Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in the Americas? (Read 261688 times)

Re: What's Going on in the Americas?

Reply #225
I have a strange idea, Howie but bear with me. Sort out you're own country first. It doesn't take much digging to find that poverty in Britain is as bad as the US.
http://www.understandingglasgow.com/indicators/poverty/overview

The Scottish Government published their latest report on poverty and income inequality in Scotland  in July 2014.   The key findings for Scotland were:

a sharp rise in the number of individuals living in relative poverty in 2012/13 - up to 820,000;

rises in the percentage of children in relative poverty (up from 15% in 2011/12 to 19% in 2012/13)

rises in working age people and pensioners in poverty, 15% of adults in each are now defined as living in relative poverty

median income in Scotland in 2012/13 was £23,000, equivalent to £440 per week. This is the third consecutive annual fall in median income in Scotland

the proportion of people in poverty who live in working households increased in 2012/13 - in 2012/13, 52 per cent of working age adults in poverty were living in households where at least one adult was in employment

In this section a range of summary indicators are used to illustrate poverty in Glasgow, including access to a bank account, child poverty, and relative deprivation.  The children's indicators section of Understanding Glasgow contains more detailed information on child poverty within Glasgow.

Note that I said where this comes from so the full article can be reviewed and that everyone can know I didn't take from some commie or other radical anti-UK source. But your interest is in lengthy diatribes against America, not the facts. Christian, are you? What was that Jesus said about taking the plank out your own eye before criticizing someone else about the mote in his?

Reply #226
Well now excuse me but can I remind you of the title of this thread before you rush to condemn me. Can I also remind you that Gt Britain has the fastest growing economy in Europe has greatly reduced unemployment, lessened taxe for low earners and extending that further in the next couple of years. We also plan to raise the minimum wage (try that over the pond and see what happens) , lowering the national debt and so on.  As for the £23,000 point it is perfectly possible to live on that and having done much voluntary work in so-called deprived areas (my education job took me into them too) the population was saturated with Sky tv aerials  more than one tv set, pc's.One part even had two McDonalds! The Welfare State is a brilliant thing but too many have misued it and instead of it being for the genuine full stop there are many who see it as an alternative to work as the State provides so much including housing benefit and help with city taxes, etc. Too many folk get more from the State but in practical fact equally could exist in a job that paid less than public money. So if they do not have all those extras that is regarded as being in poverty. Especially in england there is too much of this giving subsiding houses in an area they would not normally be living in.

Anyway this is about your dreadful social condition. Seems I keep having to recall the ten figure losing homes annually the 40 million poor in the "world's greatest country", jails crammed -and too harsh sentencing in many cases. You should brag less as a country and stop thumping your chest and solve the big problems. This includes trying to do something with the trillions od debts mounting evry day. Yesterday i watched a news item on large numbers of you lot who are of the opinion the way America is going financially it will collapse not too long in the future. Adverts shown and companies making money out of fear and daft emotional which you seem to be always prone too. So boy stop giving the guff and dishing out guff rom your corporate controlled politicians and media and think for yourself and maybe this thread about the Americas would be a bit better and more sensible. Always the same when anything re a thread on the wonderful US of A is challenged The sensible ex-colonists know the truth but the rest are dummies and soak in what they are brained into so grit you teeth boy, wave the flag and look heroic as that will be easier than accpeting the hard facts and the future mess coming!.  :P
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #227
As for the £23,000 point it is perfectly possible to live on that and having done much voluntary work in so-called deprived areas (my education job took me into them too) the population was saturated with Sky tv aerials  more than one tv set, pc's.One part even had two McDonalds!

You think you don't see that the US? Relatively poor apartment complexes in Las Vegas are full of satellite dishes, cable wiring, Del Taco restaurants, Jack in the Box, various locally owned eating establishments, In and Out Burger, etc. The people have flat screen televisions, microwaves, etc. What makes you think otherwise? And we have the problem of welfare being misused: you can take ab EBT card (replacement of foodstamps) and buy pizza at the 7-Eleven. You think lower income areas here are the third world or something? Oh yes, the minimum wage is likely to be raised (and some businesses agree, having realized that lower wages means fewer customers in of the usual kneejerk reaction against it.)

Reply #228

There are a number of threads from the Old World, any news from the New? Anything American goes.

It's raining in Spring Hill, Tennessee, this morning.

Tomorrow we're going to our daughter's house in Franklin, Tennessee, for Christmas dinner...a hearty bowl of chicken gumbo soup.

3 chicken breasts, deboned, cooked, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup green pepper, diced
1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1 cup frozen okra
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

BTW, Merry Christmas DnD folks!

Reply #229
Well you keep up the Smiley idea of ex-colonist land Sanguinemoon. Being at the bottom is always worse over in your deranged place!

Nice one jimbro.....!

Reply #230
Well you keep up the Smiley idea of ex-colonist land Sanguinemoon

WTF are you babbling about now, Howie? It has nothing to with Smiley nor anyone else, nor was Las Vegas even close to being a British colony (If you really want to split hairs, the land has been a part of the Spanish Empire, but the city didn't exist at that time.) The fact is that in the last couple years, the convenience store pizza (USD 5.55) has been cleared for the EBT card, lower income Americans (and those that don't have their citizenship yet) have satellite dishes, internet, smart phones, etc. Frankly, I don't know where you get your strange ideas about America. Reading to much RT, I suspect. Of course, you have a disturbing tendency to conceal your sources, making it difficult to pinpoint the original source of your bizarre notions.

Reply #231
Talk about disgraceful RJ, look in your own backyard!!!

Clean that up before you complain about anyone else's.

Taking sexual advantage of little defenseless ones. The lowest of the low  -- a British National Pastime it seems.

Older men on little boys ---  how putrid, especially when it's condoned by their own!

Pedophilia is out of control in the UK.

UK online pedophiles too many to prosecute: NCA

Quote from:      PTV      http://bit.ly/1xTuaIs  

Britain will not charge pedophiles that possess child abuse images because of the high volume of people engaging in such activities.

According to the head of the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA), Keith Bristow, it was "not realistic" to prosecute the 50,000 people in Britain who have viewed and shared child abuse images.

"Our responsibility is to focus on the greatest risk and tackle those people," he said.

The British Labour party labeled the NCA’s inactivity as "disgraceful" and said that the NCA was not fit to deal with the problem.

“This is a disgraceful policy from the National Crime Agency and the Home Secretary which sees the vast majority of people downloading vile child abuse images not investigated, while children remain at risk,” said Labour’s Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper.

She went on to say that the NCA has details on tens of thousands of offenders who have accessed images of child abuse, but has only made 600 arrests...............

Start by protecting your own before wagging your stink finger elsewhere RJ.

Non-action & lack of British national condemnation wreaks of British complicity.

Reply #232

There are a number of threads from the Old World, any news from the New? Anything American goes.

It's raining in Spring Hill, Tennessee, this morning.

Tomorrow we're going to our daughter's house in Franklin, Tennessee, for Christmas dinner...a hearty bowl of chicken gumbo soup.

3 chicken breasts, deboned, cooked, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup green pepper, diced
1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1 cup frozen okra
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

BTW, Merry Christmas DnD folks!
Thanks, Jimbro, for posting a thoroughly palatable post; it's nice to have an enjoyable input. :)

Reply #233
And somehow those kind of people hardly exist in the ex-colonies? Get you head seen tyo Smiley.

Reply #234
Oh and I forgot to add the obvious (!). THIS THREAD Smiley is about eh AMERICAS not GB so don't fall back on doing a dance to take the heat off. So silly

Reply #235
That doesn't give you license to slag off about America, without being able to back it up. Of course, you do that regardless of the thread. I can't speak for Smiley, the whole point is that the very things you badmouth America about are happening in the UK.

Reply #236
You mean like the chicken gumbo soup?

Reply #237
They're calling for up to three inches of snow in Las Vegas on Wednesday, with the white stuff starting after midnight. Snow is very unusual around here, been years since the last accumulation in the valley. So a bunch of drunk New Year's partiers in the snow. Sounds like vehicular mayhem to me :left: :insane:

Reply #238
I didn't even know you got snow in the desert. Good for you! :P

Reply #239
Last year Atlanta and this year Las Vegas.. It's starting to seem like there will be snow drifts in hell before we see any accumulation here.

Reply #240
I don't care about the weather, I just want to be an Administrator! :drunk: :wine: :beer: :cheers:

Reply #241
True. They just sit at the desk drunk all day making rules that hurt business. Fortunately, we all but say "suck our balls" and ignore their orders. The next they don't remember yesterday's drunken ramblings anyway, so it's all good. :yes: Speaking of drunken ramblings, why is bottle of rum half empty all ready. I think it must be the liqueur stealing gnomes again, damn them to bloody hell :irked:

Reply #245
If you think I would have a heart attack you are so wrong there Macallan as it would take more than an ex-colonist or any hoi-polloi here. If on the other hand someone from Edinburgh that could be different but with free health care for all here not a worry.  ;)

Reply #246
I know what would give you a heart attack; us joining the Commonwealth.  :left:

Reply #247

If you think I would have a heart attack you are so wrong there Macallan as it would take more than an ex-colonist or any hoi-polloi here. If on the other hand someone from Edinburgh that could be different but with free health care for all here not a worry.  ;)

Have you any idea what hoi polloi means?

Reply #249
In context it would seem to mean- Nice, intelligent and otherwise generally decent people. :whistle: