Boris Johnson's going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
Cameron's going on.
[ 0 ] (0%)
The Labourists are going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
Riots are going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
It's raining again. And again.. and again...
[ 5 ] (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Topic: What's going on in the UK and Crown Dependencies (Read 109359 times)

Re: What's going on in the UK and Crown Dependencies

Reply #126
The government concerns about increasing numbers of young Brits going to Syria as volunteers.
BBC Three Counties

Reply #127
Good news from England!
Overall crime in England and Wales fell by 15% in 2013, official figures show.

The Crime Survey for England and Wales reported 7.5 million crimes against households and adults in that year, the lowest level since it began in 1981.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27138921

Reply #128
Causing BBC speculation that the criminals world-wide have been lead astray.

Did removing lead from petrol spark a decline in crime?

Many Western nations have experienced significant declines in crime in recent decades, but could the removal of lead from petrol explain that?

Working away in his laboratory in 1921, Thomas Midgley wanted to fuel a brighter tomorrow. He created tetraethyl lead - a compound that would make car engines more efficient than ever.

But did the lead that we added to our petrol do something so much worse? Was it the cause of a decades-long crime wave that is only now abating as the poisonous element is removed from our environment?

For most of the 20th Century crime rose and rose and rose. Every time a new home secretary took office in the UK - or their equivalents in justice and interior ministries elsewhere - officials would show them graphs and mumble apologetically that there was nothing they could do to stop crime rising.

Then, about 20 years ago, the trend reversed - and all the broad measures of key crimes have been falling ever since. Offending has fallen in nations whose governments have implemented completely different policies to their neighbours.

If your nation locks up more criminals than the average, crime has fallen. If it locks up fewer... crime has fallen. Nobody seems to know for sure why. But there are some people that believe the removal of lead from petrol was a key factor.

Reply #129
Quote from: Facebook

Stop the English badger cull
Yesterday at 14:17 ·
"The battle over the findings of the Independent Experts’ Panel into the pilot badger culls has taken an increasingly bitter turn in recent days, with the British Veterinary Association threatening to withdraw support for the culls."
Read more: http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/British-Veterinary-Association-calls-Defra/story-20994031-detail/story.html

Reply #130
The people who moan about the cull aren't farmers who have to put up with the damn menaces.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #133
JoshL. Do try and read what I say old chap. It is farmers who suffer the most and their livliehood and if you cannot understand that you have a problem.

Reply #135
Oh dear I have to say you understand nothing old chap. They are a constant damn nuisance and loss to farmers so what don't you understand about that. If you lived in a country area festooned with them perhaps you might have more savvy?

Reply #136
It's been two decades now that Napoleon's subversive scheme has been running. During this time most but not all Britons have swapped their insular mentality into a more up-to-date peninsular mentality.

After 20 years, Channel Tunnel's doubters quieted by its success
In February 1986, British transport secretary Nicholas Ridley sought to reassure concerned lawmakers, saying: "Will rabies come? Will the Russians invade along the tunnel? Should Britain remain an island? I sympathise with these emotional arguments but I do not believe that they are rational."

Some members of parliament called for all carriages to be sealed to prevent unscrupulous travellers dumping their rubbish, attracting foxes and other pests.

In fact, a wild rabid animal was found on a beach in southern England in 1996, the first trace of rabies in the country since 1922. But vets revealed that the offending creature, a Daubenton's bat - an insectivore very common in France - was carrying a virus not transmissible to dogs, horses, foxes or other mammals. Most importantly, it had taken the aerial route across the Channel.

John Noulton, communications director of Eurotunnel, also sought to reassure claustrophobic critics that, although the tunnel was definitely dark, the train journey would be no worse than travelling on "a wide-body jet during the night".

Today, Eurotunnel supporters quote playwright William Shakespeare to describe the scare-stories as "much ado about nothing". In October 2012, the year of the London Olympics, Eurotunnel celebrated its 300 millionth passenger.

Reply #137
I am into railway simulator projects but what I found hilarious was one man who was going to create the Channel Tunnel route. How any sim rail fan of any positiveness would want to drive through 20 odd miles of tunnel is beyond me!

Reply #138
This went on in the UK recently, much to the chagrin of Tony Blair.
RELIGIOUS belief is usually a no-go area for British prime ministers. As Tony Blair's media advisor Alastair Campbell once put it: "we don't do God".

The current occupant of No. 10 seems to have decided otherwise. In widely reported comments made over Easter, David Cameron said that people in the UK should be "more evangelical" and "more confident about our status as a Christian country".

That provoked a chorus of dissent – some of it, rather unexpectedly, from the former Archbishop of Canterbury. Describing the UK as a "post-Christian country", Rowan Williams said that the era of widespread worship was over.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229671.500-god-notbotherers-religious-apathy-reigns.html#.U2jy8PldUs0

Reply #140
I am traditionally Presbyterian Protestant nut I can take Anglicans better than I can badgers. And as the starving besieged shouted back at the 1688 siege in defending the walled city of Londonderry - No Surrender.  :knight:

Reply #142
Totally agree.

Reply #143
I've heard on the radio that the government has plans to create a separate 'anti-terrorist' agency - reckoning that the police should better be busy enough with other, more regular stuff.

Reply #144
sir , anyone that lived in UK

may i ask some question ??

i noticed in UK there are internet rules .

Cyber bullies and forum Trolls can be jailed for 2 year .

is that really existed , n/or the UK government really jails some people with that amandment?

Reply #147
Nah, you wouldn't have thought of it at all Southern laddie. You would have been scrambling around trying to think of something. Glad to have been of help.

No surrender! :knight:

Reply #148
Australian court imposes generalized news blackout on bribery case.

In Great Britain and some of its former colonies, courts can not only ban the coverage of some events but are also entitled to dispose a general ban. That's what happened in Australia recently.

Australia bans reporting of multi-nation corruption case involving Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam
source

No wonder that the USA is after Julian Assange, a well known leader of such a terrorist group like WikiLeaks.

Reply #149
If ever the hysteria of the American leaning mind was an example it is Assange and being a terrorists. Daft. Even more so considering how often America has supported terrorism when it suits. If one looks at Israel and their television coverage of recent events it is very carefully edited to push away much of the pictures of the dead civilians including children. Australia has been an independent nation for an awful long time so throwig in Gt Britain is another daftness.