Sometimes
[ 4 ] (100%)
Only When I'm Armed With A Taser
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic: Doctors (Read 14046 times)

Re: Doctors

Reply #25
No, I know Chicago well enough not to move there.

Reply #26
I live in the Western 'Burbs, and so I've gotten old and begin to have the old age aches and pains. It's not a lot of fun to have arthritic knees and an aching back, but it beats moving to Englewood (a South-Side neighborhood of Chicago, for you out-of-towners).

I think I'll start a new thread on poverty. More later.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/wealth-poverty/guns-and-dollars/economic-breakdown-chicagos-englewood-neighborhood
This week, Marketplace's Sylvester Monroe reports from Englewood, a neighborhood on Chicago's South Side, which has one of the highest homicide rates in the city. Here's an economic breakdown of the area:

Population: 30,654
Average income: $11,993 (Chicago's is $27,148)
Poverty level: 42.2 percent
Unemployment rate: 21.3 percent
Percent without high school diploma: 29.4 percent
Violent crime ranking: From 11/26/12 to 12/26/2012, Englewood ranked 9th of 77 neighborhoods when it comes to homicides, assaults and rapes. Nineteen violent crimes over the time period were on the street or on a sidewalk. One was at a school and one was at a bus stop. There were 17 homicides in 2012.
Property crime rankings: From 11/26/12 to 12/26/2012, Englewood ranked 6th of 77 neighborhoods when it comes to thefts, car thefts and arson.
Quality of life crime rankings: From 11/26/12 to 12/26/2012, Englewood ranked 6th of 77 neighborhoods when it comes to narcotics, vandalism and prostitution crimes.
Other facts: Englewood has one of the highest concentrations of relocated project households that use housing vouchers on the private market; Of Englewood's 15,210 households, 274 were moved from the projects to Englewood between 1999 and 2010. That's 1.5 percent of households, one of the highest concentrations in the city.

Reply #27
Quote from: mjmsprt40 on 2015-06-12, 02:56:36I live in the Western 'Burbs, and so I've gotten old and begin to have the old age aches and pains. It's not a lot of fun to have arthritic knees and an aching back, but it beats moving to Englewood (a South-Side neighborhood of Chicago, for you out-of-towners).I think I'll start a new thread on poverty. More later.

I changed my mind. No poverty thread from me.

Reply #28
Last time I was at the optician (test free) my reading and distant accompanying specs came to £70.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #29
Well, my wife picked up her new glasses yesterday. Altogether the cost was $801! The problem was that she was played by doctors, etc., working in concert. It's disgusting that professionals would work in concert to milk a client.

Reply #30
A case for Doctors... sexually transmitted diseases.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z9DwMKvqcc[/video]
A matter of attitude.

Reply #31
For goodness sake jimbro that is a disgusting price. Glad i live where I do with such prices and an awful situation.

Reply #32
It is disgusting. If I didn't have vision care as a part of my retirement package, it would have been much worse.

Reply #34
Which comes to about $893. We'll stick with the mess we fell into.

Now, if we cut back slightly on the $600,000,000,000 we spend on defense, glasses could be free.

I know that number doesn't seem possible, but it's true.

Reply #36

Now, if we cut back slightly on the $600,000,000,000 we spend on defense, glasses could be free.

So you could see the enemy invading you...

United States has never been invaded. Most likely, United States will fall like Rome: After having conquered all the world and thus having eliminated any chance of invasion, it implodes on its own weight.

Reply #37
Most likely, United States will fall like Rome: After having conquered all the world and thus having eliminated any chance of invasion, it implodes on its own weight.

I worry about Canada.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPGPAnPNa8[/video]

Reply #38
Back to doctors...
An anesthesiologist is eating her words, after a Fairfax County, Virginia, jury ordered her and a Bethesda, Maryland practice to pay a patient $500,000 in damages for medical malpractice and defamation.

The patient, identified only as "D.B." in court papers to protect his identity, was undergoing a routine colonoscopy in April 2013 at a Reston, Va., facility.

Woman Sues Hospital for Sticker Prank During Surgery
According to court documents, D.B. used his smartphone to record the doctor's instructions for post-operative care but forgot to stop the recording when he was sedated.

On his way home from the procedure, he started listening to the recording and found that the anesthesiologist, Tiffany Ingham, and other medical staff had made insulting comments about him while he was unconscious.

"Really, after five minutes of talking to you in pre-op, I wanted to punch you in the face and man you up a little bit," Ingham could be heard saying in the recording. The recordings, which were entered into evidence in the lawsuit, also caught Ingham writing a false diagnosis in D.B.'s chart.

"I'm going to mark hemorrhoids even though we don't see them and probably won't," she said in the recording. "I'm just going to take a shot in the dark."

The Bullshit Chronicles :D

Reply #40
Amazing! Talking history books.
:D :D

Reply #41
I still feel for jimbro's wife and the cost is mind-boggling. If she had been here the glasses would have been  les than£100 and even around being under $100 dollars and as I said although I am now trying bi-focals my last 2 pairs for distance and reading cost less than $100 around £75 and the test, free. He is so right about the ridiculous military budget as so many people could get better basic things.

Reply #43
They call that Napoleon's Russian campaign. The War of 1812 was on another continent without Napoleonic involvement.

Reply #44

United States has never been invaded.

Odd. My history books talk of the War of 1812. :P

So do mine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_invasion_of_Russia but United States was not invaded there. What do your history books say?

British forces burned Washington during the War of 1812. Since the US was already a nation by that time, on our 4th president (James Madison) that counts as an invasion by a foreign power. Geez, and here you Europeans are always spouting about how we don't know history beyond our shores..........Get a better history book.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #45

They call that Napoleon's Russian campaign. The War of 1812 was on another continent without Napoleonic involvement.

In Russia it's called (Patriotic) War of 1812. The American War of 1812 was indeed unknown to me. From what I read on Wikipedia, it can be seen either as a conflict between the States and the Kingdom in the context of Napoleonic wars or as an extension of the American War of Independence.

British forces burned Washington during the War of 1812. Since the US was already a nation by that time, on our 4th president (James Madison) that counts as an invasion by a foreign power. Geez, and here you Europeans are always spouting about how we don't know history beyond our shores..........Get a better history book.

Interesting. From what I read on Wikipedia, it looks like the United States succeeded in making enemies by declaring war and pushing into foreign territory first, i.e. if there was an invasion, you did it first, whereas the invasion by the Brits was far from unprovoked.

So, Mr. Madison thought he was going to conquer Canada. Thanks for calling my attention to it. I didn't know this about him. Always happy to learn new stuff, even though it's just another detail indicative of the trend that has been known all along.

Reply #46
And even if jimbro's good lady had been here seeing doctors here her glasses would never have reached that amount and certainly could have got a pair less than 3 figures.. It is every day things like that which makes the military bill another disgrace and to the people less well off. We could have an overseas fortnight holiday for what she had to pay.

Reply #47
I should have mentioned that the bill covered much more that the glasses. The details aren't interesting, so....

Reply #48

Average LASIK Eye Surgery Costs. Keep in mind that these prices are for one procedure, which means one eye only. If you're having LASIK on both eyes, you'll need to double the price quoted. In 2013, the average cost overall for laser vision correction was $2,073 per eye (up from $1,941 the previous year).

They should offer a mutli-eye discount for that price,  like they do with car insurance.  :P

Reply #49
That jimbro is also a shocking price as well. Glad i live here.