Skip to main content
Topic: Political Correctness -- The Origins, & 21st Century Promotions  (Read 7480 times)

Re: Political Correctness -- The Origins, & 21st Century Promotions

Reply #25
What the heck is an "anti-semete"?
An anti-semete would not recognise a neologism. That's why he's an anti-semete.

Reply #26
What the heck is an "anti-semete"?
Clearly he was having fun with words. I would assume Anti-Semetic an expansion of semet. Anti-Memetic would make good sense, and Anti-Mimetic is actually an established concept. 

Reply #27
Maybe… But I'd presume it a mere typo, which I viciously took advantage of! (Yeah, I'm like that sometimes.) Still, some people can't admit a simple error… :)

Even if not, I'd oppose "navel gazing".
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #28
Maybe... But I'd presume it a mere typo,...
When RJ did it, it was a typo, but his typos are often inseparable from genuine howieisms. When I borrowed it, it was already a word play, a neologism to test if you can make the same easy associations. No hope of that.

Reply #29
Very subtle jax!

Meanwhile i will never be controlled by PC mindsets no matter what they label. As soon as someone speaks out in the public eye the media and politicians go bananas then the person gets all shaky and starts apologising but my corner is not of that tradition even though and never will be.

When that long standing neo-Marxist and former London Mayor Ken Livingstone made a passing comment in a speech the PC mob went crazy. In a comment he had passingly said that on coming to power well known Nazi leader (Eichman think it was) had suggested that all Jews be shunted out the country to Palestine but Hitler would have non of that.  Now I don;t have any time for his poliiical stance (he was also for years leaning towards  Smiley's pals the Shinners for years). Immediately all hell broke out and although i have no time for Livingstone he was hounded like  crazy. One other Labour Party man an actual MP was seen following him into a building and shouting and going daft. We are getting this all the time these days and as much as I have little regard for that ex-mayor he got bad treatment. There will always be an issue in the elastic bit of a dislike of the State of Israel becomes neatly drawn into an anti-semitic  label. The usual trait is very quick and restricts the right of free speech.  Whether is is on Jews, sex issues, Islam and "let's have an open discussion" on the meida or somehwere very quickly the labels get damn well dished out to deflect rather than arguing.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #30
So: The actual sense of the words…don't matter? :) Typical.
Mind, I'm certainly not opposed to neologisms! But mindless, meaningless ones are like the crossword puzzles grade-school teachers give their students: A means of teaching their students that discipline doesn't matter… You'll still get a pat on the head and a Gold Star, because you tried! You're so prescious!
进行 ...

Reply #31
Coming from a country that exercises to much control you have a nerve. However I do hope things improve for you ad can get out the house and see normal people.

Reply #32
Two sentences, and two misspellings… It's not like you've outdone yourself: You've done much worse before!

BTW: If you're an example of "normal people" I may have to return to arresting people for being stupid! (I was told I couldn't do that…)
————————————————————
Yeah: That's bullshit. I was never a cop. But I did sometimes upbraid stupid people. Still, I stayed out of trouble.

Howie -it seems- did too. I suspect the techniques we used were quite different; indeed, incommensurate.

Oh, the so-called "normal people" you claim to know are much like you…
Doesn't that tell you something? :)
进行 ...

Reply #33
A cop?? Eh? Sober up before typing. Hhhm. Maybe not you will go even more blank......

Reply #34
As usual, RJ, you don't read what anyone writes, yourself included…
进行 ...

Reply #35
And you boy don't get out enough to understand real people!