Skip to main content
Topic: Anthropogenic Global Warming (Read 199581 times)

Re: Anthropogenic Global Warming

Reply #450
Sooner or later someone will bring up that scientific test where a guy dropped two cannonballs from the Tower of Pisa
And, if someone does, someone else will likely give links documenting the actual experiments that fellow performed!
Just because grammar-school children are told stories doesn't mean we all should accept Just So stories…
Quote from: Midnight Raccoon link=topic=109.msg46045#msg46045 date=1442049226[…
"appreciable" is a vague term. What's appreciable for you might not be for me and vice/versa. Therefore, adjective is meaningless. For the purposes of clarity, I work with absolutes.
Then please explain to me (and who ever others might be interested…) how climatologists take the temperature of the Earth to a tenth of a degree accuracy? :)

I appreciate your problem: Both science and language are sometimes difficult. You find "appreciable" to be a vague term; I find your use of "absolutes" to be vague… You think mere correlation to be an acceptable substitute for causation, and you're willing to ignore contrary evidence — for the sake of your pretty charts — and your political aims. I think science will continue, despite your imprecations. The Pope's also.

@Belfrager: If you think the Pope's authority is efficacious, how do you explain the world's acceptance of abortion-on-demand? :(
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #451
hen please explain to me (and who ever others might be interested…) how climatologists take the temperature of the Earth to a tenth of a degree accuracy?
How can the doctor tell your body temperature within that degree of accuracy? :p Also, it's an average degree of variance from the average as reported from thousands of stations across the global. This means the surprise would be that the result came out a whole number.

You think mere correlation to be an acceptable substitute for causation, and you're willing to ignore contrary evidence — for the sake of your pretty charts — and your political aims. I think science will continue, despite your imprecations.

No, I don't. Let's step out of climatology for just a moment. When hundreds of a scientists in their given field across the globe all come with the same result, even using different methodologies, there might be something to the hypothesis or theory. Meanwhile, as I've said, no alternative hypothesis has held up under the tiniest amount of scrutiny.

Deniers have tried to say it's the sun that caused global warming.

As you can see, solar activity has actually degree decreased even as the Earth's average temperature increased.

There was also that outright lie that global warming stopped in 1998. Graphics I've already presented disprove that.

Some people point the medieval warm period.

That was caused by solar activity. You'll note the temperature anomaly for the current warming trend is greater than in that time period.

I'm not a poor dazed islander confused by cargo planes. If anyone has a cargo cult syndrome, it's the deniers being deceived by their politically motivated articles and blogs that in some case outright lie.

Reply #452
Does this discussion need to continue? If everybody who dares to disagree with you is ignorant, a liar and probably paid by certain cartels (which cartels depends on which side you're on and who is disagreeing with you) then any semblance of intelligent conversation is at an end. It quickly degenerates into a name-calling contest.

I know that I've been openly accused at one time or another of taking money from Big Oil--- which is kinda funny because, if anything, it seems that I pay enough and to spare for gasoline and oil---- and I know that I've seen folk on the other side openly accused of taking money from the Green cartels-- up to and including getting pay from Al Gore to say things. Truth--- most of the people accused of taking money have never taken a dime-- or been offered a dime-- by the big outfits that are supposedly paying for all of this.

Slow down and take a few breaths. Otherwise, the name-calling only makes the person calling names look like a buffoon.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #453
This discussion has been about evaluating the intellect of the contenders, or about the amount of years spent in elementary school by each of them.
It could be - and should be - about whether the amount of current evidences is enough to establish causation in the correlation. This evaluation seems quite subjective so far.
Is there anything objective in that direction?

Reply #454

http://globalwarmingsolved.com/2013/11/summary-global-temperature-changes-of-the-last-millennium/

Graphs are fun. But there's no way you can be that accurate going back centuries... Therefore, there's graphs to support any point you want. May as well go to an island a worship airplanes if you wanna pick one and say it proves anything.

Overwhelmingly there's nothing to show we are destroying the planet. We should limit the release of gases and stop burning the forests. That just makes sense. Changing the composition of the atmosphere does affect climate, ice cores can show that. But any damage done can be undone. This conversation gets old just watching people go at each other over nothing. Nothing meaningful has been said or proved or even hinted at.  

Reply #455
Overwhelmingly there's nothing to show we are destroying the planet.

I'm not saying we will. The planet finds itself a new equilibrium everytime. Species that are unable to adapt to it die off. Given that humanity is a technological species, it's unlikely it will cause it's own extinction through climate change. However, it will make conditions less ideal for human life.
We should limit the release of gases and stop burning the forests. That just makes sense.

At the end of the day, that's all any sensible is saying. In addition, some people like myself note there are new economic opportunities to be had in switching to technologies that reduce emissions.

Now about that link. Yes, obviously there can be flaws in proxies. However, there's little serious scientific doubt that current warming trend is man made. Every climate change event has a cause. It's just that this time the cause is humanity and its emissions.

Reply #456
This discussion […] could be - and should be - about whether the amount of current evidences is enough to establish causation in the correlation. This evaluation seems quite subjective so far.
Is there anything objective in that direction?
I'd pose a question:
Might it be that what most call, in reference to trends, "noise" is actually all that there really is, when we talk about "climate"?

More simply: On what basis do we presume a climate — as opposed to weather?
进行 ...

Reply #457

Overwhelmingly there's nothing to show we are destroying the planet. We should limit the release of gases and stop burning the forests. That just makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense to stop burning the forests. But does it make sense if our burning the forests is doing nothing to destroy the planet? Or is it rather that it makes sense to stop burning the forest because it is destroying the planet? What is the reason why it makes sense to stop burning the forests?

Reply #458
In what way does it make sense to burn the forest? Slash and burn agriculture is very inefficient and depletes the soil and renders it useless for future crops. So it would be a boon to humanity to stop the practice. In addition, the trees reduce soil erosion, supply oxygen and remove CO2 from the atmosphere. Asking why we shouldn't burn the forests is absurd.

Reply #459
However, it will make conditions less ideal for human life.

Which sadly may be the circumstance needed to stop our bad habits. But it can also be what drives the development of the technology needed to actually control this planet and maybe others. If I have to pick a side, I'm in it for the species not the planet... But since we need the planet to be with in a range of habitability to support us all - I'm for that.

But does it make sense if our burning the forests is doing nothing to destroy the planet? Or is it rather that it makes sense to stop burning the forest because it is destroying the planet?

:rolleyes: I'm not going to explain the difference between damage and destroy to you. (Or planet and ecosystem for that matter.)*

If you wanna be some kind of boulder in the river conversations are just gonna flow around you. If you can't or won't understand what I mean by that - that's the problem. If you do, then good job. Do that more often.

Reply #460
Sooner or later the ultimate evidence will need to be realized, there's simply too much people in the world, waisting too much resources at a too much rapid pace. The world is not elastic forever, it breaks.
Fixing it after broken would be the most painful and hardest thing mankind has ever tried and hardly even possible.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #461

Sooner or later the ultimate evidence will need to be realized, there's simply too much people in the world, waisting too much resources at a too much rapid pace. The world is not elastic forever, it breaks.
Fixing it after broken would be the most painful and hardest thing mankind has ever tried and hardly even possible.

Who makes the choice in who lives or dies? You? By the standards you're suggesting, Hitler had the right idea. So did Stalin, and Pol Pot.

Sorry about calling a spade a bloody shovel, but every time I see the argument that there's too many people, the person suggesting thinning the herd never, ever suggests that the thinning should start with themselves (leading by example).
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #462
Every now and then something crosses my transom that makes me wonder if we're dealing with science--- or religion. Specifically, the kind of religion that burns heretics at the stake. The link below, which describes a group of warmist scientists who want to have all skeptics arrested and tried under the RICO act, is such an item that makes you wonder.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/09/some_scientists_want_to_prosecute_global_warming_skeptics_under_the_rico_act.html

Reply #463
"Writing in The New York Times, Felicity Barringer credited American Thinker with initiating a public outcry over a California plan to require programmable thermostats which could be controlled by officials in the event of power supply difficulties." -wiki

Randomly useless thing to be known for. Scanning over the headlines, it's not worth any attention.

No where in the actual letter did they call for arrests.

[..]
The methods of these organizations are quite similar to those used earlier by the tobacco industry.
A RICO investigation (1999 to 2006) played an important role in stopping the tobacco industry
from continuing to deceive the American people about the dangers of smoking. If corporations in
the fossil fuel industry and their supporters are guilty of the misdeeds that have been documented
in books and journal articles, it is imperative that these misdeeds be stopped[..]
(emphasis is mine, of course)

I even went as far as to read some of the papers written by the signers of the letter. Most i read seem to have opinions I agree with that are not alarmist views. 

Quote from:  one at random
The only quantitative for predicting future climate are climate models which include as their central components atmospheric and oceanic General Circulation Models. However, these models involve many assumptions and approximations that are not always appreciated when interpreting their results. -  Kevin Trenberth, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO Source 

For my part. When you start taking political rhetoric at face value you are part of the problem.

Reply #464
When you start taking political rhetoric at face value you are part of the problem.
When the so-called science is so politicized, only a fool would ignore the political rhetoric…

Shouldn't we consider a RICO investigation of the scientists and organizations promoting AGW/Climate Change, for their bizarre calls for de-industrialization and population culling? :) No conservative (or sane conservationist…) would ever ask for such. But so-called environmentalists do, frequently, urge governments to institute a "back to the Stone Age" agenda; and -at the same time- ask for more government funds!
True, the letter didn't out-right call for arrests… But that often happens, when there's no evidence of a crime or malfeasance: A "prosecutor" can apply considerable intimidation. Well, if he's properly motivated.
(Sometimes, properly motivated "prosecutors" end up behind bars, themselves! Be careful what you wish for: You might get it!)

BTW: No one has answered my question! :)
进行 ...

Reply #465
When the so-called science is so politicized, only a fool would ignore the political rhetoric…

You have got to stop watching Fox News. Seriously, it's for your own good. ;)

And no. When you try to polarize every topic that's just how it seems.

Reply #466
I'm not going to explain the difference between damage and destroy to you. (Or planet and ecosystem for that matter.)*

If you wanna be some kind of boulder in the river conversations are just gonna flow around you. If you can't or won't understand what I mean by that - that's the problem. If you do, then good job. Do that more often.

Pardon me for not having grown up in a monoculture where all concepts have been gleichgeschalten so that everybody automatically understands everything the same way. Where I grew up, you either define your terms or your talk is just like a buzzing of the flies.

Edit: You may choose your wordings carefully and know very well what you are talking about and what you mean, but from the point of view of other people, it all remains to be verified.

Sorry about calling a spade a bloody shovel, but every time I see the argument that there's too many people, the person suggesting thinning the herd never, ever suggests that the thinning should start with themselves (leading by example).

Check up ecofascist Pentti Linkola in another thread. He is leading by example, but of course nobody follows such examples.

Reply #467
Who makes the choice in who lives or dies? You? By the standards you're suggesting, Hitler had the right idea. So did Stalin, and Pol Pot.

Very nice, you defend the causes of the problem and then jump as a humanist super hero shocked with its consequences....
Did I said anything about massive killings? stop putting words in my mouth I haven't said, second time.

Environmental and climatic problems are caused by a non sustainable model of development. It could be done with a small percentage of world's population but never with everybody, simple as that.
Either one changes the model or reduces the number of people using it. The bigger the number of world's population the more delicate and sensitive the problem will be.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #468
Pardon me for not having grown up in a monoculture where all concepts have been gleichgeschalten in the minds of people so that everybody automatically understands everything the same way.

Would you please explain this to the little Indian man down at the corner market? I'm tired of asking for a pack of cigarettes too and him handing me two packs.
Where I grew up, you either define your terms or your talk is just like a buzzing of the flies.

They told me to go get a dictionary. It was four miles away at the library. Uphill both ways (there and back to be clear) - in eight inches of snow.

Of course it's easier nowadays. I looked up and translated "gleichgeschalten" in seconds. But then I am willing to try to understand.

Now that we've both wasted more words I guess we can argue semantics. You really really seem to want to and it's better than whatever that was...

But does it make sense if our burning the forests is doing nothing to destroy the planet? Or is it rather that it makes sense to stop burning the forest because it is destroying the planet?

There's so many variables involved that it's best to proceed mindful of what we don't know. This isn't a "if not this then that" scenario.

Using destroy is a political exaggeration. Nothing to get stuck on but I can do better in that regard at least...

There's nothing to suggest that the obvious change we can cause will be a bad thing. Humans were born from climate change.

Reply #469

Would you please explain this to the little Indian man down at the corner market? I'm tired of asking for a pack of cigarettes too and him handing me two packs.

You think he is doing something wrong? Communication is a two-way traffic. Try asking for a pack of cigarettes, not for "too".

Salespeople and accountants have a general tendency to think in terms of numbers and item lists, and they have little clue of other aspects of language. This problem is exponentially exacerbated when the salespeople are foreigners.

Of course it's easier nowadays. I looked up and translated "gleichgeschalten" in seconds. But then I am willing to try to understand.

So you could understand better, I was referring to this. I only know of Russian direct equivalent, not English.

In my experience, there seems to be a curious inverse relation between freedom of speech and capacity of independent thinking. Suppression of free speech tends to motivate people to consider the entire array of possible meanings and associations in what's read or heard. It encourages independent thinking, reading between the lines, and dissent. Of course, "reading between the lines" is immediately next to "reading into the text" and I must apologise for my overinterpretations.

In turn, societies with plenty of free speech breed superficiality, relativism, or formalism. It is a commendable achievement when one manages to maintain personal integrity in such an environment.

There's so many variables involved that it's best to proceed mindful of what we don't know. This isn't a "if not this then that" scenario.

Using destroy is a political exaggeration. Nothing to get stuck on but I can do better in that regard at least...

There's nothing to suggest that the obvious change we can cause will be a bad thing. Humans were born from climate change.

Remember, I was responding to these words, "Overwhelmingly there's nothing to show we are destroying the planet." Your choice of words, not mine. Without further context, it's a bit too easy to disagree, because industrial wasteland is an area on the planet where life has been destroyed and it's obvious to extrapolate from this when industry is growing globally. But when you add that you agree that mankind has a major impact on the ecosystem, I can see your full meaning - in your opinion, ecological concerns are real, but not too urgent. Fair enough.

This topic is of course very complex. An effective solution can only be political, because the solution entails moderation of industry, but since politics is corrupted by corporate industry, it quite likely won't happen in an orderly manner. Anyway, it does no good to politicise the scientific record. The scientific record can stand by itself. When climatology is labelled a Commie cult of environmentalists, there's evidently no willingness to consider the scientific record rationally, to see where the facts are pointing to, analytically apart from what to do about the facts.

Reply #470

"Thinning the herd" is something you would sensibly do by restricting child births like in China, not by actually killing people, except I think it's better to e.g. promote social welfare policies that make people not need or want to have as many children.

Reply #471

You mean liken when GOP politicians take money from ExxonMobile and "skeptical" sites and poor excuses for scientists do the same do the same? (9 out of 10 of them) :) Now invoking RICO on this issue is going too far and I seriously doubt that Obama will pursue this infringement of First Amendment rights, despite the fact that by 1977 Exxon knew that its products would cause climate change. (remember that by natural cycles, we should actually be in a cooling trend)
But so-called environmentalists do, frequently, urge governments to institute a "back to the Stone Age" agenda; and -at the same time- ask for more government funds!

Who?  How many? What percentage does that amount to? You have screwballs in every movement.

Reply #472
You think he is doing something wrong?

No. A joke directed at your monoculture jab.
Communication is a two-way traffic.

Yes. That's what I am saying. If you wanna say it too/also/as well that's fine.
Try asking for a pack of cigarettes, not for "too".

I've got this. Don't worry yourself.
Salespeople and accountants have a general tendency to think in terms of numbers and item lists, and they have little clue of other aspects of language. This problem is exponentially exacerbated when the salespeople are foreigners.

Ugh!
So you could understand better, I was referring to this. I only know of Russian direct equivalent, not English.

I understood fine when I looked it up, thx.
In my experience, there seems to be a curious inverse relation between freedom of speech and capacity of independent thinking. Suppression of free speech tends to motivate people to consider the entire array of possible meanings and associations in what's read or heard. It encourages independent thinking, reading between the lines, and dissent. Of course, "reading between the lines" is immediately next to "reading into the text" and I must apologise for my overinterpretations.

No you seem to get it. You just present the point as if you are telling me what it is when you get it. You may think me and others are idiots and your culture has somehow produced superior thinking but you're wrong. From where I'm sitting you're just another human. 

Remember, I was responding to these words, "Overwhelmingly there's nothing to show we are destroying the planet."

Words followed and preceded that. That's not the only thing I've said so there was context for a critical thinker to find.

Reply #473
You may think me and others are idiots and your culture has somehow produced superior thinking but you're wrong. From where I'm sitting you're just another human.

Thanks for making your perspective clear.

From my point of view, everybody else hopefully represents a world view worth investigating. There's no "just another" about it. My hope is often frustrated. My apologies.

Reply #474

You may think me and others are idiots and your culture has somehow produced superior thinking but you're wrong. From where I'm sitting you're just another human.

Thanks for making your perspective clear.

From my point of view, everybody else hopefully represents a world view worth investigating. There's no "just another" about it. My hope is often frustrated. My apologies.

You see - a very human reaction. But it's not based on thoughtfulness. Your frustration is your own fault. Though, I doubt it exists. That was for dramatic purposes.

What you usually try to do is dissect other views and convolute terminology... Presented in a condescending tone that suggests others are fools because you don't understand. It's very human to not want to admit you're wrong and try to save face by hiding behind obscure meaning. Just as it's human to think you are special.

I am not going to pretend you were asking for any kind of clarity though. 

Pretty sure I'm only in this conversation over a point about polarizing opinions. This quote is a short-sided play [on words]* not an attempt at understanding. A further point I'd make is that polarization of any topic leads to opposition bias. You literally can argue the other side of something because you are against someone else not because it's a valid position.

We are back to square one. If you wanna drop the bullshit we can continue back on topic [That's on both our parts]*.