Skip to main content
Topic: qtwebengine version with single process option? (Read 2582 times)

qtwebengine version with single process option?

First I want to say thanks for making this great browser! It's my default browser. I use it with a lot of tabs, >30. Now I tried the qtwebengine version and it consumed more than four times RAM (more than 1.5 GByte), as it opens a new process for every tab.

This "one process per tab" model is one reason why I don't use Chromium based browsers. But it seems that Chromium supports a single process option, even if they don't recommend it:
https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/process-models

Will future Otter version support this option or does it even do now? If so, how do I enable it?

Thanks!

Re: qtwebengine version with single process option?

Reply #1
single process support is totally broken in Chromium since many years and it seems Google (and Chromium in general) is not interested at all in fixing it, so QTWebEngine can't support it... at this state I think the best would be to simply remove all its code from Chromium to have a more optimized codebase

Reply #2
Oh, this is a pity... that is also one of the various reasons why I hate Chrome. I didn't know we would have to suffer it in Otter as well.

Chrome is the scour of browsers.

Edit: it's funny that this post appears as posted by Chrome, lol (it actually wasn't...)

Reply #3
One day Otter Browser will no longer be a single-process browser?  Is that what is being said here?  Thank you.

Reply #4
Edit: it's funny that this post appears as posted by Chrome, lol (it actually wasn't...)

Sorry, I'm not Edgy enough to adjust that right now. :P

One day Otter Browser will no longer be a single-process browser?  Is that what is being said here?  Thank you.

From what I understand QtWebEngine (i.e. Blink) is multiprocess, but I haven't checked what enabling QtWebEngine does in Otter right now.

Reply #5

That depends on what is offered by supported backends, so far QtWebKit is still available, there is a chance for semi-official builds of newer versions (right now it is stuck on 5.5.1).

But the trend is to use multiprocess rendering engines, I haven't checked yet Servo but perhaps it is more efficient than Blink + Chromium.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.