Skip to main content
Topic: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga (Read 348058 times)

Re: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga

Reply #1875
However, not too much different from Hussein's regime protecting the sunite minority... or... Idi Amin Dada or Ceausescu or Papa Doc... the list of non democratic republics defending minorities is endless.
Except that Oakdale is lying through his teeth. It was because small states were concerned about getting lorded over the by the large one, racial and ethnic minorities (and women) be damned. The founding fathers didn't give a rat's flea-infested ass about minority rights (and many, if not most, owned slaves...)

The "America is republic not democracy" crowd also doesn't seem to understand what a modern democracy even is, or even that a being a democracy and a republic simultaneously is not a contradiction. I find being happy to simply call America a republic to be a dangerous line of thinking; some of the most horrific, murderous regimes the world has ever seen (some of which Belfrager mentioned for us) have been republics. But it is true that America is not completely a Democracy. If it was, Trump would have lost the election having recieved nearly three million less votes.[1] Even in Congress, small states (including Nevada) are over represented. However, America also has direct Democracy in the form of referendums.
But we'll see if the looney can make it four years without getting himself impeached. Right now, I'd place equal odds on that.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #1876
Except that Oakdale is lying through his teeth.
Translation: His liberal college professors disagreed with me: so, he does too! :)
It was because small states were concerned about getting lorded over the by the large one, racial and ethnic minorities (and women) be damned.
The "be damned" part is very Obama-esque! What he means is "The Times They [Were] A-changing"… (Does he rail against the Incas or the Egyptians for their practices? No; just our Founding Fathers…
The founding fathers didn't give a rat's flea-infested ass about minority rights (and many, if not most, owned slaves...)
As usual, he's factually wrong… Funny how that never seems to stop him from making his Liberal Democratic point: Old is bad! New is better. "The state is God; God is the state!" (Trotsky) But, of course, only the "right" people should be allowed to govern…
I find being happy to simply call America a republic to be a dangerous line of thinking; some of the most horrific, murderous regimes the world has ever seen (some of which Belfrager mentioned for us) have been republics.
By that reasoning, you should be arrested and jailed: Jeffry Dahmer was a homosexual! But he was also a homicidal maniac and a cannibal… These last two facts seem more important, to me.
(There's a well-known name for the formal fallacy — but I'll spare you the erudition: You're ineptly "profiling". But, of course, you have your reasons! And you think people don't know? :) )
But you "chooses your poison," don't you? :) You argue like a child; and you refuse to grow up.
Sobeit.
The "America is [a] republic not democracy" crowd also doesn't seem to understand what a modern democracy even  is […] Even in Congress, small states (including Nevada) are over represented.
The distinction seems to evade you, Sang. The "small" states are still states…
Can you give me some examples of "modern" democracies? :) And how they differ from un-modern ones…

Democracies commit suicide. If that's what you want, you go first… :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1877
Nobody Oakdale can talk better out th side of the mouth but a Yank. Your lot DO boast about being so democratic and top of the list. The way you lot are educated with flags everywhere and droning nationalism you charge me wrongly. I have always been a supporter of conservatism in GB but then our idea of conservatism is very, very much different from America's You studiously do a dance to avoid the hard truth that the average Joe over there is brained into the so-called democracy stuff and the constitutional republic thinking is not in the front of the mind at all.

One of the more yeuchy matters on the change from Obama to Trump is that trump is right up there with that neo-fascist Prime Minister of Israel. In fact that and his government are dictators and dangerous but trump all for them.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1878
How's your PM May doing, by the way? :)
You still seem to think that Britain's opinion matters. As if you were still a world-power! But your example may bring down the EU… Other countries have problems, too.
When you say that "nobody can talk better out both sides of their mouth than a Yank" what you mean is simple: You still hold an (unexpressed) grudge against the U.S. — and you'll carry it to your grave. (Cold comfort, RJ. But if that's all you want, you're welcome to it.)
I did note, however, that your anti-Semitism has come back! Good for you, boy-o! Never let a prejudice die before you do!
Tradition!
进行 ...

Reply #1879
A grudge against a nutjobland?? I am glad that I don't live in the place although there are individual ex-colonists I have a lot of time for.  You lot have a general election and when one side loses all those young so-called educated young come out on the streets protesting and daft posters including 'he is not my President' and so on. You have a far bigger problem than anywhere else including here. our system is far wider represented than 2 corporate lots -yes two.

Oh and you can call me all the anti-Semtic stuff you want and kind of expected as Jews more or less control much of Wall Street and have great power in the country. Each time a President comes into office he goes and speaks to a national conference of Judaism which emphasises my point. As for Israel, i have no time for it at all. They can have a formal State but the Palestinians? Nope. May I remind that the Israeli Gestapo (Mossad) seeing you are a Yank!) stole British and Australian passports so they could send agents to elsewhere in the Middle East. Israel also builds on land stolen and gets away with it and they have always stuck a finger up to the UN and know will get away with it as America supports them and finances the damn place they live in. If the US did not do that the Jewish financial influencers in the ex-colonies would go daft. Obama's kick at Israel will be taken back when Trump goes in.

One outstanding thing about Trump on the positive is he does show more sense on Russia than Obama who has no legacy to talk about really. Utter tripe about another country influencing how people vote?!  No evidence just nothing but so many Yanks are so simple minded they just swallow anything because they were brought up in the days of the Cold war. America is making itself a laughing stock to the world at large on the stupidity and head-shaking baloney on saying Russia effected the election. And the nonsense coming from a big-headed nation that has for decades interfered with other countries and elections and so on. That a sizeable number over in your corner automatically believe the Russia nonsense and not a bit of evidence is a terrible indictment.

So call me what you like Oaky I will not change on the poor democracy in America that is failing so many basic and decent people nor will I be frightened off my stance on arrogant Israel. You lot created the mess and just to put another boot in I would say that Russia will continue to play a bigger part in the world and good for it while your country continues to practice political hypocrisy.

ps. When you fall apart I have 2 spare bedrooms...... :sing:

Reply #1880
Hey, guys (…are there any girls left, here? :( ): What do you think the chances are that President Obama pardons "Chelsea" Manning and Richard Snowden?
I wonder what the chances are (…it's never been litigated) that Trump trumps Obama's trump? :)

(Don't get me started on the Bergdahl case…)
进行 ...

Reply #1881
I think what Obama is doing in his last weeks is typical of the man and he will leave no impressive history behind .At one point he prattles on when Trump visited him in the White house then comes out with this anti-Russian guff. When he goes whatever Trump does Obama will be no great loss.

Reply #1882
0 and 0.

And huh?

Chance that Putin hands over Snowden to Trump (who in typical fashion has tweeted that Snowden should be killed and not be killed): bigger than 0, less than 50/50.

Chance that Snowden gets Icelandic citizenship: Same.

Would it matter: Unlikely

Chance of a fair trial in the US: bigger than 0, less than 50/50.

Reply #1883
When you say a "fair trial," jax, you of course mean that he shouldn't pay for his crimes… Sweden (or any other Scandinavian country; heck, Russia can keep him! is welcome to him. Iceland? Sure. Let them have him!) if he doesn't want to face a jury. But I suppose he's a whistle-blower — so, shouldn't we exonerate Russia herself, even if they're found to be culpable? :)
Snowden is at best a troll, at worst a traitor. (You'll disagree…) Do I care about him? No.
I care that our NSA allowed him to do what he did! Uncon-f'king- scionable … But, now, he's a celebrity!

That's our modern world. (Which may change, by the way… :) )
进行 ...

Reply #1884
If people came on to this forum who re new they would wonder about OakdaleFTL. I don't he is a sad reflection of too much nutjobland instead of common sense! When nothing funny on tv I can depend on him so maybe one accolade there? Well folks it is nice to be fair..... :sing:

Reply #1885
Your idea of "common sense" is decline until you're gone… Our "nutjobland" will long outlast others. (That's what Khrushchev meant when he pounded his shoe on the table at the UN proclaiming "We will bury you!" :) It wasn't a threat; it was a prediction, which failed.)
At any rate, let's hope this thread expires on January 20… :) Then we go on to jabbering about the 2020 Presidential Election!
I'm sure Midnight Raccoon already has his "predictions" ready!
进行 ...

Reply #1886
You are probably right about this thread going on too long. The damn circus is over and whether some Yanks like it or not that IS the case.

Reply #1887
Ah! But nothing ever really dies, on the internet!
进行 ...

Reply #1888
Time for a precedent and it was mainly an entertainment than anything too politically enhancing.

Reply #1889

The trouble with this photo is that Trump voters aren't self aware enough to understand this.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

Reply #1890
In other words, committed progressives still think they're hokey propaganda will work… :) (It will for people like Sang; that's all he's got!) Psst! Hillary lost the election…
I ask again: Who's your preferred candidate for 2020?

BTW: How do feel about your new "national monument"? (I understand Utah is more than a little miffed over Bear Ears, a 1.3 million acre usurpation… :(  )
进行 ...

Reply #1891

There be a new Sheriff in town!

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZbrcZttis[/VIDEO]
     In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.

Reply #1892
Enjoyable video, SF! (Hey, RJ: You watch videos… What did you think of this one? Oh: Didn't denigrate the Jews or Americans… Tuned out early, did you? One wonders why…

Just to rub it in: Hey, Sang. Hillary lost! Again I ask: Who's your next candidate…?
进行 ...

Reply #1893
How Tyranny begins via media manipulation

Four Techniques 45 is already employing

- Berate the media and turn the public against it
- Limit media access
- Threaten the media
- Bypass the media

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_anu-feuKE[/VIDEO]

I've also noted that the media is being called an opposition party. For what? Telling what 45 actually did? I also find it brilliant that people attack the "MSM" while relying on more dubious sources of information such as random "fake news" articles that show on Facebook and random blogs written by people that have zero accountability to journalistic standards (or in Oakdale's case, a counter-factual blog written by a member of a fascist party, quit literal ideological fascists not a prejorative.)  In short, actual news is being scorned while propoganda becomes the main "information" source. The result is a president acting like a tyrant from the word go, an imcompetent one at that.

Reply #1895
She was bullshitting, often the most efficient method of disinformation.

Reply #1896
Secret Docs Reveal: President Trump Has Inherited an FBI With Vast Hidden Powers

One of the more unusual aspects of the 2016 election, perhaps the one that will prove to be most consequential, was the covert political war waged between the CIA and FBI. While the top echelon of the CIA community was vehemently pro-Clinton, certain factions within the FBI were aggressively supportive of Trump.

Add 'the great job' of the 'free media' aka mainstream, whose critical comments towards past administrations I was missing during the last decade... (1.4 trillions spent on wars during the last three decades to 'save humanity' from whatever.)

So it's no wonder that the only two viable candidades left for the US presidency, were H.Clinton and D.Trump.
Two very charming choices, wherefrom the dear electorate had the great pleasure to choose from. ;)

Reply #1897
Greenwald still thinks of himself as a journalist? :)
进行 ...

Reply #1898
Tillerson confirmed as SecState.
This actually surprised me… I'd have thought his was the most controversial nomination.

Any thoughts?
进行 ...

Reply #1899
Tillerson confirmed as SecState.
This actually surprised me… I'd have thought his was the most controversial nomination.

Any thoughts?
Seriously, what about any of Trump's actions can surprise one? The guy is a political nobody. He has two ways of filling posts: Roll the dice or listen to the suggestions of someone who pretends to know better.