Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce with Religion (Read 221556 times)

Re: The Awesomesauce with Religion

Reply #226
Actually, the largest Christian denomination in America is Catholicism.

Aleluia... finally the atheists recognizes it...
Now, I wait for the protestants to do the same,,,
A matter of attitude.

Reply #227
We seriously need some Muslim, Hindu, Wiccan, and other religions represented in this thread.

Quite fascinating seeing Mr. Howie and Belfrager unite despite their long-standing disagreements.  :right:

Reply #229
Tut, tut, Southern laddie we didn't unite I acknowledged a point in what Belfrager said and could agree with him on and emphasised the differing traditions. Now you want more religions on here because like in Opera we will go round in circles I suppose. Many moons ago a young man I knew going into the RC priesthood said it would be quite something if he could get me to his seminary for a debate with 23 other of his fellows. It didn't come off unfortunately. Maybe just as well as it would have left them in an unfair and beaten situation...

Anyway there are no seminaries here at all now. Goodness the influence I have!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #230
Belfrager and Howie agree that Catholicism and Protestantism are different. I disagree. To me the difference seems marginal. Anglican church is Catholicism without the Pope. Lutheranism is Catholicism without the Pope and extensive idolatry. That's the entire difference.

There are more differences between fundie sects and established denominations than between Catholicism and Protestantism. Fundies represent a real difference, a real alternative, if it be called that, namely, differences in theology, forms of worship and level of intrusion of church into personal life. The (dis)agreements of Belfrager and Howie are simply amusing.

@Colonel Rebel
I put up a thread for Buddhism. You can do the same for Hinduism and Wiccan.

Reply #231
All religions are alike in one major respect.

Reply #232
Belfrager and Howie agree that Catholicism and Protestantism are different. I disagree. To me the difference seems marginal. Anglican church is Catholicism without the Pope. Lutheranism is Catholicism without the Pope and extensive idolatry. That's the entire difference.

You couldn't be more wrong.
Catholicism and Protestantism are much more than mere religion nuances. Besides deep doctrinal and philosophical religious differences, totally irreconcilable,  both are at the foundations of the actual clash of civilizations happening in the world.

You can't search for a religion without understanding that religions expresses an option about the world at such different areas as economics, social, cultural, artistical, philosophical, etc. and not exclusively something separated from the real world because it only regards to the inner spiritual world.

That's why I've been focusing in the sociological side of religion and always emphasizing "organized" religion.

In other words, the Pope is more important and influential than the President of America and Russia together... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #233

You can't search for a religion without understanding that religions expresses an option about the world at such different areas as economics, social, cultural, artistical, philosophical, etc. and not exclusively something separated from the real world because it only regards to the inner spiritual world.

Indeed it never clicked for me why and how this should be so. It would of course be nice if a sweet fluffy religion ruled the planet and ensured everlasting peace amongst people, but I can hardly see this happening, because, by definition, sweet and fluffy would never win in this bitter ruthless world. Truth and justice do not prevail in this world full of lies and evil. Hence "not of this world". To me Jesus' words easily make sense, whereas organised religion doesn't, except as a state-ish organisation with slightly more thorough ideology than mere political ideologies and theories. You seem to affirm the state-ish view:

In other words, the Pope is more important and influential than the President of America and Russia together... :)

But this is not enough for me. I want the other world and religion must show the way there, both as the first and last thing. Otherwise it's insufficient.

Btw, here's another alleluia moment for you: Ulf Ekman lämnar Livets ord och blir katolik
Ulf Ekman leaves Word of Life and converts to Catholicism. Background: Ulf Ekman is the founder of the Christian sect Livets Ord (Word of Life), a Swedish equivalent of the kind of evangelical charismatic fundamentalism plentifully found in America, in fact shaped after the American model. Throughout his life Ulf Ekman has sharply condemned Catholicism. Now that in his ministry he has had real contacts with Catholic church, he ended up leaving his own church and converting. One busy restless soul saved and one sect less. That's a win-win, right?

Reply #234
To me Jesus' words easily make sense, whereas organised religion doesn't, except as a state-ish organisation with slightly more thorough ideology than mere political ideologies and theories. You seem to affirm the state-ish view

It's a front of battle that affects directly our lives.

You see, the strictly personal position about spiritual matters aren't possible of being discussed, or, at least, you can only discuss and deepen it with those that shares more or less the same views. Communication doesn't exists between opposite views.
So, what it rests is that "state-ish" discussion.
One busy restless soul saved and one sect less. That's a win-win, right?

Yes, but not important for me, I'm not an evangelist wanting to convert others.
Swedish culture is not mine and a Swedish Catholic is so close to me as a Kirghistan Catholic would be. They are Catholics living in a non Catholic world and it has to show.

Catholicism, due to it's centralized hierarchy has to deal with this problem, and the way it is done is to give autonomy to local bishops to adequate the main doctrine to the local realities but always with a total discipline towards the Church and the Holy Priest. It works fine, but at the same time it creates a certain separation between distant Catholics.
On the other side, the good part is that you don't assist to lunatics inventing their own versions as you have with the Protestants and Muslims.

But yes, one protestant sect less is certainly a good thing, however very diluted in the ocean of conversions they are suffering. And they are going to convert even more with this new Pope.
The Church does things well done. Slow, but steady. Inexorably.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #236

Besides deep doctrinal and philosophical religious differences, totally irreconcilable,  both are at the foundations of the actual clash of civilizations happening in the world.
Nice!
Civilisational clashes caused by mere delusions, huh?[abbr=:huh:][/abbr]

No, not by mere delusions but by idiots like yourself.
I suppose that you are even a step bellow mere idioticy.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #237
Must say that ersi's stuff about the Anglican and Lutherans is a very limited horse with blinkers. Try saying that to the Episcopals say in Africa for example or the Anglicans in Ulster and then there are the Presbyterians and other mainstream Protestants who are hardly infinitesimal. n fact a headbanger here in a discussion with me came out with the head scratching thing that the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian tradtion) and the Church of Rome were the same! Borders on that rather over simplification from ersi.I leave Belfrager to follow the tradition he wants and am a supporter of freedonm oc hice even if a tradition I am now with.

Reply #238
Of course my simplification of Christian denominations would seem oversimplification when all you know about religion is Christianity. When all you know is Christianity, then the differences between the denominations seem huge, confusing and insurmountable. I have done years of comparative studies in religions (pretty much all religions both historical and current) and to me the differences within Christianity look honestly trifling compared to differences with other religions. Not to mention that Christianity never seemed like something for me in the first place.

Reply #240
:)
My goodness this man never stops...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #241
He's an expert.

Reply #242
An expert in idioticy or bellows:angel:

Reply #244
I leave Belfrager to follow the tradition he wants and am a supporter of freedonm oc hice even if a tradition I am now with.

Protestantism, the way of turning sons of nobody into wannabe noblemen.

" freedonm oc hice" ???
Is that the orangist low classes attempt of speaking Latin? or just hiccups?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #245
You are on shaky ground as one poster whose first language in not English criticising the English of another poster whose first language is not English.

Reply #246
I was speaking with some people at work today, and apparently someone in another district got fired for "continued cursing around a preacher". (The short-term work I am doing is just a step above general labor, and everyone curses on the job, though one generally doesn't curse nearly as much around one's boss.)

Needless to say, I told them that was absolute bs and that said former worker should sue the shite out of the country.
I don't give a damn if the man whose jimmies got rustled is a preacher or not; he isn't special, and if doesn't like the work, quit.

But of course, in this region of the country, people kiss preacher's asses all the time, often putting them on  pedestal.
Bunch of goofy fkcers I work for.....  ::)

Reply #247
Kind of shows the arrogance of youth and arrogant misuse of the grey cells cursing around someone.

Reply #248

You are on shaky ground as one poster whose first language in not English criticising the English of another poster whose first language is not English.

You're calling rjhowie's gibberish 'English'? :eyes: