Skip to main content
Topic: I love this Otter Browser--it feels like good old Opera (Read 3114 times)

I love this Otter Browser--it feels like good old Opera

Thank you for the continued development of Otter Browser.  I'm really enjoying Shift-F2 and the website preferences and the F12 option for quick preferences.   :)

A few concerns:
1) Otter is especially slow in processing long pages with sites like feedly.com or tv-listings sites.  It perhaps is the javascript that is slower in Otter than in other mainstream browsers, I'm guessing.   ???
2) Over 90%  of the time, clicking on the trash icon shows nothing...no closed tabs list shows up at all.  On rare occasions, clicking on it works as expected.   :(

Again, thank you for this worthy pursuit of excellence.

Re: I love this Otter Browser--it feels like good old Opera

Reply #1
Browsing around Feedly at random seems to perform well for me, pretty much the same as in Opera/Blink, Opera/Presto and Firefox. That being said, I assume that when QtWebEngine arrives it'll also bring V8.

Reply #2
For me Vivaldi's menus didn't work. Then I began installing Fifth's dependencies to install Fifth. I didn't get Fifth installed, but after installing as many dependencies as I could, Otter now displays Vivaldi's menus on that machine :) Must figure out which dependency is responsible...

Reply #3
Is the trash can icon functional in Otter?  I click it and nothing appears even though I've had plenty of closed tabs in the current browsing session.  Thank you.

Reply #4
It works for me. When you close pages they go in the trash; when you reopen them they go out.

Reply #5
@treego, are these normal or private tabs?
Private tabs are not stored so it won't work for them.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #6
These are normal tabs.  I don't use private tabs at all.

I have a tiny 10.1-inch Acer/AspireOne screen, FWIW.

Reply #7
@treego, which Qt version are you using?
Is that button enabled but menu is not shown or it shows empty menu (most likely it would be shown as tiny dot then)?
Does Closed Windows submenu in History menu work properly then?

Reply #8
I may have discovered the problem.  It seems when I hide the main menu by using Alt-F11, I cannot get access to the closed tabs by clicking on the trash-can icon on the far right side of the tab bar (I simply get a tiny dot when clicking on the trash can icon).  But, if I re-enable the main menu via Alt-F11, I can access the closed tab listing via Closed Windows submenu in History menu and the trash-can icon.  I hope that is clear.  Thank you.

P.S.  Qt version is 5.3.2

Reply #9
@treego, that information about menu bar visibility was important, this issue is now fixed in master, thanks for report.