[ 0 ] (0%)
Sometimes
[ 4 ] (100%)
Only When I'm Armed With A Taser
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic: Doctors (Read 14044 times)

Doctors

My wife needed new glasses, so we went to an office attached to a local Walmart facility. Maybe that should have been a warning.

The upshot is that she's been to three facilities for a total of four visits...AND she has at least two more visits! It's a real con game. These guys run a game of you recommend me and I'll return the favor. These are going to be the most expensive glasses I've ever been involved in. Add to that the fact that today's visit included a recommendation that my wife consider Lasik surgery.
Average LASIK Eye Surgery Costs. Keep in mind that these prices are for one procedure, which means one eye only. If you're having LASIK on both eyes, you'll need to double the price quoted. In 2013, the average cost overall for laser vision correction was $2,073 per eye (up from $1,941 the previous year).

Re: Doctors

Reply #1
Sears would have given her the exam and two pairs of glasses for about $100.00… Nobody ever taught you how to shop?
(If she needs multi-focul lenses, the current prices are about double…)

But I suspect they see you coming from a mile away!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #2
Dman shame and in the wrong country jimbro!

Ten years ago I needed both eyes done by the laser treatment and no charge. Unfortunately about 5 years ago took Macular Degeneration in one eye but every year is checked and has remained stable. All done on the NHS and even if someone went private would still be cheaper than over the water!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #3
Sears would have given her the exam and two pairs of glasses for about $100.00… Nobody ever taught you how to shop?

Me? Didn't I mention that it was for my wife. She doesn't consult me when she shops. Apparently, you haven't been married, or you were married to a "Yes, honey" kind of woman.

Reply #4

Dman shame and in the wrong country jimbro!

Ten years ago I needed both eyes done by the laser treatment and no charge. Unfortunately about 5 years ago took Macular Degeneration in one eye but every year is checked and has remained stable. All done on the NHS and even if someone went private would still be cheaper than over the water!

I have no idea what it would have cost had my wife ignored the recommendations of the person in the facility, but $140 is a possibility. The problem stems from her accepting the recommendations of that person. My wife says that it will never happen again.

The NHS is terrific, but it isn't free. Nothing is free, not even in Scotland.

For 2015/16 the NHS budget is £115.4 billion. In the US that's $176,359,975,000.

For a comparative measure, the Defense Department budget for 2015 is $526,000,000,000. What the hell, this is a dangerous world, but I prefer the UK's priorities.

Reply #5
Apparently, you haven't been married, or you were married to a "Yes, honey" kind of woman.
Yeah, you're right. (But when she said it she meant "Believe what you want. I'll do what I want." :) )
进行 ...

Reply #6
"Believe what you want. I'll do what I want."

Been there, done that. In fact, still doing that. Going to a wine party tonight. I don't drink wine, don't want to be with people drinking wine. The last outing wasn't fun.

Reply #7
Did you know that Modesto is the home of Thunderbird? (Which really is better warm… But only the most down-scale shops sell it that way. :) )
进行 ...

Reply #8
Not a wine aficionado, I didn't know that.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOnCYHbbWhQ[/video]

Reply #9
What you overlook here jimbro is that anyone living here including new arrivals gets the treatment they need including those who don't pay national insurance. The NHS is still one h of a better process than what happens in the States. There the medical progression is a money making paradise.Too many there who are tight money-wise cannot get what they need. Twice i have watched a documentary about a team of doctors who volunteered travelling around the States setting up a mobile camp for free treatment and they could't cope.

Reply #10
"Is Thunderbird actually a wine?" No, of course not! It's an alcoholic beverage… But one of the least likely to be the cause of DUI. Guys who drink Thunderbird do (as the video -partly clever- noted) tend to keep the bottle in a paper bag; and they're usually sitting on a stoop or a park bench.
进行 ...

Reply #11
What you overlook here jimbro is that anyone living here including new arrivals gets the treatment they need including those who don't pay national insurance. The NHS is still one h of a better process than what happens in the States.

I agree.

Reply #14
I've never been a wine drinker but my wife is. When she samples something new to her, I always take a tiny sample. The result is always the same...damned awful. I can't explain that response any better than I could if I took a sip of wine vinegar.
But then many elements conspire to make this vinegar special. Its history for starters—the very first grape must vinegars were made in the area in Roman times, although the qualifier ‘balsamic’ was only appended to the condiment in the 18th century. Then its production method—must from Trebbiano, Lambrusco or Ancellotta grapes is cooked, then fermented and aged in progressively smaller casks made of chestnut, mulberry, oak, juniper, ash and other woods, for at least 12 years. And most of all, its taste—thick, viscous and glossy dark, it teases the mouth with a round, velvety texture and a complex flavour that has notes of must and of the many woods the vinegar aged in. And, unlike any other vinegar, the balsamico’s perfect balance of sweet and sour ensures it is just as good on salads, meats and parmesan as on strawberries, zabaione or custard.

See what I mean?

I scanned the piece from the NYTimes. There's something about wine reviews that I find entertaining. They have the fragrance of a review of a religion.

I love the NYTimes! It has the essence of the finest journalism with a hint of the best ancient Greek texts and a touch of Cato's De agricultura.

My wife and I went to a wine tasting event in the Tennessee wilderness just yesterday. Cheese and bread. Fruit. Locally produced wine. My choice?

Reply #15
Now that is a real golden answer.

Reply #16

I've never been a wine drinker but my wife is. When she samples something new to her, I always take a tiny sample. The result is always the same...damned awful. I can't explain that response any better than I could if I took a sip of wine vinegar.
But then many elements conspire to make this vinegar special. Its history for starters—the very first grape must vinegars were made in the area in Roman times, although the qualifier ‘balsamic’ was only appended to the condiment in the 18th century. Then its production method—must from Trebbiano, Lambrusco or Ancellotta grapes is cooked, then fermented and aged in progressively smaller casks made of chestnut, mulberry, oak, juniper, ash and other woods, for at least 12 years. And most of all, its taste—thick, viscous and glossy dark, it teases the mouth with a round, velvety texture and a complex flavour that has notes of must and of the many woods the vinegar aged in. And, unlike any other vinegar, the balsamico’s perfect balance of sweet and sour ensures it is just as good on salads, meats and parmesan as on strawberries, zabaione or custard.

See what I mean?

I scanned the piece from the NYTimes. There's something about wine reviews that I find entertaining. They have the fragrance of a review of a religion.

I love the NYTimes! It has the essence of the finest journalism with a hint of the best ancient Greek texts and a touch of Cato's De agricultura.

My wife and I went to a wine tasting event in the Tennessee wilderness just yesterday. Cheese and bread. Fruit. Locally produced wine. My choice?

Is that before it went through the urinary system or after?

Reply #17
Is that before it went through the urinary system or after?

Once again, I lied. That's Mr. Howie's favorite drink. After scotch whisky, it's Scotland's finest brew. It is available here in Tennessee, but...well, just but.

Jim's favorite drinks
==================
1. coffee, 2 cups per day
2. diet caffeine-free Coke, 1 or 2 per day...too much potassium*
3. water
4. milk

* A while back my doctor told me to limit the amount of Coke I drank because of the potassium in it. I asked what it could do to me. Her answer? It can kill you.

Methinks she was exaggerating.

Reply #18

* A while back my doctor told me to limit the amount of Coke I drank because of the potassium in it. I asked what it could do to me. Her answer? It can kill you.

Methinks she was exaggerating.

Pretty much anything can kill you if you take enough of it.

Reply #19
Including The DnD Sanctuary, I suppose.

Reply #20
Her answer?  It can kill you.

(That quote belongs to Jimbro but I am too lazy for search it.)
Dear Jimbro, why do you go to woman doctors? Women knows shit about a man's health and pleasures.
Do you want to get killed by some idiotic women doctor? They are good to treat babies and the such, not men.

Get a real doctor if you are an hypochondriac.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #21

He's old. Old people's issues are real. Thus far I have not seen a doctor who could save people from old age...

Reply #24

He's old. Old people's issues are real. Thus far I have not seen a doctor who could save people from old age...

Move to Chicago. Certain South-Side neighborhoods have gangs that come fully equipped to save you from all of your old-age problems--- by making sure you never live to get old.

I live in the Western 'Burbs, and so I've gotten old and begin to have the old age aches and pains. It's not a lot of fun to have arthritic knees and an aching back, but it beats moving to Englewood (a South-Side neighborhood of Chicago, for you out-of-towners).
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!