Skip to main content
Topic: Questions to the Administrator (Read 99387 times)

Re: Questions to the Administrator

Reply #300
That's certainly the biggest, but iirc not the only one.

Reply #301
Are we on the new version now and it has no bookmarks?

Reply #302
No, same old version for now. Did I accidentally overlook your usage of the feature? @jax, @Luxor and I had some bookmarks but none of us were actually really using them. Therefore I disabled them a few weeks ago because it's one less thing to keep track of.

Reply #303
I was accidentally using bookmarks, yes. What is there to keep track of in that feature?

Reply #304
Would you like me to look for a backup of the bookmarks? It might be a touch outdated. :(

What is there to keep track of in that feature?
That it continues working when upgrading, that kind of thing.

Reply #305
Okay, you brought the bookmarks feature back, but they are empty now. Let's forget it. I'll try to live without them.

Reply #306
They should be back now.

Reply #307
Thanks.

Reply #308
Many details I like and some I dislike with Skyscrapercity as forum software. It's a heavily customised vBulletin. 

One, which is gone now it seems, was a view over liked posts. I don't think it is worth the cognitive overhead to bookmark posts, but there is a great overlap between posts I like and posts I would like to return to one day. Sure, there can be some interesting posts I don't like and posts I like that have no lasting value, but most would be both. It leads to more honest liking as well, I like this because I think will have lasting value to me, not merely that it amused me or that the poster is nice. 

Not worth the overhead though, particularly not with active bookmarks.

Reply #309
...there is a great overlap between posts I like and posts I would like to return to one day.
For me it works differently: There are threads I tend to return to. Regardless of liking. Bookmarking is useful for finding those threads when nobody else posts in them.

Reply #311
Is there a way to add things like HTML title attributes in the forum posts? I don't mean in literal HTML language, but some bbcode that works like HTML title attribute.

Reply #312
I don't think so, which is indeed kind of lame, isn't it. :P

Reply #313
Is there any thread about "What's going on in South America"?
We have "What's going on" threads about almost the entire world but couldn't find anything about South America
The search function is very rudimentary. It should have a way to search by thread's names so we don't create another one if not necessary.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #314
I don't think there is, but we do have what's going on in the Americas.
The search function is very rudimentary. It should have a way to search by thread's names so we don't create another one if not necessary.
While not technically thread title only, if you tick "Search in topic subjects only" in advanced options I think it's close enough to be useful, and probably more useful in most cases unless you happen to know the exact title.

Reply #315
Did you move to South America, Belfrager?

There's also Bookmarks on this forum, useful for threads that you use often or that you would like to return to but that have unsearchable titles (all too common or unmemorable words).

Reply #316
Yes, I named that thread "What's Going on in the AmericaS" for that reason. That thread is US-heavy, but doesn't have to be.

Later, with greater activity (ha!), we could fragment further, like what's going on south of South America.

Reply #317
Secret leftover Nazi bases? I sense a C-movie plot coming...

Reply #318
Did you move to South America, Belfrager?
Nope, feeling fine at South Europe. Lived at Rio de Janeiro for a couple years back in the seventies.
es, I named that thread "What's Going on in the AmericaS" for that reason. That thread is US-heavy, but doesn't have to be.
Ok, I'll use that one.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #319
Are Mobileread forums based on some earlier version of vBulletin or a completely different software? I cannot find where they point it out...

Reply #320
It's definitely vbulletin (search for vbulletin in the source) but I don't know if they say so anywhere.

Reply #322
We have a fancy video embedding mechanism for Youtube and friends. Is there an easy way to implement it for newcomers like Odysee, Twitch, Bitchute, etc?

Reply #323
If they offer similar embedding features, probably fairly easy.

Reply #324
Will this new iteration of <dndsanctuary> resume showing poster's browser & OS on hover? I miss that...!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)