Skip to main content
Topic: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful (Read 110947 times)

Re: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful

Reply #125
[glow=blue,10,600]WACKY [/glow]

Commonwealth Games will revert to traditional “Empire Games” in 2018

IN a case of going back to the future, the city’s Commonwealth Games in 2018 looks set for a name change to the Gold Coast Empire Games.

The Bulletin learned late last night that Buckingham Palace, British and Australian Government figures are negotiating a move back to using the “Empire’’ description.

The last Empire Games to be held in Australia was in 1962 in Perth, when it was called the British Empire and Commonwealth Games.

The final Empire Games was held in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1966. This was followed by Edinburgh in 1970 when the name was shortened to Commonwealth Games.

The shift back to the “Empire’’ follows Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s decision to bring back knights and dames in the nation’s honours.

Insiders last night told the Bulletin correct protocol for an official announcement would be observed, meaning during a royal visit.

“With the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge coming down under with Prince George in the next few weeks, you can work out for yourself what might happen,’’ said a source.

Reply #126
Look at the date.

Reply #127
... and the .au time zone (over midnight here too).

Reply #128
I was thinking back to Detroit in reviewing this thread and many moons ago I realised that jimbro who had lived for some time in the city and had been brought up there had sad reflections of what had become of it.  When I met the party of men from Detroit about 4 years ago here in Glasgow for a parade I knew right away they were from a better part of the city by the way they acted,etc.

I think for someone brought up in a place when it did well and everything seemed bright and hopeful to see it not just wither but die in vast parts it must be quite a disappointment. So it must be soul destroying and numbing to see how your boyhood has now become so much wasteland and collapse. As I said at the time it was, well, sad. Still think that.  We haven't had a city going like that so hard to imagine the change and decay.  :(
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #130

I was thinking back to Detroit in reviewing this thread and many moons ago I realised that jimbro who had lived for some time in the city and had been brought up there had sad reflections of what had become of it. 

Unfortunately, what has happened to most of the city isn't weird, wacky or wonderful. It's just plain tragic. If WWII hadn't happened, Detroit would have take a much different route. Odd what a war can do over a distance of 3,700 miles.

Briefly, WWII brought Southern Blacks and Whites who hadn't lived with each other and who weren't "friendly" together in Detroit and other cities.

You haven't had a city with Detroit's history because your history is so different. Things that happened in Glasgow's past couldn't be duplicated in Detroit either.

Reply #131
Of course two different cultural aspects betwixt countries but the matter of cities going belly-up in America is a particularly distinct thing but still for the people who live in such a great failing. The background to Detroit has it's own content of course which makes unfortunate. It may well be handy to refer to the 2nd WW but other places did not end up as bad as  Detroit. Wasn't the motorcar industry a big thing in itself? There are as pointed out some racial characteristics that make a play and social  upheavals and imported prejudices I dare say.

In my city we are once the Second City of Empire and built ships for everywhere and railway engines on a global scale. In turn these created supporting industries. Today there is only a small part of shipbuilding left and heavy industry gone but it is a modern and generally progressively changed place and not for the worse. Of course I would agree with jimbro that the varied histories and cultural things make different plays but why was the Detroit shambles left to fester and decay. Once a hive and no doubt great place to live and now a disaster area is soul destroying that those in power let this happen.

Reply #132
I want to watch this later:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPapE-3FRw[/video]

Reply #133
SANTIAGO, Chile — A shallow and powerful magnitude 8.2 earthquake rocked Chile's northern coast Tuesday, sparking fires, churning up high waves, causing landslides and cutting power for thousands of people.

The NSA did it. :yikes:

Reply #134
Sneaky! Maybe all the spied on phones went belly up causing the rumble.

Reply #135
I so heavily hang out with English that just got a weird experience: when I took the pack of sauce I bought today, I wondered for a moment WHY there were Russian words written on it!???

Reply #136
Sometimes I wonder roughly the same thing. For instance, there's some cheap cheese that has Dutch, French, German, and Greek. And it's not like it had a dozen languages on it or something. Just those. Although, I guess the equivalent to your situation would be me wondering why there's Dutch on it.

Reply #138
Quote from: Independent
A pilot flying a Boeing 747 was forced to issue a “mayday” call and make an emergency landing after overheating cows were mistaken for a fire.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/weird-news/boeing-747-forced-to-make-emergency-landing-because-of-overheating-cows-9244340.html
The jet was reportedly over the Irish Sea when an alarm started sounding to warn the cockpit of an apparently catastrophic fire in the hold, where almost 400 cows were being transported.

Pilots sent out a distress signal and received permission to come down at Heathrow Airport, London.

Yet when technicians inspected the cows’ deck they found no evidence of flames or even smoke.

Cows emit large quantities of methane and maintain body temperatures slightly higher than that of a human – the combination of which may have explained the sounding of an alarm.
:)

Reply #139
I don't believe anyone can put four hundred cows inside an airplane, maybe two hundred and that's already a lot of cows.
It must be cat like sized cows, some genetic manipulation.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #141
Some cows might be travelling in the first class section...

Josh is right that as a cargo plane a 747 (or a A380, or the An-124 in the picture) can transport massive cargo.

With a quick change modification a plane could carry people at day and cows at night.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXKzhdtHe0[/video]

Reply #142
Some cows might be travelling in the first class section...

Ah very well. I was going to write two legs cows but I wasn't sure that "cows" in English could have the same double meaning.
It seems it can. Some things are universal... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #143
Unfortunately no cow, but here's a flying tram ride with an An-225.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z--ZStn9r-Y[/video]

Reply #144
An-225.

Ah, the Myra.
Extraordinary airplane, there's nothing comparable in the Western world.
I suppose that only two were build and just one flies. Impressive work of art and engineering.

Russian (and Ukrainian, Antonov is Ukrainian isn't it?) aviation it's much more creative than the western monotony.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #145
Jax, it COULD'VE been wonderful only if it were a train whistling out of there. Well, 9 to 15 carriages would be enough.:)

Reply #146
For a dearly departed friend.........Rest in Peace.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRikXCz_jas[/VIDEO]

Reply #147
And now, for Margarine.. 

Very High in Trans fatty acids. 
Triples risk of coronary heart disease ... 
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)
and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) 

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..
Lowers quality of breast milk
Decreases immune response.
Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact...
HERE IS THE  PART THAT  IS  VERY INTERESTING! 

Margarine is but ONE  MOLECULE
away from being PLASTIC...
and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT 

Open a tub of margarine
and leave it open in your garage or shaded area.
Within a couple of days
you will notice a couple of things: 

*   No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies
will go near it (that should tell you something) 

*   it does not rot or smell differently
because it has no nutritional value  ;
nothing will grow on it.
Even those teeny weeny microorganisms
will not find a home to grow.
Why? Because it is nearly plastic .

Would you melt your Tupperware
and spread that on your toast?   
James J

Reply #148
Wacky indeed.
Sounds like something from a faded celebrity.
Gwynneth Paltrow, perhaps?

Reply #149
Glad you had someone to talk to SmileyFaze. Not being able to talk back must have been brilliant?  :D