Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 257095 times)

Re: What's Going on in Europe

Reply #225

Do you know who was the fiercest defender of Europe against the Ottoman Empire? Vlad, the Impaler.
Exactly, Vlad Tepes, the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Count Dracula.
A Romanian hero.

Only had to do it after the Byzantine Empire finally fell. They spent most of their existence ( as a separate state ) fighting off ( and slowly but steadily losing to ) invaders from central asia. Would probably have held out a little longer if the Europeans hadn't screwed them over.

Reply #226
This seems to be going on in Europe:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDqayC1sR7g[/video]

Reply #228
Eurovision Song Contest: Australia to compete in 2015
"It's a daring and at the same time incredibly exciting move. It is our way of saying let's celebrate this party together!" contest supervisor Jon Ola Sand said. Australia will be fast-tracked to the final, which will take place in Vienna, Austria, on 23 May.

Reply #229
That opens up for a new definition of Europe.

When will Australia join the EU? What about a name change to avoid confusion with Austria?

I also notice from the map that the Vatican State has never entered the European Song Contest.

Reply #230

They'll have to reduce size to fit in. Maybe be represented by a dwarf pop singer.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #231

When will Australia join the EU? What about a name change to avoid confusion with Austria?

In Russian, the names of Sweden and Switzerland are so close that people mix them up. What do you propose should be done about it?

I also notice from the map that the Vatican State has never entered the European Song Contest.

Vatican only has old songs that don't qualify. Eurovision wants fresh songs.

Reply #232

Absolutely. One of our former Secretary of Defense already told us that we are defending Germany at the Hindu Kush.

Another one missing is the organized crime, which got its own state - the Republic of Kosovo.

Reply #233
It's best to keep it geographical. Australia does not belong to Europe by any stretch of imagination.  Neither do Israel and Turkey. We already have Greece and that's quite enough. Israel and Turkey should participate in Arabvision, and Australia in whatever they have there.

Reply #234
Australia in whatever they have there.

They have nothing but Kangurus, colorful parrots and tt92. Ahh and sharks that eats surfers, but I agree, Europe is not prepared to receive Australians.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #235
Don't be unkind. The Australian oddities who would deign to perform in Eurovision would fit in perfectly, God help them.

Reply #236

Another one missing is the organized crime, which got its own state - the Republic of Kosovo.

There's a difference between these syndicates, the Vatican is eligible but hasn't participated, while Kosovo is ineligible, because the Vatican has a European Broadcasting Union member, Vatican Radio, while Kosovo's (RTK) and Liechtenstein's (1FLTV) applications are in the mail. This is a map of EBU members:

Only broadcasters in darker blue countries are active members. To be eligible for an active membership they have to be in a country that is either in the Council of Europe or inside the European Broadcasting Area.

The EBA, countries fully or partially in the red area, could be seen one possible future extent of the EU. In that case Saudi Arabia might become an EU member, but not Qatar.

Reply #237
I propose that now on the entire earth to be called European Union.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #239
Do you live in French Guiana?
So nice, French colonization seems to be attractive until these days. Do they still have the guillotine?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #240
Think they got rid of that barbarity some time ago.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #245
This video demonstrates what it's like to be a Jew in Paris.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltyhmrIFgo[/video]

Reply #246
A little more extensively Swedish Uppdrag granskning made a pair of programs a couple weeks ago, one about hatred against Jews (mostly in Malmö), and one about hatred against Muslim (much in my new home town in Södertälje).

Program 1: Hatred against Jews
[video]http://youtu.be/9cFYmhQMks8[/video]

Program 2: Hatred against Muslims
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQ5j516ias[/video]

Reply #247
Speaking of which, of sorts, there is an obituary, of sorts, of the Copenhagen copy-cat killer. Not found in English, but here in a Google translation of a Norwegian translation from Danish, an ode to a waste of life.

Reply #249
I can listen to Europe.