Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland? (Read 134037 times)

Re: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland?

Reply #125
[video]http://youtu.be/HfEsz812Q1I[/video]

Reply #126
That's an unfair documentary, compared with an American chief of prison, everybody in the world appears to be a genius, even degenerated Vikings.

"Norden" are exaggerating. The reason they have lower criminality than other countries is not because the way they treat prisoners. It's because that even the criminals there are not real criminals, the same way prisons are not real prisons.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #127
I kind of agree with that. I think this Finnish series "The Norden" (mixing English particle with a Scandinavian word, literally "The The North"; Portugal would be part of "The South"; The East and West would be as in English) comes off as a bit too self-congratulatory.

There is a value to seeing a phenomena from the eyes of an outsider, but often the implication is that "our way is the better way". When it comes to incarceration the US is the odd one out (though the Russian and Afghan prisons are more typical of prisons world-wide). There are other programs that might be better:

2/6 Work (not on Youtube; viewed by a Japanese)

3/6 Religion (viewed by an American):
[video]http://youtu.be/W-kANR1vJkM[/video]

4/6 Gender (viewed by a Russian):
[video]http://youtu.be/vMdfQ2MXHB0[/video]

5/6 Family (not on Youtube; viewed by an Italian)

6/6 Police (viewed by an American)
[video]http://youtu.be/jbM9uCxEJDM[/video]

The series is a mixed bag, but there are some good observations in between. All in all it can be worth watching, or at least skimming.

Reply #128
I would like to keep this civilized discussion but I don't have the patience to watching videos. More of the same I suppose.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #129
Certainly, and again I can kind of agree with you. Video is a impolite medium that expects you to follow its rules and speed unlike text, which is there for the reading at your convenience.

A change of theme then. What about Stockholm Design Week/Furniture&Light?

Reply #132
Different strokes. In my view few things excite more than furniture.

Reply #133
Saudi-Swedish spat

Quote from: The Guardian
A clash between Sweden’s progressive foreign policy and the harsh realities of the Middle East has escalated with Saudi Arabia’s withdrawal of its ambassador after Stockholm tore up an arms trade agreement between the two countries.

Accusing Sweden’s foreign minister of “flagrant interference” in its internal affairs, the Saudi foreign ministry said it was recalling Ibrahim bin Saad al-Ibrahim in protest over Sweden’s criticism of its human rights record, which it said was “harmful to the kingdom”.

Comments by Margot Wallström, the foreign minister, represented a “flagrant interference in internal affairs, which is not accepted in international conventions,” it added, according to an official statement carried by state news agency SPA.

Stockholm was apparently bounced into terminating its decade-long weapons memorandum with the Saudis after they blocked Wallström from making a speech on human rights to Arab leaders.

Reply #135
 :cheers:
As Iceland goes, so goes the western world!

Reply #136
The members of Parliament for the Pirate Party i Iceland. Jón Þór Ólafsson, Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson and Birgitta Jónsdóttir.

Birgitta is the bearded one??
Never mind, they all must play Eve Online. Sweet targets for an Eve pirate like me.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #137
The caption writer should walk the plank. No, Birgitta is (among other things) the more sensible face of Wikileaks. Wikileaks would have benefited from more of her and less of Julian Assange.

Reply #138
Spot the odd country out.

Norway is not in the EU, and thus not in this survey, but an independent one has been made for Norway and Sweden, and while slightly less enthusiastic than the Swedes, the Norwegians were much the same.

Reply #139
Norway is not in the EU, and thus not in this survey, but an independent one has been made for Norway and Sweden, and while slightly less enthusiastic than the Swedes, the Norwegians were much the same.

A typical case of needing to know the questions to make any sense of it at all. Such negativity toward immigration from, say, Australia would be surprising. Presumably the "border" states are negative toward immigrants from respectively North Africa, the Middle East, and Russia. I do wonder what's up in Czechia. Russians too?

Reply #140
According to a recent survey from February 16, 2015,  81% of young Ukrainians at age between 18-28 would leave their country.
13% told that it's hard to give an answer for such a question.
Most of them (62%) would leave for Western Europe, 5% named Russia and 4% named China.
Interesting fact is that Australia (10%) gets a higher popularity rating than the USA (8%).

With a population of 44,291,413 the Ukraine comes second among Eastern European countries.

Reply #141
Not surprised so many young Ukrainians sympathise with leaving as their own leaders couldn't run a charity shop.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #142
Further fumes from the Saudi-Swedish feminist fracas

Quote from: The Spectator

A few weeks ago Margot Wallström, the Swedish foreign minister, denounced the subjugation of women in Saudi Arabia. As the theocratic kingdom prevents women from travelling, conducting official business or marrying without the permission of male guardians, and as girls can be forced into child marriages where they are effectively raped by old men, she was telling no more than the truth. Wallström went on to condemn the Saudi courts for ordering that Raif Badawi receive ten years in prison and 1,000 lashes for setting up a website that championed secularism and free speech. These were ‘mediaeval methods’, she said, and a ‘cruel attempt to silence modern forms of expression’. And once again, who can argue with that?

The backlash followed the pattern set by Rushdie, the Danish cartoons and Hebdo. Saudi Arabia withdrew its ambassador and stopped issuing visas to Swedish businessmen. The United Arab Emirates joined it. The Organisation of Islamic Co-operation, which represents 56 Muslim-majority states, accused Sweden of failing to respect the world’s ‘rich and varied ethical standards’ — standards so rich and varied, apparently, they include the flogging of bloggers and encouragement of paedophiles. Meanwhile, the Gulf Co-operation Council condemned her ‘unaccept-able interference in the internal affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’, and I wouldn’t bet against anti-Swedish riots following soon.

Yet there is no ‘Wallström affair’. Outside Sweden, the western media has barely covered the story, and Sweden’s EU allies have shown no inclination whatsoever to support her. A small Scandinavian nation faces sanctions, accusations of Islamophobia and maybe worse to come, and everyone stays silent. As so often, the scandal is that there isn’t a scandal.

Reply #143
Don'y worry jax the land of the free and home of the brave will deal with Saudi Arabia contradicting ex-colonial principles.........

Reply #144
Saudi Arabia withdrew its ambassador and stopped issuing visas to Swedish businessmen.

Oh, how sorely he will be missed. *pinks away a microscopic tear*

Reply #145
These were ‘mediaeval methods’, she said, and a ‘cruel attempt to silence modern forms of expression’.

Says the post modernist Swedish woman... no place in my harem.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #146
Will she do?

Reply #147
Dear god man!

Reply #148
Probably French.