Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 169515 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #225
The thing with Chropera's net installer is that it's a device to facilitate downloading a stillborn product. Is the net installer really making anything better about the product itself? This is the first point against it.

The second point against it that it's dowsn't fulfil its stated purpose. The alleged purpose is this: "Opera, being popular in developing and low-bandwidth markets, have seen frequent failed installations due to network and other problems." How is this supposed to help against network problems or low bandwdith? Only a solid download manager of the full installer would help. The Opera net installer is just a downloader for one single program. Worthless.

Also: "The new installer will retry downloads if there are problems, ensure the latest version is always the one installed, and enhance security of the installation process." So, it is yet another update-enforcer, adding to net activity, calling home whenever possible, etc? Not just worthless, but outright dangerous.

Reply #226
Also: "The new installer will retry downloads if there are problems, ensure the latest version is always the one installed, and enhance security of the installation process." So, it is yet another update-enforcer, adding to net activity, calling home whenever possible, etc? Not just worthless, but outright dangerous.

Reply #227
I'm sorry. Carry on.

Reply #228
Intentionally divided? By whose intention?

Reply #229
Is Opera Mediaworks the reason that Opera has moved the browser to a lower priority?
Industrial Engineer, Restauranteur, Graphic Designer, Shareware Author and Genealogist.  Computer user since 1977.
Custom desktop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 3tb drive total, 1mb Nvidia & Dell XPS-17 laptop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 512gb SSD, 1tb WD drive.

Reply #230
Among one of the reasons, certainly. Change of business interests. Important reason.

Reply #232
Is Opera Mediaworks the reason that Opera has moved the browser to a lower priority?

Surely it is more shiny. It has been fairly successful, the browser much less so.

Reply #234
Well, my question is not exactly about what's happening with Opera but about what happened.

Where do I get older versions, Opera 12 for example, to install? I needed it because computers crashes definitively and I want to use what I had not what they offer now.
Thank you.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #236
Obrigado. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #238
Or from here: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/

Reply #239

If you want a portable version (either for USB or for a local file folder) try here   Opera 12.16 Portable

Except an extra loader, what is the difference between the portable from PortableApps and the native installer (with the USB option checked)?

Reply #240
Except an extra loader, what is the difference between the portable from PortableApps and the native installer (with the USB option checked)?

Why not install it, & see it first-hand for yourself.

Reply #242

Or from here: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/

You have a greater selection here: http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/

Do you? :)

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/ <=> ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/
That should be something trivial (at least for you ;) ).
However I gave the second link exactly for the reason to not confuse our Portuguese friend. I bet he is on Windows anyway ;)

Reply #244
However I gave the second link exactly for the reason to not confuse our Portuguese friend. I bet he is on Windows anyway

I inform you, Suevian friend, that I'm right in the process of invading Linux land.
My entrance will be memorable and my dominance over the poor linuxers ruthless. :)

Already posting with Opera 12.16 again, thank you.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #245

My entrance will be memorable and my dominance over the poor linuxers ruthless. :)

You mean linuxistas? :D

Keep in mind Bel, there are also people migrating from Linux to Windows :)
The Review

Reply #248
Linucks?