Skip to main content
Topic: The Death Penalty (Read 8314 times)

Re: The Death Penalty

Reply #1
Here is the link to Judge Kozinski's Criminal Law 2.0 article… I think you'll find much to agree with when he discusses the death penalty, via exonerations (section 6.). But the whole is worth considering in the context of your topic.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #2
Terrific piece. I loved the end.

"CONCLUSION
‘Nuff said."
=====================
The death penalty has been completely abolished in all European countries, except for Belarus and Kazakhstan. That seals it. But my objection is practical. I don't like the idea of killing people.

Reply #3
But my objection is practical. I don't like the idea of killing people.
I'm not sure, myself… I don't like the idea of letting people kill people I care about — which includes me.
The death penalty does preclude recidivism. But the "kinks" in our criminal justice system -well documented- give one pause —
And experienced, conscientious and concerned (…is there a way to be one and not the other?) jurists of such stature make me doubt my gut reaction.
进行 ...

Reply #4
Death penalty it's a necessity.

First the German Nazi in a wheel chair. Then, the rest of German government, with Merkel as the main star. Then the entire European Union Brussels's collaborationists, then all European governments.

A special mention for Finnish government's son of a bitch. Those will be beheaded with plastic blades so they suffer more.

At the most, no more than three or four thousand criminals. Such a low price for such a big benefit.
If we still speak about the French Revolution it's because heads rolled. Nothing else.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5

I'm not sure, myself… I don't like the idea of letting people kill people I care about

In my opinion, that's the point that's often overlooked. Take more care of the criminals than of the innocents?
In a "good" world, you arrest the criminal, take him in jail, and, if he's not guilty actually, at least he's alive, and when he's released he's not going to kill anybody anymore.
I the "real" world (I mean: here), you arrest hundreds or thousands of criminals, most of them are already obviously guilty - more than once, much more -, there aren't enough jails to keep them, and then:

• they escape easily, or

• if they don't escape, they remain commanding crimes from inside the jail, and

• when they are released, they'll do it all again.

So you can't give them the death penalty, when everybody knows that keeping them alive isn't worth the risk.
Of course, there may be casualties - condemning innocents or not giving an opportunity to somebody that could be regenerated - but would such exceptions justify the risk of having all those criminals kept alive?

I'm not affirming anything; I'm just raising questions.

Reply #6
First the German Nazi in a wheel chair. Then, the rest of German government, with Merkel as the main star. Then the entire European Union Brussels's collaborationists, then all European governments.

A special mention for Finnish government's son of a bitch. Those will be beheaded with plastic blades so they suffer more.
I hear sputtering impotent rage… Maybe you should move to a more convivial corner of the globe? Might I suggest Antarctica? :)
进行 ...

Reply #8
Off with his thread!

Reply #9
I must say that I am against the death penalty and people do get executed who have been found out later to have been innocent. Too barbaric as well when there is a list of different types of putting people to death.  When it was a news item that poisoning was a problem due to the new ingredients and a prisoner could die in great pain, etc , it just made me even more so against executions.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #12
Well tt92 you are keeping up your usual consistency by the norm of snidy, smug attempts at being clever. Remember and give the smug smile when at the mirror.

Reply #13
Have you any idea what "etc" means?

Reply #16
Poor jimbro added to the sweeping statement on the elderly. Ah, well.

Anyway on a more in the face situation there is a country that has a selection of executions. You cab be hung, porpoised slowly, electrified, shot by firing squad. To add to the despicable nature of it of all this people can come and watch the grisly horror. Decency, principle? Neither.

Reply #17
This! From a man who's country would draw and quarter…
进行 ...

Reply #18

Poor jimbro added to the sweeping statement on the elderly. Ah, well.

Anyway on a more in the face situation there is a country that has a selection of executions. You cab be hung, porpoised slowly, electrified, shot by firing squad. To add to the despicable nature of it of all this people can come and watch the grisly horror. Decency, principle? Neither.

I know you have never answered a direct question in these forums, but could you make an exception, just once?
What is involved in being porpoised slowly?

Reply #19
My guess would be "water boarded"… To a man like Howie, the fear of death and death itself are one and the same.
Were he as bright as a porpoise he'd be smarter! :) (Not more intelligible, mind you. But perhaps smarter…)
进行 ...

Reply #20
You really are something else tt92. It goes beyond your conceited attitude on what you think is intelligence. Forums are good for people who are never taken any notice of in real life. Tell me once where I have had a direct response from you or your fellow nut job Oakdale on the list of negatives in the USA - you know the most wonderful country on earth. Neither YOU or HIM has ever been able to destroy the list of issues that effect millions over there. The simple answer is you cannot answer so really make a mockery of what passes for grey cells. Pity you don't have such as would go delightfully with the redneck. You really have a nerve trying to make accusations re myself when you cannot do answers. Not once in either the old Opera and this forum has anyone ever directly been able to answer my charges against the US and especially on it's internal attitudes which make a mockery of the stance globally.Hope you are enjoying your school holidays and maybe I should make allowances for your elementary years.

Reply #21
You really make yourself look stupid Oakdale with that nonsense about being hung drawn quartered. Something from centuries ago when your corner wasn't even a proper country yet. May I also remind that in America you were still hanging people in public squares fro crowds to come and watch right up to the 1930's.

We being more civilised do not have the death penalty here and stopped a great many decades ago. You lot however were also still killing blacks in the 1960's, refusing them the vote in the "world's greatest democracy.  In fact right itno the 20th century blacks getting burned to death or lunched in what were modern times and a vast corrupt KKK that ran police forces, towns, politics with membership in hundreds of thousands. You have not moved on from old ideas in fact. Firings squads, poisoning people, hanging and electrocuting. How barbaric in a modern world. In fact your whole legal system is more revenge than any fairness.

Land of the free and home of the brave applies only to the cumfy and you have not moved on in modern time never mind centuries ago.

Reply #22
Firings squads, poisoning people, hanging and electrocuting.

They (Americans) don't do it anymore.
They're modern people that wants to imitate Europeans but don't know how. So they kill people with "lethal" injections. It needs three, but since they are out of money and they're so clever, they substituted it by veterinarian injections to horses.
America at it's best.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #23

You really are something else tt92..

What the hell does that mean?
And while you are answering this direct question, how about another one.
I asked it a few days ago.
"What is involved in being porpoised slowly?"

Reply #24
Play games with the mirror tt92. You are so quick about others not answering things when you do it continually yourself. Interesting that wherever you were educated that conceit, self-importance and arrogance were part of the teaching. However I will say you you do well in all so there we are!