Skip to main content
Topic: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga (Read 347548 times)

Re: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga

Reply #1150
And what about Corporate Clinton? She denied some email matters between her own system and the government ones yet the FBI boss had to admit she was wrong. Whatever the Founding Fathers had perhaps thought about hasn't materialised yet.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1151
Ah, Mr. Howie :cheers: Clinton may be corporate and all that, but how is that different from Trump? Yes, it seems she was wrong in using a private server, but not criminally so. I know you're not a fan of Trump either, so let me say that he's precisely the wrong man at the wrong time. Right now racial tensions are increasing in the US in no small part thanks to police gunning down black men, some might have been exactly innocent, but were far from deserving of death. Now the police are being targeted. Here's a link to a CNN article about the officers killed in Dallas in case you haven't heard yet.

Let me explain how this relates to Trump. He's is the man that inflames racial tensions in the name of not being politically correct, often by not being factually correct either. The violence between officers and black people (yes, Oakdale including black people targeting police as well....) will only escalate under Trump. He'll encourage shakedowns of black people and probably hispanics as well, which will foster more resentment and create more incidents of violence. Even his rhetoric at rallies incited violence between whites and minorities. Of course, I'm not blaming Trump for those officers getting shot. What I am saying this that what he'll do and say will lead to more incidents like this.

I have every confidence in Trump's ability to rip this country apart along racial and ethnic lines. This is not an endorsement of Clinton. This is keep Trump the hell out of the White House. I don't know that Clinton can heal America's wounds, but at least she won't keep picking and scratching at them.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #1152
I guess in summary, it's better to have someone "corporate" than an insane moron like Trump.

“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

Reply #1153
Trump vows to protect Article XII of the constitution. . Okay, he actually vowed to  The only problem is there are only seven articles to the US constitution, His jackass supporters don't care about his total ignorance, however. Maybe he meant the 12 amendment, which is the procedure for electing the president even though that was never under threat?

Reply #1154
I think in assessing midnight that the problem is in a true to life fact that the electoral system does need a kind of revolution. Clinton got two six figure sums from the banking sector was it for two talks. What is a sadness is that someone like Trump can get so far in a civilised society. One commentator recently thought it was touching on my feeling that it is the frustration of so many people on he actual system.  My former Glasgow friend living in California for decades as I indicated is totally embarrassed by Trump in the running. Clinton if I stretch it is the lesser of two evils but also sadly will not be an answer. On the global stage i feel she will be strident and confrontational and internally with all the stress on the economy the overinflated military budget, unemployment and the large numbers of unemployed make no difference. Just a pity that sanders impressive advance was not some time ago and when he is as now limited by age. That so many young people were taken by him and ignored the big money freedom of the Republicans and the democrats.

If only there was in hard practice a far wider political framework like other progressive nations it would be far better. Trump may shockingly get in the late 30% corner in votes which is bad but Clinton will win and I am afraid that all those thinking and progressive minded Americans who want to see genuine and wider progress will be disappointed.  There are many, many Americans who must be frustrated and on a passing note that there is no limit on spending for the Presidential does not help. At the same time that so many were taken on by Senator Sanders was progressive and valued thing but the money is not there and with only Clinton to get stuck with as Trump is a complete bampot and a damnable disgrace to the decents. So yep she will win but she will have a job containing her arrogance, etc and locally ang globally not be a great help. So trump will be dead in the water but how someone like that could get to this stage is a deep and  sad matter to so many decent people.

Reply #1155
I'd expect, Howie, that your own "wider" democracy would trouble you more — what with Brexit, and all. But I'd be wrong, of course.
Schadenfreude is the only pleasure left to one like you… :(
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1156
Yes you are wrong. Trump would get laughed at and be nowhere and corporate Clinton likewise.

Reply #1157
But Great Briton is out of the EU, and Scotland is reconsidering leaving the "united" Kingdom… Your Prime Minister has resigned, and those who'd step up are —well, shall we say, back-benchers? :)
It's true, Europeans laugh at Americans. Will they still laugh when our money doesn't flow to them?

I wish Great Briton well, and Europe too — as a whole. But you "first-worlders" need a reality check!
进行 ...

Reply #1158
It's true, Europeans laugh at Americans. Will they still laugh when our money doesn't flow to them?
Indeed it would be a disaster.  :o
Hard to imagine: No more 'painted' revolutions, no more bribery of corrupt politicians abroad, less meddling in internal affairs of foreign countries, less puppets,...

I wish Great Briton well, and Europe too — as a whole. But you "first-worlders" need a reality check!
Taking lessons from our great role models like G.W. Bush, B. Obama, H. Clinton or D. Trump?  :left:

Reply #1159
Indeed it would be a disaster.  :o
Hard to imagine: No more 'painted' revolutions, no more bribery of corrupt politicians abroad, less meddling in internal affairs of foreign countries, less puppets,...
Come now @krake , it's been going on since the late 1800's when @rjhowie 's ancestors and the English were directing them. Surely you don't want the torch to pass from the unruly eldest son of the UK to..........the Aussies and @tt92 ?   :yikes:

Or even........the French?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But let's be honest; even if we weren't directing it, someone else would. "The  :devil:  you know and all that."   :left:

Reply #1160
Well excuse me sonny. The BRITISH Empire was very much supervised administration wise by Scots as it happens. Shows the intelligence lack in skipping what the great America does in the world interfering, de-stabilising those it doesn't like or finding an excuse to invade them an use the places as part of a global financial empire. At the same time when you see the way America is run, political and moral corruption is a tradition over there. In our colonies legal situations were set up and were progressive and not laden with corruption like the US empire - and the country itself.

You poor folk cannot even run your own nation properly. The situation of two corporate parties makes no damn difference to the tens of millions of poor the violent society (especially if black), immoral police and people who cannot get their health dealt with.  Going back deep into history on somewhere else because you cannot argue on the present mess your own place is in does not say much for education  over there! Mind you on a lesser note you have one advantage in that you cannot be called a Yank so yippee for that.

Reply #1161
Well excuse me sonny. The BRITISH Empire was very much supervised administration wise by Scots as it happens. Shows the intelligence lack in skipping what the great America does in the world interfering, de-stabilising those it doesn't like or finding an excuse to invade them an use the places as part of a global financial empire. At the same time when you see the way America is run, political and moral corruption is a tradition over there. In our colonies legal situations were set up and were progressive and not laden with corruption like the US empire - and the country itself.

You poor folk cannot even run your own nation properly. The situation of two corporate parties makes no damn difference to the tens of millions of poor the violent society (especially if black), immoral police and people who cannot get their health dealt with.  Going back deep into history on somewhere else because you cannot argue on the present mess your own place is in does not say much for education  over there! Mind you on a lesser note you have one advantage in that you cannot be called a Yank so yippee for that.
Couple of notes here:

1. Thank you kindly for being quite correct in your last sentence! :cheers:  ( <-- Diet Irn Bru )

2. Yes, I am quite aware of the Scottish influence on the BE, hence why I gave your lot credit first, then the English. :)

3. Please do carry on cottoning on about how we can't run our nation, when your lot have just had a complete and utter national AND political collapse, are facing an inevitable and impending economic collapse, and your youth and other young are fleeing the UK's shores just as fast as they can. They are fleeing to Europe, here, Canada, etc.

4. Corresponding to #4, tell me more about that educational divide that is apparently also lacking in Scotland, being as how you are turning a blind eye to the final death throes of a once great and proud UNITED union of nations, which will cease to exist in two years time or sooner, as your Scotland and N. Ireland will be leaving England and Wales at the conclusion (or before) Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is concluded by PM May. :sherlock: .

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Wz8ig2y9Y[/video]

Reply #1162
There's a reason the Scots are now all but forgotten… (But their early intellectual lights still shine, over here. Although they're rejected by the "enlightened" modern Scot! :) )
进行 ...

Reply #1163
At the same time when you see the way America is run, political and moral corruption is a tradition over there. In our colonies legal situations were set up and were progressive and not laden with corruption like the US empire - and the country itself.
Okay, Howie. In your previous post you were largely correct about the poor state of the American electoral system. I mean with a nation the size of the US, the best we can come up with for presidential candidates is Clinton and Trump (Gary Johnson is running for the Libertarian Party and I've seen polls showing him at 10% but  doubt that will actually translate into 10% of the votes.)

But what's happening with UK? Brexit and now Scotland threatens to leave the UK for the second time in two years, with a stronger case this time around. Something is going very wrong on your side of the pond as well.

Reply #1164
Something is going very wrong on your side of the pond as well.
It's called "democracy," Sang. It has a long history, that they don't bother to teach in schools anymore…
进行 ...

Reply #1165
Come now @krake , it's been going on since the late 1800's when @rjhowie 's ancestors and the English were directing them. Surely you don't want the torch to pass from the unruly eldest son of the UK to..........the Aussies and @tt92:yikes:

No, I don't. Not even to today's UK. It would be unfair to blame present generations for what happened in the past.
At the same time the past shouldn't be used as a pretext or even an excuse for present 'misbehaviour'.
E.g. it would be insane to blame T. Blair for what happened centuries ago but for things that happened under his administration he would deserve to face the criminal court. I'm not naive and I know that it won't happen. Otherwise, T. Blair is just an example among several...

But let's be honest; even if we weren't directing it, someone else would.
Quite possibly. But would the above statement also qualify as a valid pretext or even as an excuse for a fool's license?
BTW, that's also the reason I'd favor a multipolar world.

"The  :devil:  you know and all that."  :left:
I know, the :devil:, it's us. Part of the human nature, a shortcoming of His creation. We have to deal with it. :)

------------

:) As for Amy Macdonald:
[video]https://youtu.be/hyrcQCYcn08[/video]

Reply #1166
Nice Glasgow touch there - of course!

Southern boy you really are getting too near to being like Oakdale so watch out. Collapse? What rubbish and typical of his mindset. The Prime Minister intended to go later this year but stepped down as he lost the Referendum. Fair enough and the Conservatives narrowed down to 2 with one standing down and Mr May would have won that anyway so she wil be off to Buckingham palace to be sworn in; It is the Labour Party in a mes that is all. The House of Commonsis far more representative than your joke on ther 'Hill and only one party is cracking.

On another level the Empire was part of history so came and went but the Commonwealth has dozens of countries in it and something your lot could never have done. Instead you have a hopeless system run by money and people are increasingly getting strained by it hence the surprising support for Sanders. Equally but although an idiot look at the support trump gets. He would get nowhere here and he is a total embarrassment and in theory a nutcase who could endanger the world. So going back to the thread as you and others who do not support either the Republicans or democrats are left in a corner whereas our parliament covers both national and regional representatives. Whatever the would-be intention of your founding posh lot had centuries ago it was lost a long time ago.  So having been brained from an early age about being propagated by the greatest place in the world mentality and flags everywhere except the toilet it is I suppose in being fair you cannot help being passingly funny but a damnable indictment reacting as you do. Imagine a "progressive country" having a man like Trump as one of two possibles to be Head of State (along with only 2 parties) and official war starter! Hahha, it is funny but an indictment of the mess.

Visited the place twice years ago but glad I don't live in it as it is a paper democracy!  :faint:

Reply #1167
Back to the election and away from reading about about the British Empire through rose tinted glasses, Sanders has endorsed Hillary. What choice did he have? He lost the primary so it's either her or a quasi-fascist madman.

Reply #1168
Oh heavens an ex-colonist waxing on rose coloured specs, haha!

There will be those amongst the young who flocked to Sanders who are not so happy because they feel done in. She will win the election but the points I make midnight raccoon about it making no difference to millions inside the country will be shown and I am afraid in the world another dangerous stirrer.

Reply #1169
'Open carry' gun law gives Cleveland a headache for Republican convention

Prohibited items range from glass bottles to lengths of rope and knives, and from tennis balls to lasers, gas masks, sledgehammers and drones, according to a list issued by the Cleveland authorities. Umbrellas with sharp tips are banned. So are pellet guns. But ordinary guns and bullets must be permitted if legally toted, because of an Ohio law that carrying a firearm is not prohibited.

Reply #1170
Nice Glasgow touch there - of course!

Southern boy you really are getting too near to being like Oakdale so watch out. Collapse? What rubbish and typical of his mindset. The Prime Minister intended to go later this year but stepped down as he lost the Referendum. Fair enough and the Conservatives narrowed down to 2 with one standing down and Mr May would have won that anyway so she wil be off to Buckingham palace to be sworn in; It is the Labour Party in a mes that is all. The House of Commonsis far more representative than your joke on ther 'Hill and only one party is cracking.

On another level the Empire was part of history so came and went but the Commonwealth has dozens of countries in it and something your lot could never have done. Instead you have a hopeless system run by money and people are increasingly getting strained by it hence the surprising support for Sanders. Equally but although an idiot look at the support trump gets. He would get nowhere here and he is a total embarrassment and in theory a nutcase who could endanger the world. So going back to the thread as you and others who do not support either the Republicans or democrats are left in a corner whereas our parliament covers both national and regional representatives. Whatever the would-be intention of your founding posh lot had centuries ago it was lost a long time ago.  So having been brained from an early age about being propagated by the greatest place in the world mentality and flags everywhere except the toilet it is I suppose in being fair you cannot help being passingly funny but a damnable indictment reacting as you do. Imagine a "progressive country" having a man like Trump as one of two possibles to be Head of State (along with only 2 parties) and official war starter! Hahha, it is funny but an indictment of the mess.

Visited the place twice years ago but glad I don't live in it as it is a paper democracy!  :faint:
1. Nonsense, Mr. Howie. The Pig Fornicator and worst UK PM in recent history had stated he wanted to step down in 2017, not 2016. Kindly don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. Not only did I do an in-depth study of you lot's politics when I was over there, I scored the highest on the semester-ending exam with full-marks and bonus points. Furthermore, I remain in contact with friends of mine involved in politics over there, from the Labour lot, Tories, and even the Lib Dems.

2. I will say that the Tories have put on a good public face, but one has to wonder if they truly have reconciled?

3. Good that you aren't denying the high level of involvement that the Scots had in he BE. Kenya and Ireland will never forget for sure.

4. On another note, I do want to know your take on Mrs. May, as it is well known she is a Type 1 Diabetic. Do you think as a result, education about diabetes and it's treatment will improve under her watch?

Reply #1171
Did Newt jump the shark? :)

Former Speaker of the House of Representatives Newt Gingrich said:
“Let me be as blunt and direct as I can be. Western civilization is in a war. We should frankly test every person here who is of a Muslim background, and if they believe in Shari‘a, they should be deported,” Gingrich said in an interview Thursday on Fox News. “Shari‘a is incompatible with Western civilization. Modern Muslims who have given up Shari‘a, glad to have them as citizens. Perfectly happy to have them next door.”
(source)
I've been saying this for years… (But you'all know me!)
Since Gingrich has not been selected as Trump's VP running-mate, he may have been freed to argue he'd be a good Secretary of State!

He'd get an enthusiastic nod from me. How about you?
(French citizens and their neighbors are excused from answering — a period of mourning is what civilized people expect and accept; including Muslims. Is Newt wrong? Most Muslims aren't jihadists, but all those who yearn for Shari'a would be, if they could. Well, they're supposed to… Should we allow them into our homeland? You know, Dar al Harb…  )

BTW: I assume that the U.S. will be the last bastion of western civilization… :(
进行 ...

Reply #1172
Usual junk form the grey clad boy - of course. One has to realise what country he was educated in of course so understandable. Interesting he singles out Kenya and Ireland. Since they got independence Kenya been a mess and may I also remind that Ireland (not all of it for his limited education) was not independent) was crawling for decades unable to do much on itself until it rushed to join the EU and like other smalle places like Portugal and Greece the begging bowl was out.  Ireland is now getting back on it's pa feet and WE loaned it 7 billion to help by the way. Tell you what boy you try and form a Commonwealth on all the places you hce invaded, warred or economically taken over.  Yes the British PM was going to stand down before the next General Election but as had been so strong for being IN felt in principle the right thing to do. When you get a principled President I will send you a crate of Irn Bru but th cost of that is permanently safe. The new Prime minister nd cabinet has been quick, good and a future.

Now having as Americans normally do in this damn forum and unable to face things that are so obviously wrong in their own corner may I emphasise the thread and the wonky thing that passes for "democracy in gun totin' nutjobland.

Just look at the choice over there. A man that is unbelievable being one of 2 challenges for leadership of a country that sticks it's neb into everyone else's business and affairs.  Trump has not only been an embarrassment to sensible and concerned people who exist over there but made the country an almost laughing stock in the world at large which is a damn shame. Clinton is a hawk and will be too on the world stage. The senator who was being directly different even if behind comes out and publicly endorses that lying hawk of a woman? Many especially of the younger generation have been let down by that after all he stood for in the world of overdue change.

Do I wish tht America had a wider system than 2 major money controlled parties? Yes, I dashed well do and you Southern ladie must be frustrated too as you are not of either of the two. Instead of desperately diverting off unable to face the problems use the grey cells.

Meantime that yakky hawkish woman will win but what a joke the Presidential race has been. When Obama goes he will not be historically a champion but fits in well with the tradition.

Reply #1173
rohibited items range from glass bottles to lengths of rope and knives, and from tennis balls to lasers, gas masks, sledgehammers and drones, according to a list issued by the Cleveland authorities. Umbrellas with sharp tips are banned. So are pellet guns. But ordinary guns and bullets must be permitted if legally toted, because of an Ohio law that carrying a firearm is not prohibited.
So you can walk in with an AR15 but not a knife. Such is the genius of GOP policy. If the Dallas shootings should tell the Republicans anything, it's that somebody walking around with a weapon like that is up to no good... Of course, for everybody else it was always common sense.

Reply #1174
Now having as Americans normally do in this damn forum and unable to face things that are so obviously wrong in their own corner
Howie, we know things are wrong here. I know, perhaps more than you, there are deep problems over here. My critique of  you is that you turn a blind eye when it comes to problems in your own country.