Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 169508 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #300
ׂ

Reply #302
ׂ

Reply #303
Wonder how do they make money with Gravatars. Sharing email adresses with advertisers or whomsoever?
However, a nice way to track users :)

Itching an ear with Opera

Reply #304
I'm not ready to start a thread on it -- I've got a "glitch" with my 11.63 "notsorussian edition". Downloading stream files from this site/page in Chrome doesn't make any difficulties: the files get runnable and their properties are fully adjustable. But, having tried "the same procedure" in Opera, I got files (the icons looking ok) whose properties are cut and unusable and which themselves seemed not running at all (I tried choosing other applications during the dowloading process, but that seems not to affect anything in question).
NB. In Google, clicking opens a WMP in browser, then I CtrS it and save it. In Opera - it works as you could already get how it works. I didn't try "open with" or "open" instead of "save" though...

Reply #306
Gravatar is been around for a while, but now it's intruding into my forums.

It's because Vanilla is a "Web 2.0" forum to the bones, while this one merely incorporates some XMLHTTPRequests here and there to improve the experience.

"Web 2.0" tends to be harmful to the experience.

Reply #308

The new Opera forums are getting spammed. I understood that the main reason why they were made was because anti-spam tools were too difficult to incorporate into My Opera. The new system isn't working that well for them either.

They won't find a speck of sympathy in this heart! Serves 'em right the crusty ole bastards, may they stew in their own swill!!! 

Reply #309

The new Opera forums are getting spammed. I understood that the main reason why they were made was because anti-spam tools were too difficult to incorporate into My Opera. The new system isn't working that well for them either.

They won't find a speck of sympathy in this heart! Serves 'em right the crusty ole bastards, may they stew in their own swill!!!

Well put!

Reply #310

http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/03/02/linux-and-blink-powered-opera/
Quote from: ruario
I am really sorry it is taking so long!

His claim is that since there are Linux users among Opera workers - even the CEO is that - there's hope. But in this crazy world of ours, this is not an argument any more. For example, the founder of Gentoo distro has always used a Macbook to do "real" work, and has been employed at Microsoft while working on Gentoo, etc. No contribution to Apple though as far as I am aware.

Anyway, even if Chropera does eventually have a Linux version, it will be the same bomb as on Win and Mac. Most so-called browsers out there these days are Chromium clones. One more adds nothing.

Reply #311
I understood that the main reason why they were made was because anti-spam tools were too difficult to incorporate into My Opera.

Rather, I'd phrase it like this: Opera wanted to save some money,* and the My Opera staff didn't protest (much) because of all the spam they constantly had to deal with. Especially on blogs.

* I'd call it advertising.

His claim is that since there are Linux users among Opera workers - even the CEO is that - there's hope. But in this crazy world of ours, this is not an argument any more. For example, the founder of Gentoo distro has always used a Macbook to do "real" work, and has been employed at Microsoft while working on Gentoo, etc. No contribution to Apple though as far as I am aware.

I am somewhat reminded of how KPN said they had something like 99% ADSL coverage (this was a decade ago), except in the least densely populated areas. This included large parts of Wassenaar, where the KPN CEO resided.

Reply #312

http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/03/02/linux-and-blink-powered-opera/
Quote from: ruario
I am really sorry it is taking so long!

I was just reading the Linux Mint 16 thread and went to the Linux Mint Blog and noticed that "Linux Mint is proudly sponsored by:" Opera as a "Gold Sponsor" (the only Gold Sponsor listed).

Seems a bit ironic, given the lack of an Opera 15+ build for Linux! :P

...but in keeping with Ruarí's remarks.  :)

Reply #313
Opera's gold sponsorship ceased to be the case at the turn of the year. Must have been older posts you were reading. The current topper of the list is something called www.eukhost.com. Opera ASA looks like ancient history already
http://www.linuxmint.com/sponsors.php

Reply #314

Opera's gold sponsorship ceased to be the case at the turn of the year. Must have been older posts you were reading.

Indeed!  My link is to the December 2013 post.

Good catch! :)

Reply #315
Ruari has now launched a marketing offensive on his blog, highlighting a few extensions that can restore beloved Opera behavior.

What does this error mean?

Reply #316
Tried to try 'uploading' on Box, a pop-up opened, I hit hit "activate plugin", then got an error.
Tried the 'details':
Quote from: Opera?
ava.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
   at com.sun.deploy.net.protocol.https.Handler.openConnection(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.URL.openConnection(Unknown Source)
   at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getImageFromHash(Unknown Source)
   at sun.awt.SunToolkit.getImage(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.loadCustomImage(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.beginPainting(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.setupGrayBoxPainter(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.access$600(Unknown Source)
   at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl cannot be cast to com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509ExtendedTrustManager
   at com.sun.deploy.security.X509ExtendedDeployTrustManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.deploy.net.protocol.https.Handler$Initializer$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at com.sun.deploy.net.protocol.https.Handler$Initializer.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
   ... 10 more
Exception: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

Reply #317
Is this an error in Opera? In any case, it sounds like you should be looking at Java.

"Box" trouble

Reply #318
Later, Box informed me that I was using an "old version of IE":lol:, and soon I would get more trouble...
(Individual files appeared uploadable, though...)

Reply #319

Reply #320
Quote from: DnD Sanctuary
You are ignoring this user.
I'm not ignoring any user, I can only ignore certain accounts.
Do you know the difference, dumple machine?

Reply #321
Ruari wrote a new blog post.

http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/03/18/bookmarks/
Quote from: ruari
Stash shows its true strength when trying to find pages that you only vagely remember, since it gives better visual clues and allows for a more comprehensive search.

That doesn't actually have much to do with Stash one way or the other. And does the system have some kind of tags yet?

Reply #322

Ruari wrote a new blog post.

http://ruario.ghost.io/2014/03/18/bookmarks/
Quote from: ruari
Stash shows its true strength when trying to find pages that you only vagely remember, since it gives better visual clues and allows for a more comprehensive search.

That doesn't actually have much to do with Stash one way or the other. And does the system have some kind of tags yet?
When it's for pages that you only vaguely remember, then why tags? Usually I can find pages that I only vaguely remember on Google too. When I know I bookmarked something (in this case "stashed"), the memory is much clearer.

Reply #323
I use FireFox, & I use both bookmarks, & speed dial.

I have only about 150 bookmarks, whereas I have over 900+ speed dials listed under 35 definitive tabs.

I have a custom button that loads a snapshot of my entire speed dial in a tab as a html page, & offers me a entry box to type in a keyword, instantaneously enabling me to find any speed dial(s) that match the keyword.

Bottom line, as long as FireFox & Speed Dial's creator don't give up on the Speed Dial Extension, I couldn't care if FireFox dropped bookmarks too too much.

But hey, that's just my personal point of view. 

Reply #324
I've got bookmarks going back over a decade. I'll bet that my folders are significantly more useful in locating barely remembered (or forgotten!) bookmarks than any other mechanism. For instance, imagine I'm searching for a rye bread sourdough recipe. I might never find it in the Stash if I have only a vague memory of it, because the one I've got is in German.