Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 169507 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #125
Must be Stockholm syndrome...

I agree. It's more like it's finally approaching early alpha stage. Perhaps they'll have a near-usable beta out sometime in 2015…

Quote from: Kimmo Alm
And maybe install Firefox, before they ruin that completely as well.

Yeah… too late, bro. :(

Reply #126
ׂ

Reply #127
I felt like praising the team for doing something right.

I pose that it'd take a true genius to make a change from Chromium and have it end up for the worse.
I used Opera since version 7, and it indeed kept changing the UI even then for no good reason. When I got accustomed to the theme being blue, it was turned black in Opera 10.

I thought the default UI reached its peek sometime around 7.5.

Reply #128
I have a suspicion Opera might be made into a textbook on how not to do things. Trashing the browser and getting rid of much of the community can't help but make for rough sledding, if not the outright ending, of the browser and the company.

Leushino's constant commenting that spam is the reason for dumping the community doesn't wash in light of the fact that other companies deal with the spam problem without throwing up their hands and closing shop. That, as much as anything, makes me think we're not looking at a high-tech leader half so much as we're looking at guys messing around in their garage on their hobby. Get an idea they think is cool, put it together for an upgrade cycle, get bored with it and dump it within two upgrade cycles--- that's the way to make a browser power users would want to use, eh?
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #129

I have a suspicion Opera might be made into a textbook on how not to do things. Trashing the browser and getting rid of much of the community can't help but make for rough sledding, if not the outright ending, of the browser and the company.

Sounds like the bean counters took over :/

Leushino's constant commenting that spam is the reason for dumping the community doesn't wash in light of the fact that other companies deal with the spam problem without throwing up their hands and closing shop.

Bullshit. Appoint a few more moderators to clean up the crap. It's not like the spam doesn't get reported or that there's a lack of people who would do the cleanup if allowed to.

That, as much as anything, makes me think we're not looking at a high-tech leader half so much as we're looking at guys messing around in their garage on their hobby. Get an idea they think is cool, put it together for an upgrade cycle, get bored with it and dump it within two upgrade cycles--- that's the way to make a browser power users would want to use, eh?

Or the new boss is just wildly cutting costs without much regard for anything.

Reply #130
ׂ

Reply #131
I believe you might be able to make them permanent in one of the JSON config files. Of course that's made easy through the abundance of documentation available…

Reply #132

the highly questionable default user interface setups and looks (that kept changing all the time)
I used Opera since version 7, and it indeed kept changing the UI even then for no good reason. When I got accustomed to the theme being blue, it was turned black in Opera 10.
I somewhat avoided this particular trouble by creating my own interface. I created my own toolbar, menus, and keyboard shortcuts files and moved them from one version to next as I upgraded. This way I could keep pretty much the same custom interface across versions.

Of course I agree that it's wrong in principle to introduce new defaults and force them on users with upgrade. Opera did something like this with pretty much every major version, but it was possible to live with it because until v.11 Opera was generally adding features, not removing them. V.12 is just broken 11, and the Blink versions are just Chrome/ium skin, a different product that should have a different name too, for clarity and honesty.

Other textbook cases that can be readily cited are Netscape and Nokia.

Reply #133
I somewhat avoided this particular trouble by creating my own interface. I created my own toolbar, menus, and keyboard shortcuts files and moved them from one version to next as I upgraded. This way I could keep pretty much the same custom interface across versions.

I've been using the same interface since Opera 8.x. The massive changes from 7.5 to 8 convinced me of the necessity of doing so. Occasionally I added new features (such as deselect with Esc, or DragonFly), but for 10.50 I had to convert some of my toolbar.ini to the new format.

Reply #134
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=15032132
Quote from: Pesala
“Awesome” would be my choice, but I still need a shortcut to toggle it off/on like in Opera 11.64, to save space when not using it. Otherwise, it is already significantly better than the Bookmarks Bar in Opera 11.64. Note that the Quick Access Bar has already been renamed back to the “Bookmarks Bar” in Opera 19-20.

Pesala's apparently happy with the bookmarks bar. I'll include my reply:

Quote from: Frenzie
Quote from: Pesala
Otherwise, it is already significantly better than the Bookmarks Bar in Opera 11.64.

Off the top of my mind, I can think of a few ways in which it's better than the bookmarks bar in Opera 11.64:

- no (visible) access keys
- no ability to open all in folder without right-click
- no images only
- no text only
(-no text under image)
- no ability to put the toolbar on the bottom

Sarcasm aside, you can sort things in folders now, but I'm not at all convinced that's a desired feature—at least not without a lock feature.

I'm glad it's working for you, but it's not better by any stretch of the imagination. It's nowhere near old Opera, let alone Firefox. It's (minutely) better than the bookmarks bar in Chromium.

Reply #135
When the monk joins this "Sanctuary", maybe Ill consider the monk's existence.
Until then the monk is invisible.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #136
Ruari posted a little on Chropera's Ctrl+Tab: http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2013/12/14/last-active-tab-with-all-keyboard-layouts

Quote from: ruari
From Opera 15 onwards Ctrl+Tab switches between tabs in the order they are in the tab bar. This is different from older Opera versions and was changed because, for many people, this is more intuitive (since it is easier to predict the order).

I happen to disagree. :P

Quote from: Frenzie
Or every user of just about every mainstream and semi-mainstream window manager out there. :right: (Except perhaps Mac and Unity users might expect Ctrl+Tab to switch between domains and Ctrl+` to switch between pages on the same domain or some such.) I have always found this behavior extremely intuitive ever since learning about Alt+Tab in Windows 3.11, because paper documents on my wooden desk stack in the exact same manner.

Reply #137
I tried to make a joke about it on the forums, but I actually think it's a serious case - again. Some of these alleged autobans just don't smell right. If autoban is really so trigger happy, then why, for example, am I still a member?

You're probably grandfathered in.

Don't blame on malice what you can blame on badly configured software. I can read those threads, they are not particularly embarrassing.

Reply #138
ׂ

Reply #139
Sometimes it can take a while for the cache to change.

Reply #140

Don't blame on malice what you can blame on badly configured software. I can read those threads, they are not particularly embarrassing.
I honestly am doing my best to place the blame rightly. In my defence, software doesn't configure itself, does it?

Reply #141
The forum system is filled with gremlins, there is a reason why they have tried to rewrite it for half a decade. I was sceptical to the "Eek! It is written in Perl (+SQL+XSLT). Let's rewrite it from scratch in Python!" approach, but it is too bad it didn't work out, that's after all the reason we are here. My Opera has occasional synchronisation issues, less nowadays, but that is the new normal. Try Facebook for a system that really suffers from it.

Reply #142
Regarding your point 1, I always wonder how a user can become more advanced if everything's hidden. Windows Vista and up hide the menu bar, so the file associations feature might be hard to find.

I argued for discoverability, the system starts out simple and as you use it you discover new possibilities that you can take advantage of or ignore. Over time the system will adapt to your needs. There is a great number of hurdles to overcome to manage this well, but Opera was in a position where they could actually pull this off, since many of these hurdles had already been passed more or less successfully to handle other problems.

I used to describe Opera as a configuration engine that could read web pages.

Reply #143
I argued for discoverability, the system starts out simple and as you use it you discover new possibilities that you can take advantage of or ignore.
Discoverability as in "Hey, you just made a mouse gesture! Let's do it again! (Or ignore henceforth)" ?

Reply #144
In a manner of speaking. Now, I don't consider that the epitome of usability.

• User makes a spastic move, e.g. grabbing the mouse whilst falling off the chair

• Opera chirping: I saw that you made a mouse gesture. Repeat your action next time you want to clone a tab!

But the mouse gestures were discoverable. The reason was that Trond, the designer of mouse gestures, also was in the group shaping the UI. Other features were actively non-discoverable. A modal dialog box for each feature "discovered" while in the process of doing something else, like trying to avoid breaking a bone, would be a horrible UI. There are better ways of doing this.

Reply #145
Are you talking about the relatively new popup that shows up after a sustained mouse click or about something further back?

Reply #146
ׂ

Reply #147
Are you talking about the relatively new popup that shows up after a sustained mouse click or about something further back?

I was thinking of the original dialog box, it became  smoother as time went on and version numbers up IIRC. I have no clue what is being done now, haven't had a clean install in years. The point was that unless you were reinstalling a system or something similar, you would not intentionally make a mouse gesture the first time around you triggered that dialog. Basically you got a tool tip at a fairly random point in your browsing history telling users about this great new feature.

Reply #148
In Opera, I ended up losing my text input (if the page was too complex for Opera to save forms), because I had pressed Back without going anywhere near the Back button. Apart from gestures, which I was warned about, I had absolutely no idea how I did that to avoid doing it again. I later learned that one of the features was "rocker" sequences of input. I killed those but I still acidentally go back every now and then.

That is my pet hate in Opera, and by extension every other browser (going back and forward in Opera is still more side-effect free, as it should be according to HTTP, than other browsers), you shall not unintentionally lose data in form controls, crucially in text areas, under no circumstances.

I see that I made this blog post exactly 5 years ago today, half a year after I had quit. 155102: Losing data with Firefox 3 and Opera 10 Alpha. This bug report, soon to celebrate its 10 year anniversary, and the Core bug that replaced it, was one of the most "popular" ones internally, but somehow never ended up fixed.

Reply #149
Basically you got a tool tip at a fairly random point in your browsing history telling users about this great new feature.
Yeah, that's how I found out about it. But it was a somewhat puzzling "You performed a mouse gesture for the first time. Enable mouse gestures?" kind of dialog.

Losing textarea data—that's why I wrote https://github.com/Frenzie/textarea-backup (Or originally adapted from a GM script, but it changed a lot since then.)