Skip to main content
Topic: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful (Read 110947 times)

Re: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful

Reply #350
I keep getting proof as to how elementary ex-colonists are. They think because of my directness and patter that I am miffed or worse. It could be that the way of thinking is different of course in each country and as their country does not like to be reminded of national and global hypocrisy instead fall back on daft claims and intellectual petted lips! Tell you what. Send over the Marines and run about going "go, go,go" and act like that old sgt rock character. Once I get up after rolling about on the floor in amusement, I will get the local Scots BB and Scouts to sort them out then arrange for them to go home to their mummies and get a hug. I am generous to the limits.  :whistle: :hat:

"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #351
Howie, the British learned in the 1770-80s that their presumptions and experience were not up to a conflict with their aggrieved American "colonists"… They tried again in 1812. Then they actually burnt our capitol! (A proud day, for such a lot.) But -owing to an incompetent line of communication- attacked New Orleans, where they met Andrew Jackson.
Let's cut to the chase:
Although the Battle of New Orleans had no influence on the terms of the Treaty of Ghent, the defeat at New Orleans did compel Britain to abide by the treaty. This was crucial because uncovered British war records show that in October 1814, Maj. Gen. Pakenham had been given secret orders to continue fighting in the area regardless of the capture of New Orleans or any peace deal; he was told, "If you hear of a peace treaty, pay no attention, continue to fight.
(source)
The British were slovenly and reticent. (Well, their generals and admirals were… I trust, none of them were Scots! Who'd mostly prefer to baste in their own bile than take to the field of battle, no? :) ) But -you'll note- the British, of any ilk, ever again tried us — except by subterfuge and double-dealing.

Perhaps that's your "problem": We weren't as complacent as you Scots…
————————————————————————————————
What's Weird and Wacky and Wonderful about this exchange is that an elderly Scot maintains and prosecutes such enmities…

I'd maintain, that such is not an uncommon human proclivity.
Sigh!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #352
Well,  the boys are at it again.  

Reply #353
You quite deliberately miss out a very important basic armchair man. Our military was separated from home and basics by 3,000 miles of ocean you weren't. And anyway when you see the way your place has turned out and the problems facing millions and millions kind of tells you something. You had a long time to do something but proved incapable.

Reply #354
It's a large, complicated country. You over simplify things.

And I never do bad things.

Reply #355
Well I don't do bad things either except on a rare occasion when a Glaswegian has to visit damn Edinburgh.

Reply #356
That's weird and wacky but not wonderful.

Reply #357
Yeah, true. Being a rail fan the Edinburgh to a passenger railway is being re-opened in September after being closed since the 1960's. New stations and within the target date and even better within the budget. Some 35 miles of delightful Border country. My one positive that arriving in Edinburgh Waverley Station it will only mean changing platforms and don't have to go outside! Bliss.

Reply #358
Is it called Edinburghophobia or Edinburghalgia?

Reply #361
How can any literate person not like the likes of this:
Clocked Theresa May wi a coapy ay George Orwell's 1984 in hur haunbag. Been telt to haud ma wheesht aboot it bein a Tory stra'ajay paper.

Jings! Nearly screwed up ma sweerin in. When Ah hud finished readin it oot, the wummin said it was aw right fur me tae take it in Scots, but thit Ah hud tae dae it in Inglish furst. Cheeky cow!

Turns oot thon Ronnie Cowan is a right geek. He declar't in Klingon while daein the Vulcan salute.

An Ah wus pure howlin when Hannah Bardell hud to retake the oath cause she referred tae the Queen as Auld Betty Windsor.

(Howie, all is forgiven! You're a child of your nation!)
———————————————————————————————————
A notice at the bottom of the site which published this diary states:
This site contains news items which are often ridiculous, generally fictitious, entirely ill-informed and simultaneously biased in favour of the status quo and against the Scottish National Party, the Scottish Government and Scottish Independence in particular. Any similarity with other national broadcasters is entirely unfortunate.

With some slight modifications, I ask all popular media to make similar protestations of innocence… :)

I second tt92's "Wonderful!" with as much fervor as I can manage, after a day of dealing with a 5 and 7 year old great nephews… And knowing that that the school-year ends but a week from now! (The 5 year-old has "graduated" pre-school.)

For any lurking Grammar Nazis, a question: Is the form of my "dealing with a 5 and 7 year old great nephews" correct?
Show your work, please!
进行 ...

Reply #362
Is the form of my "dealing with a 5 and 7 year old great nephews" correct?

Nope, you should get a house servant for taking care of the two young (and I guess) "terrorists"...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #363
"terrorists"...
To each other, they might reasonably be called such. To me, they're merely Holy Terrors!
If it were legal, I'd keep 'em in cages a lot of the time. (Separate cages, of course…)

进行 ...

Reply #364
I drop this here because jax's thread about useful innovation to obviate the (supposed) ills of global warming/climate change (…resulting from whatever sends more carbon into our atmosphere) is -if its here at all- buried deep! (I don't want to go many pages into these threads…)

Ladies and jellybeans, I give you — the ZEF Climactic Table!

Rich industrialized nations might benefit, some… But think of the boon to energy-poor regions!
Such technology could actually make "foreign aid" sensible.
进行 ...

Reply #366
If it were legal, I'd keep 'em in cages a lot of the time. (Separate cages, of course…)

There's hope a whole new breed of Americans will substitute the older ones. :)

Silly me, they're already in "cages", much more limiting "cages" than you even dream about putting them, they will be much worst than you already are. It's life, American life.

Maybe those great nephews of yours already belongs to the generation that, in despair, will try to nuke the world. For humanitarian reasons of course.
We're reaching Mad Max.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #367
Maybe those great nephews of yours already belongs to the generation that, in despair, will try to nuke the world. For humanitarian reasons of course.
You are quite naive, Belfrager: These children (and their generation) will never experience despair… They don't "get" your Post-modern perspective!
Ennui is, to them, just another useless French word; by the time they understand it, they'll have been supplanted by more than a few generations. Or a Zombie Apocalypse!
(You'd prefer the latter, I suspect… :) )
进行 ...

Reply #368
Imagine someone from nutjobland calling some other person elsewhere naive or zombie like! Sharing success is anew one for ex-colonists.

Reply #370
William III, champion of the Glaswegian, homosexual king of England. Why would a man who speaks frequently of "queers" in a disparaging manner pick a homosexual king as his avatar?

There's something queer afoot here, and I intend to get to the bottom of it.

First, check out the flowing red skirt.

[more to come on the peculiar historical interests of the man from the EU's nutjobland]

Reply #371
Typical Yank thinking there boy.

King william 3rd was never a queer and was Jacobite propaganda - the same mob who used to toast the mole who caused his horse to stumble and led to his death. Indeed an experienced UK historian back in 1988 (celebration of the Glorious Revolution), found that the origin of this pathetic tale came from a palace servant who was pulled up for his inefficiency and went into a huff. In fact when the Kind found out about the story he was angry and wanted to know why the damn rubbish had been concocted so he found out personally. William had 2 great actual loves. His wife whom he constantly wrote to during campaigns and his strong Protestant Faith. Nice attempt there at a skirt but you kind of demean your grey cells trying such childish pursuits!

The title of this thread is perhaps nearer being positive than you realise and you are reflecting it  - well you are a Yank!  :P :hat:

Reply #372
King william 3rd was never a queer and was Jacobite propaganda
…How could King William 3rd have been Jacobite propaganda? I'd thought him to be an historical figure…

But of course you meant something else! Ebonics got nothing on Scots, eh?
进行 ...

Reply #373
His wife whom he constantly wrote to during campaigns and his strong Protestant Faith. Nice attempt there at a skirt but you kind of demean your grey cells trying such childish pursuits!

Well, it's not something that I invented. Unfortunately, he's not around to defend himself.

Reply #374
No, he isn't here but I damn well am to do the defending and even more so in handling an ex-colonist getting brave. How fortunate you are having a big water break as bravery is automatic here in the centre of the universe. And before I forget you can thank the man because he introduced the Bill of Rights here and it was used as a start by your lot creating that mish-mash of a country and the "Constitution." Pity the principle has been messed up in the ex-colonies.   :knight: