Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce with Religion (Read 221256 times)

Re: The Awesomesauce with Religion

Reply #625

Religion seems to be a necessity for humankind.
Take it away and we are lost.
I think this is the only possible explanation for Kardashianism.

We love Papal delegate Kardashian!

But this one just in on the wonders of religious deviants is a bit of a stunner. Buddhists are advertised as a benign lot, so how did this guy get a Buddhist license?

Myanmar's government is investigating a speech by a Buddhist monk in which he called a UN rapporteur a "whore".

South Korean rapporteur Yanghee Lee was in Myanmar last week to highlight the plight of its Muslim minority.

But at a protest against the visit, monk Ashin Wirathu told Ms Lee she should have sex with Muslim Rohingya minority if she liked them so much.

The monk is a Buddhist nationalist who spent almost a decade in jail for inciting anti-Muslim violence.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30911124?OCID=twitterasia

Reply #626

But this one just in on the wonders of religious deviants is a bit of a stunner. Buddhists are advertised as a benign lot, so how did this guy get a Buddhist license?

He got a Buddhist license the same way as people get a Catholic license in Italy - by birth. And then he upgraded it by becoming a monk, which in a Buddhist country means the equivalent of a priest or bishop etc. A career cleric.

Buddhism is as rich as Catholicism. Otherwise it would not be able to serve as state religion in any country. On the surface, I am not able to distinguish Tibetan Buddhism from Latin American Catholicism. Like Catholics, Buddhists have a clerical hierarchy, monasteries, libraries, evangelism, pilgrims, miracles, holy statues, prayer beads, etc. The only difference compared to Catholics seems to be that Buddhist scriptures are thicker and more fun to read. Except when you are a Theravadin, then you will have to read it in Pali and that's not funny.

Reply #629
Tacky graven images and as bad as so-called holy relics (groan).
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #630
as people get a Catholic license in Italy - by birth

You don't get a Catholic "license" by birth, you turn Catholic by baptism.
That's strictly speaking of course, you turn effectively Catholic by mind and heart, that's enough.
The only difference compared to Catholics

The "only" difference?
There's an entire world of difference between.

There is however a parallelism between Catholic mystics and Oriental faith.
Tired of seeing western young people directing to the Himalayas or to some Buddhist monastery just because of their ignorance about the traditional Catholic way of approaching mysticism (I agree that's a bit the Church's fault, not presenting such way more often) a group of Monks wrote several books with great success.
I let you the information about in case you are interested.
Centering prayer is a popular method of contemplative prayer or Christian meditation, placing a strong emphasis on interior silence.

Though most authors trace its roots to the contemplative prayer of the Desert Fathers of early Christian monasticism, to the Lectio Divina tradition of Benedictine monasticism, and to works like The Cloud of Unknowing and the writings of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross, its origins as part of the "Centering Prayer" movement in modern Catholicism and Christianity can be traced to several books published by three Trappist monks of St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts in the 1970s: Fr. William Meninger, Fr. M. Basil Pennington and Abbot Thomas Keating.[1]

You'll see a gigantic difference between Catholic and Buddhist's way. Buddhists seeks emptiness, detachment, Catholics seeks inner space to be fulfilled, direct contact.
Catholic statues are remarkably tortured.

Do you know any art masterpiece representing a fat happy Buddha? I don't.
And you are forgetting all the Catholic statues destroyed, vandalized and profaned by the protestants. Maye those were smiling images that irritated the protestants,  who knows... :)

Edit: The reason you see tortured, suffering images so often it's because there's no more sacred statuary made these days.
Old statues corresponds to the old theology of Suffering, not to the actual theology of Redemption.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #631

Do you know any art masterpiece representing a fat happy Buddha? I don't.

I don't know either, but this statue in Vietnam is totally masterpiece according to the locals.

Reply #632
You'll see a gigantic difference between Catholic and Buddhist's way. Buddhists seeks emptiness, detachment, Catholics seeks inner space to be fulfilled, direct contact.

I come from a family of Catholics and was one once, and I'm married to one. Talking about what Catholics seek is meaningless blather. If you tell me what you seek, that's another matter because I'll accept that as a personal statement. You have little knowledge of what distant Catholics think about, religiously or otherwise.

Reply #633
I come from a family of Catholics and was one once, and I'm married to one. Talking about what Catholics seek is meaningless blather. If you tell me what you seek, that's another matter because I'll accept that as a personal statement. You have little knowledge of what distant Catholics think about, religiously or otherwise.

I was speaking about the mystic way as you should know if you had actually read my post.
The Trappist monks I referred to are all of them Americans. That must qualify them as "distant" Catholics.

Do you know what "Catholic" word means? Universal. There are no "distant" Catholics, just distant Saxons.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #634
Well now in principle I don't have a problem with the word 'Catholic' and I knew from being young that the word does mean universal so nothing new there. In my Presbyterian background i Protestantism (hooray!), we had aservice involvement using the words 'Catholic church' as being different from R. Catholic.

Years ago I had a supervisor in my job who was an RC and she asked me why in chats I never just said "Catholic" and explained why which was something new to her. Later when she was being bounced about by an atheist who had joined the department she fell back on this pride of the Reformation Prot for help and being a reasonable chap, rescued her.  8)

Reply #635
Religion has survived for more than 100,000 years and it exists in every culture today.  It may actually have been selective in nature going all the way back to when humans lived and worked together in small bands or groups.  Those bands which held a common belief in something, such as an idol or higher power, worked together, thrived and went on to reproduce hardier people more plentifully. 

Religion may also simply be a byproduct of the way the human mind works, stemming from our cognitive tendencies to seek order from apparent chaos.  Our early primitive and ignorant minds could't explain anything in our new environment.  From weather, to natural disasters, to birth and to death--it was all confusion to a mind which for the first time on Earth was trying to reason and make sense of things.  The simplest and quickest way to make sense of all this chaos (and survive), was to simply attribute it to an unknown entity more powerful than ourselves and then in deference to that power (or seemingly to save our ass), bow down to that power. 

If we’re on the right track with this byproduct idea--and the findings are getting stronger--then in today's scientific world, religion is more than just a bit pathological for the unbiased (uninfluenced), and roundly educated human mind to consider.  I wouldn't say religion is a wholly malignant social force, however, it does encourage irrational thinking and primitive ritualistic behavior (not to mention terrorizing behavior); rather, I see religion today on the same par as the human appendix--once necessary--but no longer essential and causing more harm than is good for us.   :knight:  :cheers:

James J

Reply #636
Marriage is between husband and wife.

Hardly. Marriage is of the state and more a commitment of partners to one another than for mating. Mating is a basic human instinct and requires no formal commitment.  

Reply #639
Cultured, yet amusing.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #640
Ma'am? I'm with the fire department. We got an emergency call and you're entirely too hot to be in here. Those jeans are without a doubt a fire hazard. I'm gonna have to ask you to come with me and take those off.  :knight:  :cheers:

Reply #642

Ma'am? I'm with the fire department. We got an emergency call and you're entirely too hot to be in here. Those jeans are without a doubt a fire hazard. I'm gonna have to ask you to come with me and take those off.  :knight:  :cheers:

:lol: :lol:

Reply #643
Once again a thread has drifted away from the subject.

There seems to be a swelling tide of religious intolerance, hence...
http://www.worldmag.com/2014/05/u_s_government_worldwide_religious_intolerance_growing
...and...
http://www.voanews.com/content/report--religious-intolerance-grows-worldwide-97585924/120911.html
...and...
http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/1305/130522-religious_freedom.html

My guess is that it can be found everywhere. Although it's not new, it is alarming.

You might want to scan a recent Pew report, which is available here...
http://www.pewforum.org/2014/01/14/religious-hostilities-reach-six-year-high/

Reply #644
I will have to i say there is far more inherent mysticism in your Roman corner than the simplicity of Protestantism. Prayer beads copied from ocal pagan religions, bishops with poket hats an idea got from Babylon, sacrificing Christ on "altars" , statues that cru others that are kissed, and so on. By jingo that is just the introductions!

Reply #645

I will have to i say there is far more inherent mysticism in your Roman corner than the simplicity of Protestantism. Prayer beads copied from ocal pagan religions, bishops with poket hats an idea got from Babylon, sacrificing Christ on "altars" , statues that cru others that are kissed, and so on. By jingo that is just the introductions!

My Roman corner?!? I have no Roman corner.

Frankly, sir, it's all a bucket of muck, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Taoism, animism, and Aboriginal Dreamtime.

Do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead? Walked on water? Turned water into Irn Bru?

Reply #646
You need to get out of that chair more jimbro. Religion with heavy rituals is a put off hence the simple and to the point Protestant Reformation. Years ago many of the old Communist Party here were originally RC's which was an interesting tell tale. Interestingly too many of your mindset who dream of things like space and all that goes with it in fact most of the time are following theories but of course that is different! Slag off what you like but being a stalwart Glasgow Presbyterian I will wipe it off and sip my (diet) Irn Bru while you languish away. Mind you coming from a place where religion is like a show and so aw-----e (groan) make allowances for you.:P

Reply #647
Years ago many of the old Communist Party here were originally RC's which was an interesting tell tale.

That's a lie. Never, ever, a Catholic is a communist. Protestants and Jews are who invented communism. Then, atheists took over from the idiots who created it.
Cappice, man in skirts?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #648
You have jumped too son Belfrager. Read what I said AGAIN please. I did not say Communists who were RC's but they had come from that background so I didn't lie. One of them was for a time the leader of the Miners Union here in Scotland when I was young. Thankfully he and his party are long gone!

My comment jimbro touches on the Roman corner as you came from it too like the Communists here did!

Reply #649
I did not say Communists who were RC's but they had come from that background so I didn't lie.

Someday you'll explain me what means "not to be a Catholic but had come from Catholic background". What's that Catholic background that produces Communist like a factory production?

Saint John Paul II destroyed the Communist empire, you can thank him.
A matter of attitude.