Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 330895 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #875
I think it is too serious of a problem in a gun mad country to be laughed at.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #876
I've been an advocate of closing the border with Alabama for years.

Reply #877

I've been an advocate of closing the border with Alabama for years.

Wondering what Alabama was famous for I came across this site which informed me that Alabama has a monument for "Boll Weevils" and, the rather odd claim that:

"Alabama's mean elevation is 500 feet at its lowest elevation point."

Yup - it's time for the Alabama Wall to be built.

Reply #878
Actually, its lowest point was George Wallace. The boll weevil was its highest point.

Alabama along with Texas and Mississippi should have their borders closed and/or be given to Canada or Mexico.

During his inaugural address in 1963, the then Alabama governor, George Wallace, took to the steps of the state capitol and made a promise. Standing on the spot where Jefferson Davis had declared an independent southern confederacy just over 100 years before, he pledged: "In the name of the greatest people that ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny and I say: Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation for ever."

Reply #879
I'd make it Me-hee-co being a land of crazies.

Actually I remember that governor and that attitude which was something else.

Reply #880

Given the recent spate of toddler rampage, it is clear that the only way to stop a bad toddler with a gun is a good toddler with a gun. Thus this proposed Alabama law does not go far enough: New Alabama Law Will Allow Children To Have Handguns

This isn't anything new, & is being posted IMHO simply for it's shock value to those outside the USA who are/were unaware.

Here in the USA it's not significant. 

In 30 states, a child can still legally own a rifle or shotgun

The minimum age in Vermont has been 16 for a while regarding handguns.

How are they doin'?    Any "toddler" rampages??   

Minimum Age for Possessing and Transporting of Handguns.

Vermont 16 Y/O  (See State and Federal Code) Title 13, Chapter 85, § 4007 and § 4008 This is the minimum age for possessing and transporting a handgun unloaded and secured in a vehicle without any type of permit/license to carry firearms.

§ 4007. Furnishing firearms to children
A person, firm or corporation, other than a parent or guardian, who sells or furnishes to a minor under the age of 16 years a firearm or other dangerous weapon or ammunition for firearms shall be fined not more than $50.00 nor less than $10.00. This section shall not apply to an instructor or teacher who furnishes firearms to pupils for instruction and drill.

§ 4008. Possession of firearms by children
A child under the age of 16 years shall not, without the consent of his or her parents or guardian, have in his or her possession or control a pistol or revolver constructed or designed for the use of gunpowder or other explosive substance with leaden ball or shot. A child who violates a provision of this section shall be deemed a delinquent child under the provisions of chapter 52 of Title 33.

Reply #881
My dad gave my son his .22 rifle on his 12th birthday. Shotgun or a rifle are one thing. I'm not so meh regarding pistols.

Reply #882
Pssssst....keep this unda yer hat.........they're not for walk around concealed carry, it's for school safety training, shooting instruction, & sports competition, but hey I like watchin' all the foreigners squirm thinkin' lil kids are playin' cowboys & Indians with legal pistols, & the Country's  awash in "Toddler" Rampages & Shoot em ups!

Reply #883
Talk about nut job land with even children in on the cowboy freakery. Safety for school/ What a terrible admission that one is and anyway doesn't help with school shootings being so frequent. Brought it on yourselves. You don't have to make head shaking incidents they are part of society.

Reply #884
I don't think we should allow RJHowie to be armed. Just sayin'.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #885
I think you are right.
Look at the mess he makes with a simple keyboard.

Reply #886

My dad gave my son his .22 rifle on his 12th birthday. Shotgun or a rifle are one thing. I'm not so meh regarding pistols.

I was about 12 when one of my uncles allowed/insisted that several of us kids should have a round of shooting at an oil can. This was back in the days when oil was sold in quart cans, this one was empty so there was little danger of spillage. The site chosen was farm field, sandy soil, nothing to hit for miles in back of the target. The weapon was a .22 rifle.

I must say, the safest place to stand-- other than behind the firing line, my uncle was strict about safety-- would have been in front of the target. I doubt that a single bullet connected with the oil can that day. I know for certain none of my shots did. In my defense for my poor shooting, then as now my left eye was useless so the binocular vision that most folk have is something I've never had. Further-- it's not as easy as one would think to hold the gun steady while shooting. You tend to wander a bit--- which is one reason why supporting the barrel on legs is such a great idea. I would imagine that with practice and proper training--- an hour or so shooting an oil can is not proper training-- I might have gotten at least respectable at it.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #887
I was fourteen and had a Benjamin pump-up air gun. It was less powerful than a .22 but not by much. It would kill a rabbit at a realistic range and I think I remember that I got threepence a pair for the skins. Back then threepence would buy three newspapers, three phone calls, or a pie.
The rabbit meat was valueless. Ammunition for a .22 was fairly expensive. Even a dead-shot (as I was) wouldn't make much profit using a .22.
I bought the wrong gun because I didn't know any better. We went to L.A. when I was eleven, and I sold papers on the corner of Seventh and Alvarado for more than two years, saved all the money, and spent up big before we went home. When we left Australia the war was not long gone and almost everything was in short supply. I had never seen a rifled airgun or any ammunition other than BBs. When I got home with my Benjamin, its smooth, tiny bore was a bit of a joke. The locally made, rifled pump-guns with their waisted lead pellets were more accurate and more powerful. I brought home some model aircraft engines, only to find that the locally made models were better and cheaper. I did, however, bring home enough money to buy a good quality bicycle.
I didn't like anything about L.A.

Reply #888
I've mentioned before -but since we're relating bone fides- I'll remind all that I grew up in the city and, so, never touched a rifle before I got to the firing range at Lackland AFB, during Basic Training.
I did qualify on the M-16 (but maintain, to this day, that the guys on either side of me must have been really terrible shots…)! :)

I've had, since, miniscule experience with handguns; both shooting and having them pointed at me. (I have no "extra" holes in me and I've put none in anyone else.)

So, who's next? (Smiley has covered this often enough that most of us could recite his story as well as Archie Goodwin! :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #889

WHERE YOU LIVE DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE . . .
You may have heard on the news about a Southern California man who was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.
By Southern California standards, someone owning 100,000 rounds is considered "mentally unstable."
In Michigan, he'd be called "The last white guy still living in Detroit"
In Arizona, he'd be "an avid gun collector."
In Arkansas, he'd be "a novice gun collector."
In Utah, he'd be "moderately well prepared."
In Kansas, he'd be "A guy down the road you want to have for a friend."
In Montana, he'd be "The neighborhood 'Go-To' guy."
In Idaho, he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate."
In Texas, he'd be called "Tex, the eligible bachelor."
In North Carolina, Virginia, West VA, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky and South Carolina he'd be "a deer hunting buddy."
And in Georgia: he'd just be "Bubba, who's a little short on ammo."

Reply #890

Alabama along with Texas and Mississippi should have their borders closed and/or be given to Canada or Mexico.

I don't think Canada or Mexico would want them :right:

Reply #891
Me either.

Reply #892
Finally, maybe the forgotten Half-Citizens of Washington D.C. might finally regain some of the rights the Anti-Gun oppressive Left stole from them years ago!

[glow=blue,2,300]Second Amendment Enforcement Act of 2015 Introduced [/glow]

Last week, U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and U.S. Representative Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) introduced “The Second Amendment Enforcement Act of 2015” in the U.S. Senate and House respectively.  These bills would restore the fundamental individual right for law-abiding D.C. residents to Keep and Bear Arms to defend themselves in accordance with the law. This bill would also conform D.C. law to federal laws in regards to governing firearms commerce, while also allowing D.C. residents to purchase firearms from licensed dealers in VA and MD, without the current hassle of D.C.’s onerous firearm registration system.  The D.C. permitting system would also become streamlined, allowing for more law-abiding D.C. residents to legally obtain a permit and carry concealed firearms for self-defense.......continued

Reply #893
This thread belies description even for the gun maddest place on Earth. And this is meant to be normal?! This really started on Opera and is still going round in circles. Small wonder sensible ex-colonists get frustrated and give long sighs! The Glasgow subway goes round the central area in a 6 mile loop and this thread is like it.

Reply #894
And this is meant to be normal?!

Course it is. When all Americans listens to SmileyFaze, get armed and start shooting one against the others, the world will be a paradise by the very same reasons SmileyFaze defends.
Let's have hope that happens soon.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #895

This thread belies description..........     

RJ, the beat goes on........................................

[glow=green,2,300]Governor Brownback Signs NRA-Backed Permitless Carry Legislation Into Law[/glow]

Fairfax, Va. – The National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) applauds Kansas Governor Sam Brownback for today signing into law Senate Bill 45, NRA-backed legislation that expands Kansas permitless open carry to included permitless concealed carry. 

"On behalf of the NRA's five-million members, we want to thank Governor Brownback and Senate Majority Leader Terry Bruce for their leadership on this critical issue," said Chris W. Cox, Executive Director of the NRA-ILA. "This new law is a common sense measure that allows law-abiding Kansans to exercise their fundamental right to self-protection in the manner that best suits their needs."

Kansans already have the right to carry a firearm openly without a permit, as long as they are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. However, under current law, if a firearm becomes covered by a coat or if a woman prefers to carry a firearm for protection in her purse, he or she would need a concealed carry handgun license. The new law simply extends permitless open carry to permitless concealed carry, allowing law-abiding gun owners to protect themselves and their loved ones in the manner that best suits their needs. Kansas’ permitting system remains the same under the new law. People who obtain permits still enjoy the reciprocity agreements that Kansas has with other states.

The bill passed the legislature with overwhelming support despite efforts by billionaire Michael Bloomberg's out-of-state gun control lobbyist to defeat the legislation through a misinformation campaign.

In the three states that have adopted permitless carry laws similar to Kansas' law, murder rates have gone down; declining by 23 percent in Alaska, 16 percent in Arizona, and eight percent in Wyoming.

Much to the chagrin of dye in the wool, leftest, Anti-Second Amendment, Anti-Gunners,  both on American soil & abroad, Law Abiding American Citizens are further demanding their rights (that's right RJ, demanding their government act, not ask....or beg as in grovel to a monarch) demanding their Constitutional Rights

Time for Mike Bloomberg, & his leftist ilk to move aside & get out of the way! 

The Second Amendment is being adhered to, & so should it be.

Reply #896
Our gun nuttery conveniently forgets the purpose of the Second Amendment.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

SmileyFaze, what's the name of the well regulated militia that you belong to? We're waiting!

==================================================
At any rate, it's complicated.

States that Prohibit Open Carrying of Handguns
California7
District of Columbia8
Florida9
Illinois10
New York11
South Carolina12
Texas13
States that Require a Permit or License to Openly Carry Handguns
Connecticut14
Georgia15
Hawaii16
Indiana17
Iowa18
Maryland19
Massachusetts20
Minnesota21
New Jersey22
Oklahoma23
Rhode Island24
Tennessee25
Utah26
States that Otherwise Restrict the Open Carrying of Handguns
Alabama27
Alaska28
Arkansas29
Michigan30
Missouri31
North Dakota32
Pennsylvania33
Virginia34
Washington35

http://smartgunlaws.org/open-carrying-policy-summary/

Reply #897
SmileyFaze, what's the name of the well regulated militia that you belong to? We're waiting!

In the 18th Century when the Second Amendment was written, & as the Framers used the term "Militia", it did not mean a National Guard, or any other organized military unit,

it simply meant "The People", all the people, or just one person.

One person is a militia of one.

"The militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, ... all men capable of bearing arms;..."
— "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic", 1788 (either Richard Henry Lee or Melancton Smith).

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
— Tench Coxe, 1788.

What well regulated militia do I belong to you ask?

I am a militia ----  I am the militia, so the militia I belong to is myself.

The word regulated meant trained to a fair level of proficiency back in the 18th Century when the Second Amendment was written, & not as it does today, where today it means controlled by degrees of governmental bureaucracy or other enforcement entity with set down regulatory do's & don'ts.

I was quite well trained in the use of firearms, to a high level of proficiency, therefore by terms used in the 18th Century when the Second Amendment was written, I would be considered a well regulated militia of one.

The statement "......the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." is at the center of every important question posed to & ruled upon by the Supreme Court of the United States,  & also every expert Historical Constitutional entity.

I'll pose you a question now.....

You seem to be alluding to the Militia portion of the Second Amendment as having some sort of substantial importance.

If that's so.....

Where has the Supreme Court ruled on your Militia issue........................if ever?

And if it was, what was their definitive ruling?

Reply #898
Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ...

Wow...I can keep and bear my own Cruise missile--what a wonderful country!! 

I was quite well trained in the use of firearms, to a high level of proficiency, therefore by terms used in the 18th Century when the Second Amendment was written, I would be considered a well regulated militia of one.

I never knew anyone who could shoot down missiles with six-shooters from his own front lawn.  SmileyFaze will save us all...hurray!!!!    :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #899
Silly