. 
I just never enter into debate/argument with people on-line*, I do it face-to-face. In striking distance if you will. 

Brigadoon does not exist!

Oh no! Say it isn't so.
*I may mock now and again.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #85
Okay, okay, smart alexs so i missed a nothing out. The 12,000 who marched last year outnumbered that SNP Brigadoons. Not that there were that many people watching them whereas our No parade had a whole selection of bands and as said, bigger.

Reply #87
And you just love the actual programmme too.

Reply #88

The movements in Spain and Scotland are news grabbers today, but separatism in Europe is larger than just those two countries. History dies hard.

In other news, Western Colorado is trying to separate from the rest of Colorado. (No chance in hell it happens, but anyway....)

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2022239770_coloradosecessionxml.html

Reply #89
Oh they better not separate or the Feds might de-stabilise the bomb. Horses for course.

Reply #91
He might be attempting to quote the saying "Horses for courses".
God knows what he thinks it means.

Reply #92
A mostly British expression urging someone to stick to the thing he knows best, 'horses for courses' comes from the horse racing world, where it is widely assumed that some horses race better on certain courses than on others. A horse that runs well on a dry course will run less well on a damp course and vice versa."

It means that what is suitable for one person or situation might be unsuitable for another.

One can never be certain.
As a famous person once said, "Not everything you read on the internet is true."

Reply #93
Well you are being consistent on this forum tt92 with that arrogance that so epitomises so many who think they are clever. Maybe I am being too hard on you as once you get beyond junior school things will get broader for you.

Reply #94
The government is up to introduce an obligatory hot meal for each pupil in the UK's schools. Some smaller institutions say they're gonna face some difficulties considering that.

Reply #95

Well you are being consistent on this forum tt92 with that arrogance that so epitomises so many who think they are clever.

We're all clever here, but some more so than others.

Reply #96

The government is up to introduce an obligatory hot meal for each pupil in the UK's schools. Some smaller institutions say they're gonna face some difficulties considering that.

I've asked this question before (just curiosity, as you seem fascinated by the UK) and gotten no answer, but I'll ask it again; are you currently living in the UK?

Reply #99
Firstly.
JoshL you intimate only a part story. Only a fraction of teachers went on strike not all. And it wass only in one home nation - England.
Secondly.
Yep you are so very right there jimbro. There are clever people here and to give you all a chance I reserve my corner to give you all an opportunity to get more confident......