Boris Johnson's going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
Cameron's going on.
[ 0 ] (0%)
The Labourists are going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
Riots are going on.
[ 2 ] (18.2%)
It's raining again. And again.. and again...
[ 5 ] (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Topic: What's going on in the UK and Crown Dependencies (Read 108967 times)

Re: What's going on in the UK and Crown Dependencies

Reply #275
Now jimbro. What would you do if that woman came at you with a whip?
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #277
Nothing more than a penguin colony,  :pingu: :pingu: :pingu: :pingu: :pingu: :pingu:
So I couldn't care less about them.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #278
Typical Brigadoon comment. Virtually 100% in a referendum there wanted to stay linked with us so Colonel you can understand Luxor's kilted, shortbread mindset.  If they all waved the saltire his lot have stolen he would be like someone on the road to Damascus in biblical times .Kind of illustrates a warped view of democracy or rights.

As for the naval thing I do not think that the Falklands are under any threat and the reason why the Argies moan is that they smell oil. Oops, I should not have mentioned oil as the Luxor minds have seen North Sea oil get catastrophic!  :lol:

Reply #279
Typical Brigadoon comment.

Says the clown who still thinks king billy has any relevance in the 21st century.
You probably didn't even know where the Falklands were before Thatcher got in a tizzy about them.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #280
Oh but i did, I did. I would remind your narrow outlook mind that it was King Billy who brought in the Bill of Rights that was the basis for the journey to modern democracy. It is a bit amusing that a separatist forgets that Wallace and Bruce are even further back and didn't do what the Glorious Revolution man did (even though I thought the Bannockburn win was outstanding in itself). Your mindset people all act like robots and unlike other political parties do not tend to have rebels.

When you get back to primary school do take your time and learn. Meantime I can let you know in advance that Brigadoon did not exist so don't cry.

Reply #281
Meantime I can let you know in advance that Brigadoon did not exist so don't cry.

It seems to exist quite fine in that small mind of yours.

Reply #282
Well by all means try and be pompous and sniffingly above it all but it does not work. I happened to watch David Starkey the historian doing his hour long programme on the Monarchy and he did it all on Monday night the Glorious Revolution and the welcome change in authority with William's determination to be part of that. Even the Yanks got ideas from his Bill of Rights and new directions. So by all means keep to your brief smart alex stuff and help your pomposity as the practical facts and your Brigadoon brain will find it difficul to be otherwiset.  :hat:

Proud to be Scots - proud to be British.

Reply #283

Reply #284
I think the Labour supporters mention is a challenge as the more working class they are the more they want out of Europe and Labour knows that. The Guardian doesn't amount to anything as it has been declining for ages.

Reply #285
This may have been posted already, if so, my apologies, but I found this to be a good article to share with some of my friends who didn't much understand what Brexit is: Der Spiegel's explanation of Brexit

Reply #286
How funny to watch the English now terrorized with what happens when they finally leave.
They thought that they even could be out and benefiting as still being in. Incredible.

Go Brexit, go. That Europe can finnaly get rid of such false people.
Bye bye.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #287
May I remind you Bel that after Germany and France the Brits came third as net contributors to the EU.

Reply #288
net contributors to the EU.
That makes me laugh a lot.

For the important things, in case people don't know, the UK exiting the EU means that they are forced to keep on following all the rules for two years while negotiating the exit agreement terms.

What happens during such negotiations? simple, every single pretension the UK presents for assuring privileges will be refused by all the other countries, as obvious. UK demands will create the biggest union ever seen between all the European countries and force Germany to let the UK to fall. And what a fall it would be.

So Krake, if someone needs reminders and advices those would be the British not the others. Brexit is not an intelligent move for the UK, therefore I support it entirely, Britain first.
Don't you love politics? :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #291
That makes me laugh a lot.

For the important things, in case people don't know, the UK exiting the EU means that they are forced to keep on following all the rules for two years while negotiating the exit agreement terms.

What happens during such negotiations? simple, every single pretension the UK presents for assuring privileges will be refused by all the other countries, as obvious. UK demands will create the biggest union ever seen between all the European countries and force Germany to let the UK to fall. And what a fall it would be.

So Krake, if someone needs reminders and advices those would be the British not the others. Brexit is not an intelligent move for the UK, therefore I support it entirely, Britain first.
Don't you love politics? :)

Furthermore the contributions, net or otherwise, are misleading. About 1% of the total gross national income of the member countries goes to the EU. Compare that with the around 20% that goes to the US federal budget. The reason is simple, the US federal government is a government, the EU institutions are not. Almost  all government activity is at national level or below.

Back in the day most of the EU money went into the Common Agricultural Policy, but that programme is gradually shrinking. The structural funds are growing and may soon eclipse CAP. Over time the net contributions (total contributions to the budget minus EU money spent in the country) have changed. The large countries are more noticable as they have a larger population, but back in 2007 the numbers were:

Northern and Western Europe is seemingly generous to Southern and Eastern, but remember this is about the 1% of the EUropean economy. How the benefit turns out for the 99% is harder to say. 

Britain is definitely giving away their current advantages assuming a Leave. If they were to leave and then realise they shouldn't have, they would have a problem. Most countries would be happy to let the UK back in again, but to join the EU it isn't enough to have the support of "most countries", they need the acceptance of every single country of the remaining 27 countries, particularly the ones that might be less welcoming. If Britain were to try to rejoin they would probably have to eat a lot of snails.

Reply #292
Should the UK leave, they shouldn't hold their breath waiting for a good deal when negotiating new trade deals, etc.

After leaving what can the UK put on the table to get the EU to give them privileges or preferment?

Saying we are the UK and we are special will not cut it.

Reply #293
Time for a Brexit break; time for a Marmite test!
[video]https://youtu.be/q_BxxyhPFNs[/video]

Reply #294
Wrong, Marmite is better. =p

Reply #295
Happy BREXIT day folks. Mr. Howie is smiling!

Reply #296
Mr. Howie is smiling!
Not for long.
Scotland has already announced their intention of having a new referendum, turn independent and join the EU.  :lol:

Finally, the UK (?) playing with three or four teams at the European Championship will finish. They will be certainly welcome to the North American League.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #297
The guy of the Brexit has already run away. Cowards.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #298
David Cameron is the worst PM in the history of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Agree or disagree, and what is basis of your reasoning?

Reply #299
What? They aren't entitled to their "wider" democracy? :)

It's amazing (which is to say, common-place…) how many people support democracy, so long as they're in the majority…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)