Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 169472 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #150
ׂ

Reply #151
Opera kept history admirably up until around 2006-ish (there was, and I believe is, a hard 50 page limit in history, but that was usually not a problem). This was then softened because AJAX sites, as they were called around then, often were in an untenable state, e.g. with submenus open or worse. The competitors promptly forgot them, so this was seen as a bug in Opera. A compromise heuristic was worked out where pages were reloaded  if they were sufficiently AJAXy, Unfortunately that triggers bug 155102, in other words data loss.

Reply #152
There's also the matter of crashes. They're veritably rare, but when it happens my UserJS will probably save the day.

But yes, AJAXy nonsense unfortunately forced Opera to handicap one of its primary attractions.

Reply #153
Today I received another email from Opera about the blogs being discontinued.
The explosion of these sites and the amount of resources we need to maintain our own service has changed our outlook on My Opera. We had a good run for many years, but we believe your content could have a better home elsewhere, so we have made the decision to shut down My Opera as of March 1, 2014.

Maybe later we will see this one in the future.
The explosion of blink based browsers and the amount of resources we need to maintain our Opera Browser has changed our outlook at Opera Software ASA. We had a good run for many years, but we believe your browsing could be better served elsewhere, so we have made the decision to shut down Opera as of January 1, 2015.
Industrial Engineer, Restauranteur, Graphic Designer, Shareware Author and Genealogist.  Computer user since 1977.
Custom desktop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 3tb drive total, 1mb Nvidia & Dell XPS-17 laptop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 512gb SSD, 1tb WD drive.

Reply #154
The explosion of blink based browsers and the amount of resources we need to maintain our Opera Browser has changed our outlook at Opera Software ASA. We had a good run for many years, but we believe your browsing could be better served elsewhere, so we have made the decision to shut down Opera as of January 1, 2015.

OM[glow=red,2,300]G[/glow]!!!

Reply #155
It's a little bit "funny" I suppose, but one of the users more than anything else made me decide I had had enough. The expressed attitude by this character who I will not name at this time was so toxic that, if his viewpoint was at all shared by the higher-ups at ASA, it would make the decision to leave and never look back an easy one. Funny thing is, he's been cheering the changes being made as if turning the browser into a Facebook app and closing the community was the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe for some people it is, and for the rest of us-- maybe it IS time to leave and not look back.

Disengaging from MyOpera in 3--2---1.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #156
.......Funny thing is, he's been cheering the changes being made as if turning the browser into a Facebook app and closing the community was the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe for some people it is, and for the rest of us-- maybe it IS time to leave and not look back.

Well, Mike I honestly feel for those that feel the same as you.

I know you weren't talking about me, but know this, I may make jokes about this or that.....sometimes though it's only outward, whereas inside I'm churning to a boil.

My sarcastic humor is my outlet, a way to 'open the relief valve' so to speak, rather than letting it escalate internally until explosion becomes inevitable.

I don't need any more Myocardial Infarctions.

What I will say is simply this. You enjoy the forums. You wish they could continue. MyOpera has decided...books closed...so the only way to continue enjoying the forums is to go to another forum with hopefully some like minded souls.

This forum ---- DnD ---- has the chance to be where those like minded souls might find some bliss.

That is if, [glow=red,2,300]& only if,[/glow] DnD catches on & gets the type of membership capable in supporting it, & the fellowship that goes with it.

If you come to see it the same, then may I suggest you take a moment & read this.......the few minutes you spend reading & following up as it suggests may make the difference in what will be the future.

In closing Mike....never feel alone.....cuz you most definitely ain't!!!

Reply #157

maybe it IS time to leave and not look back.

I've effectively done that. For the last few months I had little time for anything so I didn't look at my.opera much at all, then a few of us started to look at forum software. I didn't go back ever since.

Reply #158
I shudna dun it. I really shudna dun it.

I just casually glanced at the post count. Smiley, this site hasn't been up a month and you already have 1200 posts?? You must live in Franz' basement and do little else but post here.

On the opposite end, my count may well be one of the smallest of the members here from near the beginning, I've been spreading myself a little thin and also I generally only reply to threads that really interest me. So, that accounts for the low counts.

While I'm here at the moment: Smiley, you're right, it wasn't you that got my goat this last time. I don't recall you posting replies to that letter that started us on this track, in fact. It was someone else.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #159
The expressed attitude by this character who I will not name

You don't need to, I think most of us can guess who you are on about.  ;) 
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #160
ׂ

Reply #161
Parrot guy?

Reply #162
ׂ

Reply #163
Oh, yeah. It might be interesting to search for his 'nym (and previous banned ones, although I forget what they were) in combination with terms like "Chrome" or "Chromium," because I'm pretty sure you'd see him deriding many things about it.

Actually, we can still do that:
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=9730232
Quote from: Chirpie
Quote from: hoang_royal_ir
Fully support HTML5. At the moment, I just see that only Google Chrome is having the HTML5 full support. :(

Chrome does not have full HTML5 support. Opera's HTML5 support is excellent as well. It doesn't make sense for you to make this request.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=9476872
Quote from: inrisk
If you can read, I do state 'This is what I see on all my browsers'.

You posted a screenshot of Chrome. In an Opera forum.

Not only is this incredibly rude, but Opera's error messages are generally much more informative than Chrome's.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=11790702
Quote from: mcaleck
How come Opera is doing so badly in the V8 Benchmark Suite test?

It isn't. The V8 benchmark was designed to make Chrome look good and ignores the things Chrome it slow at. It's useless.

It will be somewhat harder to find those replies stating the exact opposite about Chropera. Anyone up for it? :P

Reply #164

Oh, yeah. It might be interesting to search for his 'nym (and previous banned ones, although I forget what they were) ...

Poordie and Poor Richard :)
(or something like that)

Reply #165
Opera fanbois annoyed me. They never were more than a handful but they always were a handful. Opera fans in general have often been very knowledgeable and resourceful, and more often than not helpful. Fanbois are none of the above.

Users whose entire contribution were either reiterating that Opera was shit or that Opera was the shit, made no contribution at all, only repelled those who could have done so. The first group was handled by the troll clause, but I would have liked there to be a fanboi clause as well. The hope would be that the fanboi would eventually grow up and use their considerable energy for good, but I don't think they ever did, they just passed away to find some other cause to fanboi.

Since the fanbois were the loudest fans, I think they considered themselves and were considered by others the strongest fans, but they didn't consider what we were employed to consider, how could we make Opera better (or in many cases less horrible) than it was. Other fans had many worthwhile (and many, many more worthless) suggestions that were as a rule ignored. The fanbois added insult to injury.

Reply #166
Apparently someone started a project to replicate the Opera UI, although I don't know whether they'll actually be replicating those parts I consider most important: http://otter-browser.org/

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=15069532
Quote from: woj-tek
OK, this will be spammy but hey - forums will be closed soon anyhow and I think it's very relevant / interesting... http://otter-browser.org/ - basically a project aiming to mimic Opera 12.x UI and functions. It's still in early stages (AFAIKR alpha 1 binaries will be released tomorrow), it's based on Qt5 with (currently) WebKit as rendering engine (author mentions Blink in the feature, possibly other?). From the looks of the screenshots it looks promissing - basically what Opera promised - an old Opera 12 UI with webkit/blink engine underneath.

I glanced at the changelog and one feature is making me excited without even having seen it:
0.1.01 (01.01.2014):
[…]
- implemented tab detaching;

Opera hasn't had proper tab detaching anymore since, what, 9.2? But of course I'll have to try it to know exactly what the author meant.

Reply #167
Another thing worth keeping an eye on related to developments with Opera in the broader sense: Vivaldi.net

Set up apparently by the former CEO of Opera ASA, among others, Vivaldi.net has gathered quickly far more popularity than our little haven here. The site has more services. In addition to forums, it also offers email and a blogging platform.

On the other hand, its Debates and Discussions section lacks heart and membership.

Reply #171
Vivaldi.net
Set up apparently by the former CEO of Opera ASA

Possibly a concept that can be used to attract members here.......I propose selling The DnD Sanctuary utilizing it's strength.....DnD is run by the users, & are free from Corporate conflicts of interest & stupidity, which is what caused OPERA to shed us all in the first place.....The DnD Sanctuary Forums  will never sell the users out -- as OPERA did -- because of selfish & inconsistent corporate interests, simply because DnD is run by it's users, & not some scumbag CEO!!!

Reply #172
From my perspective, that argument doesn't really work. He stepped down as CEO in 2010, and in 2011, this is how he resigned from Opera completely (according to Wikipedia):

Quote from: Jon
Dear All,

It is with a heavy heart that I send this message. Next week will be my last at Opera. It has become clear that The Board, Management and I do not share the same values and we do not have the same opinions on how to keep evolving Opera. As a result I have come to an agreement with the Board to end my time at Opera. I feel the Board and Management is more quarterly focused than me. I have always worked to build the company for the future. I believe the foundation we have is very solid to build further upon.

I do believe strongly in Opera as a company, and in all of you working here. Our products actually make a difference for a lot of people in the world, and I wish you all the best of luck moving forward. I will be following the company closely and rooting for you all.

Yours truly, Jon.

These differences of opinion with the board seem to point to the difference between the Opera that I liked and the Opera that made an increasing amount of decisions I don't much understand or care for—including the killing of My Opera. I suspect my sentiment might be shared by many (My) Opera users.

Also note that e.g. Hallvord left Opera because he already knew about the decision to kill My Opera.

Reply #174
Josh, what are you using? From your description, I'm guessing you're using a 56K modem and an old browser of unknown descriptions. Vivaldi isn't that slow.