Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Requests (Read 93057 times)

Re: Feature Requests

Reply #175

@rappelkiste_src, yeah, I know which one. :-)
One is toggle for entire sidebar, second one is switcher for active panel plus button to add new ones.

Found the "hidden secret" afew days ago, the sidebar panel switcher.  :up:     THANK YOU very much.

Two questions:

1. Who will sorting my bookmarks (hundreds) and folders (dozens) alphabetical?
2. With Opera 12.x I can zoom in and out with the keys/shortcuts "+" and "-". Is there a chance to get this feature?

Find in page via search bar

Reply #176
The search field is sticky and always easy accessible,
If this function is already available please explain me how to set it up

Reply #177
@rincewind: Try the shortcut "Strg + F", then a searchbar opens at the top of the page. Type in the word you want to search in this page.

Reply #178
@rappelkiste I know and use this 'search' bar (which is btw not funktioning properly), but why not invoke it by just entering the phrase into the search bar?

Reply #179
Here's a suggestion for a feature regarding the download manager:
There's an active download and the user tries to close the browser. A dialog window appears, offering three options--(1) do not exit the browser, (2) cancel the download and close the browser or (3) wait for the download to finish and then close the browser automatically.

Reply #180

@rappelkiste I know and use this 'search' bar (which is btw not funktioning properly), but why not invoke it by just entering the phrase into the search bar?

I see, never use the search bar, I use the normal adressbar for everything. In Opera 12.x you can enter "f" and the word to search in page. That would be a nice feature for otter, too. Just like the search about a shortcut.

Reply #181
Hello all,
I've been watching the Otter development for a while and first I wanted to thank all who are involved in this project. Old Opera 12.x was really good and it's great to see that Otter is getting closer to it step by step.

Then, back to topic. My first feature request is that when tabbar is moved from default (horizontal) position to vertical position, left or right side on the screen, the tabs themselves would not turn 90 degrees but stayed horizontal.

Then, a way to sort bookmarks alphabetically would be nice. Currently they are in random order after importing from other source.

Also, Opera 12 had "Split View" for dividing bookmark list into two parts. The upper part showed folders, and the lower part showed the contents of the selected content. No other browser can be set like this (by default).

Reply #182

Of course I meant search field not search bar, else it's nonsense

Reply #183
Its good browser, still immature but powerfull , I found this after i search for vivaldi in google. anyway I tried this , its all work smooth , I d like to have tab placement , be it in bottom , left right top, as I still not notice it in the next list of feature. Please add it. Also I notice in new release it seem search text edit is seem out of place [un match with another element in UI]

Thanks

Reply #184
You can already place the tab bar at the bottom, just drag it and drop it there!

It can also be placed on the left or right, but at the moment with the drawback that tabs rotate 90º and are vertical, which is far from ideal. Horizontal tabs at the side are coming in the future.

Reply #185

Find in page via search bar

The search field is sticky and always easy accessible,
If this function is already available please explain me how to set it up

If you mean to use the search field next to the address field for find-in-page, then +1.

Also, Opera had find-in-page in the address field, triggered by the keyword f.

Maybe the easiest way to create this feature is to allow a keyword for find-in-page in the search field and address field. The keyword should show up as a search engine among other search engines in Preferences > Search and be configurable and removable/re-doable like all other search engines. 

Reply #186
Hi, i really like the browser so far. i have a question about speed dial though.
Will it be implemented in otter? i couldn't find anything in planned features.

Reply #187
Who will sorting my bookmarks (hundreds) and folders (dozens) alphabetical?

Sorting will be added in future.

With Opera 12.x I can zoom in and out with the keys/shortcuts "+" and "-". Is there a chance to get this feature?

You can add set these shortcuts in Preferences -> Advanced -> Keyboard.

What kind of issues have you noticed there?

@Milesius, such option could be useful sometimes, we can consider it.

My first feature request is that when tabbar is moved from default (horizontal) position to vertical position, left or right side on the screen, the tabs themselves would not turn 90 degrees but stayed horizontal.

It's planned as part of:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/190

Then, a way to sort bookmarks alphabetically would be nice. Currently they are in random order after importing from other source.

Planned.

Also, Opera 12 had "Split View" for dividing bookmark list into two parts. The upper part showed folders, and the lower part showed the contents of the selected content. No other browser can be set like this (by default).

Currently there are no plans to add this specific feature, but it could be reconsidered in future.

@fajar, you can change location of tab bar by dragging its handle.
I guess that it might be a good idea to add this to context menu, there were way too many requests for this feature which exists for very long time.

@keen, yes:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/125
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #188
Thank you for the fast answer. i am really looking forward to use this browser. i love that the mouse gestures are already implemented. keep up the good work. i love it. :)

Reply #189
I do not know if this is too much but I would love to make updates/installation just along with all other software running. No message "it is strongly recommended to close other apps... and so on". Just like FileZilla does it.  :) And I believe old Opera also was updated in a background.

Reply #190
And I believe old Opera also was updated in a background.

Not so. The (auto-)updater was introduced fairly late, maybe at version 9. Until then people updated by downloading the new release.

I would favour an (auto-)updater only at a stable stage, and when there's a policy that says that features don't get removed with new releases. Only then will it be safe to update in the background.

Reply #191
small request by me
would be nice that somewhere on either right or left side of zoom control at the bottom
shows on what zoom number it is on, as hovering over thingy is bit annoying
especially if you use hotkeys to do this zoom in/out

Reply #192
@ersi, it can optional, and if there would be such feature then it would be definitely only optional.
Currently bajasoft is working on notifications when new version is available.

@exley, it was already requested, there might be separate widget or option for existing one. ;-)

Reply #193
@exley, it was already requested, there might be separate widget or option for existing one. ;-)

Perhaps provide more optional designs or modes for the zoom control. One is the current slider.

The other could be a numerical display between the minus and plus buttons, e.g. literally 125% between the minus and plus buttons.

I think some might even like an option to zoom in/out by means of mouse-scroll above the zoom control, similar to the way we can scroll volume over the volume icon in most desktop environments, and the volume icon roughly indicates the volume level. [Hey, this works already now :D ]

Shortcut for navigation bar

Reply #194
I placed the address field into the menu bar, also back and forth buttons.
            "MenuBarWidget",
            "GoBackAction",
            "ReloadOrStopAction",
            "GoForwardAction",
            "AddressWidget",
            "GoAction"
Now I would like to use the navigation bar for other things like referrer switching, scroll to top function and search field.
Is there a chance to get a keyboard shortcut for showing/hiding the navigation bar (or a custom bar)?

Also, I found a small bug: I cannot place the "MenuBarWidget" as last item in the list, that shortens the address field and it seems as if there is a 'return' after it.

Reply #195
Hello.

The browser gets better. Last time I checked it was beta 2 and I was pretty unimpressed. Now I took a look at the weekly65*.zip (because beta 4 wasn't very impressive either) and it resembles Opera's features much more.

You can already place the tab bar at the bottom, just drag it and drop it there!

But I can't drag the tab bar anywhere. No matter if I try to trag the bar, the only tab on there - of course the the tool bars are not fixed/locked.

Being able to put the tab bar on the bottom and site specific setting where the features I recognized missing first and most important to me. In the weekly65 (and I guess some earlier releases, too) the second feature is finally implemented, but I hope not done with.

So I guess I might be doing something wrong if I still can't move the tab bar (or any bar) around even though Al-Khwarizmi says otherwise. Any idea what it might be?

Thank you for your help and work.

Maybe Otter might be the browser to go for me after all when Opera 11.64 (I don't like the regressions in the Opera 12 finals and Opera 12 alpha is too unstable) doesn't work for me anymore. The number of websites that aren't really working in O11 is growing. Fortunately most of them are irrelevant to me.

Btw: I'd like the browser to be truely portable, i.e. no folder and file creation in the user/appdata/local folder!

Reply #196
@rincewind, I cannot promise shortcuts for toggling individual toolbars, we don't support shortcuts for dynamic actions, but that might be added later.
For sure it will be possible when there will be toolbars API for scriptlets, but allowing only that approach would be more complicated to end users.

Menu bar is complicated case, see:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-45226
To workaround that limitation only one of toolbars (as due to another limitation, related to global menu bars, its layout is: left ToolBarWidget, QMenuBar, right ToolBarWidget) is resized to occupy empty space (otherwise sizing goes nuts).

@o11-user, there was a temporary regression due to moving to custom toolbars management, you can do that again when compiling form master branch.

Yes, there will be more improvements for site specific preferences.

You can use browser with --portable switch, then profile is stored in sub folder in the same directory as main binary file.

Reply #197
Emdek, thank you very much for the reply and helpful information!

Reply #198
Hi,
I just wanted to ask for some option in the tab managment, which might be helpful for some circumstances.
I think about a permanent private tab; the main usage in my view would be isolating pages with regard to credentials (e.g. Google, FB and others, in order to prevent their linking and interchanging the data with affiliated sites browsed in the same time).
I believe, the private tabs (or windows) can manage such isolation already, but it is less handy for regular usage - manually loging repeatedly.
I guess with regard to the user interface, it might be sufficient to have a menu option for an open private tab to remain persistent, ie to reopen it with the previous content after a new start of the browser (assuming this is set as the startup option generally).
Of course, there are more complex possibilities too (e.g. a dedicated category of an "isolated tab" or window respectively, which would behave like this, these could be saved in bookmarks with this additional setting etc.
As far as I know, inorder to achieve this, one has to use a separate browser currently, or am I missing some existing options?
Do you think, it would be doable and interesting for the users?
regards,
      vbr

Reply #199
@Emdek

Is it possible to adapt --privatesession for the kind of usage that vbr describes? Or does it already work roughly like this?

@vbr

Have you tried --privatesession? Is something missing there what you need?