Skip to main content
Topic: Genius (Read 21979 times)

Re: Genius

Reply #25
Enjoy good classical music even if nothing to do with the thread.......
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #26
I've knowing a couple of people who had extremely high IQs, but none of them really qualified as geniuses by the above standards. I knew a lady who had an IQ of 145 but she held a pedestrian position as a counselor in a school where I worked.

My IQ has been measured as slightly higher… But those are mere test-scores. (I'd wonder why you held -and still, it seems, hold- the position of high-school counselor to be "pedestrian"? Were you a Formula One racer?) I'd pretty much agree with you rough definition of genius. But I'd pretty much disagree with your prejudices…

If you don't know what I mean, answer a simple question: Was Gautama Buddha a genius?
(You can think of further questions, yourself. :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #27
Ehrm, out of curiosity were you sober when you typed that?

Reply #28
Howie calling me out — for a typo? :)

Priceless!
进行 ...

Reply #29
 :jester:

Reply #30
My IQ has been measured as slightly higher… But those are mere test-scores. (I'd wonder why you held -and still, it seems, hold- the position of high-school counselor to be "pedestrian"? Were you a Formula One racer?) I'd pretty much agree with you rough definition of genius. But I'd pretty much disagree with your prejudices…

If you don't know what I mean, answer a simple question: Was Gautama Buddha a genius?
(You can think of further questions, yourself.  :)  )
He was a man who influenced the world in his time and subsequently.

No, I held the pedestrian position of a teacher, and I think that a formula one racer holds a pedestrian position. Michael Schumacher was an outstanding driver as was Jeff Gordon of NASCAR fame, but they touched the world in ways not near the ways that Aristotle or Jesus or the Buddha or Einstein touched it.

I never know what other people mean. I just guess. In this case I'm guessing that you're attempting to make me out something of a boob. There are many intelligent people posting here. They all hold pedestrian positions in the world in that they've not touched the world much beyond their daily lives. I suspect that you're quite bright but have been  hampered like the rest of us.

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.”
― Albert Einstein

Reply #31
Until recent times, in order to change the world, you would have to write a book, or to record an album, or to be broadcast as a phenomenon, or to hold a relevant charge - and it all would take a lot of money, a lot of effort, and should be brilliant.
Suddenly, twenty years ago, for a low fee, you could own a home page and the powers to change the world.
Some years later, anyone could own a web log account ("blog") for nothing and change the world.
Nowadays, anyone can publish photos, articles, music, whatever, for nothing (you don't even need to print or to burn a CD) and change the world.
As a result, nobody changes anything.*
The internet illusion.
* I mean, in a limited extent, anybody has changed something around them, but you get the idea.

Reply #33
I suppose that genius is adequately defined as "an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc."

------------------------------------------------------------------
"exceptional natural capacity of intellect"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Natural"? what does that means?
I see... it must mean a result of "evolution". Strangely, our evolutionist posters are totally absent of this.

"Intellect"? what does that means?
What is intellect for materialists? . Strangely, our materialist posters are totally absent of this.

There's nothing strange, I was just joking. You're indeed a bunch of ignorants.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #34
Far to much considerate modesty jimbro. But nice.

Reply #36
Presidential campaign poster?

Reply #37
------------------------------------------------------------------
"exceptional natural capacity of intellect"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Natural"? what does that means?
I see... it must mean a result of "evolution". Strangely, our evolutionist posters are totally absent of this.

"Intellect"? what does that means?
What is intellect for materialists? . Strangely, our materialist posters are totally absent of this.

There's nothing strange, I was just joking. You're indeed a bunch of ignorants.

Why does your Creator God prefer sodden blockheads who worship while understanding nothing?  Carl Sagan wrote that "...science is, at least in part, informed worship".  If you truly believe and trust in your God, then why would it be wrong to understand and admire the handiwork of His evolution.  He has put the evidence right in front of your face, so why do you choose to ignore it?  Perhaps you were told to do so by church officials who are afraid that science may actually understand all of God's creation one day?  There is probably not a God, in my opinion, but if there is, then our curiosity and intelligence are created by that God.  I would think He would prefer his votaries to admire His universe in all its intricacy and embrace the understanding (science) of it.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #39
I would think He would prefer his votaries to admire His universe in all its intricacy and embrace the understanding (science) of it.

My post that you quoted without understanding, it's about the nature of the property that turns people into genius, a characteristic that makes them specially and deliberately different from all the other people and why it is so.
The only word or concept I can identify for such thing to happen it's the concept of "Grace". It's indifferent if it applies to the scientific mind, the artistic mind or to the philosophical mind.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #40
Mere terminology, Belfrager. But he won't know it; and, even if he did, he wouldn't admit it.
The problem, for him, is deeper: He can't admit the involvement of intelligence… Specifically, purposeful intelligent action. And, of course, it's purpose that befuddles him… :)
进行 ...

Reply #41
Mere terminology, Belfrager.

In this sense, grace means "an excellence or power granted by God".

There's only two ways to try to understand why some people are genius, the physiological way - just a matter of neurons connecting faster or better or the way I'm doing which points to a spiritual not materialist way.
Accepting the first would imply genius to be simple statistical random aberrations that, by luck, have a good result. Foolish.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #42
definition of Genius is Obsession on certain Subject .

Reply #43
The problem, for him, is deeper: He can't admit the involvement of intelligence… Specifically, purposeful intelligent action. And, of course, it's purpose that befuddles him…

You navigate to your destination by a chart Oakdale, while I simply roll with the punches along the way to mine.  The 'punches' absolutely will come, so you must scramble to adjust and try to stay "on course".  I have a purposeful destination and I can point to it precisely at given moment, but I can't tell you what my future course will be.  Why does this bother you?  Assuming that we both arrive at our destinations, I will simply be less frazzled than you--(and likely more sober).   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #44
In this sense, grace means "an excellence or power granted by God".

And so, there is no 'Wrath of God', only nice shit huh?  You guys only talk about your god's love and omit his hate! 

There's only two ways to try to understand why some people are genius, the physiological way - just a matter of neurons connecting faster or better or the way I'm doing which points to a spiritual not materialist way.

There are two ways--correct--the reductionist method and the holistic method.  These two ideas have long been at odds with one another when actually both are needed to understand 'genius'...and many other things. 

Accepting the first would imply genius to be simple statistical random aberrations that, by luck, have a good result.

*(Heavy sigh).  Finally something sensible dribbles forth.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #47
There's no god, so no god's love or hate.
You can hope or fear… Or be indifferent — like me.
But: All you know is what you wish to believe.
(Surely, you see this?)
进行 ...

Reply #48

You can hope or fear… Or be indifferent — like me.
But: All you know is what you wish to believe.
(Surely, you see this?)

Only nominalist nihilists see it this way.

For normal people, when one knows, it definitely means there's something there to know or ignore. When one is mistaken, real consequences follow that indicate beyond any reasonable doubt that there's something there that one's mistaken about and that must be corrected.

And when one has a wish to believe, and one realises that it's a mere wish to believe without a rational foundation, i.e. an illusion, then the illusion vanishes, and the mistake is corrected. So, realisation is real. Otherwise it would not work to correct illusions.