Skip to main content
Topic: Medal puzzlement (Read 10724 times)

Medal puzzlement

I am all for military people getting a medal or medals for being in action say in a battle or campaign effort but this recent awarding of the Purple Heart regarding the Fort Hood shootings back in 2009 seems strange. I am aware that the Congress changed the rules (no doubt to allow this matter) but it strikes me that such a high medal in a country for being attacked by one man in what is a place of work (and the original reason for not issuing them) was more sensible. So now if a terrorist attacks you a medal is going to be given out and especially a high one? There is absolutely no comparison to those who get these for being in the thick of a battle. I think to have issued these in such a situation is wrong. On a lesser note there was one former solider who turned up in casual trousers and a t-short for the awarding. For goodness sake what a detraction from a high medal. http://news.yahoo.com/survivors-2009-fort-hood-attack-receive-purple-hearts-150314278.html

"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Medal puzzlement

Reply #1
In a world full of problems that one doesn't register with me. I prefer this.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcR6j_JNwQs[/video]

Reply #2

So now if a terrorist attacks you a medal is going to be given out and especially a high one?

Yeah I didn't think so...
Hasn't been only for troops in battle in a long time. Not an especially high medal either.
Dated February 23, 1984, Executive Order 12464, authorized award of the Purple Heart as a result of terrorist attacks, or while serving as part of a peacekeeping force, subsequent to March 28, 1973.

Reply #3
There are certainly more important things in the world.

Reply #4
Well that is one opinion but I couldn't understand why such a well known medal was dished out the way it was and think it is very, very wrong. It should be for soldiers involved in battle not just because a single mental case went ape joining Jihad. Whether you are indifferent to the military is neither here nor there it is meant to be a medal for outstanding valour in combat and this issue is not right at all.As an ex-military man I would have taken it that you would think it a little out of place. To me it is a mistake just because they managed not to get shot they get such a medal?? Surfing off to awards that have nothing to do with the item is pointless.

Reply #5
Of course, Baden-Powell's Boy Scouts had an effect upon you: You'd want Merit Badges!

Howie, those wounded and killed at Ft. Hood were attacked by a terrorist — whose motivation was, long before the "incident," clear: He meant to wage war against the Great Satan.
Unfortunately, the Obama administration (…even more so than the GWB…) was committed to pooh-poohing the threat of jihadists. And (for reasons that remain unclear, to me…) American servicemen on-base are not allowed to carry firearms.
(Say: By your reasoning, then, they were almost perfectly safe! Only 14 of them died… :) )

The Purple Heart is awarded to U.S. military personnel who are wounded or killed as a result of "enemy" action… (John Kerry got one for "fragging" himself — so, I'm not sure the rules have ever been clear-cut: Was he his own or just an enemy of the U.S.? :) )
Major Hassan (the shooter, the nice psychologist assigned to salve the war-weary and prepare the mostly war-ready) had recently been promoted…rather than discharged. Such blatant political correctness (…required by the administration?) should see senior officers court-martialed!
(If the last parenthetical's answer is decidedly Yes, some cabinet members -at least- should also face approbation: From the likes of ISIS, ISIL, AL-Queda and others of the same ilk.)
[Take your time figuring out what that means. But I can't wait forever: If you have to start by learning to understand English… :) So, let me help you: Read it as "They should face dis-approbation from us.
But perhaps not from you. (Would you care to choose sides in that conflict? Something to waffle about, later? :) )
That is, you've chosen your side: Anti-U.S., and you're stuck with it.]

Should the British soldiers wounded or killed in N. Ireland (not so long ago) be considered victims of "work-place" violence? The bus drivers, on 7/7?
You'll have no adequate answers to either of those questions…

Go play with your toy trains.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #6
Well I asked a reasonable question but as happens I get a kid's testy comment from you so here is something else.

With the amount of medals you dish out this only demeans them. One man does the attacking and because others just happened to not be killed they get a medal? Grow up. You are also giving medals to soldiers sitting at a pc screen directing drones to kill innocents. Of those killed the majority have been innocent men, women, children but a guy at a pc gets a medal in a cumfy office? When soldiers have been killed here by Smiley's pals we didn't dish out medals to the rest. As it happens in my comments i was obviously accepting the value of that Purple Heart thing but not now the way rules have been changed to dish them out like presents. And for to turn up dressed like as if on holiday to get one?? Makes a farce of your bloated nationalism which you mistakenly call being patriotism. Instead of trying to swash me you should try and be a bit more aware of your own military shortcoming matters. Purple Hearts given out like that are unbelievable.

Reply #7
Ah, I see what this is about now.

Purple Heart is the most common medal. You don't have to do anything to get it, it's about what happens to you during your service. Won't get to meet the President or be famous for 15 mins. Why anyone could have a problem with that is a kin to a child crying over not getting a second ice cream. It just doesn't matter and probably best to just let them whine until they realize it too. 

Reply #8
With the amount of medals you dish out this only demeans them. One man does the attacking and because others just happened to not be killed they get a medal? Grow up. You are also giving medals to soldiers sitting at a pc screen directing drones to kill innocents.

I didn't do it. Oakdale didn't do it. Ensbb3 didn't do it. We didn't do it! We're innocent!

Let me remind you....

And...
Award-winning Kate was joined by Take That star Gary Barlow, who collected his OBE for services to the entertainment industry and to charity. The mastermind behind the Diamond Jubilee's musical celebration said that he was "absolutely thrilled" to receive his commemoration.

Reply #9
Tut, tut, jimbro what has that to do with it - we are talking about military awards. You really are falling into the desperation stages but suspect you know that. The Queen does not only present military awards she also does presentations in the honours system for "civilians" who have contributed to broader society in other wider ways. So don't misuse on top of excuses - either based on ignorance or a bit of jiggery-pokery on your part. To try and misuse this is a black mark rather than admitting your military awards (which is what we are on about) have been detracted from.

I will make it blunt. The Purple Heart should not have been awarded to soldiers who just happened to be near but kept for those who are on the battlefield. It detracts from the medal altogether. Meantime I will of course being a generous man not blame you but your politicians (I'm so generous to the point of saying "shucks").

Reply #10
You, sir, do Glaswegian a disservice with every post.

Carry on. Smh.

Reply #11
I will make it blunt. The Purple Heart should not have been awarded to soldiers who just happened to be near but kept for those who are on the battlefield. It detracts from the medal altogether. Meantime I will of course being a generous man not blame you but your politicians (I'm so generous to the point of saying "shucks").

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnTWxpTQt4[/video]

Reply #12
Cobblers ensbb3. You if using the grey cells should understand that giving an important bravery medal just because they were not shot is ludicrous. Time after time you ex-colonists fall back on a dance rather than be able to answer even straightforward oddities. Years ago we had an atrocious bombing attack on the Monarch's Household Cavalry whilst on a ceremony where a number were killed. We would not have give top medals just because others were not done in. The Purple heart as i fairly pointed out to my mind has been deflated by the actions taken on giving them out as they were. And again for one recipient to turn up looking as if he was going to the beach was disgraceful and demeaning to that important US medal.

Reply #13
important bravery medal

That's not what it is at all.

With the establishment of the Legion of Merit, by an Act of Congress, the practice of awarding the Purple Heart for meritorious service was discontinued.

Not since WWII-ish. A bit daft on this one, pops. Should of read the link I offered.

Reply #14
I will make it blunt. Most of the time you post out of either ignorance or stupidity, but in this case you are mired in both.
You have no idea what you are talking about and should realise it, admit it, and shut the hell up.

Reply #15
Next, I expect to read of RJ getting his nose out of joint because somebody received a Good Conduct medal "inappropriately". They give the Good Conduct medal to soldiers who keep their noses clean-- nothing special about it. In truth I don't know if that medal is even bothered with anymore-- I know about it because my Dad had one for his service in WW2.

About this incident: Were the recipients of the Purple Heart servicemen? Were they wounded while in service to their country? Did it really matter that much whether it was on a battlefield, or that an enemy agent had gotten into the camp to injure and kill people? (Once one of these jokers gets his mind warped by jihadist drivel he becomes an enemy agent-- just so's you know.) I have a suspicion that the recipients of this medal this time around are honorable recipients, and I for one would not be the one to talk trash against them.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #16
In truth I don't know if [the Good Conduct] medal is even bothered with anymore-- I know about it because my Dad had one for his service in WW2.

I was tempted to quip "It should be, since bad conduct seems so much more prevalent these days…) but I decided not to. Truth be told, I don't think mjm's dad was any less worthy than he intimates, nor that worthy man's contemporaries. But I also don't besmirch the honor of subsequent generations…
Most soldiers learn something through their service. This "good conduct" stuff is usually something they're taught as children, by every-day American parents: Just how it was.
Is it still? In most parts of the country, I think so.

So, Howie, what's your contention? More specifically, what's your problem?
进行 ...

Reply #17
RJ says the medal is detracted.
Everybody else says the medal is detracted.
Congratulations.

Reply #18
Seventy years ago. We forgive him. He's always been a little slow.

Reply #19
I do have to say tt92 you are the most arrogant, conceited, stuck up, pig ignorant, big-headed balloon here. I raised a reasonable subject in this thread but your boorish attitude says much. Indeed the idea was to keep the proper standard up for a battlefield honour. In bashing you only add to the above description I have for you.  You rarely answer even any reasonable stance but instead go ape and spit out venom and sneering nothingness. The very ignorance and stupidity you accuse is so self evident in yourself and never mentally grown up. Whatever your ancestors got sent to a penal colony in Australia for I do not know but if they still had them you would be in one covered in a straight jacket and a gag on your mouth. You know neither how to express an opinion view or debate. If you don't like a subject or an answer you cannot even deliver anything outside of a childish, immature mindset. Don't know how your family created this or your education but both are lacking. Have a break get out the city and into the Outback and chat to the sheep.  :yes:

Reply #20
RJH--- pot calling the kettle black much? Thought so.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #22

I do have to say tt92 you are the most arrogant, conceited, stuck up, pig ignorant, big-headed balloon here.

I am truly honoured.
You have written a simple, coherent declarative sentence at last and I am its subject.

Reply #23
Next assignment, tt92: Teach (prompt or coerce) him to learn proper punctuation… :) He came so close this time that I feel only your "tutelage" will be effective!) Had Nobel lived long enough, there might have been a special prize… :)
进行 ...

Reply #24
You are so wrong there mjsmsprt40!

He never answers properly but is sneeringly arrogant to the point of a laughable nonentity. I can guess his really good reason for it and you can try and be a UN man but you are hardly neutral. I always answer a point whether anyone likes it or not but he doesn't and that is arrogant smugness! That Oakdale is on his bandwagon adds to the laugh too - well the ore the merrier!On a more important note than the dross of the kindergarten reactions here that medal has been diluted and how anyone with any basic respect can say that ceremony was a fine principle needs their head looked. Plus the fact that one recipient turned up without a tie and looking as I said not very smart at all. Another disgrace to that medal.