Skip to main content
Topic: Democracy in America… (Read 70089 times)

Re: Democracy in America…

Reply #100
Might as well give it up, RJ. This thread has become a slug-fest between Oakdale and Sang, the rest of us barely exist here.

Nonsense! RJ talks about the same thing, in every thread… Sang and I have our long-standing differences, which help to pass the time… But the topic here was meant to be the U.S. Left's latest attempt to do away with that pesky "free speech" amendment, which -apparently- interests practically nobody here.
Sobeit.
————————————————————————————————

When it comes to English, or any other language, there at least as many ways to parse the meaning of a sentence as there are speakers of the language.

Hm. If that were true, language would cease to function. No? :) (Consider that a simple reductio…)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #101
.......So: The incumbent Congress and the incumbent State legislators should decide who should be allowed to say what; when and where…
The epitome of democracy! The "powers that be" insist that they persist…un-opposed!.......

It's a sly way for the Party in power to make rules, in this case on campaign spending -- which I along with many consider a 'free speech' issue, which naturally change every time their Arch-Enemies wrest power from the groping hands of the incumbent party.

This is a blatant assault on the 'Right to Free Speech', & all efforts that can be mobilized must be summoned to defeat any effort to effectively modify the First Amendment -- weakening our most basic of Rights....the Rights of Free Speech.

Any restriction to campaign finance must be voluntary --- if at all. It can not be legislated, except through the offering of a Constitutional Amendment, & any such amendment proposed must be nipped in the bud.

Quote from:      http://tinyurl.com/nwwz872   
This amendment abridges fundamental freedoms that are the birthright of Americans. The arguments made to support it are unconvincing. The amendment will weaken, not strengthen democracy. It will not reduce corruption, but open the door for elected officials to bend democracy's rules to benefit themselves. The fact that the Committee took up this amendment at all, and regrettably adopted it, is a great testament to the wisdom of our Founding Fathers in insisting on and adopting a Bill of Rights in the first place.

We recoil from the majority’s citation of poll results on the popularity of First Amendment protected speech as a basis to scale back the protections of the Bill of Rights. As Justice Jackson famously wrote, ‘‘The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One’s right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.’’..........

..........We must preserve our Bill of Rights including our rights to free speech. We must not allow officials to curtail and ration that right. We must not let this proposal become the supreme law of the land...........

Approximately 11,539 measures have been proposed to amend the Constitution from 1789 through January 2, 2013, but failed in Congress.

Let S.J. Res. 19 be added to that list.

Defeat of this proposed amendment is the only acceptable outcome, & any remnants of it's concept must be forcefully cut out like the cancer that it is.

Reply #102
Defeat of this proposed amendment is the only acceptable outcome, & any remnants of it's concept must be forcefully cut out like the cancer that it is.

This amendment wasn't meant (this time; although its previous incarnation might have been…) to pass. It wasn't even meant to "escape" Committee! But some few Republicans decided, What the hell: Let's show the public what the Democrats are up to!
The fact that you and I both know what should "influence" elections is —(wait for it –––––)— arguments, there is a large portion of the electorate (led by a small portion of our elites) that continually seek to "win" by outlawing their opposition; that is, by regulating "argument" away.
I thought we'd settled this a long time ago; in fact, 1789… But as the 20th century dawned and blossomed and rotted… We saw the Common Man become a fictitious character, an idol. Which became the justification of any evil or excess.

A parenthetical thought: (Who ever thought that was a good idea? Marx, maybe; can't think of anyone else… Rousseau, perhaps. But he was an idiot!)
进行 ...

Reply #103
thought we'd settled this a long time ago; in fact, 1789… But as the 20th century dawned and blossomed and rotted… We saw the Common Man become a fictitious character, an idol. Which became the justification of any evil or excess.

I wasn't aware that AT&T, ExxonMobile, and company were the common man. In my defense, I suspect it's an easy mistake to make. You have grandiose ideas about this, but the amendment wasn't against the common man. It's about corporations such as those drowning out the voice of the common man in a flood of money. What you don't seem to understand is the GOP has no use for the common man, except when they want pay lip service to the religious conservatives concerns. Their main concern is for their corporate masters.

Reply #104
Sang, you've Howie'd yourself! :)

I'm not actually surprised… But I'd hoped, for a long time, that you would be. Now, since you demonized your opponents, all you have to do is repeat the mantra "Them, BAD. Us, GOOD!" Heckava way of forging a lasting government…
进行 ...

Reply #105
Really, you can't really think that was an attempt to block speech by "the common man." It was about campaign finance. Speaking of 1789, the drafters of the constitution would turn over in the their graves if they saw that millions of dollars designed to corrupt the nations leaders are somehow free speech. Remember "original intent" which was to allow individuals to freely criticize the government and not for the Kochs and the ilk to buy and sell folks that were supposed to represent the people?

You misdiagnosed the cancer. The malevolent tumor is the corrupting influence of campaign finance 

Reply #106
Really, you can't really think that was an attempt to block speech by "the common man." It was about campaign finance.

Who, I'd ask, provides (and enforces) the definition of "common man"? Who better, than our esteemed elected public servants, eh? :)
The actual limits on contributions to individual campaigns were left intact by Citizens United... (You know that, of course?) What was struck down was McCain-Feingold's limitations on speech, specifically media commercials advertising a bio-pic of a presidential candidate -- one Hillary Clinton.
The reasoning was straightforward: Political speech is protected. The Free Speech clause can't be rescinded by mere legislation or regulation.

What's not so clear (to me, at least) is why you think it can and, worse, that it should be...
进行 ...

Reply #107
You'll forgive me, but I'm not going to be up to arguing with for a few days. You see, I was in an accident and my car is totaled so I can't do with you right now.

Reply #108
Forget the car.How are YOU?

Reply #109
Forget the car.How are YOU?

This.↑↑
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #110
Hope you're okay, Sang. Rest up; I've got lots of time — I'm officially retired, now! :) Sorry about the car, too. But as long as you're okay it's just one of life's inconveniences… Keep smiling; it does help, I've found.
进行 ...

Reply #111
Retired? Congratulations. You have a fondness for words, so maybe you can write a book or two? But join a writer's group, preferably one that lets you read your work and get feedback. You have thick enough skin to withstand criticism. I've written and published two myself and have three more in the oven. My boyfriend's looking over one the published ones for me so I send up a new edition of it.

Anyway, I went online and got approved for a loan and have a couple cars in mind. So, I guess it will be okay once I'm in a new car and this behind me. I might need to sue the manufacturer of the old one though. My friend, who was in the car with me, noted the airbags deployed late. If somebody ran into me at 70 or 75 on the freeway I could have gotten killed.

Reply #112
the airbags deployed late

Good luck with your next car! (Get a model that has pontoons, in case you drive into a lake... :) ) As you must have surmised, I remember when those new-fangled "restraints" (seat belts) were introduced! Damned nuisance, and likely the biggest cause of back-up collisions. (I even know someone who claims to have known someone who hit a fencepost head on and was skewered by it after it came through the windshield: Safety is not to be found in passive systems! Be aware.)
Have fun shopping. I'm sure we'll find our way back to our usual conversational rut in a few days. :)
进行 ...

Reply #113
Sounds like all's well. Good! :)

Reply #114
I might need to sue the manufacturer of the old one though.

Pure America...
My suggestion, sue God too, He could had made some miracle...  and, specially, sue Oakdale, his posts were distracting you... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #115
Okay, back from the car dealer with a new car with no money down and only slightly higher payments
Pure America...

No, really. If indeed they have a problem with airbags deploy too late to do their job, they need to be held accountable and fix the problem before somebody dies.
Safety is not to be found in passive systems! Be aware.)

Danger might be found in those. For a while I was concerned that the airbag might have broken my friend's ribs, but he's okay.
(Get a model that has pontoons, in case you drive into a lake...  :)  )

I was gonna take a trip down to Lake Mead....

Reply #116
I was gonna take a trip down to Lake Mead....

Invest in a parachute or two, and SCUBA gear, too! You can be too careful; but you can't be heedless of the obvious dangers -- without accepting the responsibility.

(Will we get details of the vehicular altercation?)
进行 ...

Reply #117
Pontoons on a car? In heaven's name, why? If you've got more money than sense, go all out and get an amphibious car. They cost like crazy, but there won't be many places you can't go in the thing. I just looked it up, and they have several choices now, including one that looks like a converted Humvee, almost-regular cars, and so help me, a bus-sized RV set up. Below, one of the more "normal" but furiously expensive James Bond wannabe cars.

What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #118
If you've got more money than sense, go all out and get an amphibious car.

In the '60s, amphibious cars were sold… Not many, of course! But (…although, later, I'll argue otherwise…! :) ) Sang has more sense than money. Hence, "safety features" are required; not ego boosters…

(I seem to recall that the Dymaxion, R. Buckminster Fuller's concept car was all-but amphibious!)
进行 ...

Reply #119
Because it's to the point I've been trying to make for years, to you Sang: Note what I think is George Will's best column in a decade!
(He's the fellow who introduced the term "gravitas" into our political lexicon — in a book about baseball… :) )

Would anyone like me to spell out the corollary points, regarding free speech and campaign finance?
进行 ...

Reply #122
Note what I think is George Will's best column in a decade!
(He's the fellow who introduced the term "gravitas" into our political lexicon — in a book about baseball…  :)  )

I think nobody can depute the incidents he brings up in the article. The only possibility is that maybe those whiting strips actually damage teeth and are a dangerous substitute for the real dental procedure. But I'm not making that argument and I don't feel like spending an hour and a half reading article and counter article on that subject to find out.

What I am arguing is that Exxonmobile and friends are not the common man. Frankly, since you made grandiose claims about the common man, the onus is on you to demonstrate that they are instead of me having to define what the common man is.  Citizens United undermines the integrity of the republic and will cause more the corruption George Will writes about and not less. In it's black heart, that case had nothing furthering personal economic (in the small business sense) freedom, the First Amendment, etc. It was about the corporations and their proxies being able maintain their stranglehold on American life.  Strip away the whitewash and find the same old rotten timbers.

Reply #123
How did a corporation ever become a "person"? In the natural, I know what a person is, what an individual is. It's easy enough, go look in the mirror and you'll see one--- unless you're Count Dracula, I understand looking in mirrors is a problem for him.

Corporations have people in them-- numbering from very small numbers to several thousand-- but should not be, in and of themselves, "people". How can Exxon dare say the corporation speaks as one for all the thousands who work there, in political matters? Not just the big corporate either--- I seem to recall unions do the same-- politicians seek the vote of AFL/CIO and the Teamsters as if these organizations can serve up their membership as a unified voting bloc, when in fact nothing of the sort is possible. My landlord gets AARP magazine, they've been after me but I never joined--- I know they want to say they are the voice of seniors. Sorry, got my own voice, don't need theirs.

Corporations are a "person" only because our strange laws have made it so. Otherwise-- nope, they may be made up of thousands of actual persons but they're not naturally a person themselves.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #124
What I am arguing is that Exxonmobile and friends are not the common man.
I see: Only the people wearing face-paint banging drums and blocking traffic are…common! :)
If you don't belong to a political party, a church, a charitable organization, a club, a union, etc.; well, you're not a joiner — as they used to say. (There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not much of a joiner, myself. :) ) But do you really want the Red Cross, all the various foundations, Greenpeace and the Sierra Club, the Log Cabin Republicans and IGLYO, [extend the list however you'd like…] to go away?
(Even -gasp!- Planned Parenthood?!)
No, Sang, you don't. You just want the Koch brothers (but not Soros and Steyer…) and ExxonMobile (but not Solyndra?), Ford and Chevy (but not GM and Chrysler…?) to go away, or be quiet! You yourself should get to decide who says what, and where… Failing that, you'd have politicians do so. (You're sure you can get enough "voters" to the polls…)
I'm sorry to say, you just want people who disagree with you to shut up! I sympathize… What I have a problem with is your penchant for wanting to use the government to enforce your Shhh!
Big Business is likely your bugaboo. Big Government is mine.
The IRS and EPA have real power… ExxonMobile and the Kochs, not so much. The Cato Institute and Heritage Foundation -per you- must be stopped! From saying stuff…
Because people who don't agree with you are stupid! And stupid people can be swayed by words — to positions you disagree with. Why, voters might even decide -for themselves, after hearing arguments- who to vote for! And elect politicians you didn't vote for, who might disagree with you…

I assume you've voted (if you voted…) for Harry Reid throughout your adult life… Own it!
And recognize, your case can only win if made in a Star Chamber! (Luckily, our Constitution specifically banned bills of attainder… :) )

(mjm, I assume you're awaiting the Rapture — so you don't really care to get involved… :) )
进行 ...