Skip to main content
Topic: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful (Read 110954 times)

Re: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful

Reply #251
German is popular in e.g. Denmark, Russia, and South-Korea.

Ya, the Russian have a special fondness for Germans from the good old days. And the Germans who made that trip east rued the decision that took them there, and an estimated 30,000,000 dead on both sides.

Warum habe ich nie Deutschland verlassen?
I worked in Korea for a couple of years when things weren't so good. The city that I worked near, Daejon, had dirt roads, and human offal carts hobbled along the roads on the way to fertilize farm fields. That city is a modern metropolis today.

But even then, the Koreans I knew were highly educated and forward thinking.

Reply #252
Deutsch ist fein hier.

Reply #253

Ya, the Russian have a special fondness for Germans from the good old days. And the Germans who made that trip east rued the decision that took them there, and an estimated 30,000,000 dead on both sides.

The weird fondness for Germans is due to that one of the major historical rulers of Russia was German http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_the_Great
Quote from: Wikipedia
Her reign was called Russia's golden age. She was born in Stettin, Pomerania, Prussia as Sophie Friederike Auguste von Anhalt-Zerbst-Dornburg, .... Russia was revitalized under her reign, growing larger and stronger than ever and becoming recognized as one of the great powers of Europe.

This is why the otherwise paranoid Stalin had incomprehensible trust and admiration for Hitler, until Hitler consistently proved himself unworthy of any of it.

Reply #254
How do I post a photograph?
I have done it often enough: first I upload the image to Flickr, then I do something to it then I right click and save the image address, then I Reply, insert Image and post.
Flickr has changed and I can't post a photograph. I think it is God reminding me that most of what I think is interesting isn't, and very little of what I think is funny is.

Reply #255
Don't use Flickr, or, if you do, copy the edited image and paste it. I use Chrome and it tends to delete one of the square brackets, so I pay attention to the outcome before  posting.

If you have an address for the  photo, just insert it between the  "[image]" and "[/image]" "tags" as I did with this image.

Reply #256
How did you get those "tags", and from whence?

Reply #257

How did you get those "tags", and from whence?

They're available in the Preview or Post windows, the first "item" in the second row below the Bold icon. Pop the image address in between the "tags".

Reply #258
That didn't work.

I just logged in to Flickr and see the problems. First, it's slow. Second, it doesn't offer a photo url. Without that the outcome is a failure.

Reply #259

Reply #260
Success!

Reply #261
Alas, not really. I don't know how it happened, and it isn't what I wanted.
It is something to do with Flickr, and it is something new.

Reply #262
This picture?

Flickr is a pain, becoming a major one. To show the picture we need a direct link to the image in question, in this case http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3718/13135226184_b584352f1f_z.jpg. Flicker isn't interested in anyone linking directly to their pages, they allow an iframe, no-go for a forum like this.

Before, like you said, they used image tags, so the right-click context menu could catch the picture. Now they use script instead. So I looked in the source code, and picked up the image link from there. Incidentally, the source code came with a job offer, which is a pretty well-placed advertisement.

Code: [Select]
	<!--                 _
           . -  ` : `   '.' ``  .            - '` ` .
         ' ,gi$@$q  pggq   pggq .            ' pggq
        + j@@@P*\7  @@@@   @@@@         _    : @@@@ !  ._  , .  _  - .
     . .  @@@K      @@@@        ;  -` `_,_ ` . @@@@ ;/           ` _,,_ `
     ; pgg@@@@gggq  @@@@   @@@@ .' ,iS@@@@@Si  @@@@  .6@@@P' !!!! j!!!!7 ;
       @@@@@@@@@@@  @@@@   @@@@ ` j@@@P*"*+Y7  @@@@ .6@@@P   !!!!47*"*+;
     `_   @@@@      @@@@   @@@@  .@@@7  .   `  @@@@.6@@@P  ` !!!!;  .    '
       .  @@@@   '  @@@@   @@@@  :@@@!  !:     @@@@7@@@K  `; !!!!  '  ` '
          @@@@   .  @@@@   @@@@  `%@@@.     .  @@@@`7@@@b  . !!!!  :
       !  @@@@      @@@@   @@@@   \@@@$+,,+4b  @@@@ `7@@@b   !!!!
          @@@@   :  @@@@   @@@@    `7%S@@hX!P' @@@@  `7@@@b  !!!!  .
       :  """"      """"   """"  :.   `^"^`    """"   `""""" ''''
        ` -  .   .       _._    `                 _._        _  . -
                , ` ,glllllllllg,    `-: '    .~ . . . ~.  `
                 ,jlllllllllllllllp,  .!'  .+. . . . . . .+. `.
              ` jllllllllllllllllllll  `  +. . . . . . . . .+  .
            .  jllllllllllllllllllllll   . . . . . . . . . . .
              .l@@@@@@@lllllllllllllll. j. . . . . . . :::::::l `
            ; ;@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@lllll :. . :::::::::::::::::: ;
              :l@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@l; ::::::::::::::::::::::;
            `  Y@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@P   :::::::::::::::::::::  '
             -  Y@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@P  .  :::::::::::::::::::  .
                 `*@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@*` `  `  `:::::::::::::::`
                `.  `*%@@@@@@@%*`  .      `  `+:::::::::+`  '
                    .    ```   _ '          - .   ```     -
                       `  '                     `  '  `

You're reading. We're hiring.
https://flickr.com/jobs/
-->

If there is an easier way, I haven't found it. But a bookmarklet could do the trick for the future.

Reply #263
Easier yet...don't use Flickr. :ko:

Reply #264
This is what I wanted. Edit the image, download it, and look at the available sizes. Right click at this stage offers the "copy URL" option and that works.
What is a viable alternative to Flickr?
Nice yellow Moke. I took it for a run today.

Reply #265
What is a viable alternative to Flickr?

Give imgur a try. It serves my needs and it's easy to use.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #266
I don't use either. I can do a bit of editing on my Mac laptop and save the pic, or simply post it.

Reply #267
I've been using my blog for storage. Wordpress allows 3 gigabytes of media storage free, and posting a photo I've stored there isn't difficult. Glad to find out about Flickr, now I know not to use it.

I've seen a couple of people here use Imgur and speak well of it, so that option is good. Has to be, it was developed for Reddit, and if you're gonna post stuff to Reddit you have to have a place that works well.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #268
Kind of wacky; certainly trivial...what is it?

Mom Visits Every Monday, Just Stays Until Noon, Period.

Reply #269
Today, after three weeks, our workhorse laptop was returned from a warranty-covered repair.
With it was a letter advising us, for our "connivance", to consult their website.
After an amused comment, I began to be a little concerned.
Why would the predictive text function on a repair centre's computer prefer "connivance" to "convenience"?

Reply #270
This video is Weird, Wacky and Wonderful.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO1ll1C86Dg[/video]

Reply #272
If this isn't wacky enough for you, nothing ever will be! From our beloved Sydney, carrot music.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/BISrGwN-yH4[/video]

Reply #273
Yes very entertaining and the carrot is special to me. The reason being that it was not always that colour and most people are not aware it was recoloured back in the late 17th century to celebrate the success of King William 3rd the Prince of Orange (they got it as near orange as could).

Thank you jimbro and I will re-route a lodge parade to pass your dwelling.  ;)
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #274

Yes very entertaining and the carrot is special to me. The reason being that it was not always that colour and most people are not aware it was recoloured back in the late 17th century to celebrate the success of King William 3rd the Prince of Orange (they got it as near orange as could).

Or as black. Was there a King William 3rd the Prince of Black?

Thank you jimbro and I will re-route a lodge parade to pass your dwelling.  ;)