Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce with Religion (Read 221247 times)

Re: The Awesomesauce with Religion

Reply #700
And when you say telepathy is communication ("by no mode known to our science") and you add nothing else, you are losing how it differs from hypnosis and from mind-reading.

These distinctions are not "provincial". They are central to the matter at hand!
Again, I think it's a language problem: Hypnosis is manipulation of a (possibly) sub-conscious… Mind-reading is (if it's real) is "hearing" the thoughts of others, unbeknownst to them?
The matter at hand is -for the nonce- Sam Harris' scientism: He seldom talks about the statistical massage his fMRIs go through before anyone ever sees them…
[I'm one of the few who'd look and learn… But who cares? :) ]
You don't like to consider the requirements and implications of statistical reasoning, I well know… But you do know that statistical argument cannot yield proof of causality?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #701

Our system of justice is new to this "guilty until proven innocent" style of Justice… You'll forgive me if I'm somewhat behind the curve…

And how did you catch bin Laden and lock all those people away in Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib and wherever? Edit: How was Saddam Hussein proven guilty before the invasion? Who's being naive here?

Hypnosis is manipulation of a (possibly) sub-conscious…

Close enough.

Mind-reading is (if it's real) is "hearing" the thoughts of others, unbeknownst to them?

"Hearing" or "seeing" the thoughts, ideas, emotions, memories, etc. of another  - by the "mind's eye" of the seer. I hope Frenzie is paying attention.

The matter at hand is -for the nonce- Sam Harris' scientism: He seldom talks about the statistical massage his fMRIs go through before anyone ever sees them…
[I'm one of the few who'd look and learn… But who cares? :) ]

In his work titled "The Neural Correlates of Religious and Nonreligious Belief" (see the link a few posts above) he is directly attempting to read a specific message of mental content from people's brainscans.

Edit: The matter at hand is mind-reading on phrenological presuppositions which, I maintain, is a direct result of materialism/physicalism. Of course mainstream neuroscientists (not so sure specifically about Harris) would never admit to be reading minds, but given the definition of mind-reading and given the specific practices and presuppositions of neuroscientists - and putting them together like we put one and one together - the implication is solid and direct.

You don't like to consider the requirements and implications of statistical reasoning, I well know… But you do know that statistical argument cannot yield proof of causality?

This one's close enough to a yawn :zzz:

Reply #702
This one's close enough to a yawn  :zzz:
I'm not sure you understand how prevalent this atrocious abrogation of simple logic is countenanced, my friend!
Were it by high-schoolers or college students, I wouldn't mind so much. But Harris is a PHD in "neuroscience"… (Have you noticed, that attaching "-science" to something makes it scientific? :) )
There are neuroscientists: Neurologists and such. But there is as yet no neuro-science. And those who ignore the statistical nature of fMRI and jump to conclusions that see none of the statistical pitfalls… Well, they don't have my respect; their other wordy works will not take much of my time.

But wasn't it enough, that he rejected free will? (There is, then, no morality…)
———————————————————————————————
You surprised me by posting above your own words… But never mind: You want to know how Saddam was found guilty? How those consigned to Guantanamo were confined? You can't: You can only immolate yourself; you seem to have no other connection with the world…
I hope you don't do that. Be patient, Grasshopper! :)
Would you learn?
进行 ...

Reply #703
My earlier statement was this: "...logically this means that thoughts, memories, dreams, imagination etc. are physically in the brain and neuroscientists, when they study the brain, should be able to directly see those things, i.e. neuroscientists should be mind-readers."

And now I say this: "They scan people's brains to determine whether they are religious or not."

What is unsimilar?

The all-important context is missing.

For example, mind-reading is supposed to not exist, because the mind as a non-physical entity cannot exist, because everything is physical and that's it. However, logically this means that thoughts, memories, dreams, imagination etc. are physically in the brain and neuroscientists, when they study the brain, should be able to directly see those things, i.e. neuroscientists should be mind-readers. Somehow logic, which serves atheists so well otherwise, is lost to them on this point.

Again, you're equivocating two meanings of the term mind reading and seem to think that somehow makes a point. It does not.

Well, this simply shows how little you care about things of the mind. Surely you would laugh me away if I mixed up physical reading and writing, but this is precisely how mind-reading and telepathy differ, and you are insisting we should mix them up. I say that the work of neuroscientists, given their presuppositions, implies mind-reading, and I say mind-reading precisely because this is what I mean, not telepathy.

That is not how I'm familiar with the term. One can telepathically send (speak/write) and telepathically receive (hear/read). The whole is known as telepathy.

"Hearing" or "seeing" the thoughts, ideas, emotions, memories, etc. of other  - by the "mind's eye" of the seer. I hope Frenzie is paying attention.

And typically it is said that this "hearing" or "seeing" occurs through the unconscious telepathic transmission of such thoughts, think micro expressions. In any case, the salient point is that it's non-physical.

Reply #704

Again, you're equivocating two meanings of the term mind reading and seem to think that somehow makes a point. It does not.

Says the guy who also says:

That is not how I'm familiar with the term. One can telepathically send (speak/write) and telepathically receive (hear/read). The whole is known as telepathy.

Seriously, you are equivocating on mind-reading and telepathy. This is not about how you are familiar with the terms. This is about the fact that you are not familiar with the terms and this is why I have to explain them to you. If you were not such an egregious equivocator yourself, you would see a point in what I've been saying.

"Hearing" or "seeing" the thoughts, ideas, emotions, memories, etc. of other  - by the "mind's eye" of the seer. I hope Frenzie is paying attention.

And typically it is said that this "hearing" or "seeing" occurs through the unconscious telepathic transmission of such thoughts, think micro expressions. In any case, the salient point is that it's non-physical.

No. The salient point is that what's being read is really what the other one thinks, as distinguished from what he says he thinks or thinks he thinks.

You are equivocating on two important points and this ruins everything.

But wasn't it enough, that he rejected free will? (There is, then, no morality…)

Given no free will, there remains morality a la Sam Harris. (Don't let this take up much of your valuable time.)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww[/video]

Reply #705
Given no free will, there remains morality a la Sam Harris. (Don't let this take up much of your valuable time.)
You didn't manage to actually post the link… [OK: Now you did.] But that's OK; I won't spend my time listening to Sam Harris! :)
Scientism is not something that interests me… (He doesn't even understand the statistics before his hypotheses… Why would I listen to him?)

The salient point is that what's being read is really what the other one thinks, as distinguished from what he says he thinks or thinks he thinks.
That was the point of the science fiction I'd read 50 years ago… That lying was no longer possible, that any prevarication was precluded… Mind meets mind, and there are no barriers! That is the kind of psi-fiction I grew up with. (Your society, ersi, wouldn't even admit the possibility… But I think Frensie's would…) Why do you make it a philosophical debate?
I really do wonder…
进行 ...

Reply #706
The salient point is that what's being read is really what the other one thinks, as distinguished from what he says he thinks or thinks he thinks.
You're very new to Science Fiction, aren't you?
I suspect the Soviet influence is responsible. But there's much Soviet science fiction that is very good… (It was smuggled out.)
Read some Alfred Bester stories… He'll open your mind!
进行 ...

Reply #707

That was the point of the science fiction I'd read 50 years ago… That lying was no longer possible, that any prevarication was precluded… Mind meets mind, and there are no barriers! That is the kind of psi-fiction I grew up with. (Your society, ersi, wouldn't even admit the possibility… But I think Frensie's would…) Why do you make it a philosophical debate?
I really do wonder…

Simple: It's not an abstract debate to me, but concrete, from personal experience. And I'm familiar with the science fiction too, even though it's not my fav genre. I've mentioned Lem's Solaris, for instance.

Anyway, Wikipedia to the rescue in the debate between me and Frenzie:

Mind reading may refer to:

• Telepathy, the transfer of information between individuals by means other than the five senses

• The illusion of telepathy in the performing art of mentalism

• Thought identification, the use of neuroimaging techniques to read human minds

• In cognitive-behavioral therapy, mind-reading is considered a common cognitive distortion or cognitive error that usually contributes to irrational thinking. The concept runs counter to evolutionary psychology.

I can see now why you called it a language problem, Oakdale. Telepathy is categorised here as a kind of mind-reading. (English keeps getting worse as I get more familiar with it. And I don't mean my English.) Anyway, I have been clear all along that I emphatically am not referring to telepathy and let's respect that, shall we.

I am referring to the third thing, thought identification. And, to my (big!) surprise, it's given neuroscientific legitimacy by Wikipedia. I accused the physicalist kind of mind-reading of phrenology, yet Wikipedia apparently sees no problem with this.

Behind the link to thought identification, the first sentence reads without any ambiguity, "Thought identification refers to the empirically verified use of technology to, in some sense, read people's minds." See this, Frenzie? It's empirical! (What's the world coming to...)

Edit: So, I take away two lessons from Wikipedia:

• There's a distinction between telepathy and thought identification. I meant thought identification all along. Wikipedia even gives neuroscientific legitimacy to thought identification, so this is not a point to dispute. Further, let's remember that I accuse the mind-reading neuroscientific presuppositions, assumptions, presumptions, and practices of the phrenologist fallacies.

• Wikipedia rejects Frenzie's salient point and stands by my salient point (the phrase in bold above). Let's call my salient point "the lie/truth-detector function" in mind-reading. It's inseparable from what I mean by mind-reading.

Admittedly, Oakdale has been right when he said there was a language problem. Everything that's been clarified now, I took it all to be integral to mind-reading. Mind-reading is a specific concept to me and includes everything precisely the way that has been clarified now. I mistakenly assumed it's all plain obvious to everybody, but alas, it seems that to everybody else it's some vague nonsense not to be bothered with in detail.

Hopefully the clarifications stick, because my original point was really not about the definition of mind-reading. It was about what kind of mind-readers neuroscientists must logically be, if the physicalist/materialist thesis is taken to be true. In fact, Wikipedia is here saying unabashedly that neuroscience is ("in some sense") mind-reading, so we are not talking about a vague assumption or a logical inference any more, but about a peer-reviewed admission.

Reply #708
Seriously, you are equivocating on mind-reading and telepathy. This is not about how you are familiar with the terms. This is about the fact that you are not familiar with the terms and this is why I have to explain them to you.

I understand Frenzie's comment, telepathy it's widely understood as a possible (if it exists...) form of communication , therefore it has someone acting as an emitter and someone acting as a receiver so message can be transmitted between the two.

Both people have a fundamental role at telepathy, both must be at the same "wavelength" while mind-reading is seen as an intrusive form of "entering" someone's mind regardless the person's will. Hardly mind-reading can be considered a form or a particular case of telepathy. I think it's more correct to separate them, maybe they can be seen as distant cousins but never as brothers.

Now, the juicy part, phrenology. Long time I see no one referring to phrenology (I think most people don't have any idea what is it about).
Phrenology was very developed by the end of the nineteen century, namely by Germans, as a "scientific" way of identifying individual and, specially, racial characteristics based on the external shape of the skull.

By subjecting non physical properties and characteristics to a physical dimension -the shape of the head, it remembers indeed the pretense neuro science's "advances" today about reducing the soul and spirit to a matter of electrical circuits.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #709
Hey, I just noticed, re-reading this stuff:

Your false equivocation of telepathy and thought identification through neuroimaging says nothing of interest...

(Emphasis mine.) Frenzie used the correct term in the very beginning! But I was not familiar with it and got puzzled about his accusation. Anyway, in the end, it was not me who did the equivocation. Wikipedia plainly says that neuroscientific thought identification is mind-reading - and this is what I had meant all along.

And, Belfrager, the juicy part is that Frenzie - evidently familiar with the term earlier and knowing what it's about - fails to see (or at least fails to acknowledge) the connection to phrenology along with its embarrassing implications. This is quite a discovery :)

But no worries, even Wikipedia sees no problem with this, so it's safe to say the era of NWO has definitely begun. People's minds have already been properly adjusted to suit the tides.

Reply #710
And, Belfrager, the juicy part is that Frenzie - evidently familiar with the term earlier and knowing what it's about - fails to see (or at least fails to acknowledge) the connection to phrenology along with its embarrassing implications. This is quite a discovery  :)

Telepathy and thought identification both remain firmly within the realm of science fiction. It's rather modern neuroscience that quite obviously shares some assumptions with phrenology. Assumptions which are proved every day through successful brain surgeries that weren't possible as recently as a decade ago, I might add.

Reply #711

It's rather modern neuroscience that quite obviously shares some assumptions with phrenology. Assumptions which are proved every day through successful brain surgeries that weren't possible as recently as a decade ago, I might add.

And how do you relate to those assumptions? Guilty or no contest?

Reply #712
And, Belfrager, the juicy part is that Frenzie - evidently familiar with the term earlier and knowing what it's about - fails to see (or at least fails to acknowledge) the connection to phrenology along with its embarrassing implications. This is quite a discovery  :)

Maybe a discovery for you, Frenzie fails to see many things but he also see many others.
Not someone that I would chose for amusing myself.
Let's be calm.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #713

Maybe a discovery for you, Frenzie fails to see many things but he also see many others.
Not someone that I would chose for amusing myself.

It's easy to see for oneself what one sees, but very hard to see what one does not see. When one suddenly sees what one hitherto did not see, this is a discovery. I did not earlier see properly that which Frenzie does not see, because he's otherwise a very bright guy who sees a lot, so it's really really hard to find out the things he does not see.

Discoveries are serious stuff. I don't see the connection to amusement here. (Hmm, looks like I found again something I don't see.)

Here's another thing I just discovered and did not see before:

Preaching to the Converted

I’ve never understood the appeal of preaching to the converted. What’s the point? Why bother bashing believers in ghosts, homeopathy and Allah or non-believers in global warming, childhood vaccines and evolution in ways that cannot persuade but only annoy those who don’t pre-agree with you?

So, here's a guy who thinks that you should preach only to those who pre-agree with you, because others can only be annoyed by it and that's not nice. He thinks that "preaching to the converted" means preaching to those converted to something else than oneself is preaching about. This is how he means he "never understood the appeal of preaching to the converted".

This is an example of a language problem with someone who is native to the language. Plus an attitude problem - avoidance of dissenting ideas. Maybe this is amusing to you, but to me discoveries like this are serious stuff.

Reply #714
And how do you relate to those assumptions? Guilty or no contest?

I wouldn't call the connection between the brain and the faculties of the mind an assumption, especially in a post-Broca world. Like I said, the astounding success of modern brain surgeries (like the removal of brain tumors) depends on it. Whatever assumptions an individual like Sam Harris might have beyond that probably isn't neuroscience, but metaphysics. Don't get me wrong, many neuroscientists write books about their metaphysics — but the ones I've read make it pretty clear they're philosophizing, not broadcasting neuroscientific fact. Do keep in mind the divide between American and European style. Americans (presumably including Harris) tend to state things with less nuance, especially in titles and summaries. (Or maybe it's American editors? Either way.) From our perspective that often sounds outrageous and the middle of the text usually paints a very different picture. Although when I say "our" I suppose I have no idea if and to what extent that includes eastern Europe.

So, here's a guy who thinks that you should preach only to those who pre-agree with you, because others can only be annoyed by it and that's not nice. He thinks that "preaching to the converted" means preaching to those converted to something else than oneself is preaching about. This is how he means he "never understood the appeal of preaching to the converted".

I can't read it (paywall), but besides disagreeing wholeheartedly with the premise that sounds like an oddly contradictory opinion piece. Isn't he preaching to those converted to preaching?

Reply #715

I wouldn't call the connection between the brain and the faculties of the mind an assumption, especially in a post-Broca world.

What would you call it then? You would call it a fact, right? Don't be shy :)

Like I said, the astounding success of modern brain surgeries (like the removal of brain tumors) depends on it.

Depends on what? On the assumption or on the fact?

To me it looks like you presume that when you call it "astounding success" (without caring too much about the standard by which you are calling it success), you take it as a given that it is a definite fact too. Whereas in my opinion, yes, brain surgeries work, but then sometimes they don't. Basically, the surgeons don't know about anything else that could work better, and this is why we depend on those surgeries.

(Don't get me wrong. I have been subjected to neurosurgery myself because I had to be fixed up after a dead serious car crash, and the surgery turned out successful, so I have deepest respect for the expertise of these people. It's just that I don't build my metaphysics on accidents. I build it on principles.)

Here's my view of the relationship of the mind and the brain. It's like with any other sense and sensory organ. For example vision (which is the sense) and the eye (which is the organ). The sense and the organ are distinct, must be because the loss of the organ is not loss of the sense.

For example, blind people see dreams. This is particularly indisputable when they lost their sight late in life, but even some of those who are born blind see dreams - as in have definitely visual experience. On physicalist assumptions (according to which the organ is the sense or at least that the organ - both physically and metaphysically - precedes the sense), this should not be possible at all, yet it is. So, blind people don't have the organ of vision, yet they have the sense of vision.

A direct corollary to this fact is that the sense of vision is not located in the eye. And I take this to be an overall principle: No sense is physically located in the corresponding organ. Each sense is distinct from the organ. When applied consistently, it follows that also so-called mental processes are definitely not brain processes. To equate the mind with the brain is the phrenologist fallacy.

According to the phrenologist presuppositions, the loss of the organ should be an irrecoverable loss of the corresponding sense. Damaged people have been intensely examined to determine to which extent this assumption applies. The results show inconsistency. The majority of the cases seem to support the phrenologist presuppositions, but then there are some "miracles" (neurosurgeons use this word every now and then, because really no other word applies better) where the functions of the lost organs or parts of the organs are overtaken by other parts of the organism. Now, let's emphasise again that this should absolutely not be possible on phrenologist presuppositions, because according to them the organ is the sense, i.e. the sense is physically in that very organ, and therefore the loss of the organ should mean irrecoverable loss of the sense. The problem here is that there are counterexamples to this even in case of rather severe brain injuries.

Now, what accounts for the so-called miracles? Is it the strength of the organ? Cannot be when the organ was lost. I say that miracles like this depend on the strength of the individual mind - the mind being the centralmost sense which makes up the human being, not the organ (a.k.a brain).

The senses are not physical or physiological. They are psychological or psychic. Logic pertains to the mind, to the intellect. Physical facts don't trump logic. Logic always trumps physical facts. Physical facts reveal accidents only, wheras logic reveals principles, such as causality, correspondence, identity, similarity, opposites, etc. Facts don't organise themselves. Logic organises facts. Sure enough, physical facts or delusions may drown a weak mind, but a strong mind can work miracles - and does.

Americans (presumably including Harris) tend to state things with less nuance, especially in titles and summaries. (Or maybe it's American editors? Either way.)

Come on, you have seen his speeches. He is doing it to himself. And he is very likely specifically seeking out editors who reinforce what he already is.

From our perspective that often sounds outrageous and the middle of the text usually paints a very different picture. Although when I say "our" I suppose I have no idea if and to what extent that includes eastern Europe.

While typing out my little view of the relationship of the mind and the brain, I googled for some cases where physicians say "miracle". I can confirm that they say it here too in a similar way as reported in Western media.

I can't read it (paywall), but besides disagreeing wholeheartedly with the premise that sounds like an oddly contradictory opinion piece.

Neither can I get past the paywall. But the visible bit was so telling that I don't even want to see more.

Reply #716
Facts don't organise themselves. Logic organises facts. Sure enough, physical facts or delusions may drown a weak mind, but a strong mind can work miracles - and does.

Weak and strong (minds)... as a result of Logic. I don't agree, I think it's reductionist because it takes in no consideration Will. Will it's no part of Logic, it has it's own mechanisms and probably nature (which are hard, very hard to identify) and it's certainly a most (the most?) important part of mind.

Then, there's emotions. Emotions can eliminate facts, play with facts and even create facts much more than logic.
We're entering unstable terrains. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #717

Facts don't organise themselves. Logic organises facts. Sure enough, physical facts or delusions may drown a weak mind, but a strong mind can work miracles - and does.

Weak and strong (minds)... as a result of Logic. I don't agree, I think it's reductionist because it takes in no consideration Will. Will it's no part of Logic, it has it's own mechanisms and probably nature (which are hard, very hard to identify) and it's certainly a most (the most?) important part of mind.

Then, there's emotions. Emotions can eliminate facts, play with facts and even create facts much more than logic.
We're entering unstable terrains. :)

All true. I don't disagree with anything you say. Strong will and strong emotions are often called strong mind and strong personality. Rightly so, because they lead to corresponding victories.

However, these victories are of temporary value only, because will and emotion aspire precisely victory, power over something else, like waves that attempt to conquer land. Whereas logic (intellect) aspires permanent values, everlasting balance. The mode of perfected intellect is steady light.

When a shadow arises, light will notice flickering and will aspire steadiness again. Just that.

As the good book says, "Teh lite iz pwns teh darks, but teh darks iz liek "Wtf.""

Reply #718
Here's my view of the relationship of the mind and the brain. It's like with any other sense and sensory organ. For example vision (which is the sense) and the eye (which is the organ). The sense and the organ are distinct, must be because the loss of the organ is not loss of the sense.

Tell that to someone born blind. No eyes, no sense of vision.

Reply #719
This just in from CNN...sort of.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6w3zp-dYY[/video]
Those damned English atheists!

Reply #721
Scary, isn't it?

Reply #722
The same start alec self aggrandisement thinking is rather selective. They go out to attack Christianity and show how free they are to do it. However they are as open-minded as a certified idiot. They don't exercise their wonderful liberal smugness regarding religion when it comes to Islam do they? And why - because they know they would be harried, lives threatened and all hell let loose.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #723

The same start alec self aggrandisement thinking is rather selective. They go out to attack Christianity and show how free they are to do it. However they are as open-minded as a certified idiot. They don't exercise their wonderful liberal smugness regarding religion when it comes to Islam do they? And why - because they know they would be harried, lives threatened and all hell let loose.

Pretty good reasons in my book - you think Christians should do the same - they already have.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #724
Good news from Saudi Arabia! Women are now allowed to drive.