Skip to main content
Topic: ...If You Were Wealthy... (Read 7504 times)

...If You Were Wealthy...

I just watched videos of two wealthy and famous British entertainers. In the clips each was shown being chauffeured.

The moon will turn into Swiss cheese before I become wealthy, but I can't imagine having a driver. It conflicts with my self image. I also recognize that I'm a bit of an oddity, one who eats bananas without peeling them.

How about you? Please explain your response so the rest of us can make fun of you.
=====================================================================
BTW, do any of you know where Mcallan comes from?

Re: ...If You Were Wealthy...

Reply #1
I AM wealthy.
I had enough to eat today and will have enough to eat tomorrow. I have warm clothes and my roof doesn't leak.
I have access to DnD.
What more could I want?

Reply #2
Last night, I slept in the van, in a rest-stop somewhere in Iowa. That's not exactly something that rich people do, especially on such a night as last night was.

Most nights aren't quite like that though. I do get home sometimes, and have food and so on.

Having a driver for my vehicle?? Perish the thought.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #3
The location of flight 370.

Reply #5
A chauffeur? I remember that from when I was a kid. Not bad. ;)

Reply #6
I don't care about chauffeur.

If I was wealthy - I would travel around the world. It would be great to visit places like Brazil, Galapagos. But crossing Atlantics costs like a hell.

Reply #7
I guess you don't want me to get wealthy - lest I'm introducing social darwinism (Opera's spellcheck doesn't know the word).

Reply #8
I AM wealthy.
I had enough to eat today and will have enough to eat tomorrow. I have warm clothes and my roof doesn't leak.
I have access to DnD.
What more could I want?

Maybe you could want the important things in life.

Those who lost their roofs can finally stare the stars.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #9
If suddenly wealthy I might perhaps buy a second home in Morningside one of the poshest parts of posh Edinburgh. Boy would I enjoy their unsettled state having a couthy Glaswegian in their midst from time to time.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #10

Having a driver for my vehicle?? Perish the thought.

So you are the kind of guy who hasn't got the guts to trust other people? Not everybody can afford that.

My sister is a good driver. Not just good, excellent. She has all the categories on her driver's licence when I only have one. She runs a bus company - with several hired drivers of course. She knows how to put them to test when hiring and how to let them live when employing. I am okay being her IT guy and occasional ghost writer.

Reply #11

If suddenly wealthy I might perhaps buy a second home in Morningside one of the poshest parts of posh Edinburgh. Boy would I enjoy their unsettled state having a couthy Glaswegian in their midst from time to time.

But you hate Edinburgh!

Reply #13
But I can do devilish jimbro. If really wealthy I would buy Edinburgh and ship it over to the ex-colonies so pick a suitable State. I do expect Michigan to be immune it has enough probs.

Reply #14

But I can do devilish jimbro. If really wealthy I would buy Edinburgh and ship it over to the ex-colonies so pick a suitable State. I do expect Michigan to be immune it has enough probs.

Michigan's wet periphery should work. We have room for all of Scotland, not just Edinburgh. It's called Lake Superior, and Scotland would fit in it with a wee bit to spare. You and Alex Salmond could bathe together.

Now, back to Scotland, and the typical Scot...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AraqivhpJI8[/video]

Reply #15
Ok, in order to play I would ask clarification.

What the fuck is considered wealthy?

Having 1 million dollars?

Having 10 Million Dollars

Having 50 Million Dollars

Are we talking about combined assets (liquid, real estate, various other personal items -- leather bound books, rich mahogany, etc), or just cold cash?

Then again, are we talking about economic assets at all, or could we be talking about spiritual intangibles?

So, again I ask ------ What the fuck is considered wealthy?

Reply #16
If the mean family net worth is under $500,000 then yes, $1 million is comparatively wealthy. On the other hand, it's still on the same scale. But don't you think it's telling that $1 million is the lowest value you mentioned? :)

Reply #17

I just watched videos of two wealthy and famous British entertainers. In the clips each was shown being chauffeured.
I've seen a couple as well, but in those the limousine was paid for by the BBC, not that well-off entertainers couldn't easily pay their own car.

I've always been driven, whether by a taxi driver, a pilot, a rented car with driver, a friend, a rickshaw driver, a metro driver. Not having a driver's licence makes me that wealthy. Being in places with poor public transport like many places in China gives me that need, they also commonly have useful local knowledge.

It is practical, you can do whatever you are there to do while in the backseat, without having to focus on keeping the vehicle on the road. I'm not sure I would call it much of a perk though. Neither is it that expensive, in many places the cost of the driver would be significantly less than the cost of the car and fuel.

Reply #18
"Wealthy" = "no need to work till end of life" + "whatever you want - you have money for it".

Reply #19
Well jimbro would be better being drowned than having to live in the ex-colonies the way it's run.  8)

Reply #20
"Wealthy" = "no need to work till end of life" + "whatever you want - you have money for it".

By that metric no one (or at least not I) could ever be wealthy. The NASA budget is something like $15 to 16 billion a year, so even Bill Gates would have to declare bankruptcy after funding NASA for just 4 years.

Reply #21

By that metric no one (or at least not I) could ever be wealthy. The NASA budget is something like $15 to 16 billion a year, so even Bill Gates would have to declare bankruptcy after funding NASA for just 4 years.

If you want to finance NASA - then, yes, you will never be wealthy. But if everything you want, let's say, visit space like Dennis Tito - then, quite many people on Earth have enough money for this.

So, question here is what exactly a particular person wants. Not everybody wants to finance NASA, and even not everybody wants to visit space.

Reply #22
Oh, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. ;)

Reply #23
Shifting gears, I think that if you were a wealthy and ugly footballer, you could still have the hottest arm candy on the planet.
Bacary Sagna

Frank Ribery.

His girlfriend.

You have to hope that the ladies are utter shrews.