Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in the Americas? (Read 261691 times)

Re: What's Going on in the Americas?

Reply #175

Now I'm curious what kinda closet activities she'd partake in. Just got my vote.

I agree. At least she's honest about being a vampire, unlike the rest of those leeches in DC.

Yep, if she's only 65% Lying Sack of Shit, so she must have a twinge of honesty here & there.....you've spotted it!!

[glow=green,2,300]Harry the Impaler[/glow]
[glow=green,2,300]Leech Extraordinaire [/glow]

Reply #176
I agree. At least she's honest about being a vampire, unlike the rest of those leeches in DC.

Besides, ol' Slick Willy would make a hella first lady gentlemen(?).

Reply #178
That's not gonna happen. Willy's wild willy will wander.

Reply #179
 :faint: :faint: :faint: Now, back to Palin, the Republican answer to Hillary. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reply #180

:faint: :faint: :faint: Now, back to Palin, the Republican answer to Hillary. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So--- Hillary wins the Democrat Party nomination. Sarah Palin wins the Republican nomination. The rest of the nation, realizing what we now face--- votes Libertarian. By a landslide. It's not even close.

Special note, since I'm thinking about this anyway: Because my situation is what it is, I've already voted by absentee ballot here in the Illinois races. I voted Libertarian for governor because, in truth, I can't stand either of the major candidates. The incumbent (D) is incompetent and needs to be sent home--- but his opponent (R) has so much going against him that I can't in good conscience vote for him, so--- Libertarian it is. After that--- I voted (R) almost throughout. Partly because I have Tea-Party leanings anyway, partly because it's just plain time to send the present occupants of those offices home anyway. They've been there long enough. I did vote for a local bond issue which will likely raise taxes--- but if you've seen the condition of this town's streets you understand that they sorely need repair, and this IS the proper responsibility of government to raise money to repair the streets.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #181
but if you've seen the condition of this town's streets you understand that they sorely need repair, and this IS the proper responsibility of government to raise money to repair the streets.

Yes, it is! And, as a Californian, I feel compelled to warn you that - while both state and federal gasoline taxes are supposed to accomplish such - neither has done so: Nail down that "tax" to the specific purpose by statute or referendum… Or accept your potholes and such as your due, from politicians wanting more taxes, more money to spend. (Their priorities are probably not yours… :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #182

but if you've seen the condition of this town's streets you understand that they sorely need repair, and this IS the proper responsibility of government to raise money to repair the streets.

Yes, it is! And, as a Californian, I feel compelled to warn you that - while both state and federal gasoline taxes are supposed to accomplish such - neither has done so: Nail down that "tax" to the specific purpose by statute or referendum… Or accept your potholes and such as your due, from politicians wanting more taxes, more money to spend. (Their priorities are probably not yours… :) )

Heywaitasecond!!!! Wasn't it you, in the Democracy thread, who seemed to think we could actually find honest politicians? So, how comes it you actually admit that at least on the local level-- which is where Villa Park's village board would be-- honesty might be in short supply? So, if honesty is hard to find locally, where the politician lives in town and actually has to deal with his constituents every day across the back-yard fence, we can somehow find these honest politicians to send to state and federal offices, where his/her constituents are hundreds or thousands of miles away?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #183

People who live in areas outside the freeze-thaw zone don't understand what really bad roads are all about. The southern tier of Michigan is pothole hell. This example isn't the worst.

Reply #185
It's not a proper pothole unless there's smoke coming out of it :right:

Reply #186
As I was about to say, Michigan potholes are nothing, but some are interesting.

Reply #187
Heh, nice.

Reply #188
So, how comes it you actually admit that at least on the local level-- which is where Villa Park's village board would be-- honesty might be in short supply? So, if honesty is hard to find locally, where the politician lives in town and actually has to deal with his constituents every day across the back-yard fence, we can somehow find these honest politicians to send to state and federal offices, where his/her constituents are hundreds or thousands of miles away?

Look to the party affiliation and philosophy of your candidates, mjm… You will discover the source of the problem. Also, consider the entrenched bureaucracy… (And how it got where it is.)

But, more to your point: In my state, the Democratic strongholds of Sacramento/Bay Area/Los Angeles have made state government a one-party affair.
Not cause for despair, but continually troubling…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #189
I did vote for a local bond issue which will likely raise taxes--- but if you've seen the condition of this town's streets you understand that they sorely need repair, and this IS the proper responsibility of government to raise money to repair the streets.

Here they seem to "repair" perfectly good roads at random. "Let's make it take half an hour drive a mile. Hrm, how about closing a lane at the corner of a Tropicana and Las Vegas Blvd for no apparent reason :yes: " They seem to say. Doing that was actually a little dangerous with that part of town full of tourists of varying levels of sobriety that didn't realize their lane was about to end. That was a few months ago. Now construction on the I-15 freeway during rush hour, never mind that it was smooth as glass already. Meanwhile, at some stoplights millions of tires a year have worn grooves in the road.

Reply #190

Here they seem to "repair" perfectly good roads at random.

They're probably afraid to lose their federal/state aid money if they don't use it up.
Yeah, I've seen this here too. For a while the county would just patch up perfectly good roads, then do nothing of the sort for another year or two, rinse & repeat.

Reply #191
In this town, repair of perfectly good roads doesn't seem to be a problem. Finding roads that aren't reverting back to the days when they were mud trails that a team of horses would have difficulty pulling the cart on--- that's the problem.

We have roads in this town that haven't been maintained since I was a boy-- and I'm 59 now so that gives you an idea of just how bad it can get here. The main drags are OK-- the side streets are in real trouble.

Reply #192
We have roads in this town that haven't been maintained since I was a boy-- and I'm 59 now so that gives you an idea of just how bad it can get here. The main drags are OK-- the side streets are in real trouble.

Wasteful Social Programs kinda drain all other parts of the budget while they tend to grow like potholes without bottoms.

Reply #193

In this town, repair of perfectly good roads doesn't seem to be a problem. Finding roads that aren't reverting back to the days when they were mud trails that a team of horses would have difficulty pulling the cart on--- that's the problem.

You should come to China. You veer to another part of town and there is a partially paved dust road, dust flying everywhere, the road constricted by road works, traffic grinding to a halt. You come back a couple days later, the dust is gone, as are the workers, and there is shiny new tarmac as far as your somewhat nearsighted eyes can see.  Half the construction in the world happens in China, and it shows.

Reply #194
Returning from Chimerica to the Americas, another transport story has the Americas on either end:

Where are the world's most dangerous transit systems for women?

And the winner is:
Quote from: CNN

Here are the results, from ranked from worst to best:
1. Bogota, Colombia
2. Mexico City
3. Lima, Peru

4. New Delhi
5. Jakarta, Indonesia
6. Buenos Aires
7. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8. Bangkok
9. Moscow
10. Manila, Philippines
11. Paris
12. Seoul
13. London
14. Beijing
15. Tokyo
16. New York

In other words New York beats the runners up Tokyo, Beijing, London and Seoul in perceived safety. Bogota, Mexico City, and Lima beat the runners up New Delhi and Jakarta in perceived danger.

Reply #195
You come back a couple days later, the dust is gone, as are the workers, and there is shiny new tarmac as far as your somewhat nearsighted eyes can see.  Half the construction in the world happens in China, and it shows.

Okay, bring them here so we can be finished "repairing" perfectly nice roads and freeways :yes:

Reply #196
Jax, Buenos Aires should be in bold type too. It's in Argentina, which is in South America.

Reply #197
I actually considered it, but the sample size was 16 so that put Buenos Aires too close to the middle to be remarkable. Yes, it was 6th worst, but it was also 10th best, so I opted for sweeping the city under the carpet. This was based on rankings, not survey score, so for all we know it can be almost as horrid as Bogota or almost as wonderful as NYC.

Reply #198
Feeding or sharing food with homeless people without special authorizations is a criminal act.
The new law reads as "public health and safety measures".

[sarcasm]You don't feed rats, do you? Neither can the police shoot them all, they are too many.[/sarcasm]
And no, unfortunately this is not from The Onion.

http://www.sott.net/article/288427-Florida-police-threaten-arrest-under-new-homeless-hate-law
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-lauderdale-homeless-feeding-sites-20141021-story.html

Reply #199
Meanwhile, church groups and others feed the homeless all the time. Any good sized city has soup kitchens as well social services to help them.