Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 169474 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #275

Real browser developers don't print...

I'm not a browser developer.  ;D

Jugimaster's claim was weird to say the least. In order to use specific DNS-servers, the client would have to alter system settings. That's something only malware does.

Neither host nor dig nor nslookup (deprecated) alter any system settings. Ignoring system settings, on the other hand… Chrome does plenty of it.

Reply #276

Jugimaster's claim was weird to say the least. In order to use specific DNS-servers, the client would have to alter system settings.

Neither host nor dig nor nslookup (deprecated) alter any system settings. Ignoring system settings, on the other hand… Chrome does plenty of it.

Ok :)

Not altering but circumventing/ignoring system/user settings. A matter of semantics? :)

BTW, I never used Chromium or a Chromium based browser except for testing Chropera  twice (once for 10 min and today for 5 min).
Could you make a list of user/sytem settings ignored by Chrome?
Not that I'm interested in Chrome but nice to know about nevertheless  :P

Reply #277
BTW, I never used Chromium or a Chromium based browser except for testing Chropera  twice (once for 10 min and today for 5 min).
Could you make a list of user/sytem settings ignored by Chrome?
Not that I'm interested in Chrome but nice to know about nevertheless

Eh, I was referring mostly to the exceedingly obvious. It has weird round tabs instead of ones that integrate with the system theme, for instance. Now if I ran a theme with weird round tabs… The menu is activated through a button on the right, which to my knowledge is the system style only in Gnome (Shell). Not on Windows, not on Mac OS, not on any other Linux desktop. Opera's top-left menu button actually conforms to some of Microsoft's own Windows applications, although I'm pretty sure Microsoft is breaking its own interface guidelines.

Less obviously, there's the update mechanism. Instead of using the Windows Task Scheduler to check for updates once a day or so, it insists on running its own stupid background updater service all the time. You can set it up properly yourself so it's not wasting memory or checking for updates every hour (or however often it apparently thinks it should check for updates), but you shouldn't have to. I believe Opera integrated the updating process into the browser itself, making it thus superior to Chrome.

Chrome's print dialog was wholly non-standard on Windows when last I checked, but on Linux it's currently native. Actually the whole program is slightly more native on Linux. For instance, you can "use system title bar and borders".

Reply #278
I'm not a browser developer. 

No, but thus they don't eat their own printed dog food either. I used to share printer with the developers, a printer I used intensely, the devs not at all unless some of them were testing print. If I had a printing problem I would file a bug.

Unless some devs were in testing mode they were not printing, and had no printing problems, and filed no bug. If someone filed a bug someone would handle that eventually, probably. Phones don't print much. In upshot, while a couple of time in its history Opera was known for good print handling, much of the time they were letting it slide.

And that was the case with devs at the competing browsers as well. They didn't print. In principle that should be a win for the open source printers, but in practice they all had their shares of bugs, some quite catastrophal. At a project long after I left Opera, where precision printing actually was important, after some testing around, I used one version of Firefox for that particular printer and was very careful not to upgrade or change the environment.

Until somebody makes a CSS Print acid test suite, and it matters among the remaining browser vendors, I don't think we will have reliable and consistent printing anywhere.

Reply #279
At a project long after I left Opera, where precision printing actually was important, after some testing around, I used one version of Firefox for that particular printer and was very careful not to upgrade or change the environment.

I typically print with Firefox or Prince. You can do some really, really neat things with Prince.

A few years back I checked how much work it would take to change a HTML file from Project Gutenberg into a physical book. As it turns out, no more than about half an hour—less now that I've laid the groundwork and Prince has better JS support.

<a href="http://fransdejonge.com/test/2012/lidewyde/lidewyde.html">HTML[/url] (straight from Gutenberg with only some minor CSS tweaks for nice Prince output — you can see how simpe it all is)

<a href="http://fransdejonge.com/test/2012/lidewyde/lidewyde-lulu.pdf">PDF[/url] (margins are kind of awful because more pages cost more money, hehe. Easy-peasy to play around with, of course)

(Copied from my own comment here.)

The Knuth (LaTeX) line breaking algorithm would've definitely improved matters, although I'm not sure how well the modern Dutch rules would do on the 19th century prose. I never did order the book from Lulu; in the end I read it all from the screen.

Reply #280
ׂ

Reply #281
According to Sagrid, the Google DNS might be contacted when using the Turbo/Off-Road mode. If that's the case, the user has chosen to use a proxy in an unclear, dynamic location.

Frankly that still doesn't sound very plausible, except perhaps just once to determine the IP address associated with (operaX-turbo.)opera-mini.net

Reply #282
ׂ

Reply #283

The time has come. Opera forums are now turning read-only. They could just leave them as an archive for at least a couple of years. Unless they are ashamed of the past.

Right, I logged in and found this message "The My Opera forums are being replaced by our new forums. Starting February 26th, the My Opera forums will be in read-only mode. On March 3rd, they will be removed along with the rest of My Opera."

I will be sitting in Opera IRC to see it shut down too, first hand. It's the final countdown.

Reply #284
By Norwegian privacy laws they cannot. All copies and all data must be deleted shortly after closure, not even an anonymised copy for future historians/researchers.

There was a big huff about it, when Nettby, a huge community in Norway, where about 1 out of 6 Norwegians were a member (me not). All gone now. The Wayback Machine has some, but it is not located in Norway.

Reply #285
ׂ

Reply #287
I'm surprised it's still online. They've removed Jon's attempt to swim across the Atlantic.

Reply #288
It's the final countdown.
Yes, go Europe and Sweden... There is also a nachspiel...

It's one of those times when I feel that the Internet has way too much Law in it nowadays. What difference does it make when a site is "closed" versus "open". I can't exactly go to My Opera and ask to remove parts of it that I deem to have become intrusive to my privacy. The staff would have a hard time servicing such requests.

I generally like Norwegian privacy laws, they give the citizens reasonable power over their privacy and limit companies/others ability to intrude or collect data on them. Some decisions, more than the laws themselves, make less sense though, like this.

Reply #290
They've removed Jon's attempt to swim across the Atlantic.

Now that you mention it, you're right. Another case of culture, history, and sports being lost in time on the Internet. Now we only have the secondary sources, and possibly an archive.

Reply #291
Does opera mail also finishes today?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #292
No, that should expire with the rest of My Opera on Monday. Just checked, it seems fine.

Reply #294

This board is about browsers - not communities.

Does that distinction really matter? Fort so many of us, when they dumped Presto in favor of Blink the browser took a dive. Then, the decision to dump the community sealed the deal. In this case, browser and community are nearly one and the same.

Note: I've just had a go at checking the new forums. Still not ready for prime time, buggy as a house full of termites. I couldn't stay long before it went dead and tried to 86 my browser

Josh, before you ask: 86 is Trucker lingo for trashing your system. It's part of the CB-Radio 10-code, in this case 10-86.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #296

If you had any idea about what Opera browser is, or was supposed to be, you wouldn't open your mouth for saying such imbecilities.
Opera mail was part of opera browser, cappice palerma?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #299

If you had any idea about what Opera browser is, or was supposed to be, you wouldn't open your mouth for saying such imbecilities.
Opera mail was part of opera browser, cappice palerma?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/video]