Skip to main content
Topic: Is there a police psychology problem?? (Read 112966 times)

Re: Is there a police psychology problem??

Reply #125
Must say ensbb3 that it may be your way of trying to combat a weak corner. Every week 2 people (and routinely, black by the way) are gunned down in the same general circumstances as Ferguson. To simply try and reduce the problem by withering slagging is not the answer i am afraid.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #126

Must say ensbb3 that it may be your way of trying to combat a weak corner. Every week 2 people (and routinely, black by the way) are gunned down in the same general circumstances as Ferguson. To simply try and reduce the problem by withering slagging is not the answer i am afraid.

Then why, in the name of God, do you do it in such a boring, predictable, ungrammatical, misspelled and irritating way, every day?

Reply #127

Who told you that, the BBC?

"Gunned down", now you even sound like the news. With no context or indication what you're talking bout you've passed judgment on nothing. People get killed in Scotland everyday too. (Scotland still top of British murder rates...) I don't hear about it. Know why? Nobody cares here so the news won't show it. No ratings in it.

People view the news to see what they want. Not the truth explained but a story they want to hear with facts they can repeat sprinkled about. If you wanna know why your country views the US as it does? It's because you want to. Nothing you claim from here is what I see as it really is. You simply don't know because you're duped into thinking TV has told you how it is and not just what keeps you watching. They aren't gonna risk telling you what you don't wanna hear. Poof goes their advertising money if they lose the mindless viewers that ads sell to.

You should be outraged, TV has made you ignorant.

Reply #128
Don't even pretend to be that naive!

Yes of course, I apologize.  The media has always been beyond reproach, more ethical than all religions on earth put together and has never over-sensationalized (tabloid-style), misreported or beat to death a single story ever, just to make an extra buck.  Really.   :knight:  :P
James J

Reply #129
Is one line of text the limit of your comprehension? Could you not have read the few more I posted? And the article I linked to?

There's more to be said than "the Media make money and people are stupid"…! But, since you've said that (…and surprised everybody!), what can you add to the conversation? :)

You're becoming another Howie, sir!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #130

Is one line of text the limit of your comprehension? Could you not have read the few more I posted? And the article I linked to?

There's more to be said than "the Media make money and people are stupid"…! But, since you've said that (…and surprised everybody!), what can you add to the conversation? :)

How unkind

Reply #131

Please don't try to talk me into another suicide attempt. 

I read the article--most of it anyway--and I have always had a great deal of respect for those who report the news.  My entire family has been long time friends with a popular and respected news guy in California--my sister was even engaged to the guy.  I had many a beer and laughs with him over the years and through him, I learned just how tough that job can be.  He spoke freely about the media over-sensationalizing a story at times to make more money, but then what institution--including religion--doesn't try to make an unethical extra buck at times? 

Maybe it's just me not wanting to hear a thousand different ways to rehash the same old bad news, but isn't there a responsibility to not have certain negatively impacting incidents held unnecessarily long before the public?  Sure, it's a matter of supply & demand, but then so is selling illegal drugs.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #132
Please don't try to talk me into another suicide attempt.

:) Sir, as Howie persists so shall you! (There a worse things…)
进行 ...

Reply #133
Thanks for the comment Oakdale as it draws folk to note that most of the brain dead are far away from me. Thanks!

Reply #134
In fact, I'd argue that he's committing what I'd call the Progressive's fallacy: Action at the highest level of government (i.e., as far-removed from pertinent circumstances as practicable) is always preferable!

An author for the the Cato Institute (a libertarian think tank) arguing for that? Nonsense, he neither implies nor directly states any such thing. In fact, if anything he argues against it by leveling criticism against the war on drugs - a Federal mandate dating back to the time of Reagan. In fact, he links to this article that's severely critical the central government's actions against threats that mainly exist in "the highest level of government"'s diseased head. You're committing the same fallacy with him that you do with my posts, that criticizing local authority's actions implies granting more power to the Federal authority.

Reply #135
An author for the the Cato Institute (a libertarian think tank) arguing for that? Nonsense

…you know, arguing from the label to the beliefs is, well, more than a little dishonest?

I don't call you a Progressive, in order to "place" your views: I have, over the years, placed your views — and found them to be aptly described by the term "progressive"… Likewise, I call you Partisan!
进行 ...

Reply #136
Thanks for the comment Oakdale as it draws folk to note that most of the brain dead are far away from me.

Quick! Look in the mirror you'll see one. Pretty sure he was taking a poke at you.

Reply #137
And now a young boy shot dead in New York city due to having what looked like a gun which turned out to be a dummy. Because he hadn't raised his hands he was gunned down with more than one bullet. In the same city another policeman killed a totally innocent man on a stairwell and even the Commissioner stated this. Both killed were black of course. It appears this is a semi-regular thing and police going over the top and reacting rather oddly. Wonder if we could take bets that the murderer in Ferguson police uniform having pumped in 6 shots gets away with it. If no it will be a surprise because each time there are incidents like these the police do well, get away with it. The day will come when you have a police state over there what with loose gunmen in uniform, armoured cars, having soliders on streets.

Just because someone is in a uniform (ex-colonists just love uniforms and makes you safe even if a headbanger)  it does not make them immune from that Constitution, rights and reasonable treatement in a so-called democratic society. Now some black rights leaders are calling for black policemen to patrol black areas not whites! What this rather dubious idea does is show the depth of racial tension that is still so much part of society. Too many officers have some thought they are Wyatt Earp and the old West instead of a modern country.

Reply #138
"(ex-colonists just love uniforms"
and silly hats .... and orange sashes.....

Reply #139
.....Wonder if we could take bets that the murderer  in Ferguson police uniform having pumped in 6 shots gets away with it.....

Psssssst ....RJ   ....... Bet the house .......  bet the freekin' house!  

Reply #140
And the people in those hats and sashes don't act at all like your police do you silly man (or boy) so a wasted comment. Apart from betraying your background it skips the whole thing about American police. They get away time after time as if they are the law. It IS people in neat uniforms over there who supposedly protect peope who gun down repeatedly in odd situations. Even this latest thing with the 12 year old laddie the caller did say that it looked like a dummy so explanations please. The black man shot down on stairs for no reason which the police boss said was wrong. Explanations please. The Ferguson man who got into a tiff with that policeman and got shot 6 times. Explanation please. These are happening every week over there and rarely does an officer get done for it.

On top of all these happenings police trying to outdo looking like soldiers? Military vehicles? Soldiers on the streets. You do have a big problem over there but if in a uniform you can bet that mostly they will get off scot free. If the Ferguson Jesse James in uniform gets off heavens that will be unique (and you well know it too Smilefaze but then you are a terrorist supporter). Give a Yank a uniform and run for cover like Afghans when they seen marines.  :worried:

Roll on Monday

Reply #141
Well RJ, if you would have bet your (as I, in retrospect, so astutely suggested) bet your house on the outcome that the brave & soon to be exonerated officer, Officer Wilson, would be found free of any criminal wrongdoing by the Grand Jury, you would have won .... big time!

Officer Wilson was cleared of any & all charges, & no indictments will be forthcoming ......period. 

The Grand Jury found that there was "no probable cause to return any criminal indictment".

The dead teen was found by the Grand Jury to be the overwhelming aggressor, based on copious testimony/statements, direct video recordings, & other physical evidence. The overpowering testimony attesting to this conclusion came directly from the Ferguson African-American Community.

[glow=green,2,300]The Grand Jury has found that Officer Wilson acted completely within the law.[/glow]

[glow=green,2,300]Officer Wilson had the absolute right to act in self-defense, & is prescribed to use deadly force,
as he did, consistent with his training.

When any Officer acts with deadly force, only one outcome is sought &/or expected.
[/glow]

[glow=blue,2,300]Justice is served.

Had this man not assaulted, & subsequently, threateningly "Full Charge" Officer Wilson as he did, he most probably would be alive today!
[/glow]  

Now, as always with unpopular decisions of this nature, the pre-planned destruction, looting, & general mayhem is beginning ...... mostly carried out by outside agitators, not from Ferguson itself.

Reply #142
I wouldn't be so sure about testimony from  the AF community proving innocence of the cop.

We do know that construction workers who worked at the incident site stated that Ferguson was backing up with his hands up when shot multiple times.

The thing about American grand juries is that it is run by the prosecutor. The prosecutor is the one who decides what evidence is submitted to the Grand Jury. Hence the saying that a prosecutor can get a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich.

It also works the other way around. A prosecutor can selectively submit to lessen the chance of indictment. That rarely happens, but does happen.

This prosecutor is very, very pro-cop. His father was a cop who was shot and died in the line of duty.

FERGUSON, Mo. - The Missouri prosecutor overseeing an investigation into the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown has deep family roots among police: his father, mother, brother, uncle and cousin all worked for St. Louis' police department, and his father was killed while responding to a call involving a black suspect.

Reply #143

I wouldn't be so sure about testimony from  the AF community proving innocence of the cop.

We do know that construction workers who worked at the incident site stated that Ferguson was backing up with his hands up when shot multiple times.

The thing about American grand juries is that it is run by the prosecutor. The prosecutor is the one who decides what evidence is submitted to the Grand Jury. Hence the saying that a prosecutor can get a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich.

It also works the other way around. A prosecutor can selectively submit to lessen the chance of indictment. That rarely happens, but does happen.

This prosecutor is very, very pro-cop. His father was a cop who was shot and died in the line of duty.

FERGUSON, Mo. - The Missouri prosecutor overseeing an investigation into the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown has deep family roots among police: his father, mother, brother, uncle and cousin all worked for St. Louis' police department, and his father was killed while responding to a call involving a black suspect.

They have a community resident's own video that recorded an accounting of the incident, which eliminated a lot of conflicting/false/mistaken/retracted testimony, while at the same time corroborating the bulk of the remaining testimony which shows the young man in this case as the aggressor, & supports the Officer's statements.

Each of the 50 States, their Counties, & their Municipalities all have their own set of rules/laws on how their Grand Jury processes, & procedures, are to take place. Some are similar, whereas some are quite different.

The findings of this Grand Jury, the procedures employed, followed by a Q & A session:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqkikttLMU[/VIDEO]

Reply #144
Killings by Utah police outpacing gang, drug, child-abuse homicides
Quote from: Salt Lake Tribune
In the past five years, more Utahns have been killed by police than by gang members.

Or drug dealers. Or from child abuse.

And so far this year, deadly force by police has claimed more lives — 13, including a Saturday shooting in South Jordan — than has violence between spouses and dating partners.

As the tally of fatal police shootings rises, law enforcement watchdogs say it is time to treat deadly force as a potentially serious public safety problem.

"The numbers reflect that there could be an issue, and it’s going to take a deeper understanding of these shootings," said Chris Gebhardt, a former police lieutenant and sergeant who served in Washington, D.C., and in Utah, including six years on SWAT teams and several training duties. "It definitely can’t be written off as citizen groups being upset with law enforcement."

Through October, 45 people had been killed by law enforcement officers in Utah since 2010, accounting for 15 percent of all homicides during that period.

A Salt Lake Tribune review of nearly 300 homicides, using media reports, state crime statistics, medical-examiner records and court records, shows that use of force by police is the second-most common circumstance under which Utahns kill each other, surpassed only by intimate partner violence.

Reply #145
Some interesting numbers, It’s Incredibly Rare For A Grand Jury To Do What Ferguson’s Just Did
Quote from: fivethirtyeight
A St. Louis County grand jury on Monday decided not to indict Ferguson, Missouri, police Officer Darren Wilson in the August killing of teenager Michael Brown. The decision wasn’t a surprise — leaks from the grand jury had led most observers to conclude an indictment was unlikely — but it was unusual. Grand juries nearly always decide to indict.

Or at least, they nearly always do so in cases that don’t involve police officers.

Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.

A recent Houston Chronicle investigation found that “police have been nearly immune from criminal charges in shootings” in Houston and other large cities in recent years. In Harris County, Texas, for example, grand juries haven’t indicted a Houston police officer since 2004; in Dallas, grand juries reviewed 81 shootings between 2008 and 2012 and returned just one indictment.

Reply #146
The only resident video I know about is
Video of the moments after black teenager Michael Brown was fatally shot by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, indicates that a witness on the scene said the unarmed 18-year-old's hands were raised when he was killed.

The cell phone footage, released by CNN, of two construction workers at the scene early last month appears to support accounts by other witnesses that Brown was retreating or surrendering when he was shot by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson, legal experts said on Friday.

The video shows one of the men raising his hands immediately after the fatal shooting and shouting, "He had his fuckin' hands up."

The way it works is that the prosecutor submits the witnesses.

Witnesses are interviewed by prosecutors and detectives assigned to the prosecutor. If some witnesses says the Brown's hands are up and others say they were not, those witnesses may be told their stories are not consistent with what others told. They will be badgered to "be sure of the truth, are you really, really sure because your story is inconsistent with what we heard. We really need the truth. You are under oath and we'd hate for you to be found guilty of perjury."

In all the excitement no one is really sure. The witnesses will say so and not brought to the Grand Jury due to unreliable testimony.

That does happen. I don't know if it happened in Ferguson.

Reply #147

Some interesting numbers, It’s Incredibly Rare For A Grand Jury To Do What Ferguson’s Just Did
Quote from: fivethirtyeight
A St. Louis County grand jury on Monday decided not to indict Ferguson, Missouri, police Officer Darren Wilson in the August killing of teenager Michael Brown. The decision wasn’t a surprise — leaks from the grand jury had led most observers to conclude an indictment was unlikely — but it was unusual. Grand juries nearly always decide to indict.

Or at least, they nearly always do so in cases that don’t involve police officers.

Former New York state Chief Judge Sol Wachtler famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.” The data suggests he was barely exaggerating: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. attorneys prosecuted 162,000 federal cases in 2010, the most recent year for which we have data. Grand juries declined to return an indictment in 11 of them.

A recent Houston Chronicle investigation found that “police have been nearly immune from criminal charges in shootings” in Houston and other large cities in recent years. In Harris County, Texas, for example, grand juries haven’t indicted a Houston police officer since 2004; in Dallas, grand juries reviewed 81 shootings between 2008 and 2012 and returned just one indictment.

Its not a police psychology problem.

Its a military and police psychology problem. Americans fawn over anything having to do with the police and military. We're inundated by that stuff.

In most American fairs or large exhibitions there is a military presence or display and often a police demonstration. You will always see the public fawning and drooling over the displays and demonstrations by their "heroes", like 2 year olds getting candy.

Reply #148
So of you assault a cop in America you can expect to be dead? This the country that marches across the world going on about honour, rights, and all the usual tripe. The BBC actually said the officer fired 12 times? Anyway if you assault a cop in America the land of the free and brave expect 6 bullets pumped into you for daring to  take one on. Shooting an unarmed man deserves to be done and not just one bullet but six? America is so totally out of synch with sense and even decent law. This from a country that propgates decency, law and sense? You lot over there have a very deep problem and it is disgusting. I watched a Ferguson officer telling a news camera man filming for tv told to f--- off or he would get arrested. The legal system over there is a disgrace and afarce. Then that other totally innocent black man shot on a stair in NYC. Followed by a 12 yearold with a toy gun. The boy obviously not thinking straight had not dropped it when told so he gets killed. This is not law but a modern version of the old black lynching mentality.

Terrorist suppirters like Smily get off with this stuff because they have a weird view on law and so-called justice. The police always get away with it and the undercurrent is racist. As long as you have uniform and metal badge on it you can get away with anything especially iof dealing with a black. The damn country is gun mad and that surplus Pentagon military stuff goes to the polce shows the juvenile mindset in the USA. Oh the police will just love it. So in the paragon of freedom and stuff  you can get away with anything in uniform and what passes for law is a joke. Thes trigger happy cops no doubt just loved playing at soldiers I bet.

Decades ago you could get away with burning black churches and homes, hanging them but now it has been modernised into a shoot response for anything especially if you are black. This only epitomises what is really the land of the free and home of the brave. So face down a policeman or even attack him and instead of being arrested or using a baton or even a taser (which many carry) just gun the person downm. What a damnable and sick country that thinks this ios lawful. The Smiley red neck attitude doesn't care a damn but it says much to the world about too many trigger happy cops and militarised police forces along with new military equipment and even the army on the streets! What a hellhole that compromises what it claims to stand for. You are probably also the world's top jailin place as well. When I once had a minor confrontation with a New York cop in a short disagreement maybe I stayed alive as I was white.

Despicable military police state over there. Despicable police actions all the time is an understatement.

Reply #149
The laws in the US are written to effectively give police immunity. Unlike regular citizens, with police shootings you have to prove that the police acted purposefully in a malicious manner.

Things reached fever pitch when Seattle police officer Ian Birk shot and killed John T. Williams, an unarmed Native American woodcarver. Williams was walking on a downtown Seattle street, tool in hand. As he crossed the street in front of a police car, the officer got out, followed Williams and ordered him to drop his knife.

Just seven seconds later, when Williams failed to comply, the officer shot him multiple times. Later, that officer testified he felt threatened.

Like the shooting of Michael Brown, this case went to local and state authorities for review of possible criminal charges. In January 2011, a local inquest jury found that the officer was not in danger, and that Williams (who had hearing impairments) did not have adequate time to drop his knife.

But a majority of jurors also found that the officer did believe Williams was a threat. They made this seemingly contradictory ruling because the state sets a very high legal burden for prosecuting police. Under state law, the prosecutor must prove an officer acted with malice and without a good faith belief the shooting was justified. There was insufficient evidence to meet that standard, so the local state prosecutor determined state charges could not be brought.

After looking at the facts, we concluded that we couldn’t bring criminal civil rights charges. Federal law sets a very high bar, and essentially requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt that an officer intended to deprive a person of his civil rights. Evidence that an officer feared for his life or acted according to training could defeat such a case. It is exceedingly difficult to prove such specific motivation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/11/24/as-a-federal-prosecutor-i-know-how-hard-it-is-to-convict-officers-like-darren-wilson/?hpid=z3

Which is why in overwhelming cases police shootings are not prosecuted. And if you do have some evidence of the above the evidence to the Grand Jury can be tailored to not meet the proof needed for prosecution.

Its like the James Bond license to kill.