Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Requests (Read 93049 times)

Re: Feature Requests

Reply #200

@vbr

Have you tried --privatesession? Is something missing there what you need?

Hi, Thanks for the hint, this flag behaves like the regular private window (which is probably intended).
It would need to add some persistence (preferably over tabs rather than windows, but the difference doesn't matter much). Are there maybe some other flags regarding persistence, which could be combined with --privatesession? (I am currently only using --portable, which obviously doesn't matter here.) Those tabs would be recovered after closing and reopening the browser and would keep the site content including state, previously supplied credentials etc. - much like regular tabs do just now (if restoring the tabs is checked as startup option); however this state would not be accessible for sites open in other regular tabs.
I could find some references on site isolation/ tab isolation/ process islolation in similar context on the web, but they seem to deal with the stability of the browser with respect to crashes of individual page tabs rather than with the separating of the credentials,  I am primarily thinking about.
thanks and regards,
     vbr

Reply #201
@vbr, what about disabling cookies for selected websites?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #202

@vbr, what about disabling cookies for selected websites?

Well, that might work well in general, but it would require determining, which "target sites" are involved, ideally, in advance, before loading them. It seems more straightforward to me to avoid logging into such global service, where tracking the online activity can be expected. But anyway, it can be achieved by using another browser or with private tabs (in the latter case without the persistence).
Regards,
    vbr

Reply #203
@vbr, what about grouping them in one folder in bookmarks and adding an option to open them as private tabs?
That approach definitely won't backfire (which is possible when tempering with private sessions). ;-)

Reply #204
I have also noticed that autologin (or whatever to call it, there can be also other privacy issues involved) by means of cookies is becoming a terrible trend. For example at work we are logged in to mail.google, and then any other google page I open (search, maps, yt), I see I am logged in to those too without ever in my life having done so explicitly anywhere.

Probably a solution could be:

- Always open up the private session first and foremost, and browse with that, i.e. basically have private mode checked in the settings.
- When you need to log in to some website, open up a different, non-private session (a homesession)

Perhaps it would help to provide a switch to quickly toggle a tab between private mode and homesession mode (like in Opera there was author mode and user mode for webpages). This seems necessary, because in private session you can only open private tabs, so when you open a new tab with a website where you want to log in and preserve cookies, you need to switch the tab to homesession mode.

Not sure if this toggle should be sticky or not. If sticky, it could be simply Website Preferences/Privacy/Enable cookies - and the privatemode indicator vanishes from the tab.

Reply #205
@ersi, when grouping will become available then we could consider "private groups", having cookie jar set per group, the same way like is currently done for opening new tabs from private one, they share single, private cookie jar.

Reply #206

@ersi, when grouping will become available then we could consider "private groups", having cookie jar set per group, the same way like is currently done for opening new tabs from private one, they share single, private cookie jar.

By 'grouping' you mean stacking?

And I have a question about tiling and cascading - will this also be tied to stacking as it is in Vivaldi? (not to my liking)

Reply #207

Where is the best place to post feature requests for the forum itself?

For example, Id like a discussion added for equipment -- not just cameras but tripods, accessories, The Kit, and so on.
You mean like here? https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?board=3.0

Most imaginable questions to do with the forum itself can be presented to the administrator https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=10.0

Reply #208

@vbr, what about grouping them in one folder in bookmarks and adding an option to open them as private tabs?...

Thanks, this definitively would be an improvement - however, as I understand it, these wouldn't be recovered on new start of the browser, right?
On the other hand, the approach mentioned later might enable this:

Is grouping meant visually - i.e. tab stacking in Opera 12 or would it be somehow internally connected with the bookmark folders mentioned earlier?
Certainly it would be an improvement to have multiple controllable "data spaces" for the site data like credentials etc.; a single shared one for all private tabs seems to be "less than ideal" too.
For what is it worth, I am now trying a "poor man's approach" with two separate program folders of Otter, both run with --portable flag. The separation as well as the persistence seems to work well, however, it would be of course less handy, if multiple separate workspaces would be needed :-).
I bet, there might be some flag for the path of the profile data to be used with --portable, which would certainly simplify this approach; is it maybe the case? are the available flags listed somewhere?
Regards,
    vbr

Reply #209
By 'grouping' you mean stacking?

And I have a question about tiling and cascading - will this also be tied to stacking as it is in Vivaldi? (not to my liking)

Yes, grouping means stacking.
And no, I don't see reason to add not needed complexity. ;-)
It would be even way harder to do something more than "basic" (that includes cascading, tiling etc, all built-in in Qt) MDI.

Thanks, this definitively would be an improvement - however, as I understand it, these wouldn't be recovered on new start of the browser, right?

Yes, it would not.

Is grouping meant visually - i.e. tab stacking in Opera 12 or would it be somehow internally connected with the bookmark folders mentioned earlier?

Yes, it is.
This might have different name too, as it would be enough to allow to use separate cookie jars for specified groups, private mode might be too much.

This could be treated more like a fourth level of settings inheritance, right now there are global settings, per site overrides and tab specific settings (these are the most important ones, overriding all other settings) with addition of sharing resources.
Kind of like multiple profiles loaded into single window, but with some limitations etc.
I'll need to rethink it, design it properly so it would be user friendly, powerful and without too big impact on complexity of the code.

Reply #210

... This could be treated more like a fourth level of settings inheritance, right now there are global settings, per site overrides and tab specific settings (these are the most important ones, overriding all other settings) with addition of sharing resources.
Kind of like multiple profiles loaded into single window, but with some limitations etc. ...

Thanks for considering this, it really looks like a promising (and unique as far as I know) feature. Of course, tab stacking is useful on its own.
   vbr

Reply #211
In connection with all the ideas on stacking, privatising, etc. there is also the question how and if to show things in the upcoming Windows&Tabs panel.

Windows panel in Opera was another place to review and manage the situation of tabs and Windows.

- Windows panel showed all open tabs, organised as per Windows to which they belonged.
- Provided drag-and-drop to reorder the tabs.

In Otter this is the minimum that should be created, but in addition:

- Windows panel should show detached tabs (a la True detach, not belonging to any Window) under Detached category or some such
- Stacked tabs 
- Provide reordering between all these categories via drag-and-drop.

But I think it gets too complicated to show in Windows&Tabs panel things like to what Session the tabs/windows belong and Private tabs versus Normal tabs/windows. I can't imagine how to make these things visually explicit in addition to what I have listed.

Reply #212
@ersi, there was already some discussion on github, we can have an option to show other sessions there, so dragging entries from there could open them in current session etc.

This topic shouldn't be discussed in this thread as it is already too big...

Just last two cents, I'm planning to start working on data model to keep information about current session in cleaner way than it is done currently (well, currently it depends on TabBarWidget which is bad ;-)).

Reply #213
You mean like here? https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?board=3.0

Either there or "hobbies". I could see it fitting in both.

For example, Id like a discussion added for equipment -- not just cameras but tripods, accessories, The Kit, and so on.

You can always just start a topic on that kind of thing. ;)

Reply #214
Hi,
I just noticed another feature mentioned previously and wanted to ask about the current status (and perspectives). This is the support for user javascript; there is a notice in the respective github issue:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/336
according to it, the feature isn't that difficult to add per se, the problem beeing an effective url matching mechanism.
I'd like to ask, whether it would be feasible, to use fixed settings to domains - maybe via the site settings dialog - scripting  - in the same way like user css.
A finer differentiation of the URLs could then be delegated to the code of the scriptfile itself.
I believe the mechanism of the site settings would be reused, which is already in place, and ideally no additional slowdown would occur (for pages with no userscript set).
Possibly, a global userscript could be supported too, if neede - it could be managed via Settings - Advanced - Content (together with user CSS).
(I am not sure, whethere one script file for a specific site is sufficient, or whether these should rather be folders, but the logic might be the same.)
Would someting like that be doable, or are there other limitations not mentioned in the github discussion?
(Please let me know, what is the preferable form and place of such posts - this "Features" thread, a new dedicated thread in this forum, or maybe the github issue?)
Thanks and regards,
    vbr

Reply #215
@vbr, currently there is a new blocker, QtWebEngine itself, which is supposed to introduce basic built-in support for them in Qt 5.5.
We need to wait for API freeze (Qt 5.5 beta, should be available soon) and then create our own APIs so these could map easily to what will be offered by QtWebEngine.

Reply #216
Hey, thank you for the new release.

So, one thing I miss is that little box that appears when you try to download something on Opera 12. It ask if you want to save, open (opera saved the file in a temporary folder) or save in another directory. That was really good because something you make a download but you just want to open fast and keep your download folder clean.

Reply #217

It ask if you want to save, open (opera saved the file in a temporary folder) or save in another directory.

+1 That's really missing.

Another thing from Opera that would be convenient is the question whether you really want to quit the program. It's annoying if Otter with a dozen tabs open is closed because you accidentally click the X.
And it would be convenient to have an option (like in Opera) to show the X (close button for the tab) on the main window instead of each tab. The X on the tab slows you down if you have a lot of tabs open and want to change between them as you have to aim exactly in order not to close a tab by accident.

Reply #218
So far Otter not to be used immediately!Sorry!http://www.dobreprogramy.pl/Otter-Browser-Write in Polish! Program,Windows,55060.html.Vivaldi is also poor.Opera 28/29 is good.

Reply #219
I find both Otter and Opera/Blink usable. Vivaldi isn't because of its non-native interface (which doesn't care about your DPI settings, for instance). What is it you're having trouble with specifically?

Reply #220

Another thing from Opera that would be convenient is the question whether you really want to quit the program. It's annoying if Otter with a dozen tabs open is closed because you accidentally click the X.

I also hope this will be implemented. Until then, you can reopen browser with otter-browser --sessionchooser and select continue from last session.

And it would be convenient to have an option (like in Opera) to show the X (close button for the tab) on the main window instead of each tab. The X on the tab slows you down if you have a lot of tabs open and want to change between them as you have to aim exactly in order not to close a tab by accident.

The X on each tab can be hidden with TabBar/ShowCloseButton in about:config. The x in the upper corner will make sense when full MDI gets implemented, complete with tiling, cascading and free resizing.

Reply #221

The X on each tab can be hidden with TabBar/ShowCloseButton in about:config.

Thanks. That's convenient. I mostly close my tabs with mouse gesture anyway.

Reply #222
@Rômulo, @py-thon, here is related ticket:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/58

Another thing from Opera that would be convenient is the question whether you really want to quit the program.

Use Choices/WarnQuit, you can set it to alwaysWarn.

Reply #223
Password manager.
I've been waiting so long for this.
I think this is the most useful and necessary feature.
There are many websites which I can't use fully without login, but I can't remember the passwords, and writing/copying them is tiresome.
When will be added?

And then... something happened.
(the Narrator)

Reply #224
@denes, hopefully for next beta.