Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 257028 times)

Re: What's Going on in Europe

Reply #200
"That's not all" was my initial reaction as well. But the article and map are more specific than the headline, it's a map of the hopefuls that have joined the union, that is European Free Alliance. There are non-unionised separatists as well, and European separatists fully or partially outside the EU.

Reply #201
There are separatists and there are separatists.
Separatists since ever and separatists just since a couple days ago, those less one percent  and those that represents considerable percentages, peaceful and violent, activists and non activists, serious and just funny, constant and occasional, organized and unorganized, more cultural sided and more political sided, wanting independence and wanting autonomy, suffering repression and those being tolerated, etc, etc.

Being separatist offers people identity and a cause something that most European nations can't offer anymore.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #203
Seems that either the EEC is a financial waste of time after what has happened to several countries and very much including Portugal. It is their that or they are incapable in Lisbon. Bet there are some older folks who sigh at the passing of Dr Salazar.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #205
Very clever my Portuguese associate...........would make a great dancer!

Reply #206
I don't know about British puddings made of stale bread, white or otherwise, but I'm quite sure Americans love what they call French toast (pain perdu in French). Bread pudding should be based on a similar principle by soaking it into e.g. milk and/or egg (or alcohol). In fact these kind of things tend to work better with stale bread.

Edit: typo

Reply #207
Well we have French toast here in Gt Britain too my dear man.  8)

Reply #208
Of course Americans make it much better, since Brits don't know how to cook. Of course, Las Vegans make French Toast 23.72% better than anyone else in the world. The exception is The Peppermill, where they make it 29.59% better :yes:

Reply #210
Ex-colonists are better at cooking? hhhm, wonder why the fill burger places so much?  :o

Reply #211
This thread has a shortage of maps. Here are "38 maps that explain Europe", to a large extent also sourced from the Imgur-Reddit complex, so some maps would be familiar.

I believe Ethiopia escaped European control as well, so the map isn't complete.

Not that Europe has been immune either, this is a mpa over the the last time each European country was occupied. I wouldn't see UK as exempt like the map maker did, as the entity UK was created after the last occupation (notably in 1066), but if entities were used many other entries would be "none" as well, e.g. Germany or the Czech Republic.

I was mildly miffed by this map that arbitrarily cut off the map just below Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki and other medium-sized airports. Gardermoen (Oslo) and Arlanda (Stockholm) have almost exactly the same number of passengers as Kastrup (Copenhagen)

Reply #212
I believe Ethiopia escaped European control as well, so the map isn't complete.

Define Europe. In the other topic you shared a link to the map below… ;) To be fair, that would probably also pull Turkey into complete European control through the Greek/Roman/Byzanthine empires. Same for Iran.

Not that Europe has been immune either, this is a mpa over the the last time each European country was occupied. I wouldn't see UK as exempt like the map maker did, as the entity UK was created after the last occupation (notably in 1066), but if entities were used many other entries would be "none" as well, e.g. Germany or the Czech Republic.

It also depends on how you define occupied.

Reply #213
the last time each European country was occupied.

It's not true that Portugal was occupied by Napoleon.
D. João VI just moved the capital from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro, so Napoleon could only occupy our "European Province". :)
Not too many can say they had colonies in Europe... Besides us, I can only remember the Carthaginians.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #214
Not too many can say they had colonies in Europe... Besides us, I can only remember the Carthaginians.

I thought England was a colony of Normandy. But perhaps more to the point, France and Italy were stock full of Greek colonies back then. :P

Reply #215
Ok, you won Frenzie :)
I wanted to mean someone out of Europe having colonies here. Remember anyone besides Carthago? ah, and Phoenicians.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #216

I thought England was a colony of Normandy. But perhaps more to the point, France and Italy were stock full of Greek colonies back then. :P

Most of the roman empire. ( where do you think the name Cologne comes from? )
Also, this. The various viking states in Britain, Normandy, Ireland, Russia etc., I'm sure there's more.

Reply #217
Vikings are Europeans. Well, more or less.

We even married one of our princesses with a viking king at the eleventh century. They liked her very much, she was mother of three different kings, not an usual thing. The second brother killed the older one and the third killed the second.
Queen Brunhilda I suppose they called her. (it was normal at the time to change a princess name for something more accordingly local costumes and language)

Petit Histoire it's always important. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #218
I wanted to mean someone out of Europe having colonies here. Remember anyone besides Carthago? ah, and Phoenicians.

Didn't the Huns turn about half of Europe into a giant colony (a bit like the Roman Empire)?

Reply #219

Didn't the Huns turn about half of Europe into a giant colony (a bit like the Roman Empire)?
Huns were of mixed origins, only partly from Asia. Mongols did some temporary conquests. But Turks still keep Constantinople (the old town is on the European side) and its surroundings captive. And Northern Cyprus.

Reply #220

Yes... Attila...
Well, Attila conquests didn't survive his life, their sons starting wars between each other and lose everything their father conquered.
We can't speak about the maintenance of colonies in Europe by the Huns.

Of course, there's the Moors with the occupation of the Iberian Peninsula for so long, and that was something extraordinary that gave the Iberian populations a sagesse, culture and philosophy that can't be found anywhere else in Europe, but I don't want to speak about those ones.

Better to change the subject...  :right:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #221
But Turks still keep Constantinople (the old town is on the European side) and its surroundings captive.

That's very true but Turks are a very special kind of Otomans.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #222
Sorry for posting so consecutively, something that I don't like, but something just come to my mind when I mentioned the Ottomans.

Do you know who was the fiercest defender of Europe against the Ottoman Empire? Vlad, the Impaler.
Exactly, Vlad Tepes, the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Count Dracula.
A Romanian hero.

When everything was lost he just ordered to impale his own entire population at the "forest of the impaled". When the Ottoman Sultan saw such an horrendous spectacle he just retired horrorized and Vlad Tepes defended the entire Europe with the sacrifice of his own people.

The soon they could, Europeans leaders jailed him for life, where he died. He was a dangerous man...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #223

Vikings are Europeans. Well, more or less.

Argh, somehow I missed the out of Europe part. Leaves the various Mongolian Khanates in eastern Europe. Spain under the Moors comes to mind as well, at least early on.

Reply #224

Well, Attila conquests didn't survive his life, their sons starting wars between each other and lose everything their father conquered.

They managed to hold on to some smallish part :right:

We can't speak about the maintenance of colonies in Europe by the Huns.

Yeah, colonies imply an organized state somewhere else which the Huns didn't really have.
One could make a similar case with Bulgaria - they also originally came from central asia, started a couple of states along the way ( Volga Bulgaria and such ), then settled down and got assimilated in the Balkans.