Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 255350 times)

Re: What's Going on in Europe

Reply #125
What about a map?

Migrants who have died trying to enter Europe.

Reply #126
Would someone explain to The Washington Post that I do not in fact live in a city named Anvers, that the accepted English name is Antwerp, and that the majority of Belgians speak Dutch? Thank you.

(Also, the English name for Frankfurt is Frankfurt. The majority of Germans speak German. Lisboa is Lisbon, and so on and so forth.)

:pirate:

Reply #128
Du pain, du vin, du Boursin.

(I see a wine smiley and I think of Boursin? Talk about effective advertising.)

Reply #130

Would someone explain to The Washington Post that I do not in fact live in a city named Anvers, that the accepted English name is Antwerp, and that the majority of Belgians speak Dutch? Thank you.

They're not even consistent within one country - Roma vs. Milan for example.
And then Douvres in southeastern Britain :faint:

Reply #131
Let's hope that this never goes on in Europe.

Reply #132
You still have a problem.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #133
 :'( I have more problems than you could possibly imagine. :'(

And that pretty lass isn't an American, she's a Rooskie.

Reply #136
Has anybody heard of such services like MyRope, YouRope - aside from those YouTube, YouPipe and YouSmoke?

Reply #137

You still have a problem.

Not that you or Jim listen to this type of music, but I have to post this, as you reminded me of this song with your quoted post.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoM5fLITfk[/video]

Reply #138
Would confirm your view - not my music at all. I file it under "ugh."  :whistle:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #139
Map of Czechoslovakia between the wars. Uzhhorod and Lviv (Lwów) are now in Ukraine, Wrocław (Breslau) now in Poland.

Reply #140
Migrants who have died trying to enter Europe.

It would be a bit difficult to immigrants to die trying to entering into Northern Europe, unless they could have tele-transportation.
A good example how maps can serve Northern propaganda and their defense of "human rights".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #141
That's what you see in the picture?

Blue is death by drowning.

What I see is that the picture is very old. All the green countries are now within the Schengen red line, except UK and Ireland of course. All the yellow countries are now green, except Turkey of course. The multi-coloured circles should be updated with the last 8+ years of migration.

Reply #142
It would be a bit difficult to immigrants to die trying to entering into Northern Europe, unless they could have tele-transportation.
A good example how maps can serve Northern propaganda and their defense of "human rights".

It can also serve Portuguese propaganda. Portugal hardly seems to have any issues at all.

Anyway, unless Spain and Italy are torpedoing boats in the Mediterranean, which I imagine would've been shown as "violence of policemans [sic]," I don't subscribe to your interpretation of the map at all.

What's surprising to me is how many people apparently died trying to cross the Oder. But as jax said, Poland wasn't part of Schengen at the time.

Reply #143
It can also serve Portuguese propaganda. Portugal hardly seems to have any issues at all.

There are no problems with immigrants dying here. But I'm going to speak about that bellow.
Anyway, unless Spain and Italy are torpedoing boats in the Mediterranean, which I imagine would've been shown as "violence of policemans [sic]," I don't subscribe to your interpretation of the map at all.

Because you're making an immediate reading of my words. The problem shown in the map, which is an humanitarian tragedy, it's a problem that concerns the entire EU as an entity and not, as a superficial reading of the map indicates, a problem affecting southern countries.

The illegal immigrants tries to reach the "Europe of their dreams" not those countries in particular, they just finish dying there because it is the first place to die...
The patrol and control of the Mediterranean has to be supported by ALL the European countries and not let as a mere internal Spanish or Italian problem.
Not fulfilling their obligations regarding this issue has been the Northern countries position and thousands of miserables keeps on being victims of an industry of death each year thanks to that.

This is one of the darkest aspects affecting Europe, and simply a badly hidden mater of disrespect for the human life. Let them die... it's not our problem, they say in Brussels. I wonder what would happen if those thousands of corpses were putted in their streets.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #144
I agree that we should accommodate more refugees. The Netherlands has been acting especially shameful in that regard. But I also seem to recall that Italy was recently given €30 million by the EU in support. None of which has particularly much to do with drowning, though. I don't think the north African countries would be terribly pleased if the EU patrolled their territorial waters for vessels that aren't seaworthy. I'm not sure what the solution is there, but more patrols doesn't sound quite right.

Reply #145
The map doesn't give the full picture as it only shows death on European soil (or territorial waters), and not those who died on the way there, like in North Africa and particularly Sahara. The war in Syria has lead to a surge in refugees, and an increase of victims of drowning.

Reply #146
I should also point out that unlike the Netherlands, which should change its tune, Belgium aids as many refugees per capita as Italy. Germany isn't that far off either. The difference is that rather few arrive by sea. Instead they are slightly richer — that is, at least sufficiently rich to afford a one-way flight. Apparently, EU-wide about 6% arrive by sea, 20% by land, and the rest by air.

Reply #147
I don't think the north African countries would be terribly pleased if the EU patrolled their territorial waters for vessels that aren't seaworthy. I'm not sure what the solution is there, but more patrols doesn't sound quite right.

Look to Morocco, from where all the boat people that tries to arrive to Spain near the Gibraltar straight comes from.
The King of Morocco is a nice educated man that you can speak with. He also personally owns more than ninety per cent of Morocco biggest companies.

Have a talk with him, propose some business in the EU for his companies, a bit of military cooperation, offer a few Mirages (he still has a small problem down there with the Polisario Front, I suppose), even a German submarine for his royal marine. Establish with him an immigration policy to the EU he can present to his people.
He knows how to eliminate the problem, that you can be sure.

With minor adaptations the same goes for the other countries.
While the EU foreigner relationship keeps being decided by Berlin this problem can't have solution. There are things Germans have difficulty to understand.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #148
Have a talk with him, propose some business in the EU for his companies, a bit of military cooperation, offer a few Mirages (he still has a small problem down there with the Polisario Front, I suppose), even a German submarine for his royal marine. Establish with him an immigration policy to the EU he can present to his people.
He knows how to eliminate the problem, that you can be sure.

:yes: That sounds a lot more like what I was thinking, but I didn't want to overshoot on a topic on which I'm fairly ignorant.

Reply #149

You forgot to mention sainthood!