Skip to main content
Topic: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful (Read 110948 times)

Re: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful

Reply #300
Well now Oakdale, I think I would prefer here than a country where mass numbers are gunned down annually and sometimes the soldiers have to take to the streets (The National Guard are STILL soliders whether you lot like to play with words or not). Just recently there was a gun incident and the police sent for an armed unit but an officer held off with a shot becaue he was concerned that the bullet might go through the culprit and hit an innocent nearby. Now over in your hell hole your SS, sorry, police, don;t bother their backside as they just shoot whether a person is armed or not. Usually one bullet isn't enough and it is more. Sometimes half a doxen and when bullets aren't freely shot then a squad of police will take out truncheons and beat a single man to a pulp.

Mind you it is funny coming from a land of over 2 million in jail. Then people on "death row" for years and sometimes a decade for goodness sake. How is that principled? Now Iowa has brought back the firing squad!   They are told to aim for the heart not the head and it is possible for someone to die not right away and suffer pain. Not so long ago a man was also in pain while being gassed for ages writhing about a table he was strapped in. And of course there have been electric chair incidents. What a damn place. Gassing, electrocuting, firing squads. Considering the numbers in your overcrowded jails it tells something direct and gives you no right to poke anyone else. And how often does a policeman get done for his actions? Small wonder sensible ex-colonists go in shut the door, watch the tv and imagine the land of the free and home of the brave still exists!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #305

By the way, the World is going to end this week.

Scientists conducting a mindbending experiment at the Large Hadron Collider next week hope to connect with a parallel universe outside of our own.

1. The world can't end this week because I haven't finished my SWMBO's to-do list.
2. I liked the good old days when universe meant that there was a ONEverse. Now there's talk of multiverses, polyverses and parallel universes.

But for clarification watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJpIclDmi2M

Reply #306
Just more would-be sophisticated theories.

Reply #307
Well, I recently read (…don't know how I missed it originally) John Brunner's "More Things in Heaven".
The relevance will be obvious, to anyone lucky enough to read it…

But what first and foremost struck me was: Brunner writes with a sure and sophisticated diction. He -either instinctively or through years of practice- had gleaned the essential elements of narrative.
Put another way, one doesn't stumble over his words…

Some of you will know what a rare talent it takes to create such an effect.

And some of you won't. Most of you won't care… (That's probably as it should be. :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #308
This one covers the weird and wacky but not the wonderful.
On Sunday, the High Court of Justice imposed limitations on the separation of men and women at this week's Sukkot festivities in Jerusalem's Mea She'arim neighborhood and said it would not permit such separation at all next year.

The court was responding to a petition by Jerusalem city councilwoman Rachel Azaria against the stringent separation of the sexes at the simchat beit hashoeva, a traditional celebration that takes place nightly in the Haredi (ultra-Orthodox ) neighborhood throughout the week-long Sukkot holiday.

For this week, the court ruled, the iron railings separating the streets into men's areas and women's areas could remain, but the burlap curtains used as barriers in certain parts of the neighborhood had to go immediately, as did the Haredi "ushers" who enforced the gender separation.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/court-limits-mea-she-arim-s-separation-of-sexes-on-sukkot-1.390322

Reply #309
Kind of typical of there.

Reply #310
Today I read that "Gwyneth Paltrow and Brad Falchuk are openly dating but behind closed doors."
It stopped me in my tracks.

Reply #311
That's weird and wacky but not wonderful. When she separated from Chris I was surprised, but openly dating Brad behind the curtains! I gasped when my wife mentioned that.

What do you hear about Malia and Sasha?

Reply #312
Who and who? :P

Reply #313
This Malia and Sasha...just so you don't confuse them with other Malias and Sashas.

Reply #315
As my sainted mother used to say, "That's a face that only a mother could love."

Reply #316
Yet another patrician family!

Reply #318
I like the livery of an Icelandair plane, and like to imagine it as camouflage, except for the distinctly un-auroraish orange colour.

[video]https://youtu.be/Ov_zbezOy5w[/video]

Reply #319

Ah, the half-sisters of Chelsea?

Chelsea Clinton Shows Off Beautiful Baby Charlotte On NYC Stroll As Grandma Hillary Announces Candidacy For Prez!

There's a lot going on in this picture.

She's shielding the baby's eyes while the dork with cuffed pants and his hoodie up (And tangled up with the dog leash?) looks like he's keeping her from falling while she enters the road. Maybe because she's wearing the worst walking shoes ever? And poor puppy.

Reply #320

As my sainted mother used to say, "That's a face that only a mother could love."

Whose? The dog? the daughter? the son-in-law? the innocent bystander?

Reply #322
I like the livery of an Icelandair plane, and like to imagine it as camouflage, except for the distinctly un-auroraish orange colour.

Indeed, that's quite nice looking.