Skip to main content

Poll

In order for peace to take root in North Ireland, should British (Unionist) troops withdraw permanently back to Britain?

Yes -- Absolutely!
No -- Never!
Completely Befuddled & Unsure.
In True Irish Tradition Need 12+ beers or so to ponder all the options.
Topic: What's Going on in Northern Ireland? (Read 16816 times)

Re: What's Going on in Northern Ireland?

Reply #25
I think SF resents any kind of peace, anywhere.

Do you ignore what's actually Going on in Northern Ireland?

Reply #26

Like I said earlier, "Continued British inaction could see a renewal of unrest & an eventual rise in bloodshed."

Hostilities will cease only when the very last Brit turns for home ..... not one moment before.  Tiocfaidh ár lá
The blame for continued bad feelings lie not in the past but in all those that dwell in the past and treat violence as some sort of hobby. This includes the bunch of murderous would-be-IRA thugs that you admire so much, SF. Such thugs are part of the problem not in any way a solution to it.

Ever hear of the UDP, UVF, UFF, & the UDA?

Do you turn a blind eye to their murderous mayhem & thuggery perpetrated against the Northern Irish Catholics?

Do you, or anyone else reading this, turn a blind eye to the provocations of the Ulster Orangemen, who march pompously through Catholic neighborhoods taunting & terrorizing those Catholic Irish to respond --- like the Klu Klux Klan does through Black Neighborhoods in the USA taunting & terrorizing the Blacks until they respond --- and when they do respond, decry their response in the highest of terms as if it were all their fault?

What about the murderous activities & barbarism of those [glow=green,2,300]Ulster Loyalist Terrorist Groups[/glow] I mentioned earlier? (See Below *)

Are they any less culpable?

Or do you admire them for what they do in the guise that it's simply because they protest the part-time sharing of the masts over Northern Ireland's government buildings with another flag?

Is that a legitimate cause for them to resort to murder?

The Unionists seem to think so.

Please don't try to talk it down, & ignore it's relevance in the issue, for if you do the word 'hypocritical' comes to mind.

If you do then you truly belong in the ranks of RJ's racist, anti-Sectarian, & anti-Catholic Unionists --- Terrorists in their own right --- Terrorists that darn the orange colors of cowardice.

I sincerely hope you don't, for I was beginning to believe you were of a different cut than he, & that he & his ilk were far below you.

The Ulster Volunteer Force is no longer on ceasefire after a series of shootings and acts of intimidation by the loyalist terror group, rank-and-file police officers have warned.

After a weekend of terrorist incidents including the shooting of a 15-year-old and the distribution of UVF leaflets naming and threatening people allegedly involved in antisocial behaviour, the Police Federation in Northern Ireland said the loyalist organisation's ceasefire was over........

........Loyalist terror groups, particularly the UVF, have remained active despite being officially on ceasefire. The UVF in east Belfast has been behind much of the street riots connected to the union flag dispute at Belfast city hall.

The organisation is also thought to be behind a series of shootings in the east of the city including the attempted murder of a former girlfriend of the UVF's so-called commander in the area earlier this year.

The majority of attacks and violent incidents involve loyalists portraying themselves as an alternative vigilante police force in Protestant working-class areas carrying out summary "justice" against those accused of antisocial activities.......

Over the last two years I have highlighted on this website a number of key facts from the mountain of evidence pointing to the centrality of the British terror factions in the north-east of Ireland to Britain’s counter-insurgency war against the Irish Republican Army.

Simply put it is now beyond any reasonable form of doubt that terrorist organisations like the UDA-UFF (which for most of its history was a legal terror group under British law), the UVF and others operated as de facto adjuncts to the British Forces in Ireland, both military and paramilitary.

These extreme British and Protestant separatists, driven by a colonial legacy of anti-Irish racism and anti-Catholic sectarianism, rampaged in pulsating waves of violence across the north-eastern part of our island-nation whenever their masters in Britain saw that it was politically or militarily necessary for them to do so.........  

Will you, or anyone else reading this, turn a blind eye to these facts, & talk the murderous thuggery & other various provocations & activity of these Ulster Terrorist Groups, talk them down as unimportant compared to the responses of the IRA to them?

I think SF resents any kind of peace, anywhere.

A simplistically ignorant view from a simplistic mind, ergo the term [glow=green,2,300]'Bird Brained'[/glow].

Reply #27
@SF - to clarify, I repeat part of what I actually wrote:

"The blame for continued bad feelings lie not in the past but in all those that dwell in the past and treat violence as some sort of hobby. This includes ......... "

I emphasise the important word -- "all". This includes all the raving terrorist thugs still misbehaving on both sides. My point, if you care to revisit it, was that clinging onto past hates and, worse, blathering about them (and even worse than that of course, acting on them) only serves to perpetuate bad feeling. I'm also against the provocative marches (not all are I understand) but also against provocative raising of Irish Flags in Northern Ireland. All such things simply serve to raise tensions and could so easily cause another wave of mayhem.

The Good Friday Agreement was meant to draw a line under the violence and gave amnesty to many who were guilty of foul crimes. However the amnesty was not universal and it's been suggested that that principle be extended to all crimes related to the troubles prior to that agreement and I agree with that, on both sides and up and down and left and right.

Is that clear enough?

Reply #28
And we would never have had those groups like the UDA, etc if SmileFaze terrorist and his lot hadn't created mayhem. As for the Guardian it often talks drivel. Sectarianism is all one side - aye right Towards the end of the 18th century when the Irish Rebellion broke out they carried black flags with a white cross and the initials "MWS." This stood for 'murder without sin' because the Roman Church reckoned it was okay to kill Protestants as they were heretics.  These mutt heads in the republican cause carry the flag of the country next door. Kind of interesting that as the flag was designed to accommodate the two traditions. And what happened in post-1922 in the then new Free State? The Protestant population fell from 20 to only 2%. Farms, shops, houses burned out - so much for a flag to cover all! Over 300 hundred Orange Halls have been attacked, damaged or burned.  In addition over 322 members of the same fraternity murdered.

The knuckle dragging republicans in Ulster could take a lesson from the Dublin government which gave out grants to Protestant groups in the Republic up near the Border.  Sinn Fein is now in government at Belfast and should never have happened as they knew they were never going to win in their bloody campaign. Today the nonsense still goes on with people attacked, houses, etc. Maiming and killing as is the bent of the green knuckle draggers. Southern Ireland has moved on and progressed greatly but this motley crowd of Smiley's cave dwellers still grunt and cause havoc.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #29

@SF - to clarify, I repeat part of what I actually wrote:

"The blame for continued bad feelings lie not in the past but in all those that dwell in the past and treat violence as some sort of hobby. This includes ......... "

I emphasise the important word -- "all". This includes all the raving terrorist thugs still misbehaving on both sides. My point, if you care to revisit it, was that clinging onto past hates and, worse, blathering about them (and even worse than that of course, acting on them) only serves to perpetuate bad feeling. I'm also against the provocative marches (not all are I understand) but also against provocative raising of Irish Flags in Northern Ireland. All such things simply serve to raise tensions and could so easily cause another wave of mayhem.

The Good Friday Agreement was meant to draw a line under the violence and gave amnesty to many who were guilty of foul crimes. However the amnesty was not universal and it's been suggested that that principle be extended to all crimes related to the troubles prior to that agreement and I agree with that, on both sides and up and down and left and right.

Is that clear enough?

String....thank you for clarifying that your   all includes the [glow=green,2,300]Ulster Loyalist Terrorist Groups[/glow] -- [glow=green,2,300]The UDP, UVF, UFF, & the UDA[/glow] that the RJhowie Terrorist supports via his provocative, taunting, & terrorizing  of the Northern Ireland Catholics via their   [glow=green,2,300]Klu Klux Klan[/glow]   style marching that you & I are firmly against.

Unfortunately, even if all the Brits turned tail & left the Emerald Isle en-masse, the scourge, horrors, & rape of this great land can't be washed away, & I believe the hatred of those foul peoples will never leave the Irish consciousness.

But leaving is the only hope that the future has that there could ever be a healing of any kind.

Reply #30
....And we would never have had those groups like the UDA, etc if SmileFaze terrorist and his lot hadn't created mayhem.....

And the IRA wouldn't exist  (as it is today)  if the English & their lot would have stayed at home in their Isle in the first place, rather than raping the Emerald Isle of all they could for over 800 years.

EDIT:  Removed & revised some 'grammatical' errors.

Reply #31
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/video]

Reply #32
@SF – clarifying “all” – no, not really, just repeating what I had written before since you had evidently not read it. As for the rest of your post – I see that apart from trying simplistically to put words into my mouth which were not there, it’s your usual hate-filled stuff so you still don’t get or even acknowledge the point I was making. Certainly I have little sympathy for any terrorists although in the case of Northern Ireland the terrorist IRA, as it was, has now entered the political arena and credit is due for that. I do have issue with (all – again) those that still advocate violence as especially with the foreign Ersatz Irish who simply don’t understand the actual situation and choose to live on the other side of the planet and not Ireland.

As for your remarks about England - please do not continue - it is not in the spirit of the forum. Besides you debase yourself.

Reply #33
.....Certainly I have little sympathy for any terrorists although in the case of Northern Ireland the terrorist IRA, as it was, has now entered the political arena and credit is due for that........

Yes, [glow=green,2,300]Sinn Fein[/glow][/i] --- the political branch of the Irish Republican Army ---  should be recognized as making a superior attempt toward an expanding peace in Northern Ireland.

Quote from:      Gerry Adams, President of Sinn Féin   http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/docs/sf/ga_2014-02-08.htm    

............ Ghlac Sinn Féin leis na tograí. <Translation: Sinn Fein accepted the proposals. --  The Hillsborough Castle Agreement & the Haaas Agreement>

Let’s be clear. Issues like Acht Na Gaeilge, a Bill of Rights and the Long Kesh site, are not going away. Let us also be clear. These issues will be resolved. So too will issues of identity and contentious Orange parades.

While there may be obstacles, be sure of one thing — change will not be stopped.

I am happy to meet with the Orange Order at any time to discuss these matters.

I want to see the Orange Order treating its Catholic neighbours with respect. I want to see it treated with respect.

I want to see it upholding law and order.

Orange is one of our country’s national colours.

The Orange Order of Ireland is one of our national traditions.

And Sinn Féin wants all our traditions freed up from sectarianism from any quarter, to live together in peace and respect and with tolerance from everyone for everyone.

The tide of history is with those who seek to build a peaceful and inclusive future.

And Ireland, north and south, is changing ..........

Would/should a similar focus on an identical future be forthcoming from those in opposition, or should we expect the same ongoing thuggery & murderous mayhem & terrorism from the parties opposite -- the UDP, UVF, UFF, the UDA & RJ's own Orange Order?

As for your remarks about England - please do not continue......
     See my revisions.       Do they  -- in the spirit of the forum -- meet with your more favorable reception?

Reply #34
Slightly off-topic here, but it's a question I have to ask.

@SF: Since you hold Sinn Fein in the regard that you do, what is your position on Hamas, in the on-going debate b/w Israel and the Palestinian territories?

Reply #35
@SF: Since you hold Sinn Fein in the regard that you do, what is your position on Hamas, in the on-going debate b/w Israel and the Palestinian territories?

I actually have none.

I would expect they should be given the respect that they deserve, whatever that might be, based on their own efforts towards a lasting peace.

I hope you open a separate thread based on those issues, so I/we all can see how their position might evolve.

Reply #36
As a further statement of the desire for a durable & peaceful Irish future in Northern Ireland.......

Quote from:       Martin McGuinness  (SF)   http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/docs/sf/mmcg_2014-02-07.htm 

........ And we need to continue to lead in the Peace Process.

I have spoken in recent days about my frustration at the lack of positive engagement by political unionism at this time.

I have to say I have been heartened by the response I have had privately from people across society in the north to my intervention.

Make no mistake about it – the vast majority of people want the political institutions in the north to succeed. They share my sense of frustration at the current approach being adopted by unionist leaders.

The current difficulties are real, but they are not insurmountable.

My commitment and the commitment of Sinn Féin to the process and to the institutions is absolute ..........

What do the Unionists of Northern Ireland have to say about that? 

So far, the silence is deafening except for their ongoing thuggery, mayhem,  & total disdain for & towards the North's Irish-Catholics.

Reply #37

I actually have none.

I would expect they should be given the respect that they deserve, whatever that might be, based on their own efforts towards a lasting peace.

I hope you open a separate thread based on those issues, so I/we all can see how their position might evolve.

Thank you for your answer. :cheers:

Reply #38

....And we would never have had those groups like the UDA, etc if SmileFaze terrorist and his lot hadn't created mayhem.....

And the IRA wouldn't exist  (as it is today)  if the English & their lot would have stayed at home in their Isle in the first place, rather than raping the Emerald Isle of all they could for over 800 years.

EDIT:  Removed & revised some 'grammatical' errors.
SF - Thank you for the change; as for the blarney about raping and pillaging through the centuries, last time I checked I had not raped anyone so I'm afraid there's at least one Englishman who does not fit your favoured stereotype. Maybe it's something about Wessex.

Reply #39
Well string in a sense the Provisional IRA had little choice but to move politically because they knew fine well that a "wae" was never going to be winnable. However the political  headbangers in London came up with a non-democratic system in the Assembly with everyone in the government and as said only a tiny few independents. Time after time thiongs are drawn out which makes a farce of democracy. This process of course is right up the street of SmileyFaze Terrorist's street. They just love the protracted dialougue and yakking as is their wont. And we throw in that load of cobblers from SmielyFaze terrorist about deliberate parades to provoke. In actual truth of all the paradesd in Ulster you can count on the fingers of ONE hand where there is some form of coflict. If we take the Drumcree example as one that is a church parade where hymns are played and they did so for well over a century and more and long before the Churchill Estate was built.  In fact it was a mixed area to start with although the Prots soon had to move. Five years ago the Ancient Order of Hibernians (or what is left of them) applied for their annual demonstration to be in a village that was 70% Unionist and you know what they giot it because the community made NO objections. Their Unionists stance was that that was a  respect of a tradition even if they did not agree with it's aims. However that does not work the other way round.  In north Belfast the 3 Ligoneil Orange Lodges always returned from the main parade home to their halls for a century and all of a sudden stopped.  It is no small wonder the Irish Republic dropped the claim over Ulster from their constitution as they most certainly do not want to import the trouble from the Republican lot of knuckle draggers into their more progressive place.Maybe SmileyFaze in thought may have a point about guns because they get you somewhere in Ulster.

Reply #40
Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams arrested over 1972 IRA killing

Not that I have any sympathy for anyone involved with those disappearances, but this is a bad move IMHO , the amnesuty should cover all such things prior to the Good Friday Agreement. Otherwise there will be a friction issue every time someone is accused, whatever side they were on.

Besides that, it has to be noted that Adams's involvement is alleged, not proven.

Reply #41
It might seems an easy stance to take but in practice that is not going to happen - re forgetting the past. As it happens the past and today are strongly linked.  There are tapes in an American university (was it Boston) which included a very direct one from a senior IRA leader whom we have heard played. He made it very clear that Gerry Adams was in the IRA and that he is no sympathetic innocent.  The case revolves round a woman (from the Nationalist/Republican community) murdered decades ago by the IRA as a suspected mole. She was dragged away by a gang of despicables and they very kindly brought back her purse and rings. How nice of the thugs. The woman who left behind a large number of kids was innocent. On Thursday night here the oldest daughter who was 15 at the time was interviews from BBC Belfast and she has stated that come hell on high water she is going to name those wheo were involved in taking her mum. When the interviewer asked if she was afraid of being shot she was resolute in saying she wasn't as her life had been much ruined years ago. Adams has been arrested on incidents before but prosecutors got nowhere. This woman on television says that if anything was to happen to her her offspring would continue to get the perpetrator.

Personally and although I would like to see that evil git Adams found guilty the chances are remote. The IRA leader who recorded his comments and admissions has been dead for a while  so the slime ball will slide out of this like before. There is in practice no way you can have a truth and justice thing like South Africa and the situation is not all dusted down in Ulster either no matter the Good Friday Agreement. Indeed that "agreement" which put murderers into government in the Province is a disgrace to democracy both in principle and practice when you see how the Assembly works.arrested. That other hal, McGuinness comes out with that stuff that the Adams arrest is because the European and Ulster Local Elections are coming up. If my television hadn't cost so much I would throw something at it every time I see those liars Adams and McGuinness on it.

Reply #42
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpwZdV4MSwM[/VIDEO]

Quote from:     The BBC  http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27244878    
Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness has claimed Gerry Adams' arrest is due to a "dark side" within policing    conspiring with enemies of the peace process.

He added that the detention was[glow=blue,2,300] a "deliberate attempt to influence the outcome of elections" [/glow]in three weeks.

Dia duit, Gerry Adams & Máirtín Mac Aonghusa!

Reply #43
A load of old bukum.

McGuinness and Adams know well in their own crass minds that part of the Peace Agreement was that atrocities before a set date would be open for scrutiny. Maybe that one is beyond your knowledge. However they mouth off when it is something that effects their corner when someone in their side got done in but when they do it that is somehow a diffent thing?? How utterly stupid is that?  The police did their job in the matter being raised and took measured time. It was a horrendous and despicable murder of an innocent mother from the Republican community. A woman with a large family she went to the door and finding an injred soldier during a situation tried to help in a humanitarian way. Can I remind at this point that the bitchy woman Bernadette Devlin another Republican eejit got shot it was British soliders that rescued her and saved her life.

Anyway a squad of PIRA cave-dwellers barged into her home and dragged the woman away in front of terriried and screaming children . Duly tortured and buried in the Republic at County Louth. Her family new the perpratators but everyone kept silence due to the intimidation. But now her oldest daughter is a brave woman and is giving the names to the police. Throw in the Boston tapes that state that Adams is responsible and was a Provisional meber. I dare say he will get away with it as a Teflon terrorist. As for his guff that he was a sympathiser and never a member of the IRA animals is rubbish.

So it was your murderous pals SmileFaze that dragged an innocent mother away to murder her so do feel able to apologise and to thank those soldiers who saved that bitch Devlin for saving here life. So McGuinness with an in your face one-sided hypocrisy comes out with that bunk about it being a political thing due to forthcoming elections is typical of the SF. We are dealing with a bad, bad murder within the terms though you and your thuggish gits have studiously ignored this state of affairs.  My respect to the killed mother's daughter who says now she does not care a damn what the Republican terrorists do to her as they had already ruined her life. Good on a woman who has courage to name the killers and a far better person than the low lives doing what they scummy did.

Reply #44
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BoqYJmAhEg[/VIDEO]

[glow=blue,2,300]Tiocfaidh ár lá [/glow]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4yAR7KBm2I[/VIDEO]

The purely political seizure of freedom fighter Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, is over, & rightfully so with no charges laid for there never was any evidence worthy of charge.

The police stand totally discredited.

Sinn Féin stands united & stronger than ever amidst this political disgrace perpetrated by the thuggish Anti-Peace Process Unionist Police.

Unionists will not be permitted to derail the peace process.

Gerry Adams will not be deterred in his vision for peace for Northern Ireland, & it's eventual reuniting with the South to form Ceann Aontaithe na hÉireann -- Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #45
Politics is coming from Sinn Fein/IRA, not the police, who have a duty to investigate these past murders.

A pity, as I've said before, that all these past crimes are not put aside across the board as, was done in the relatively civilised South Africa. But this seems to be beyond the capacity of those in Northern Ireland and in Foreign Countries beyond.

The "accusation" against Adams came from an IRA member, and was, I understand, that Adams at least knew about the murder of Jean McConville and even commissioned it. That accusation came from interviews done by, again, a former IRA Member,Anthony McIntyre,  who "is now in fear of his life"..

Of course the police had to investigate these things, it was their duty.

It's possible that further developments will come, unless Sinn Fein/IRA threats prevail: Michael McConville believes he could be shot if he disclosed the names of those he believes responsible for mother’s killing.

Reply #46
Huge rally my bum.

And the type of people there reflect the bottom end of society and just need to look at them. More respectable people from that community support the SDLP. Plus SmileFaze's murderous chums talk utter keech. Political policing, duh. Just because elections are coming up the police should not follow up a matter? There is nothing in society nor the legal world that says the police cannot operate at particular times of the year. This idiotic stance by them doesn't happen when it is the other way round does it? To anyone with grey cells they are stupid. What will they conjure up next - no police practice at Christmas or whatever? Ludicrous.

The Sinn Fein gave up the scumbag activity having murdered over 2,000 because they couldn't win "the war" they rabbiting about. The NI Assembly in Belfast is a corruption of democracy and is one big damn bore. I wouldn't let Adams or McGuiness near a cesspit never mind ordinary decent people.

And what will happen if that daughter of the tortured and murdered mother of 10 does give police the names of the scum who did that? She is one courageous lady and so too is the family. In fact she has more guts than that crowd of diabolical, rat bag murderous bunch of restricted brainers who murdered and bombed. I also feel sorry for the more progressive Irish south of the Border who have to put up with that SF gang in their political system.  And still the trouble exists with breakaway groups from the Prov. IRA and even the Provisionals were a breakaway from the IRA. Talk about Neanderthals.   SF should stand for Scum Fiends.

Reply #47
And still on the theme of what is going on over in Ulster it is probably timeous to remind of routine not exceptional.

Over 300 Orange Order halls have been attacked. Some 60 destroyed (and rebuilt) out of over 700. In 2003 almost two dozen attacked and only ONE arrest. About 4 years ago a Sinn Fein youth member (SmileyFaze's misunderstood Neanderthals) fell off a lodge roof near Portadown breaking his leg (positive action certainly) and got arrested. And the Shinners are meant to be innocents in this garbage?

Pipe bombs stilt being discovered. Last week just another knee shooting, Homes getting windows broken and threats. Attempts at burning people out. Oh, but we have the Good Friday Peace Accord don't we?

Reply #48

And still on the theme of what is going on over in Ulster it is probably timeous to remind of routine not exceptional.

Over 300 Orange Order halls have been attacked. Some 60 destroyed (and rebuilt) out of over 700. In 2003 almost two dozen attacked and only ONE arrest. About 4 years ago a Sinn Fein youth member (SmileyFaze's misunderstood Neanderthals) fell off a lodge roof near Portadown breaking his leg (positive action certainly) and got arrested. And the Shinners are meant to be innocents in this garbage?

You mean the one that fell off the roof is proof that all of the others are all at fault for all the crap happening in NI? :rolleyes:
Howie Logic(tm) to the rescue!

Reply #49
What is an Orange Order hall?