Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in China? (Read 90271 times)

Re: What's Going on in China?

Reply #150
I would say that the Hong Kong people were quite content with British rule but what superseded it was another awkward step for them.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #152
A pretty good collection of some of the paradoxes in today's China.

China's super-rich communist Buddhists

Xiao was introduced to the BBC by a Chinese businessman, 36-year-old Sun Kejia - one of an unknown, but reportedly growing number of wealthy Chinese, drawn in recent years to the mysticism of Tibetan Buddhism.

The increasing popularity of religion in general in China has been well documented and is often explained in terms of China's rapid economic expansion.

Millions of Chinese today may now have the kind of wealth that previous generations could only dream of, but economic growth has been accompanied by seismic social upheaval and many of the old certainties have been swept away.

"I was once confronted with great difficulties and problems in my business," Sun says.

"I felt they couldn't be overcome by human effort and that only Buddha, ghosts and God could help me."

Sun, Xiao and Geshe Sonam next to Xiao's shrine in his apartment
So Sun became a follower not of merchant bankers or money managers, but monks - Tibetan monks in particular. And he has indeed since earned his fortune, which he estimates at more than $100m.

He now runs a chain of Buddhist clubs, and pays from his own pocket for Tibetan gurus like Geshe Sonam to come and preach there, giving them badly needed funds for their missions and monasteries back in Tibet.

But while Sun's invited guests - businessmen, party officials and property owners - find comfort and spirituality, he finds something else.

"What I want is influence," he says.

Reply #153
While not very polished roadside/trainside collage, it's hard to describe the amount of construction that isn't just going on, but has been going on continously for a decade or more. China is one big construction site, with half the construction in the world happening in the country and by McKinsey estimates half the GDP growth to 2025 will be in China.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpwXRZsn_Bc[/video]

Reply #155
With all the progress in China kind of tells us how a people can get by with a dictator shop when there is some much going on to satisfy.

Reply #156
 ???

Reply #157
I think he said that life is a distraction from the state.

It is anyway life in a state of constant change. It is five years ago soon I first went to China. Would a person today recognize the same place five years ago? Yes, I think so, but depending on where he were, most of what he knew would be gone or under construction.

Reply #158
Why intelligent people admits to Chinese keep on doing environmental crimes it's a mystery to me.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #159
Usual inability of tt92 to understand anything simple.

Reply #160
My sister just returned from a trip to China. Nowhere in China did she see "Made in China" stuff. It's all "Made in USA", "Made in Germany" etc. In Guangzhou she bought shoes "Made in Italy", size 250. What a wonderful world.

Reply #161
The Chinese know better than to buy Chinese products. :jester:

Reply #162
Yes, as long as the Chinese are under the apprehension that European products are quality products, it helps European export industry booming. Countries like Germany, France and Sweden have profited greatly from this.

There is an irony to the high streets of Guangzhou (earlier known as Canton), that next to Guangzhou are the factory towns of Dongguan, among other things the shoe capital of the world. Not far from where those Italian shoes are sold, there are wholesale/export markets with huge sales volumes.

Reply #163
Another thing going on is that the airline which lost that flight has discovered running into double figures not properly trained and now suspended until they are.

Reply #165
 :jester:

Reply #167
Don't be manipulative Krake, that's because they're a lot of them. In absolute terms they're already in front of the biggest polluters of all times, Americans.
Why the world accept both to pollute so much is simple, because they have huge armies.
When you have an huge army you can poo a lot...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #168
Wonder who of us both is manipulative?
Two people leave less shit behind than 150. Shouldn't be too hard to comprehend. :left:

Reply #169
Well considering that the plane tragedy was known world-wide with pictures of the pilot trying to avoid buildings before hitting the river says much about Yanks knowing little of the world. Think tt92 should be an ex-colonist as due to the size of his brain thinks echo when he tries to use it.How long before you both give a cuddle?

Reply #170
 ???
Did rj just ask me for a cuddle?

Reply #171
It depends on how you look at it. China's per capita carbon emissions overtake EU's

Quote from: BBC
But in an interesting development, China's emissions per head of population exceeding those of the European Union for the first time.

While the per capita average for the world as a whole is 5 tonnes of carbon dioxide, China is now producing 7.2 tonnes per person, to the EU's 6.8 tonnes. The US is still far ahead on 16.5 tonnes per person.

"We now see China's per capita emissions surpassing the EU," said Dr Robbie Andrew, from the Centre for International Climate and Environmental Research in Norway, who was involved in the research.

"They are still nowhere near the US or Australia, but the fact that they have surpassed the EU will be quite surprising to a lot of people."

Future beats the past
This development will shine an interesting light on global climate negotiations where China has often used its relatively low per capita emissions to argue that it is on the same page as other developing countries, and that restrictions on its use of carbon were not justified.

China's rapid industrialisation over the past 20 years has seen the construction of huge numbers of mainly coal fired power stations.

This build-up means that the emissions that China is committed to in the future, now exceed the total of everything it has emitted to date.

Prof Corinne Le Quere from the University of East Anglia, who is also involved with Carbon Project, said that a significant proportion of China's emissions were in fact, driven by demand from consumers in Europe and the US.

"In China about 20% of their emissions are for producing clothes, furniture even solar panels that are shipped to Europe and America."

"If you look at the emissions in Europe with that perspective, they would be 30% higher if we accounted for those goods that are produced elsewhere."

The other major emissions growth is seen in India. In 2013 the country's carbon grew by 5.1%, and it is now on track to overtake the EU in 2019.

"India has enormous problems, if the current government could sort out the issues with toilets that would an enormous achievement," said Dr Andrew.

"They have so many things to focus on in that country, to ask them to pull back on emissions, is a big problem."

For 2014, the carbon record is likely to be broken again as emissions are likely to hit 40bn tonnes, 65% above 1990 levels.

The researchers involved say the recent rise is due to the global economic recovery combined with a lower than expected increases in carbon intensity, especially in the developing world.

So, what happened? For one thing, fresher data. Old statistics for China in particular is pretty much useless. The way of accounting also seems somewhat different, but I haven't verified this. China is growing very fast. As is India and other countries, their size make them important, but per capita they won't catch up for a decade or so. However, they will catch up.

The West had pretty much monopolised economic growth and carbon emissions in the post-WWII period, but in the near future most growth in economic production and carbon emissions will happen in Asia (in percentage terms Africa is higher, but they won't matter for some time). Looking ahead, it is no longer Europe and North America that matter, it is India and China. Once these two countries had 4/10 of the world's population, they still have 1/3, but more importantly now they are getting rich enough to influence the world, as in the amount of carbon they burn.

Which leads us to the most useful metric, carbon intensity, how much carbon you burn for each dollar of value you produce. Rich countries tend to well here, have a low carbon intensity, as while they burn more carbon per head, they also produce much more money per head. Over the last 40 years the world carbon intensity has almost halved, which is good news, but not good enough, as the emissions in the same period have more than doubled.

Reply #172

So, what happened? For one thing, fresher data. Old statistics for China in particular is pretty much useless.

This list is from 2013.
Wonder if during the last year there have been dramatic changes.
It's hard to find a complete and updated per capita list for 2014 and one might wonder why...

Reply #173
The numbers are roughly similar to the group BBC referred to, which seems to use different sources.

Not having reliable figures for 2014 in February 2015 is not very surprising, international statistics tend to have a much longer lag than that, which is a problem if you want up-to-date information.

Two trends are not very encouraging. One was mentioned above, that the improvements in carbon intensity for the emerging countries were less than hoped for. The other is that the rebound from the economic crisis (which led to a slight fall in carbon emissions) has not led to any real improvement in carbon intensity either, and that at a period when the energy prices were higher than now.

Reply #174
Quote from: jaxlink=topic=243.msg35128#msg35128 date=1423841659
Which leads us to the most useful metric, carbon intensity, how much carbon you burn for each dollar of value you produce.

Carbon intensity a shit. What hurts the planet is simply the total amount of carbon, not any ratios.

I really believe that you've been hired by conglomerates to shut up DnD "fighters for freedom". Or just to be well paid, something like that.
Not me.
A matter of attitude.