Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Bad News (Read 117685 times)

Re: Today's Bad News

Reply #202
If you don't believe me, ask a Uranian.

Wow Jimbro, these are great news. So there is life on Uranus.
Did you already contact them? What else did they told you?
:D

Reply #203
I should have spelled it "yer anus."

Although I might have meant Ukrainian.

Reply #204
A Ukrainian would have been just as bad.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #206
Insanity runs rampant…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #207
Well I stretch out to you Oakdale and agree with that comment..you should well know!

Reply #208
http://www.lgbtmuslimretreat.com/
While homosexuality is not illegal in the country, it remains a controversial issue in the Muslim-dominated country. Now in the latest effort to crackdown on gay rights, Indonesian authorities want to ban emojis, stickers and emoticons which depict same-sex couples, the rainbow flag, and any symbol that symbolises the lesbian, bay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. Apps that have been targeted by the demands include the popular Asian messaging app LINE, Whatsapp, Facebook and Twitter. The Indonesian Communication and Information Ministry added that a particular concern was that children would find the bright coloured stickers appealing.

Cute little guys, eh?

Reply #209
When it comes to hugging it would be really brilliant if the ex-colonies tried to hug real democracy and looked after the legions of citizens who are suffering. Now that would be a definitive hug!

Reply #210

When it comes to hugging it would be really brilliant if the ex-colonies tried to hug real democracy and looked after the legions of citizens who are suffering. Now that would be a definitive hug!

Tell us more about how your current government is doing so well in taking care of it's citizens please.  :eyes:
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2015-32413080

Reply #211
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/0205/Why-planting-some-trees-could-make-global-warming-worse
Why planting some trees could make global warming worse

The observed effect of trees on climate in Europe is challenging widespread beliefs about how to mitigate climate change.

[…]

“Two and a half centuries of forest management in Europe have not cooled the climate,” the study concludes. “The political imperative to mitigate climate change through afforestation and forest management therefore risks failure, unless it is recognized that not all forestry contributes to climate change mitigation.”

Really though, are these really "widespread beliefs"? The managed forests they're talking about were grown for the express purpose of having wood, not to improve the ecosystem or to manage the climate. Besides the question of pine vs other trees it's also well-known that such farm forests don't have the kind of ecosystem diversity that natural forests display and are thus more likely to cause erosion, succumb to forest fires, plagues, etc. In short, what I consider widespread knowledge about forests is that only sufficiently natural forests are actually good for the local environment, by extension for the global environment, and this new information about temperature only strengthens that common (sense) knowledge.

Reply #212
Why would a newspaper titled "Christian Science Monitor" be addressing this issue in this particular way? Are they just monitoring, doing science, or proclaiming Christianity? All that? None of it?

Reply #213
Food banks are a point of political nonsense. The areas I worked in for years in the education department were supposed to have all sorts of poverty. Kind of funny that matter as the district I spent so much time doing voluntary stuff in had a surfeit of satellite television, multiple was a black hackney car rank (much dearer) where a line of them would sit and be constantly used. Via the Welfare State rents were paid, generous payouts and so on. Food banks were a leftist matter of trying to prove something that is in practical fact a nonsense. One family in that "poor area" regularly emptied their large freezer of excess food and just proved how misused the Welfare system is.

On an even wider note may i also say Southern boy that the present government has been raising the start of when you pay tax each year by £500 and has nbw reached £11,000 and will soon got up to £11,500 then £12,000. The minimum wage has already been increased and will by the end of the parliament go ou are being given out sums like £30 and many well above that annually so the food bank thing is a political direction. The State Pension is being increased by just over £ a week and the Labour lot increase (party of the people) dished out 50 pence (you also paid tax as soon as you reached around £6,700). We don't need any lessons from a place like the country you come from in a land of so much would-be principle where a million a year lose homes and 40 million poor on food stamps. I believe on the principle of our welfare and health system but it was not before time that a government stopped the dam,n misuse of it. You really take the proverbial bit scoffing especially from a land that spends half the world armaments bill while tens of millions struggle and the economy and wages stagnating.

Sort out your own long nuilt-in hypocrisy before you look anywhere else because your poor have a worse time.

Reply #214

Why would a newspaper titled "Christian Science Monitor" be addressing this issue in this particular way? Are they just monitoring, doing science, or proclaiming Christianity? All that? None of it?

Christian Science is of course an oxymoron, but I think it's [Christian [Science Monitor]], not [Christian Science [Monitor]]. In any case the way of presenting the findings comes directly from the abstract in Science.

Thus, two and a half centuries of forest management in Europe have not cooled the climate. The political imperative to mitigate climate change through afforestation and forest management therefore risks failure, unless it is recognized that not all forestry contributes to climate change mitigation.

The thing is, at least around here that is very much recognized. "Planting trees" doesn't mean "creating farm forests" but "planting diverse species of trees and letting a natural ecosystem develop around them." (Including some other support, like artificially reintroducing meandering streams and wilder species of e.g. sheep or cattle.) Old pine forests grown for when we still used humongous quantities of wood for ship building have been purposefully converted from a monoculture into varied, more natural forests over the past 20 years. Precisely for all the problems they caused even without taking any heat or CO2 into account, not to mention that they were just plain boring. But is there seriously anyone out there who thinks that "planting trees" means creating a monoculture of any species of tree, pine or otherwise?

Reply #215
But is there seriously anyone out there who thinks that "planting trees" means creating a monoculture of any species of tree, pine or otherwise?

You can't create nature. So you "create" pine, eucalyptus, monoculture. You can't create simbioses. You can't create gorgeous women.

That's a false question, the real question is if it is better to plant monoculture or doing nothing in the desert we created. Because that's the only thing today's men are able to create, devastation.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #216
There's been a dearth of bad news…? :)

But here's something: (shamelessly copied from Slashdot!)
For those of you who have traveled through U.S. airports in recent years, you may have noticed the Transport Security Administration (TSA) use a Randomizer app to randomly search travelers in the Pre-Check lane. The app randomly chooses whether travelers go left or right in the Pre-Check lane so they can't predict which lane each person is assigned to and can't figure out how to avoid the random checks. Developer Kevin Burke submitted a Freedom of Information Act request asking for details about the app. The documents he received reveals the TSA purchased the Randomizer iPad app for $336,413.59. That's $336,413.59 for an app, which is incredibly simple to make as most programming languages of choice have a randomizing function available to use. What may be even more intriguing is that the contract for the TSA Randomizer app was won by IBM. The total amount paid for the project is actually $1.4 million, but the cost is not broken down in Burke's documents. It's possible IBM supplied all the iPads and training in addition to the app itself.
Putting my two cents worth in, two TSA agents could do the same thing, by flipping a coin. :)
Government — gone crazy!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #217
Putting my two cents worth in, two TSA agents could do the same thing, by flipping a coin.

Let a Las Vegan instruct you for a moment. You can actually manipulate which side of the coin will land facing up pretty easily. Although changing changing how you flip isn't a hundred percent guaranteed, you can tilt the odds of winning the coin toss in your favor :) However, some Slashdoters noted that all the terrorists would have to do is send a few of their guys in a row. One might get caught, but you'll still get at least one of your boys on the plane. However, I wonder if the TSA would then proceed to search all passengers for that flight just in case. Another way would be to detonate a bomb in the check-in line, killing people and shutting down the airport before screening. A terrorist would have to be blinded by ideology and hatred for "the west" to not think of these things.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #218
Yes, coin flips can be gamed, and somebody will have to flip the coin. So in addition to this coin flip operative, you would need a coin flip manager, to manage fair flippings by the operative, as well as a randomly-assigned coin flip supervisor to discover any collusion between the coin flip operative and the coin flip manager. Randomly assigned by a coin flip, no doubt. You got off practically for free.

I had to check those pre-check checks, we don't have them here in Eurasia. On the other hand there is IIRC an 1 in 10 chance of the machine going "ping" even if you carry nothing to trigger it, just to keep us on our toes.

Reply #220
Yes, it works. It is less dramatic and deadly than getting the bomb detonated in a plane, two bombers killed themselves and 15 victims, but massive press and disruption.

Reply #221
I suspect they could've easily had more than 15 victims if it hadn't been a hastily executed revenge plot for the arrest of Abdeslam. Even so, the airport was out of business for weeks, including during Easter, perhaps the busiest period of the year.

Here are some of their tweets today:
As of today, flights are also leaving from/arriving at gates B: this means the situation is back to normal for all arriving passengers.

Today, we're welcoming another 20 airlines back to #brusselsairport. Check your flight info

While 3 days ago they suggested you walk over to the train station in the nearby village (after which the airport takes its colloquial name, Zaventem)…

@elf2487 You can walk to Zaventem train station, it's +- 25 minutes from the airport. *SA

Reply #222
Trains are good for extra resilience when airports are out of action due to terrorists or Icelandic volcanos decide to blow themselves up.  Then again it isn't so hard to disrupt the train system either.

The most vulnerable subsystem is probably still the electrical network. The limited redundancy is offset by unintended feedback loops, as has happened in Europe, North America and Japan after the tsunami. Not so interesting or feasible for lesser outfits like ISIL, but if you can cripple the network you have in practice crippled the country.

Reply #223
Trains are good for extra resilience when airports are out of action due to terrorists or Icelandic volcanos decide to blow themselves up.  Then again it isn't so hard to disrupt the train system either.

Well, I meant in lieu of any buses or trains from the airport. Probably should've specified. ;)

Reply #224
Tennessee thought it was necessary to pass a bill that would allow mental health counselors  turn away clients for “sincerely held principles.” This is just embarrassing. What therapist really wants to turn away clients for being gay, Muslim, or whatever else ridiculous reason? At this point, the GOPers are just low and spiteful are the ones in need of therapy. My theory is that somewhere in the Republicans' rottening brains, they know laws allowing country clerks denying marriage certificates to people that can get legally married won't stand, so they're resorting to this stupidity. Frankly, if a mental health counselor is really doing this (and that's a big theoretical) they need their professional organizations to revoke their licenses, especially in light of the frightening LGBT teen suicide statistics.  
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal