Skip to main content
Topic: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga (Read 348445 times)

Re: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga

Reply #650
everyone is afraid he'll get elected.

Nah, I have little doubt that either Clinton or Sanders can defeat him in the general election. The electoral college is stacked against him, with only Texas and George going for him. Florida has too many Hispanics not go Blue this time with him as the GOP contender, given his fence comments and threats of deportation (yes, that upset even the legal immigrants. Those are ones that I personally know..) Besides the deep South that leaves with Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky and the thinly populated mid-western states. This adds up to an electoral college landslide against him. Him getting the nomination is the Democrat's dream come true.  Then again, the GOP has developed this habit nominating people that appeal to their base, but are repugnant to everyone else as it is.
The system was designed to stop the stooopid things he says from happening in the event he is elected.

Perhaps, but you're counting on the system. The President wants an idiotic thing done and congress shoots it down and/or the SCOTUS finds it unconstitutional (but take a lesson from the Obamacare, there isn't a whole lot the Federal Government can't do with some justification in the Constitution.) Trump is a narcissistic megalomaniac. That being the case, GOPers complain Obama's executive orders - wait until they see a hypothetical President Trump's.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #651
It'll be interesting to see if Trump's approach changes after getting the nomination. If not he is truly the idiot we all think he is.

Hopeless optimism pulled out of my arse:

It could be good for congress if he is elected. They would have to actually do something and with some togetherness. There's plenty they can do to render executive orders inept.

If he doesn't get the nomination but fractures the GOP this could make Smileyfaze happy. People could say Tea Party without laughing... Nah I'm going too far. Still hilarious none of the "elite" members ever cracked a history book to see how that might go. But jokes aside any relevant step away from a two party system can be good. ([Crescendo] Voting reform, sensible districts, campaign fund caps... NO MORE LOBBYIST! (sry, I almost got excited. I was just having the strangest dream about functional government I think. Hillary wasn't in it tho.))

there isn't a whole lot the Federal Government can't do with some justification in the Constitution.

[optimism dies]
Checks and balances.

Patriot Act and Presidential bj's. Seriously it's just a piece of paper with words on it. As long as you're distracted by the "issues" presented to you - those words are meaningless.

Reply #652
I was just having the strangest dream about functional government I think.

Yeah, you must have been dreaming because we both know that's gonna happen.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

Reply #653
Kind of odd criticism that Trump had no military experiences after alone he is not alone re White House residents. And in any case it is big money that runs the country not the would-be political macinery and just look what the lesser of two evils, Clinton has to spend. Head shaking stuff and Sanders is far more honest and sensible than either her or the Republican possibility.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #654
Kind of odd criticism that Trump had no military experiences after alone he is not alone re White House residents

It's just another item missing from his cv to be president, so don't make more out of that criticism than it is. Running a business is not the same as being POTUS. In fact, he might not have been as successful of a businessman than people think with his businesses going bankrupt and him having declared personal bankruptcy four times. The National Journal has a piece about The 1 Easy Way Donald Trump Could Have Been Even Richer: Doing Nothing .

Republicans like to deride Obama as a "community organizer", but as a senator he was actually more qualified than Trump and didn't have a string of financial failures behind him like Trump. This leads to a largely unaddressed issue about Trump. What would a Trump budget deficit look like? He says so many offensive things that few seem to consider that. I took a look at his tax plan , which he claims is revenue neutral.

How many times does cutting taxes to increase revenue need to fail before the GOPers learn? A quick overview explains way. A) The spending cuts to pay for the tax cuts never materialize. B) Within the Laffer Curve, which demonstrates that high taxes can actually decrease revenue, there is s point in which a lower tax rate neither stimulates the economy nor increases revenue. America's tax rate is below the sweet spot that the economy gets a stimulus and revenue is increased. Witness the Great Recession; both Presidents Bush and Obama offered tax cuts and tax credits that failed to improve the America's economic performance.  That's not a political statement, but an easily verifiable statement of fact. C)Trump's plan shows a decrease in deductions for middle-class and above tax rates. Raise your hand if you think that will fly politically so that you may be given a dunce cap and assigned the dunce corner. Apologies for going  pedantic on economic, but frankly American voters tend to economically illiterate. Then there's the insanity of impose tariffs of upto 35% on certain imported goods, such as car assembled in Mexico. While I agree that more manufacturing jobs need to be brought back to the US a plan would only suppress the demand side of supply and demand and damage the economy further. 

Reply #655
Sanders is far more honest and sensible than either

That's what you're supposed to think.

Imagine a drama on your telly. Now imagine you just realized what it is.

yw.

Reply #656
The telly or the drama, ty?

Reply #657
My post 3am comments are always fun for me explain later...

I suppose either would work. I meant "realized what a drama is". But extending it to the importance people place on what the picture box shows them from the importance people place on emotional judgments wouldn't be difficult.

You're quite welcome, sir. ;)

Reply #658
I may vote for none-of-the-above.

Reply #659
Might as well stay at home as you are right about making an effort for what?

Reply #660

I may vote for none-of-the-above.

Don't be like that. Hillary isn't a shoo-in and neither is Trump. If you look to the last several election cycles, the early front runners didn't win....

Reply #661
So true. This could go the other way very easily.

Anti-Hillary vs Anti-Trump

Reply #662
No constitutionalists here, I take it? :) I'll vote for Cruz in the primary — and, hopefully, in the general — election.
Hey! Even "The Donald" has said that nobody likes him! (Does Trump think that he's running for Miss Congeniality? :) ) Isn't that reason enough -in our current political climate- to vote for him?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #663
No constitutionalists here, I take it?

If anyone here thinks they are, they aren't. As long as you want to argue political sides of issues you exist outside constitutionalism. Party politics, smh. Fox News hasn't prepared you to be constitutional at all. If you wanna pull source to support an opinion, fine. Be fooled. If you wanna act by principles laid out and take steps to use the avenues available to promote change in your government... Then let's talk.   

Reply #664
Fox News hasn't prepared you to be constitutional at all.
Why in the world would anyone think a TV network could offer such preparation? I'm not Howie:)
If anyone here thinks they are, they aren't.
What kind of logic do you call that? "Cynic's Dilemma"? :)
进行 ...

Reply #666
I suspect RJ gets most of his "news" from RT… How about you :)
Don't mind me I just got here.
In other words, you don't actually say anything; I got that, early on.

Shall we meet, again, on the Global Warming thread…? :) (I've noticed that most of the people with strident positions don't understand the science. And most internet posters who claim to understand the science really don't…)
进行 ...

Reply #667
I suspect RJ gets most of his "news" from RT… How about you

If you can't tell then clearly that's not a variable that matters. Something to consider.
I'm a conservative -of sorts- and a Madisonian

You only operate on a particular level.
In other words, you don't actually say anything; I got that, early on.

My posts are transparent to you for that reason...
Shall we meet, again, on the Global Warming thread…?  :)  (I've noticed that most of the people with strident positions don't understand the science. And most internet posters who claim to understand the science really don't…)

Did that make you feel smart? Trying to position yourself as someone who "gets it" is a powerful debating technique, sure. But I won't be engaging the thread much. In my quest to say nothing I don't interfere with such drivel. However just for you...

The science is not in. It's barely started. What it needs is reliable standards for collection and logging the data, not dismissed. The models are only as good as the data we provide but they have shown plenty to justify current concerns about climate. Doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or 1000 years away- get the data. Besides, that and economic stability go a long with reducing our dependency on fossil fuels. [Thread closed] Have fun in there "getting it".

Reply #668

No constitutionalists here, I take it? :) I'll vote for Cruz in the primary — and, hopefully, in the general — election.
Hey! Even "The Donald" has said that nobody likes him! (Does Trump think that he's running for Miss Congeniality? :) ) Isn't that reason enough -in our current political climate- to vote for him?

I might vote for him just to see how he's going to build a fence on the Mexican border and make Mexico pay for it.
To quote one source: "The actual cost for the rest of the border wall (roughly 1,300 miles) could be as high as $16 million per mile, with a total price tag of $15 billion to $25 billion" from a budget of $342 billion. Go Donald go!

God will not let this happen.

Reply #669
Considering you live in a country Oakdale where the media is very cleverly manipulated by the money barons that is very passingly amusing. As if Trump, Clinton, Cruz and palin weren't bad enough the matter of that border fence is another laugh. The place is trillions in debt and  the Republicans want to have that item at that cost? Small wonder the more intelligent here like the retired education man have to shake their heads.

Reply #670
He said they owed the US billions and he would make them pay for the wall with that. I can't substantiate his claim but what do I know.

Reply #671
God will not let this happen.

Or the ranchers that own the land, or the terrain it will have to cover...

Reply #672
One media commentator on television thought that Trump is doing so well because he is not a politician and many people are getting fed up with the political negative tradition. Sanders would be in practical terms a better direction but those who are fed up and going for Trump are well in basic terms not that bright.

Reply #673
but those who are fed up and going for Trump are well in basic terms not that bright.

They're having a visceral response to real and imagined situations, so no intelligence is required.

I did read one commentator that noted that Trump is used to being able to cut deals, even with business rivals. That means he might actually able to work with senators and representatives from across the aisle. Even so, his megalomaniacal, racist, sexist persona he built during the course of his campaign is reason enough not cast the ballot for someone else.

Reply #674
I can hardly see the international comunity taking Trump seriously...remembers me "porque no te callas?".

But that's propably the strategy, creating a false sense of "everybody being hostile" towards the USA, that's the kind of thing that creates ridiculous dictators, Trump's style.
Americans deserves better from the Republicans, I'm disapointed.
A matter of attitude.