Skip to main content
Topic: Statesmanship (Read 9059 times)

Statesmanship

How would you define it? (King George III had said something which I'd agree…)

The following is George Washington's first inaugural address. Tell me -if you know of one- of another as eloquent, or in any other wise better!

Address by George Washington, 1789

Fellow-Citizens of the Senate and of the House of Representatives:

Among the vicissitudes incident to life no event could have filled me with greater anxieties than that of which the notification was transmitted by your order, and received on the 14th day of the present month. On the one hand, I was summoned by my country, whose voice I can never hear but with veneration and love, from a retreat which I had chosen with the fondest predilection, and, in my flattering hopes, with an immutable decision, as the asylum of my declining years—a retreat which was rendered every day more necessary as well as more dear to me by the addition of habit to inclination, and of frequent interruptions in my health to the gradual waste committed on it by time. On the other hand, the magnitude and difficulty of the trust to which the voice of my country called me, being sufficient to awaken in the wisest and most experienced of her citizens a distrustful scrutiny into his qualifications, could not but overwhelm with despondence one who (inheriting inferior endowments from nature and unpracticed in the duties of civil administration) ought to be peculiarly conscious of his own deficiencies. In this conflict of emotions all I dare aver is that it has been my faithful study to collect my duty from a just appreciation of every circumstance by which it might be affected. All I dare hope is that if, in executing this task, I have been too much swayed by a grateful remembrance of former instances, or by an affectionate sensibility to this transcendent proof of the confidence of my fellow-citizens, and have thence too little consulted my incapacity as well as disinclination for the weighty and untried cares before me, my error will be palliated by the motives which mislead me, and its consequences be judged by my country with some share of the partiality in which they originated.

Such being the impressions under which I have, in obedience to the public summons, repaired to the present station, it would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official act my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the universe, who presides in the councils of nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that His benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the people of the United States a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes, and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success the functions allotted to his charge. In tendering this homage to the Great Author of every public and private good, I assure myself that it expresses your sentiments not less than my own, nor those of my fellow-citizens at large less than either. No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of men more than those of the United States. Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency; and in the important revolution just accomplished in the system of their united government the tranquil deliberations and voluntary consent of so many distinct communities from which the event has resulted can not be compared with the means by which most governments have been established without some return of pious gratitude, along with an humble anticipation of the future blessings which the past seem to presage. These reflections, arising out of the present crisis, have forced themselves too strongly on my mind to be suppressed. You will join with me, I trust, in thinking that there are none under the influence of which the proceedings of a new and free government can more auspiciously commence.

By the article establishing the executive department it is made the duty of the President “to recommend to your consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” The circumstances under which I now meet you will acquit me from entering into that subject further than to refer to the great constitutional charter under which you are assembled, and which, in defining your powers, designates the objects to which your attention is to be given. It will be more consistent with those circumstances, and far more congenial with the feelings which actuate me, to substitute, in place of a recommendation of particular measures, the tribute that is due to the talents, the rectitude, and the patriotism which adorn the characters selected to devise and adopt them. In these honorable qualifications I behold the surest pledges that as on one side no local prejudices or attachments, no separate views nor party animosities, will misdirect the comprehensive and equal eye which ought to watch over this great assemblage of communities and interests, so, on another, that the foundation of our national policy will be laid in the pure and immutable principles of private morality, and the preeminence of free government be exemplified by all the attributes which can win the affections of its citizens and command the respect of the world. I dwell on this prospect with every satisfaction which an ardent love for my country can inspire, since there is no truth more thoroughly established than that there exists in the economy and course of nature an indissoluble union between virtue and happiness; between duty and advantage; between the genuine maxims of an honest and magnanimous policy and the solid rewards of public prosperity and felicity; since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained; and since the preservation of the sacred fire of liberty and the destiny of the republican model of government are justly considered, perhaps, as deeply, as finally, staked on the experiment entrusted to the hands of the American people.

Besides the ordinary objects submitted to your care, it will remain with your judgment to decide how far an exercise of the occasional power delegated by the fifth article of the Constitution is rendered expedient at the present juncture by the nature of objections which have been urged against the system, or by the degree of inquietude which has given birth to them. Instead of undertaking particular recommendations on this subject, in which I could be guided by no lights derived from official opportunities, I shall again give way to my entire confidence in your discernment and pursuit of the public good; for I assure myself that whilst you carefully avoid every alteration which might endanger the benefits of an united and effective government, or which ought to await the future lessons of experience, a reverence for the characteristic rights of freemen and a regard for the public harmony will sufficiently influence your deliberations on the question how far the former can be impregnably fortified or the latter be safely and advantageously promoted.

To the foregoing observations I have one to add, which will be most properly addressed to the House of Representatives. It concerns myself, and will therefore be as brief as possible. When I was first honored with a call into the service of my country, then on the eve of an arduous struggle for its liberties, the light in which I contemplated my duty required that I should renounce every pecuniary compensation. From this resolution I have in no instance departed; and being still under the impressions which produced it, I must decline as inapplicable to myself any share in the personal emoluments which may be indispensably included in a permanent provision for the executive department, and must accordingly pray that the pecuniary estimates for the station in which I am placed may during my continuance in it be limited to such actual expenditures as the public good may be thought to require.

Having thus imparted to you my sentiments as they have been awakened by the occasion which brings us together, I shall take my present leave; but not without resorting once more to the benign Parent of the Human Race in humble supplication that, since He has been pleased to favor the American people with opportunities for deliberating in perfect tranquillity, and dispositions for deciding with unparalleled unanimity on a form of government for the security of their union and the advancement of their happiness, so His divine blessing may be equally conspicuous in the enlarged views, the temperate consultations, and the wise measures on which the success of this Government must depend.
(source)

进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Re: Statesmanship

Reply #1
And on the matter of whether it is elegant or not he was part of that Constitution of that time which said in black and white that things would only apply to white persons and only they could be citizens of the new Republic. Goebells was a better speaker than Hitler but doesn't make him principled.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #3

And on the matter of whether it is elegant or not he was part of that Constitution of that time which said in black and white that things would only apply to white persons and only they could be citizens of the new Republic. Goebells was a better speaker than Hitler but doesn't make him principled.

The ironic part of this post being that, meanwhile, off goes the UK into India causing mass starvation, taking all and leaving little for the Indians, doing the same in Caribbean but with slavery, etc......

Some things never change old feller. That mote in thine eye must be blinding at this point?  :spock:

Reply #4
Yeah right Colonel. Anything to detract from hypocrisy land. Just look at your own history.

All those early corporates and rich making a new country when they met in Philly and stated that only whites could be citizens and be given. Kind of gives a clue as to why racism is such a big deal over there even today.
The Red Indians. Misused, land stolen, massacred. The blacks suffered horrendously too in vast numbers and aye in the North too so they cannot be smart alecs.
-The aim in the 1930's to replace the BE with one of your own via corporates and military pressure.
- Even right into the middle of the 20th century burnings, no votes for many.
- More killed in the Civil War than overseas wars.
-Wars started, military dictatorships supported yet guffing the world with the talk about rights, freedoms and people having to fight for them back home.
-Spend half the globe's military bill.
--Dare not to accept your ideas then expect to be barricaded, made iunstable or invaded.
-A million a year losing homes.
-Greedy bankers funded and gap between rich and poor vastly increasing.
-2.4 million in jail.
-People on death row for up to 10 years and longer. Dear, oh dear. A legal system that is a joke.
-More secret service agencies than any other nation and includes spying on their own people via house phones, mobile phones, net, credit cards, etc. The latest incident involves an Internet company taking the German Government to court for allegedly pasing info to your Gestapo, oops, NSA lot.
- The hill ruled by millionaires and little independent political stuff allowed outside the big two.
-Trillions in debt.
-Army on streets and police looking increasingly like a military State.
- Flags everywhere like kids at a carnival and an overblown nationalism. Even in every school classrm. Hey are you all simple?!
The contradictions of all the high principled stuff is constantly ridiculed by the sheer hypocrisy and efforts to control the world.  You don't really have much of a political choice in reality. Maybe you should try forming a Commonwealth without corruption and military efforts - nah, would get disappointed!

Now for a sip at my diet Irn Bru and a smiling sigh at the usual hypocrisy but you folk cannot help it as you are brained from an early age.  One real sadness and almost with a capital S to emphasise is the unfortunate losing of the Civil War by one side. Chaining up the confederate President, carpet baggers, defraduing and persecuting legions. You can join the club but want out of the great democracy? Nah, nae chance.

Reply #5

The ironic part of this post being that, meanwhile, off goes the UK into India causing mass starvation, taking all and leaving little for the Indians, doing the same in Caribbean but with slavery, etc......

Some things never change old feller. That mote in thine eye must be blinding at this point?  :spock:

The British Empire has a long and ugly rap sheet, however relatively speaking it came out better than many others in regards to slavery specifically. For instance the slaves in North America (and the Native Americans) were better off under the British than after their "independence".

Reply #6
And may I remind you jax that the great land of the free and home of the brave was so damn envious of our Empire that they were determined to replace it in the 20th century. Just look at America's imperial record and just see how principled it has been (pause for a smile), global control, corruption via the corporate masters, intimidation, supporting some of the vilest regimes, financially controlling countries or if need be by warfare (continually now for decades). If they tried to form an American Commonwealth as we did it would be a wasted effort. The way the country is run and what it says and does in the world at large is a monumental farce and statesmanship is foreign!

Reply #7
Where did I hear that before? Lemme see. Oh, it was your last post and the one before it and the one before that...

Reply #9
Well jimbro if your country was run normally instead of for the corporates one would have opportunity! It keeps ding negatives so there is no break!

I must say Belfrager that the last French king at the Revolution did have some constructive and modernising views but he had an unfortunate habit of taking fright and sacking finance ministers instead!

Reply #10
Well jimbro if your country was run normally instead of for the corporates […]
How, Howie, is your country run?
Please explain.

Democratic, but you don't like it? Plutocratic, but you're not in the plutocracy? Republican, but you dasn't admit that, since you'd rather convert to Popism? :)
You have an affinity for a centuries-ago government, and a dislike of any sensible accommodation to current events.
Your sash and badges (…a little boy's pride) show what you crave most. But how is it that you care little or nothing for the next generation?
Are you that crass?
Are you that craven?

Why?
进行 ...

Reply #11
I would say this Oaky. Don't try and fall back on the stuff that the ex-colonies are somehow automatically more democratic than here. That stance would be difficult as the practice is in the face rather than some vagueness that you come up with as a stance on anything. A semi-police State, corporate running, lack of rights for the citizenry, a phalanx of secret agencies costing billions to spy on you all yet you desperately come up with trope on regalia when you know fine well I have had more publicity than you and I don't sit on a chair meandering in desperation. It is just as well we are 3,000 plus miles away as my hiking boots would cause you to faint as the challenge of armchair politics would collapse you.

Reply #12
Don't try and fall back on the stuff that the ex-colonies are somehow automatically more democratic than here.
Oh, no. There's nothing "automatic" about it… We are as apt to lose our freedoms as our forebears across the sea lost theirs!
Your challenges are, Howie, a little boy's fantasies. Dream on! But mightn't you pay a little more attention to things at home?

We here in the U.S. are in grave danger of becoming like you in G.B., which is our most pressing political problem. What would you say is yours? :)
进行 ...

Reply #13
But I will give you this, RJ: Politicians seem to be poorly schooled…
Paul Ryan, a budget-policy wonk and VP candidate in our latest national election, voted for a bill in the House to tax executives of AIG at a special rate. (You'd likely approve… :) ) But he hadn't noticed that such was a "bill of attainder" — specifically forbidden in our "little piece of paper," as you call it.

(I'm reasonably certain that your "unwritten constitution" also -at long last- forbids such?! Let me know, would you? :) )

That a man can be so well-entrenched in our House, be quite savvy about budget matters, and run for our second highest office (okay, that's a stretch: Consider Tom Lehrer's ditty Whatever Became of Hubert? ) there remains a problem: Bills of Attainder are specifically forbidden by our "piece of paper" … How could he not know this?
His excuses of only six-hour's notice (and lawyers' advice…) fail to assuage the assault upon his sworn oath to uphold the Constitution…
How can one keep such an oath if one doesn't know what's in the Constitution?
Yet not much was made of it. (He might as well have been British, at that point: They take such things in stride.) But I remember.

Well, you had your Cromwell, didn't you? :) So you could say: We didn't dodge such a big bullet? :)

进行 ...

Reply #14
It wasn't his fault...it was his aides' fault. I thought you knew better, Oak.

Reply #15
Jimbro, you know that as sure as shit rolls down-hill the stink rises to high heaven? :)

From some others (I won't mention party affiliation…) I would have expected such. From a prominent member of the Republican party, it came as a shock.
Where, I ask, were the teachers who were supposed to instruct him? :) (No offense meant, of course, to you — who taught advanced placement literature! But we might have been better off if you and your administrators had considered our Constitution a worthy subject…)
进行 ...

Reply #16
When you look at the way things are run in the USA and often contradicts that bit of altered paper it could make one sigh. Some of your spy lot like the disgusting CSA (and others) have when it suits ignored the Constitution. The privacy of the people is ridiculed continually and anyone daring to take the issues on can expect to suffer.  I am quite content that here we do not have a written constitution and we are a democracy and rather unique not having that bit of paper you lot are always fighting over. But there again you are political children and the system is no longer working properly.You do need a second Revolution but unfortunately your corporate controllers will se that one off! Must say I do actually feel for you lot over there.

Reply #17
So: (If your educational sources can be trusted) The Confederate States of America are still a pain in our backside? (No. That's just silly. A mere typo, since you can't be "arsed" to look at what you type or think what you say.) I'll admit, for a Scotsman such as you, the "I" and the "S" are quite close on the keyboard.
Similarly, with soap-box socialism and democracy…

You speak of people's privacy, from a country whose citizenry is subjected to constant video surveillance  by their benevolent government… (You are aware, aren't you, that your TVs now likely note what you watch and when? One wonders why they'd need to do that? Up your rates, maybe? You do still pay your government for the privilege of watching your telly, don't you? Have you ever thought of asking for a rebate from the BBC?) Questions have to be asked, don't they?

You seem to have a problem with "how my country is run"… Why? I have no interest in interfering with yours… Oh, I see: You seem to think our influence is untoward! Perhaps your still nascent nation should be more to the fore?
No, that can't be it: Even tiny Israel, in the middle east that your brethren quit before you were out of your nappies irks you… Again, why?
You're keen on Nicholas II, who was killed by rogues, whom other rogues killed, etc., and eventually became the most celebrated murderers of a century crowded in that particular category! The last -the latest- in the line seems also a favorite of yours. (He hasn't killed so many, yet. You'd probably say "Give him time!" meaning the absolute opposite of almost everyone else.)

Well, enough fun.
We accept you heartfelt sympathy, as the sigh from the cat run over in the road directed at the passersby on the sidewalk: "Sorry you had to see that!"
We too are. Sorry, Puss-puss.
进行 ...

Reply #18
The trouble with the way your country is run is far from it's high faluting claims and so-called principles. What goes on inside and always creating wars outside doesn't help.

Reply #19
Great Britain was ever any different?
进行 ...

Reply #20
To help you dear routine Yank. Yes it was. You go about the world in the face style. Lean on countries to go your way and help your corporate business money controllers. Beat your chests about freedoms and rights and hand on heart with all that tense lip thing yet internally a mess. You would get more respect if your country did not go about trying to run the world and show off. As for statesmanship can anyone point out a President in stretched modern times who could fit that title??

Reply #21
Statesmanship is about a President with a secretary making him a blow job at the Governmental Office.
That's Statesmanship!!. Never dare to doubt about it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #22
As for statesmanship can anyone point out a President in stretched modern times who could fit that title??
Ronald Reagan.
进行 ...

Reply #24

Yeah right Colonel. Anything to detract from hypocrisy land. Just look at your own history.

All those early corporates and rich making a new country when they met in Philly and stated that only whites could be citizens and be given. Kind of gives a clue as to why racism is such a big deal over there even today.
The Red Indians. Misused, land stolen, massacred. The blacks suffered horrendously too in vast numbers and aye in the North too so they cannot be smart alecs.
-The aim in the 1930's to replace the BE with one of your own via corporates and military pressure.
- Even right into the middle of the 20th century burnings, no votes for many.
- More killed in the Civil War than overseas wars.
-Wars started, military dictatorships supported yet guffing the world with the talk about rights, freedoms and people having to fight for them back home.
-Spend half the globe's military bill.
--Dare not to accept your ideas then expect to be barricaded, made iunstable or invaded.
-A million a year losing homes.
-Greedy bankers funded and gap between rich and poor vastly increasing.
-2.4 million in jail.
-People on death row for up to 10 years and longer. Dear, oh dear. A legal system that is a joke.
-More secret service agencies than any other nation and includes spying on their own people via house phones, mobile phones, net, credit cards, etc. The latest incident involves an Internet company taking the German Government to court for allegedly pasing info to your Gestapo, oops, NSA lot.
- The hill ruled by millionaires and little independent political stuff allowed outside the big two.
-Trillions in debt.
-Army on streets and police looking increasingly like a military State.
- Flags everywhere like kids at a carnival and an overblown nationalism. Even in every school classrm. Hey are you all simple?!
The contradictions of all the high principled stuff is constantly ridiculed by the sheer hypocrisy and efforts to control the world.  You don't really have much of a political choice in reality. Maybe you should try forming a Commonwealth without corruption and military efforts - nah, would get disappointed!

Now for a sip at my diet Irn Bru and a smiling sigh at the usual hypocrisy but you folk cannot help it as you are brained from an early age.  One real sadness and almost with a capital S to emphasise is the unfortunate losing of the Civil War by one side. Chaining up the confederate President, carpet baggers, defraduing and persecuting legions. You can join the club but want out of the great democracy? Nah, nae chance.

If nothing else, you are exceedingly consistent. Gotta give ya that.

The question is, is all of that guff typed out each time, or is it saved in a Word document?   :eek: :D