Skip to main content
Topic: Build 165 has performance problems (Read 3527 times)

Build 165 has performance problems

When surfing sites, sometimes Otter sleeps for a second or two, on sites like Twitter or LiveEdu.tv. Look like problems with multithreading and/or event handling. Build 163 didn't have these problems.

Re: Build 165 has performance problems

Reply #1
@Freeman, can you reproduce that with test-qtwebkit.exe?
Both releases use the same QtWebKit version.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
Reproduced with test-qtwebkit.exe, from Otter build 166. When I open my livestream page with test-qtwebkit, it gives 25% of CPU. Don't know, is this Otter issue or LiveEdu itself, because they recently updated their site. Twitter has no problems with test-qtwebkit.

Reply #3
@Freeman, it's the same QtWebKit as it was in previous builds (all release after beta 12), so that sounds more like change on their site, perhaps they are abusing JavaScript now.
Also note that QtWebKit backend is still limited to single process, but that might change later this year (hopefully we will have option to choose between WebKit and WebKit2).

Reply #4
that sounds more like change on their site, perhaps they are abusing JavaScript now.
I thought same way.

QtWebKit backend is still limited to single process, but that might change later this year
Oh, no! We like Otter because it program, not OS in OS. Browsers like Chrome come near to take dedicated machine for them, like DBMS servers.  :nervous:

Reply #5
@Freeman, don't worry, it's all about having choice, we will keep WebKit (1) flavor as long as possible, since in some cases it's still the best choice.
BTW, there might be some work soon done on bringing back detection of long running scripts that most likely cause your sort of issues.

Reply #6
detection of long running scripts that most likely cause your sort of issues.
I think, this feature can be optional and manually controlled via per-site setting "Run in separate process". Except of LiveEdu, there are some "stubborn" sites -- Ulmart.ru, for example.

BTW, high load no more reproducing on LiveEdu, they changed something...

Reply #7
@Freeman, as of now it appears that it will be simply separate backend, since asynchronous solution require a lot of different paths.

Reply #8
When surfing sites, sometimes Otter sleeps for a second or two, on sites like Twitter
On Twitter, this bug still reproducable with Otter, but I cannot reproduce it with test-qtwebkit. When I typing a tweet, Otter freezes for a second or half. Maybe it reproducable only after long runs, because I'm using hibernate, all programs remain running in weeks. When I restart Otter, it works faster.

Reply #9
@Freeman, I see, it might have something to do with handling of QEvent::ShortcutOverride in QtWebKitWebWidget.cpp, since this code is invoked often while typing-in text.
We could try to debug that if you would be able to rebuild sources...
BTW, it's standard or -xp build?

Reply #11
@Freeman, well, for MSVC builds (revived QtWebKit) it might be indeed a problem, since it requires VS 2015.
Hopefully there will be some MinGW build sooner or later (there were few for testing purposes already).

Reply #12
@Emdek, performance problems remain. Otter became slow from that time, earlier builds were faster. For example, I got a half-second hang typing this message, after @. Is it from JavaScript? I've also get timeouts when clicking on links. 'No response' time is significant, to get doubt, is my click accepted by Otter, and click again.

Reply #13
@Freeman, are you able to reproduce other sorts of issues with test-qtwebkit.exe?
Part of these sounds like infamous and elusive error 301.

BTW, we could try to debug it remotely using IRC, maybe I will be able to provide some special build for debugging.

Reply #14
@Emdek, tried test-qtwebkit a little. Looks like same performance (slow) as in Otter.

Reply #15
@Freeman, uhm, could you check Qt version used by weekly 164? Maybe it's side effect of moving to Qt 5.8 or some change in QtWebKit, which was updated at the same time.